Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

I wish they'd take the kids more often. The US has been suffering a rash of faith healing/natural woo healing deaths among infants and toddlers.

The problem there is that the American system for such things can be so ungodly awful that it can be better to just leave kids with lovely parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

"With our method, the need for the liver will be eliminated entirely"

Given their methods this may be more accurate.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

I've often pondered what we ought to count as "good intentions". Should it be sufficient to sincerely believe that one is doing what's right, even while remaining willfully ignorant of evidence to the contrary? If you blindly assume yourself to be unquestionably right, can there be any reason to believe that you sincerely want to do what's right (as opposed to seizing any lame-o excuse to believe that you are, real world consequences be damned)? Does invoking religious doctrine change anything?

None because kids shouldn't be at the mercy of how arbitrarily stupid their parents might be. At a certain point the kid is just getting neglected and needs to be taken away and cared for.

On the other hand, I have a sincere heartfelt belief that my kid can survive on prayer instead of food.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Halloween Jack posted:

Last I heard, organic maple syrup was recommended as the sugar component in those Mastercleanse things. The one where you drink a mixture of lemon juice, syrup, and red pepper for a few days instead of eating to cleanse your body of "toxins."

As if yoga isn't painful enough.

Those are such a crock of poo poo.
You end up drinking so much fluid that your body just does the needful on it's own.

And it also infuriates me since my Sister (who has a PhD in biochem) goes on about this brand of 'detoxification' and when I tell her that she should really know better she just shuts me out.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 10, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The human body has already an incredibly well-developed and field-tested method of getting rid of 'toxins' (whatever the gently caress those are)

It developed over many, many millions of years and we're alive thanks to it. It's doubtful some quack with a printed-off phd is going to do a better job at developing a better system than millions of years of evolution under the harshest conditions possible on planet earth.

In Bad Science Ben Goldacre did a whole chapter on toxins and how the need to go through these 'detox' programs are not out of some physiological need, the body will take care of that on its own, but a psychological reason because we believe we're purging bad habits or the 'old way' we were living and it makes things nice and clean and complete.

I seem to remember something about something similar being done to child soldiers when they get introduced to a normal life, it's incredibly helpful for both the children themselves and the community if they have some sort of 'cleansing ritual' as it makes the transition from being a killer to being a regular child more palatable.

I'll have to re-read it the book to make sure I'm not misremembering stuff.

e:

http://www.forcedmigration.org/rfgexp/rsp_tre/student/nonwest/nw_12.htm

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 10, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ddraig posted:

I seem to remember something about something similar being done to child soldiers when they get introduced to a normal life, it's incredibly helpful for both the children themselves and the community if they have some sort of 'cleansing ritual' as it makes the transition from being a killer to being a regular child more palatable.

I used to work on a reservation and at least a few Native tribes have rituals and ceremonies for people returning from the military. They follow the same basic idea about transition and cleansing.

I can't help but think that there's value in that.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So similar question, so I don't look like an rear end at the pediatrician.

Just found out my sister and I both had severe reactions to casein based vaccs. (We both have varying degrees of milk allergies. It sucks)

There are vaccines out there if my kid turns out allergic to one of the inactive ingredients, right? I'd rather risk my kid winding up with anaphylaxis than risk them being Typhoid Mikey in school, but the inactive stuff is easily reformulated for these right? Especially cause it seems the big ones are the ones with casein like TDaP. And uh, no, our kid us getting the TDaP.

I'm just really glad I live somewhere sane, and enough of my husband's family remember horrible diseases that I got more poo poo for not having my TDaP booster before getting pregnant than any plans to vaccinate. (See above. Still planning on getting it, but now by OB is aware that I may have a severe reaction to it)

If there aren't egg/casein free vaccines yet, then why the gently caress not? I can't help but think it would only increase rates of vaccinations in kids . All it takes is one kid with an unknown allergy to reset things with the anti-vaxx group. Even though that kid was just going to wind up finding about the allergy some other kind of way, finding out about it via a vacc seems like it can causE probs I

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I am not a doctor. As always, the best practice is to ask the healthcare provider in advance of the vaccination. Having the exact names and manufacturers of the other vaccs you had the bad reaction to would also help clinicians make sure it's not a response to something else in them. I can't speak to reformulation- my guess is that there's only so much demand that would justify side payment to industry for manufactuing in another form (my understanding is that casein-based vaccs are more stable).

On TDaP specifically: the only immediate resource I have is the pink book. The CDC doc I found on TDaP specifically may be out of date, since it was last updated in 2015. Based on it, it looks like one form of TDaP, made by Boostrix, uses casein, but another, by Adacel, does not. The contraindications guidance for practitioners here under "Allergy" discusses other more common allergies, but not casein.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 13, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AA is for Quitters posted:

So similar question, so I don't look like an rear end at the pediatrician.

Just found out my sister and I both had severe reactions to casein based vaccs. (We both have varying degrees of milk allergies. It sucks)

There are vaccines out there if my kid turns out allergic to one of the inactive ingredients, right? I'd rather risk my kid winding up with anaphylaxis than risk them being Typhoid Mikey in school, but the inactive stuff is easily reformulated for these right? Especially cause it seems the big ones are the ones with casein like TDaP. And uh, no, our kid us getting the TDaP.

I'm just really glad I live somewhere sane, and enough of my husband's family remember horrible diseases that I got more poo poo for not having my TDaP booster before getting pregnant than any plans to vaccinate. (See above. Still planning on getting it, but now by OB is aware that I may have a severe reaction to it)

If there aren't egg/casein free vaccines yet, then why the gently caress not? I can't help but think it would only increase rates of vaccinations in kids . All it takes is one kid with an unknown allergy to reset things with the anti-vaxx group. Even though that kid was just going to wind up finding about the allergy some other kind of way, finding out about it via a vacc seems like it can causE probs I

You won't look like an rear end if you ask your doctor a sensible question like this. HTH.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

thespaceinvader posted:

You won't look like an rear end if you ask your doctor a sensible question like this. HTH.

Yeah answering questions like that is literally part of a doctor's job. If you have any question at all for your doctor just ask during an appointment. Be all like "yo, doc! Answer mah questions!" and they probably will.

A doctor that absolutely refuses to even consider answering is a lovely doctor.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Cool. I just don't want to look like I'm trying to avoid vaccination because of an actual legit allergy. (That hopefully our boy won't get, since my hubby has no food allergies in his family)

I can't help but think this poo poo feeds into the anti vacc crowd, since all it takes is someone posting about how vaccines almost killed their baby dvd others latch on to it. Like I don't want to tell anyone about my fears because I still have every intention of getting my kids vacc'd, I just may have to have them done in the ER with epi on hand. Although here's hoping if there's any allergy it winds up being purely a rash/hives like mine. (And lactose intolerant, but that's a different story. I can have lactose without casein and only wind up violating the Geneva convention. A lactose free, casein heavy cheese gives me gifts for hours)

You'd really think with it being more and more common for food allergies to be diagnosed early that they'd start using other transmission mediums. I get why casein (And egg for the flu shot) work so well, but if it encourages more of the crunchy types to vaccinate, especially since they're starting to show that there's some overlap between gluten and casein sensitivities, it's one less argument the crunchy types can use.

Having seen a friend go through pertussis, I would not wish that on anyone. Nor measles. Or mumps. Or meningitis. (Never seen rubella or diphtheria in person, but why the gently caress not get them done?)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I promise you, after having searched for those CDC resources, vaccine component allergies feed into antivaxxers big time. On the other hand, so does the color of the sky outside, a butterfly flapping its wings in Guatemala, and the Mets getting far in the world series.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AA is for Quitters posted:

Cool. I just don't want to look like I'm trying to avoid vaccination because of an actual legit allergy. (That hopefully our boy won't get, since my hubby has no food allergies in his family)

I can't help but think this poo poo feeds into the anti vacc crowd, since all it takes is someone posting about how vaccines almost killed their baby dvd others latch on to it. Like I don't want to tell anyone about my fears because I still have every intention of getting my kids vacc'd, I just may have to have them done in the ER with epi on hand. Although here's hoping if there's any allergy it winds up being purely a rash/hives like mine. (And lactose intolerant, but that's a different story. I can have lactose without casein and only wind up violating the Geneva convention. A lactose free, casein heavy cheese gives me gifts for hours)

You'd really think with it being more and more common for food allergies to be diagnosed early that they'd start using other transmission mediums. I get why casein (And egg for the flu shot) work so well, but if it encourages more of the crunchy types to vaccinate, especially since they're starting to show that there's some overlap between gluten and casein sensitivities, it's one less argument the crunchy types can use.

Having seen a friend go through pertussis, I would not wish that on anyone. Nor measles. Or mumps. Or meningitis. (Never seen rubella or diphtheria in person, but why the gently caress not get them done?)

IIRC with flu specifically, it's a live attenuated vaccine that they can't easily grow any way other than in eggs, hence the eggs.

There are egg-free inactivated versions but you have to specifically request them AFAICT from a brief search..

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The one area in which antivaxx and the rest of the world agree are "don't get a vaccination if you have evidence that it's going to seriously hurt you." The problem is that antivaxxers often have a very tenuous grip on what constitutes evidence. "My baby chose a non-GMO gluten-free lifestyle and she told me in a dream that she doesn't want her body polluted by dirty vaccines" is not good evidence, "my family has a documented history of being allergic to something found in many vaccines" is a totally good reason to be cautious. Talk to your doctor

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 14, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

The one area in which antivaxx and the rest of the world agree are "don't get a vaccination if you have evidence that it's going to seriously hurt you." The problem is that antivaxxers often have a very tenuous grip on what constitutes evidence. "My baby chose a non-GMO gluten-free lifestyle and she told me in a dream that she doesn't want her body polluted by dirty vaccines" is not good evidence, "my family has a documented history of being allergic to something found in many vaccines" is a totally good reason to be cautious. Talk to your doctor

The other stupid thing is you get anti-vaxxers finding out that their baby can't get one vaccine because it will harm them and deciding that absolutely all vaccines are thus bad for the baby. This is stupid; some people can't get specific vaccines but 99% of the rest of us can which is, you know, how herd immunity works. If less than 1% of people can't get a specific vaccine for whatever reason it isn't a huge deal.

You only sound like an anti-vaxxer if you get into the realm of "I don't know doc, I heard that literally every vaccine is filled with Satan and Hitler. Are you sure they're safe?"

Yes. Yes they are.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I haven't been following this thread but I wanted to pop in here to say that David "Avocado" Wolfe is an unironic flat-earther, who truly believes that the world is flat and frequently repeats this on Twitter.

I hope flat-eartherism becomes ensconced in the dogma of conspiracy narratives like chemtrails and the Illuminati.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Copy-paste from my post in YCS:

Here's my issue with the current crop of leftist candidates, they are usually all for consumer protection, but the moment a consumer needs to be protected form the horrible fraudulent billion dollar alternative quack medicine industry they are all for individual freedom and personal responsibility. Hillary has a quack personal physician but seems to keep it a personal matter. Bernie unfortunately not so much, here's Bernie at a conference for quacks in 2010

Please Bernie no in 2010 posted:

To me, the increasing integration of CAM and conventional care just makes sense. Research shows that more people are demanding and turning to integrative care because it parallels their personal values and desire to be treated as a whole person. For a wide variety of reasons, more and more people are not simply content to go to a doctor’s office, get a diagnosis and take a pill. They want to know what the cause of their medical problem is and how, when possible, it can be best alleviated through natural, non-invasive or non-pharmaceutical means.

I believe integrative health care offers an excellent opportunity to address these and many other issues and improve our too-expensive and not always-effective “sick-care” system.
http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/must-read/sanders-remarks-on-complementary-and-alternative-health-care

For those that don't know, CAM or integrative healthcare means combining non-proven and ineffective healthcare like homeopathy, acupuncture with regular science-based medicine. Blending the distinction between an actual doctor and a (often well meaning) quack.
This support unfortunately is not only hypothetical, according to the quacks Bernie is responsible for Obama care covering alternative medicine:

quote:

The current chair is Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont), who is credited with inserting the licensed complementary and alternative medicine professions into the workforce Section 5101 of the Affordable Care Act. He’s also a strong advocate for vast expansion of access to integrative services across the Veterans Health Administration (VHA)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566452/

This provides undeserved legitimacy and subtracts from the funding for actually effective, science based medicine.

My question for Bernie supporters, please write your candidate and have him desist from ruining US healthcare with quackery. The fact that there is a NIH position for alternative medicine is already an affront.

Edit: for more on bernies history with alternative medicine
http://time.com/4249034/bernie-sanders-alternative-medicine-cancer/

IAMNOTADOCTOR fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 15, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Wow, that's...really bad. What do you mean by HRC having a quack physician? Also, could you link your YCS post?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 16, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Complementary medicine can include thing make people feel safe and respected--what "treating the whole patient" usually means. He is misinformed about medicine and knows that people are demanding a thing. For a legislature, that's not the worst thing when you have Orrin Hatch defending homeopathy single-handed for like 40 years.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Wow, that's...really bad. What do you mean by HRC having a quack physician? Also, could you link your YCS post?

Here's the link, haven't written anything else.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765994&pagenumber=257&perpage=40#post457476680

And here's the Clinton doc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hyman_(doctor)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Oy vey, that guy. Well, I'm crossposting it in a couple other threads of relevance.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 16, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Good lord that mans bibliography.

Charismatic Quacks are the loving worst.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Bill Clinton was also into homeopathy, so it makes sense they'd have an "alternative" doctor, heh.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mercury_Storm posted:

Bill Clinton was also into homeopathy, so it makes sense they'd have an "alternative" doctor, heh.

Can't tell if this is a statement of fact or a dick joke.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/seattle-docs-buck-trend-would-allow-vaccine-opt-outs-except-for-measles/

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

quote:

Amid growing calls to limit vaccine exemptions for children in public schools, several Seattle doctors have come up with a controversial plan: Allow personal and religious opt-outs for all shots — except the one that prevents measles.

The proposal, published Friday in the journal Pediatrics, flies in the face of current thinking by many medical experts and some lawmakers, like those in California, who passed one of the nation’s strictest vaccination laws, prohibiting nonmedical exemptions.

But Seattle Children’s expert Dr. Douglas Opel and his colleagues, including Dr. Jeff Duchin, health officer for Public Health — Seattle and King County, argue that the well-meaning trend not only infringes on personal liberty, but, more important, it doesn’t work.

“We’re realizing that it’s not a scientific and ethical approach,” said Opel, who specializes in pediatrics and bioethics. “This is less about letting parents choose than about developing sound, sustainable policy.”

Instead of focusing on taking away parents’ right to opt out of vaccination, the doctors say, policymakers should focus on enforcing current immunization mandates and on containing the public-health threat posed by the riskiest vaccine-preventable pathogen: measles.

The measles virus is more contagious than other bugs, such as pertussis, and it poses a serious public-health burden with severe, even deadly, disease, frequent outbreaks and high costs to contain the spread, the authors contend.

The vaccine to prevent measles is safe and effective, Opel said, but it requires a high level of community immunization — an estimated 92 percent to 94 percent — to prevent transmission.

“We believe a policy to eliminate nonmedical exemptions (NMEs) from measles virus alone is more justifiable, sustainable and enforceable than eliminating NMEs from all vaccines,” Opel and his colleagues wrote.

The proposal drew a quick rebuke from officials at the American Academy of Pediatrics, who said the threat from measles is not unique and efforts to single out that disease could backfire, making parents question the usefulness of other shots.

“Far from being unique to measles, the threat to public health and the safety of available vaccines are factors that characterize all vaccine-preventable infections,” wrote Dr. Carrie Byington, chair of the AAP’s committee on infectious diseases, and colleagues. Their response was published in the same journal.

And the plan wasn’t popular with vaccine critics, either. Michael Belkin, a Seattle-area father whose infant daughter died in 1998 after receiving recommended shots, said the new proposal is more restrictive than current vaccine requirements.

“It would strip parents of their right of informed consent — and it will face a concerted grass-roots opposition by parents who read the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-required vaccine package insert and see that the authors’ claim that the measles vaccine is safe is patently false.”

Belkin points to potential risks detailed in the FDA inserts, including encephalitis, and notes that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lists seizures, coma and permanent brain damage as potential risks from the measles, mumps and rubella, or MMR, vaccine.

In Washington state, children who attend public school or day care must be immunized against 11 vaccine-preventable diseases, including measles.

Students may be exempted from the immunization rule if their parents object for medical, philosophical or religious reasons and if they obtain a note or state form signed by a health-care provider. A move to eliminate the personal-belief exemption failed in the state Legislature last year.

About 3.5 percent of children in Washington have exemptions on file, said Duchin. But about 15 percent of kids are simply not up to date on their shots. Their parents don’t necessarily object to the vaccinations, they just haven’t taken steps to make sure the kids are fully immunized.

Before eliminating all nonmedical exemptions to vaccines, it makes more sense to focus on ways to enforce compliance, said the proposal authors. They included Dr. Ed Marcuse, a professor emeritus of pediatrics at the University of Washington; Dr. Matthew Kronman and Dr. Douglas Diekema of Seattle Children’s; and Dr. Eric Kodish of Cleveland Clinic.

In the meantime, eliminating nonmedical exemptions just for measles could help contain disease while still preserving parents’ rights, Duchin said. Parents shouldn’t mistake the proposal as suggesting that vaccines other than the measles shot aren’t important, he noted.

“The message for parents is all children should get recommended vaccines. This message is targeted to policymakers,” he said. “This article is trying to understand what’s the best way to get the most possible kids immunized.”

Meanwhile, Washington State is still in the middle of a whooping cough outbreak. But hey, you know. parental liberty.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Rebochan posted:

But hey, you know. parental liberty.

I'm in complete agreement, but as a reminder, one of the main obstacles in the vaccination debate is how deeply entrenched parental rights are in Constitutional jurisprudence. It's some of the older caselaw in the country, and it's the basis for a range of destructive problems in education, too.

Here's a direct link to the Pediatrics proposal. It's less than 4 pages and worth a read to see some really astonishing "argumentation."

edit: my god this is the worst reasoned argument I've ever seen in an academic article. They don't even care that their risk evaluation for measles versus other VPDs is post hoc. This gives bioethics, not a field known for its rigor, a bad name.

The three reasons for the proposed policy:

1. More politically achievable- other states haven't successfully passed laws removing NMEs yet, so we shouldn't do it. The circularity here is astounding- prescriptive to descriptive to prescriptive again.
2. Political sustainability- there will be less of a backlash than against eliminating all NMEs (by making school vaccination requirements "less coercive").
3. Easier to enforce a single vaccine than a collection. The measles vaccine is relatively simple to administer and track. Cripes, this makes pro-life arguments for abortion clinic regs look legitimate. The tracking and administration of vaccines is a solved problem.

Note the lack of ethical arguments here- there are throwaway references to "liberty" and "coercion", but it doesn't actually do any work in the argument. The most telling thing here for me is the lack of bases or citations for treating the removal of NMEs as substantively coercive. There's really not a good argument that their imposition represents a substantive burden- so the authors just ignore it. Hell, looking at their citations, they have almost no sources for any of their descriptive claims.

I was a dumb and missed an out-of-order paragraph at the end of the article that argues the application of "Least Restrictive Alternative" is the basis for the ethical part of their argument. I've copied and annotated this graf below.

quote:

Perhaps the most persuasive argument against invoking a sweeping policy that eliminates NMEs from all vaccines is that it violates the ethical principle of least restriction.

[Vox sez: "principle" a bit like "right" in bioethics lingo- it's often a flexible, poorly defined construct that is as strong or weak as the author needs it to be.]

This principle offers guidance for balancing the competing values of individual liberty and the common good inherent to vaccination policy: “if two options exist to address a public health problem, we are required, ethically, to choose the approach that poses fewer risks to other moral claims, such as liberty, privacy, opportunity, and justice, assuming benefits are not significantly reduced.”32

[Vox sez: OK, Least Restrictive Alternative(LRA). As the respondents mention below, this is a bastardized version of a legal doctrine normally called "least restrictive means"(LRM)). I am not a lawyer, and what follows is a extra-abbreviated version of an explanation of it. LRM is applied to determine for the proper course of action when a really severe public need means you have to violate someone's fundamental rights for the greater good. It's a part of the strict scrutiny standard of constitutional review. The quintessential legal example was, historically, making public employees disclose their membership in social organizations as part of a character background check. This could be legal if you only looked at, say, NAMBLA membership status for schoolteachers, but it's a problem if you're also seeing if the teacher belonged to a labor union. You do the thing you need to do, but you have to do it in the way that's the least restrictive. The clear-cut example is to destroy someone's house as part of creating a firebreak. Could you bulldoze their front yard instead? OK, that's better, do that. In law, least restrictive means is one part of one way you evaluate if a law that limits someone's rights is constitutional-other factors are involved. Notably, religious speech rights, though technically fundamental and deserving strict scrutiny, rarely prevail over government interests in court (pro tip Opel et al, mandatory vaccination laws are Constitutional).

In medical ethics and law, the LLRM concept comes up when you're figuring out if you need to commit someone to a psych ward or put them in isolation quarantine. Not if you need to give them an FDA-approved shot. LRA is the bioethics version of least restrictive means, meaning that many people who talk about it don't understand its scope, application, or sufficient meaning, but like to wave it around like a magic wand. Opel et al are intentionally mis-citing their sources to get to this interpretation. The rights violation isn't substantive enough, or of the right kind of conduct, for the doctrine to apply. Even if it did, barring all NMEs would still meet it.]

A focused policy that eliminates NMEs just from MV is simply 1 alternative to eliminating NMEs from all vaccines; other effective options include increasing the effort required to claim an NME33 and enforcing current vaccine requirements.34,35 In fact, because these latter options retain the ability to opt-out of all vaccines (hence, are even less restrictive than a focused NME policy) and have yet to be optimized in the United States, they should take priority. Indeed, not only have many states made obtaining NMEs relatively easy,36 but school vaccine requirements often go unenforced. In several states, the proportion of children in 2014 to 2015 who were out of compliance with school vaccine requirements exceeded the proportion exempt.37–39

[Vox sez: Cripes, they're not even applying it correctly. Spoiler alert, none of these "alternatives" accomplish the same effect as actually barring NMEs. Several of these things are stuff that should be happening in addition to an ending of NMEs.

It's theoretically possible to make a similar argument for a phased introduction of mandatory, no-NME vaccine policies based on the diseases the vaccines treat (I don't agree with it, but you could do it). The thing is that this would be a really controversial claim and would need a lot of work and evidence to support why it was necessary- a lot of sources and citations to show that a phased mandatory vaccine policy would produce better health outcomes and would smooth over the political obstacles to implementation. This article provides no evidence, and is instead focusing on one disease for very poorly substantiated reasons, and acting like its selective NME policy should exist unto perpetuity. There are references to ethical problems with mandatory vaccination, but they're never remotely explained or described!

On the bright side, it's fairly clear that Pediatrics published this only in order to tear it to shreds.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 19, 2016

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's a direct link to the Pediatrics proposal. It's less than 4 pages and worth a read to see some really astonishing "argumentation."

Walled, sadly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

eNeMeE posted:

Walled, sadly.

my bad-you're not missing much unless you like feeling embarrassed that someone is getting to publish elementary school-level arguments in Pediatrics. I'll see if there's a legal mirror I can give you.

edit: no luck so far, but here's a response, also paywalled, sadly, that absolutely disassembles them.

Here's the ethics graf. Nancy Kass is one of the leaders of the Berman center for Bioethics at Johns Hopkins- she's basically as close to an ironclad source as can exist- her work is very very very good, and she's more careful with her arguments than most other major bioethics figures. That's not to say that she's right about this, or anything in particular- just to indicate why she's being mentioned by name.

quote:

Apart from their comments on R0 and the public health impact of vaccine-preventable infections, Opel et al1 inappropriately assert that, with the exception of measles vaccine, honoring religious exemptions is ethically required as the LRA.

[voxnote-Least Restrictive Alternative, is a not very useful bioethics concept that's actually a legal concept poorly adapted by some bioethicists. I missed the discussion of it in my first read of the Opel text(because it's like a sentence and I missed it peering through the red haz)- I'll discuss it above]

The LRA doctrine, however, was developed by the courts to address serious deprivations of personal liberty, such as involuntary commitment and quarantine10 and so is not generalizable to all public health activities.11,12 Indeed, Nancy Kass,13 whom Opel et al1 quote regarding choice in public health interventions, stated later in the same paragraph that voluntariness is required only if most people say yes to an intervention if asked. The fact that more people are saying no to vaccines is precisely the problem we are now facing in the United States, which undermines the application of even an expansive interpretation of the LRA.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 19, 2016

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

my bad-you're not missing much unless you like feeling embarrassed that someone is getting to publish elementary school-level arguments in Pediatrics.

To be fair, they're simply adapting themselves to their audience. :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

To be fair, they're simply adapting themselves to their audience. :v:

...I handed you that on a silver platter.

I've updated my two posts to explain the ethical arguments both the articles make.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

These people should lose their licenses to practice medicine. Same goes for any doctor who pushes holistic garbage. They should be blacklisted and prohibited from working in the medical community until they demonstrate they're actually going to work for their patients' well-being as they're supposed to.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Seattle Children's and KC Public Health have generally been great organizations to deal with, but every nice shoe gets dogshit on it once in a while, I guess.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Again, the lead author, Opel, is a prof of bioethics. That's pretty intolerable.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
...wait, didn't California pass a law eliminating nonmedical vaccine exemptions? Or was it less strict than that?

EDIT: Yeah, California's law eliminates personal and religious exemptions for vaccination. So the first argument in that paper falls flat.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Tarezax posted:

...wait, didn't California pass a law eliminating nonmedical vaccine exemptions? Or was it less strict than that?

EDIT: Yeah, California's law eliminates personal and religious exemptions for vaccination. So the first argument in that paper falls flat.

The argument of the paper is basically "oh, yeah, CA and VT did it, but there's no way it will happen in other states, and besides, it's unethical because reasons"

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
One might argue it's unethical to let plague bombs into public schools, while we're making a list.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Discendo Vox posted:

The argument of the paper is basically "oh, yeah, CA and VT did it, but there's no way it will happen in other states, and besides, it's unethical because reasons"

Well they can't argue it's illegal because the SCOTUS ruled years ago that mandating inoculation for public health concerns is within the government's authority. So if a state says "gently caress your personal stupidity, you're getting the shot unless you will have an adverse reaction to it" they don't have a choice. Getting vaccinated should be required by Federal Law.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Volcott posted:

One might argue it's unethical to let plague bombs into public schools, while we're making a list.

I Don’t Vaccinate My Child Because It’s My Right To Decide What Eliminated Diseases Come Roaring Back

quote:

Look, I’ve done the research on these issues, I’ve read the statistics, and I’ve carefully considered the costs and benefits, and there’s simply no question in my mind that inciting a nationwide health emergency by unleashing a disease that can kill 20 percent or more of its victims is the right one for my child.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

They've let a deadly preventable virus come back to life. Their whole movement should be punished and humiliated by making them lose court cases and then forcibly inoculated live on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Discendo Vox posted:

On top of that, Mississipi and West Virginia have never had religious or personal exemptions to vaccination. They've also never had rampant outbreaks due to lack of vaccination!

Vermont still allows religious objections :smith:

Rebochan fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 21, 2016

• Locked thread