Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Midnight Voyager posted:

That's the other half.

If the sound quality doesn't match the game, it screams "HELLO I AM A MOD." If the writing sucks, then it doesn't matter how good it sounds. Get them both together and you're good!

(The magical Third Half is making sure your VA's voice isn't loving stupid, but I kinda figured that bit is obvious)

I'm morbidly curious to see some Fallout 3/New Vegas examples of what not to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm morbidly curious to see some Fallout 3/New Vegas examples of what not to do.

there's a marijuana dispensary mod for New Vegas that's exactly what you want but I can't find it

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SeanBeansShako posted:

There was the time a guy made a quest mod to propose to his girlfriend. Complete with bad voice work.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Segmentation Fault posted:

there's a marijuana dispensary mod for New Vegas that's exactly what you want but I can't find it

Uh pardon me but that mod was loving great

strong bird
May 12, 2009

You could play madlibs with starting points for a script and you'll end up with something at least as good as the vanilla writing, if not better, so don't sweat it

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This has probably been said already but I can't state enough how good the Old World Radio VA(s?) is.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Uh pardon me but that mod was loving great

I'm strictly talking about the voice acting here.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Deified Data posted:

This has probably been said already but I can't state enough how good the Old World Radio VA(s?) is.

He's actually what I was thinking about when I said lovely writing kills it. The casual racism of the GNR radio host kills it. The western one is uninspired but not terrible.

Listening to the Twilight Zone ruled though until I heard it repeating, but that took a while.

He needs to work on inflection though, after a few minutes they all sound quite clearly the same person with different scripts.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How is 3 dog racist?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

How is 3 dog racist?

The "character" of 3 dogs cousin in Boston is being stupid, lazy and large amounts of swearing.

3 dog was aight. I'm talking about the VA work for the mod.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nasgate posted:

The "character" of 3 dogs cousin in Boston is being stupid, lazy and large amounts of swearing.

3 dog was aight. I'm talking about the VA work for the mod.

That's not racism that's stereotyping people from a geographical area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DuY4WOMucU

Is not racism, it's a stereotype.

E: I don't have the Old World Radio mod so if there is straight up racism I retract my point.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm strictly talking about the voice acting here.

Oh, fair enough :)

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I feel like the biggest hurdle for me will be doing good writing. I'm not really aiming to do anything super serious so I think I can avoid the lovely self-seriousness that plagues many quest mods. I figure if some of the voice acting quality is goofy then it might as well be for a goofy character. I'll steer away from 'creepy' or 'evil' or 'dark' characters because those always have terrrriiiibbbbllllleeee voice work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

New Vegas has the Courier's Stash, a mod which features the voice talents of CARLOSSSSS.

Or you could play Helgen Reborn for Skyrim and witness the glory of the peanut butter bandit who says MARCUTH JANUTH.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I used to use a cracked copy of photoshop to do my dds work years ago, as some of the scrips made wholesale adjustment a breeze, but now I just use gimp, the dds plugin also handles normalmaps well, giving you a lot of options, I've yet to do much with bumps and specs though.
Blender is legitimately good to learn, but importing and exporting is a problem at the moment, at least until nifskope updates with an .obj importer again,
I've also had a lot of fun with Z-Brush for adjusting/detail work, however, thats still limited by .obj export. &, again, it's not the most intuitive program, but its not as baffling as max or blender. however, i'd imagine its out of the casual modders price range, unless you can get a student discount.

WRT va, imho, its better to have a bunch of mediocre actors rather than one good one and a couple of meh ones, bethesda loves spunking lots of cash one a couple of big names, then relying on the same few people doing the hundred or so npc's you are talking to 99% of the time, with predictable results, one mod for skyrim that was pretty excellent added lots of individually va'd characters.

Plus, you have a repository of international goons with probably no shame who might agree to va. its probably best to outline the personality & character of the uh, character though.

staberind fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 4, 2016

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

staberind posted:

WRT va, imho, its better to have a bunch of mediocre actors rather than one good one and a couple of meh ones, bethesda loves spunking lots of cash one a couple of big names, then relying on the same few people doing the hundred or so npc's you are talking to 99% of the time, with predictable results, one mod for skyrim that was pretty excellent added lots of individually va'd characters.

I never understood why they would spend money on Patrick Stewart only to kill him off instantly. Unless they got him dirt cheap it seemed like a totally inefficient use of money.

Oddly enough, the fact that there are only a handful of voice actors naturally makes mod VA even more jarring, I just get so used to that limited soundscape that anything more shocks me. I imagine it's like a dog seeing color for the time.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, plus, if the direction of the va is bad, and the generic male "yes" sounds like someone on a speed bender, its equally bad,

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I want a mod that puts Heimskr in the middle of Diamond City.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Pwnstar posted:

I want a mod that puts Heimskr in the middle of Diamond City.

The Institute.
The Thalmor.

Oh. My. God.

What will they take next? Your land? Your jobs? Your children? YOUR VERY LIVES?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Rise up children of the Brotherhood! Rise up Minutemen!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

And what does the Brotherhood do? Nothing! Nay, worse than nothing! The Brotherhood machine enforces the will of the Institute! Against its own people!

So rise up! Rise up, children of the Wasteland! Rise up, Mutants! Embrace the word of the mighty Master, he who is both man and Divine!

For we are the children of Master! And we shall inherit both the heavens and the earth! And we, not the humans or their metal slaves, will rule the Wasteland! Forever!

Terrible and powerful Master! We, your unworthy servants, give praise! For only through your grace and benevolence may we truly reach enlightenment!

And deserve our praise you do, for we are one! Ere you ascended and the Three became One, you walked among us, great Master, not as god, but as man!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
At least we dont need to pay extra for horse power armor dlc.

Yet.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

staberind posted:

At least we dont need to pay extra for horse power armor dlc.

Yet.

I hope, one day, people can learn how to get over that and move on.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

To be fair to Bethesda the whole DLC thing as we know it now was still very new at that point, so no one really had any idea how much something like that should cost or what's the acceptable amount of content to sell to people.

Of course we now know that "as much as you can charge" and "as little as you want" are the answers to the conundrums.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

To be fair to Bethesda the whole DLC thing as we know it now was still very new at that point, so no one really had any idea how much something like that should cost or what's the acceptable amount of content to sell to people.

Of course we now know that "as much as you can charge" and "as little as you want" are the answers to the conundrums.

And they followed it up with various good 'Keep' styles mods, A small expansion, and The Shivering Isles which, at the time, was the strongest showing for what DLC could be.

Then an entire decade of never doing something like Horse Armor again, not once, while even rolling equivalent mini-features into free updates to their next big entry into that series.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magmarashi posted:

I hope, one day, people can learn how to get over that and move on.

Moving on, like continuing to support them and buy their games?

their games have always been supremely moddable, they even release a ck, if they were so concerned about profits, they would not do that, as much of their dlc, barring the va, can be created with that.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

staberind posted:

Moving on, like continuing to support them and buy their games?

their games have always been supremely moddable, they even release a ck, if they were so concerned about profits, they would not do that, as much of their dlc, barring the va, can be created with that.

A lot of Bethesda dlc can be sort of recreated, but the full integration of the systems and the quality/consistency of the assets is nowhere near recreatable with the creation kits. Even the mod that hearthstone was either modelled after or used as inspiration was vastly improved upon and allowed for anyone to essentially recreate it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

:neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwYi40tJCA

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

FINALLY.

Seriously, how was this gun (This That Gun) not in the base game?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Seriously. The omission of That Gun is ridiculous given there are other, explicit Blade Runner references in the drat game.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
The answer is pretty simple when you consider the switch to the weapon mod system.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

The answer is pretty simple when you consider the switch to the weapon mod system.

The Alien Blaster made it in just fine, though.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Alabaster White posted:

The Alien Blaster made it in just fine, though.

This is true, but the alien blaster is more of an Easter egg, you have to be level 20, and then you have to find the crashed ship, I suppose they could have done something similar for The Gun.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy
I figured it might be worth sharing this with you guys, since I downloaded the LK-05 Carbine mod off the :nexus: but I found the in-game model a tad out of place.
So I spent a few hours loving around with Nifskope and got this working. I couldn't get the bolt to properly work or iron sights but the reflex scope works great.
It's mainly cobbled together from vanilla assets and a few parts from other modders who I can't remember off the top of my head.

You will want to grab the Lk-05 mod and just dump these models into it's folder.
Edit: I didn't replace all the add-ons etc, mostly since vanilla textures won't map to the models, you'll probably want to console in the weapon mods if you can't craft them.

https://mega.nz/#!NsQUBZSZ!NaXShd6Kbn5mRbEcoH6ZDcAZDz27DpTw6Ul1RMVQiTg
https://mega.nz/#!wtYwSKyI!rZZdWxD6aCwB8FhO5PCvSOCAbPCBoMDbS1_emNwss9A v2 new receiver/flashlight/lam options

Jack Ketch fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 9, 2016

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Jack Ketch posted:

You will want to grab the Lk-05 mod and just dump these models into it's folder.

Nice. I'll toss this into my game when I get home. I'm waiting for someone to put the Chinese Assault Rifle into the game. That thing always looked great.

My mod plans continue. I wrote a sort of 'design doc' for the larger mod I have planned and may have convinced a buddy of mine to help out with writing. He's always been a stronger writer than me so I think that'll be really helpful. I'm also getting much better at modeling! . . . I think!

What do you guys think? It still has some detail work to do but it's mostly complete as far as major parts go. It's at 1,400~ verts right now and I'm not sure if that is too big. I'd like to double the amount of little tentacles down there but that is a lot of verts. I need a Modding Mentor.

Soon it'll be time to learn UVs, texturing and rigging!

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy

Wrr posted:

My mod plans continue. I wrote a sort of 'design doc' for the larger mod I have planned and may have convinced a buddy of mine to help out with writing. He's always been a stronger writer than me so I think that'll be really helpful. I'm also getting much better at modeling! . . . I think!

Looks good.

https://mega.nz/#!QhxHEK6b!uVXGt40CCZbUYX4nXY2FuiZomPZ9ZOsVkcIdxdaEbaM

A few more variations for the receivers with different stuff used for laser sight etc and a working beam but it's not perfect since I had to stitch it together from the beam in the laser rifle auto barrel since the one from the musket wouldn't do anything, if you have the M-79 Thumper mod there's an underbarrel grenade launcher of sorts on one model, I wish I could figure out the attachment system and coordinates so that it's not just the receiver I'm editing but since it was mainly a personal use mod I can live with it.

If someone wants to take this poo poo and do whatever with it, since I doubt I'll turn it into an actual standalone weapon until the GECK drops, be my guest, though dunno if you'd want to toss it on the nexus since I did borrow the front sight from one mod and some rails/mag/mg parts from another.

Jack Ketch fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 9, 2016

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Mad Can: Fury Beans looks good even if it's not something I'd ever use.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9780/

While Strong is looking for the milk of human kindness, have him wear armor made out of a milk dispenser.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If any goons are looking for modding suggestions, I'd love if there was a mod where the high tier mods make the makeshift pipe weapons look like Sten Guns and other lesser known build on the cheap/low materiel 2nd World War weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10792/

Eyyyy, bout time!

• Locked thread