Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I know who will finish the game!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

D_Smart posted:

hehe, it's great that I don't do that then :)

btw, Friday's build is up on DSS with a boatload of fixes http://lodmmo.com/known-issues/ and a major update to the space scenes. Oh! and new jetpack models!!

well fine what is up with the water jello? I crashed into a lake and then holy poo poo weird waves

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

BMan posted:

No, John. You are the demons.

Proud to say I got that reference.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Haskell9 posted:

well fine what is up with the water jello? I crashed into a lake and then holy poo poo weird waves

No clue. I haven't even been in the water in a while. Since it's not a integral part of the game - though we do have two subs - it's just "there" (like the terrain).

We use Triton middleware for that; so it probably needs some parameter tweaking. I will take a look during my next production review pass this weekend.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
OK, I have to ask. If this were any dev or publisher, does anyone believe they'd get away with poo poo like this?

- advertise ship
- spergs buy ship en masse
- deliver different ship than promised
- go back and revise all previous statements and descriptions about said ship

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6405549/#Comment_6405549

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

runsamok posted:

The one thing the loyalists never manage to figure out is that between their "everything is alpha" and "they've done so much to lay the foundations" branches of apologetic rhetoric they've basically described a Ship of Theseus. Everything is alpha, and will likely need to be replaced whole cloth (DX12 renderer upgrade, net code refactoring, instance & server management, back-end databases for persistence just to cite things that are either in-game or will be "soon"TM), meaning they haven't laid the foundation for poo poo at this point & are only dicking around over-polishing turds to placate their cognitively-dissonant funding suppliers. If every system in the game needs to be replaced before they can meet their obligations, it's not even a tech demo at this point. It's a loving tech wank/experiment that eats money and shits out F- grade promotional materials. They have no idea what the loving game is gonna be, much less how the gently caress to cobble together this pile of bubblegum & baling wire that is the Crusader sandbox into whatever shape they're gonna need it to be.

Dead on. It's a test prototype at best. "Here's some code that might do some of the things we were hoping to do. Probably have to scrap it and start over, but it's giving us some good ideas."

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://www.facebook.com/RobertsSpaceIndustries/posts/1019002848141737

Lol, if the answer to a simple question like "what do i need to buy to play this" is: "go here and follow directions", you're doing something wrong.
Also, what on earth is a "true alpha". Are there fake ones?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

orcinus posted:

yeah those pesky fake alphas that offer content close to representative of a product

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

orcinus posted:

https://www.facebook.com/RobertsSpaceIndustries/posts/1019002848141737

Lol, if the answer to a simple question like "what do i need to buy to play this" is: "go here and follow directions", you're doing something wrong.

I'll give the cultists some credit, most of them agree the website/store is utter confusing poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

orcinus posted:

The animated background combined with the sprites is what's messing it up.
You can't optimize very well because there's too many pixels changing from frame to frame.

we dont buy jpegs :smug:

we buy gifs

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Xun posted:

I know who will finish the game!!!

LOL @ CIG dumpster-diving for talent. This makes me so happy.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

OK, I have to ask. If this were any dev or publisher, does anyone believe they'd get away with poo poo like this?

- advertise ship
- spergs buy ship en masse
- deliver different ship than promised
- go back and revise all previous statements and descriptions about said ship

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6405549/#Comment_6405549

I just can't believe they've gotten away with this kind of poo poo for so long. Arena Commander is dead, and the Alpha PU is absolutely stillborn. There's no question that APU contains nothing resembling the game, and is just a shambolic prototype, and they can't even get THAT to work!

It honestly takes a very, very special combination of stupidity and vanity to believe in Star Citizen at this point.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Toops posted:

I just can't believe they've gotten away with this kind of poo poo for so long. Arena Commander is dead, and the Alpha PU is absolutely stillborn. There's no question that APU contains nothing resembling the game, and is just a shambolic prototype, and they can't even get THAT to work!

It honestly takes a very, very special combination of stupidity and vanity to believe in Star Citizen at this point.

I love when Roberts was ranting about the "master world" server that oversees all the instances to track trading and all the other stuff. They are still looking into it.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Star_Citizen

Derek, do you feel personally disgruntled today?
Gawd, why does 90% of shitizens have these weird speech/writing patterns?

e: Surprise surprise, it's someone from germany.

orcinus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 10, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

orcinus posted:

Good god, for the first time I actually took a look at the Star Citizen article on Wikipedia. The first paragraph is a laugh.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

orcinus posted:

#TeachTheControversy

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Good god, for the first time I actually took a look at the Star Citizen article on Wikipedia. The first paragraph is a laugh.

the whole section on Star Marine is pretty god dang hilarious now

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

quote:

A central theme of the game is citizenship – or lack thereof – in the UEE, which must be earned through player actions such as completing a period of military service. It is anticipated that citizens will enjoy certain in-game benefits, like paying a reduced tax rate, but the exact details are yet to be determined.
:eyepop: more like Starbertarian.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I reiterate, these are the type of people who think that the future depicted in Starship Troopers is unironicaly good and cool

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Star Citizen - The exact details are yet to be determined

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In my case it was a slow, progressive burn.

First I joined in the KS for around $35. Seemed like a good idea, game was promising, $35 for two games from a guy who I remembered fondly seemed like a good idea. I upped the donation to around $100 in June of the following year. The progress I had seen from CIG was pretty good and I figured it was worth it because I liked the appeal of a completely crowdfunded game. A few months later I got a subscription mostly because I wanted to get 104TC questions answered. I'd say that was worth the hilarity. At the same time I helped a lot of other spergs get ships and made a bunch of cash on tips. Three years later my total spent was around $600, most of which was subscription fees and all of which I had made back by selling other ships.

For me the belief was in Chris Robert's vision tempered by the professional work of guys like Eric Peterson, Erin Roberts, and Rob Irving. The original web show done by CIG was Wingman's Hangar and it was hosted by Eric and Rob. They provided concise, thoughtful answers on a wide variety of topics and didn't shy away from discussing the challenges. Then CIG cancelled their show, they left the program, and we've been listening to CR make poo poo up ever since.

I know this is from a few pages back, but goddamn. This thread reads like a survivor group sharing session.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Decrepus posted:

Star Citizen - The exact details are yet to be determined

But have been developed for over twenty years.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Scruffpuff posted:

Dead on. It's a test prototype at best. "Here's some code that might do some of the things we were hoping to do. Probably have to scrap it and start over, but it's giving us some good ideas."

The Theseus paradox is good reading. For those who don't know it, Theseus had this kickass ship, and over time, maintaining the ship lead to every plank and oar being replaced. So philosophers argued about whether the restored ship should be considered "the same."

I like the Aristotle solution, using the 4 causes to define an object:
1. The formal cause (in this case, the design of the thing, it's architecture)
2. The material cause (what it's made out of, in this case, code and digital assets)
3. The final cause (what is it's intended purpose)
4. The efficient cause (how and by whom the thing is made, I would venture to say this applies best to "StarEngine", and the programmers at CIG)

IMO software actually should change, constantly. Your first idea is almost never your best one. Code is much more flexible than a ship. You can let the design come to you with relatively small impact. You can't "iterate" on a ship, your design better be drat close to spot on, or you're gonna have to tear the whole thing down and start over.

This is more dangerous in game design, because of how tightly coupled the art assets are to the game logic that acts on them. So you have to design your code to be as agnostic as possible to the art assets. Either that, or your initial design better be drat near perfect.

My biggest issue with CIG is that they've designed a system that ruins all the advantages programming offers, for the sake of Chris Roberts's stunted and ill-pondered opinions on "Fidelity." So now, they actually can't make changes in any reasonable amount of time. Let's just run a thought experiment about CIG's "realistic thruster-based flight system."

1. An artist designs a ship. He tries to place the thrusters logically around his best guess at the center of mass, so if thrust where to shoot out of there, the ship would be balanced. . A lot of time and polish goes into this initial phase, because the ships are used to generate revenue and marketing hype and must look amazing. When he's done, he hands the ship model over to the programmer.

2. The programmer's job is to turn the thruster sub-meshes into physics objects which emit force, and tie that into player input. He adds logic to accept mouse movements, joystick movements, and keyboard input, and route that input to the input-thruster map, which will (hopefully) generate forces in the right places at the right time and create the desired physical effect. After very serious programming work, including many creative and innovative ideas, the thing is ready to try out in the editor. He thrusts forward and the thing, predictably, flops around and spins off like a wounded bird. He sighs, hooks up debuggers and real-time analysis tools, and figures out what the forces are doing, why they're hosed, and where the artist should move the thrusters. This involves a lot of vector math. Finally he hands the thing back to the artist with the data, and some suggestions.

3. The artist takes one look at the suggestions and goes, gently caress, I'm gonna have to re-sculpt the hull, change the height of the cockpit, oh and the wings can't retract now or else they'll clip through where the thrusters will be. Ok, I'll just move the wings up more. Cool. He sends it back to the programmer.

4. Now that the wings have moved, and the cockpit is smaller and the hull is narrower, the center of mass is different. The thing still flies like frozen poo poo ejected from an airplane. The programmer sends it back to the artist, shows him where the CoM should be, and asks if there's some way to solve the issue. Artist says sure!

5. Artist changes the ship again to address mass.

6. Programmer gets the ship back, and now the ship is almost flying straight! It still veers pretty hard left, but this is progress! He works for hours, and hours, and hours tweaking XML config and changing the way thrusters rotate to try and get the thrusters just perfect. Because if they're not absolutely perfect, the ship will flat-out not be flyiable. It's almost there!! But it just won't fly straight. He proposes a couple more changes to the artist.
... and back
... and forth
... and back
... and forth
this goes on and on and on. Eventually the artist and the programmer are loving gutted, drained, and don't care any more. They cheat and add phantom mass and thrusters, and finally the ship flies and rotates predictably. At this point, it's a cobbled mess, and it doesn't feel good to fly. But at least it's not embarrassingly bad. The talent has been stretched to their creative and emotional limits and drained dry by a silly child's idea.

Now do this for every ship.

Welcome to CIG.

Toops fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 10, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i sincerely hope the big dramatic crash comes soon. i love following along with star citizen thread but i don't think i can take another protracted year of them dribbling out poo poo and people sinking more money into their nonsense.

i guess i'm just impatient. i really want to slap some of these backers till they realise how badly they've got it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kordansk posted:

I know this is from a few pages back, but goddamn. This thread reads like a survivor group sharing session.

That's because it's a loving cult.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

"All right everybody stop what you're working on! Erin, pull some guyeez off the fifth Squadron 42 mocap animation pickup and finessing werk-- I need some brand new pre-viz videos on Space Farming -- and make it 4K 60fps.

Sandi, get me some sort of a Anvil Aerospace space tractor concept from Ryan Church-- no I don't care if he's working on Episode VIII-- tell him we'll double his pay.

And Ben, get a sale ready on The Anvil Harvester... 3 variants-- uhh, one for fruits, grains-- eehhhuhh how are legumes dun? Anybody?"

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

This is a screen cap from the Brady Bunch Reboot

I feel like theres a SC themed song in here somewhere.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Toops posted:

The Theseus paradox is good reading. For those who don't know it, Theseus had this kickass ship, and over time, maintaining the ship lead to every plank and oar being replaced. So philosophers argued about whether the restored ship should be considered "the same."

I like the Aristotle solution, using the 4 causes to define an object:
1. The formal cause (in this case, the design of the thing, it's architecture)
2. The material cause (what it's made out of, in this case, code and digital assets)
3. The final cause (what is it's intended purpose)
4. The efficient cause (how and by whom the thing is made, I would venture to say this applies best to "StarEngine", and the programmers at CIG)

IMO software actually should change, constantly. Your first idea is almost never your best one. Code is much more flexible than a ship. You can let the design come to you with relatively small impact. You can't "iterate" on a ship, your design better be drat close to spot on, or you're gonna have to tear the whole thing down and start over.

This is more dangerous in game design, because of how tightly coupled the art assets are to the game logic that acts on them. So you have to design your code to be as agnostic as possible to the art assets. Either that, or your initial design better be drat near perfect.

My biggest issue with CIG is that they've designed a system that ruins all the advantages programming offers, for the sake of Chris Roberts's stunted and ill-pondered opinions on "Fidelity." So now, they actually can't make changes in any reasonable amount of time. Let's just run a thought experiment about CIG's "realistic thruster-based flight system."

1. An artist designs a ship. He tries to place the thrusters logically around his best guess at the center of mass, so if thrust where to shoot out of there, the ship would be balanced. . A lot of time and polish goes into this initial phase, because the ships are used to generate revenue and marketing hype and must look amazing. When he's done, he hands the ship model over to the programmer.

2. The programmer's job is to turn the thruster sub-meshes into physics objects which emit force, and tie that into player input. He adds logic to accept mouse movements, joystick movements, and keyboard input, and route that input to the input-thruster map, which will (hopefully) generate forces in the right places at the right time and create the desired physical effect. After very serious programming work, including many creative and innovative ideas, the thing is ready to try out in the editor. He thrusts forward and the thing, predictably, flops around and spins off like a wounded bird. He sighs, hooks up debuggers and real-time analysis tools, and figures out what the forces are doing, why they're hosed, and where the artist should move the thrusters. This involves a lot of vector math. Finally he hands the thing back to the artist with the data, and some suggestions.

3. The artist takes one look at the suggestions and goes, gently caress, I'm gonna have to re-sculpt the hull, change the height of the cockpit, oh and the wings can't retract now or else they'll clip through where the thrusters will be. Ok, I'll just move the wings up more. Cool. He sends it back to the programmer.

4. Now that the wings have moved, and the cockpit is smaller and the hull is narrower, the center of mass is different. The thing still flies like frozen poo poo ejected from an airplane. The programmer sends it back to the artist, shows him where the CoM should be, and asks if there's some way to solve the issue. Artist says sure!

5. Artist changes the ship again to address mass.

6. Programmer gets the ship back, and now the ship is almost flying straight! It still veers pretty hard left, but this is progress! He works for hours, and hours, and hours tweaking XML config and changing the way thrusters rotate to try and get the thrusters just perfect. Because if they're not absolutely perfect, the ship will flat-out not be flyiable. It's almost there!! But it just won't fly straight. He proposes a couple more changes to the artist.
... and back
... and forth
... and back
... and forth
this goes on and on and on. Eventually the artist and the programmer are loving gutted, drained, and don't care any more. They cheat and add phantom mass and thrusters, and finally the ship flies and rotates predictably. At this point, it's a cobbled mess, and it doesn't feel good to fly. But at least it's not embarrassingly bad. The talent has been stretched to their creative and emotional limits and drained dry by a silly child's idea.

Now do this for every ship.

Welcome to CIG.

The Theseus (vs Cutty Sark) conundrum used to describe the trouble with transporters on Star Trek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQHBAdShgYI

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

G0RF posted:

"All right everybody stop what you're working on! Erin, pull some guyeez off the fifth Squadron 42 mocap animation pickup and finessing werk-- I need some brand new pre-viz videos on Space Farming -- and make it 4K 60fps.

Sandi, get me some sort of a Anvil Aerospace space tractor concept from Ryan Church-- no I don't care if he's working on Episode VIII-- tell him we'll double his pay.

And Ben, get a sale ready on The Anvil Harvester... 3 variants-- uhh, one for fruits, grains-- eehhhuhh how are legumes dun? Anybody?"

but sandi didn't order 4k monitors

you're fired. you're fired

hullo?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Lol At shitizens for trying to take a pop at The Division. A game, by hated evil big publisher Ubisoft, which had a few entirely understandable server issues in the first hours it was online but now works pretty flawlessly, has a fantastic, working PVP game aspect, and had a BETA which was essentially the finished game - just walled off a bit. All without me having to buy a JPEG of my machine gun for 500 bucks. For anyone who HAS played videogames in the last decade I highly recommend it. It's really good fun. Crobbetto should get a copy

Although it did take me FOUR tries to walk out of the starting location without falling through the ground...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Eonwe posted:

i wouldn't even marry him the once

I wouldn't even show up for the wedding. (Unless it was host bar, then I would do my damned best to bankrupt the company.)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Toops posted:

The Theseus paradox is good reading...

:words:

Welcome to CIG.
Pro-tier post, Toops!

I'd say it was a pleasure to read but since it distilled the daily nightmare of the CIG rank-and-file, I just kept thinking of that yellow sticky at Foundry 42...

":(
Fix all the things..."

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There is always more and it is always worse:

Parp
Star
Citizen
It's not a real game
What a fuckup

I can't be in space if it's plastic
To pay for a ship just seems tragic
But they'll throw you some junk and it will break
You thought it was real but it was fake

So now you got junk
And it will break you
Thought it was real but it was fake

Now you got junk
And it will break you
Thought it was real but it was fake.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

G0RF posted:

Not enough um-ing and err-ing. 5/10 :mediocre:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

Not enough um-ing and err-ing. 5/10 :mediocre:

Mine was the INN version.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Stop preordering video games

This post is not about zany star citizen

This post is not about oh what about pillars of eternity or ftl or

Just stop preordering video games

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
except call of duty

alwa;ys predorder

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Can I preorder Line of Defense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer