Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Elfgames posted:

Ranger Sentai Hikranger

River Sentai Kayakranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Akett posted:

You kind of get that with Hibiki. Though I haven't seen much of Hibiki.

I haven't seen any Hibiki, but I know it takes a big nosedive partway through,

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pinwiz11 posted:

River Sentai Kayakranger

nah the kayak is either the sixth ranger or the mecha

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For how much I may dislike Ginga, more Ultraman brought to Crunchyroll can only mean good things I hope.

Like, they wouldn't KEEP bringing series over if they weren't doing well enough right?

We're so close to having all of Heisei Ultraman, in TV form anyways, subbed completely. All we're missing is Dyna!

and I guess Cosmos I GUESS. We nearly have all of the Ultraman tv series subbed as is which is fantastic.

It'd be great if we could get the Heisei UltraSeven series but that's likely asking a bit much. Crunchyroll doesn't tend to roll with OVA style series, and they might have a hard time categorizing it due to it running from 94 to 2002.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

That was uh... quite a knowledge bomb about Makoto that got dropped in a pretty off-hand type of way. I guess we can probably get an accurate read on what story beat is gonna coincide with his upgrade form .

But it wasn't really surprising. :confused: They mentioned something earlier which made me suspect that a couple of eps ago. Combined with the whole spectre vs ghost vs necron thing and it was fairly obvious.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Darth TNT posted:

But it wasn't really surprising. :confused: They mentioned something earlier which made me suspect that a couple of eps ago. Combined with the whole spectre vs ghost vs necron thing and it was fairly obvious.

Yeah, now that I think about it, Alain said something along the lines of like "Yeah physical bodies are for chumps, amirite Specter?"

I just thought it was funny how casually he verified it during the lull in the fight.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Elizabeth Banks as Rita? :psyduck:

Been watching Supaidaman. That show is way more entertaining than it has any right to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPN34_IkUH0

I also prefer the children in this show as opposed to the ones in Kamen Rider Black, and it's surprisingly dark for a show aimed at children. There's suicide and stuff like that in it.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 4, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Joe Gillian posted:

Elizabeth Banks as Rita? :psyduck:

I don't think it's a stretch? We've seen her as a flamboyant weirdo with outlandish outfits and hair already in Hunger Games, she can definitely pull off the aesthetic.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I've never watched any of the Hunger Games movies, so I guess that part was lost on me. God I hope she does the loving voice. That'd be worth the price of admission alone.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hope Elizabeth just has the most fun with Rita.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Joe Gillian posted:

I've never watched any of the Hunger Games movies, so I guess that part was lost on me. God I hope she does the loving voice. That'd be worth the price of admission alone.

Apply appropriate color correction filters to turn that dress brown.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm really liking that Ghost added a monster man to the normal crew/idiot squad. Just a dopey painter trying to live life.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm really liking that Ghost added a monster man to the normal crew/idiot squad. Just a dopey painter trying to live life.

I'm legitimately amazed he survived so I'm seriously hoping he's just around for the rest of the series.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'm legitimately amazed he survived so I'm seriously hoping he's just around for the rest of the series.

I have concerns about him surviving. I hope it's not a Necrom shenanigan.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'd think he'd get done kind of human form so there's less buggering around with the costume.

Now that we know the old man is the magister of the Ganma, what is Yurusen? The queen? A jester? Just another rude ghost?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Akett posted:

I did only say kind of. As far as I understand it the series has a lot more to do with teamwork than most KR things, but I've only seen the first five or so episodes so I don't really know poo poo.

To a degree, the big thing is that each specific type of Oni is strongest against certain types of Makamou. Hibiki was a drum-type, and early on in the series he fights a particular Makamou that he can't do very well against, as string-type Oni are better suited. So yeah depending on the monster Hibiki sometimes isn't suited to deal with it, and so the others have to help him out. Though of course there's Sabaki, who uses a unique instrument that's both drum and trumpet, but he gets his rear end kicked every time he shows up.

mikeycp posted:

I haven't seen any Hibiki, but I know it takes a big nosedive partway through,

Yeah, right after episode 30, which is when the movie came out and the production team changed, there were a lot of changes in the show's style and themes, and the writing was really poor too. They introduced a "rival" character to Asumu who was a giant rear end in a top hat (played by the guy who went on to become Yuuto in Den-O) and giving Hibiki his powered up form which kind of destroyed the whole "certain types against certain monsters" thing since now Hibiki could go into Armed form with his sword and just do whatever. And well, ending spoilers:

The show had pretty clearly been building up in the first part to Asumu becoming Hibiki's successor, the Hyper Battle Video even has Asumu transform into Hibiki. When the rival is introduced, it changes to Asumu changing his mind and not wanting to become an Oni. On one hand, I sort of appreciate the message of "You don't need to be a superhero to make the world a better place," on the other hand it was done in a very unsatisfying way and threw away all the character development Asumu had in the first part.

The post-30 episodes ruin Hibiki for a lot of people. It still stands as my favorite Rider series, but I definitely understand why people don't care for Hibiki overall purely because of how it turns out in the end.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Yeah it was a huge shock to me that he survived so I'm hoping that he's in more episodes.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Yeah, that completely surprised me and then I had to explain to the people in the room with me (I was watching this at home with headphones on a laptop) when I suddenly stated out loud "Oh man! They pulled a Mole Beastman!"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah I think that's one of the reasons Hibiki AR is one of the best liked of the ones introduced in Decade(I'm actually kinda surprised they haven't used the existence of the AR worlds as an excuse to replace past Riders with new actors after Decade ended)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Zoo 4 is up

Next episode: Gorilla

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ghost 21 and Rider Souls 3 & 4 are now up.

It looks like the Ganma, Cubi is sticking around for a bit. Also, I smell the makings of a coup.

As for Rider Souls, Gaim Ghost doesn't look half bad and jobbing is a plot point.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
there are like 2 coups going on. the sage definately doesn't want the utopia that is the ganma world and the oldest son seems to be preparing something too

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Gotta wonder just what the point is of bringing a single dead human back to life. It would be understandable if the sage tried to interfere with the wish, but it is pretty clear that he actually wants Kouta to revive. I dunno, maybe a revived human with a ghost driver would be capable of taking on the ganma royalty somehow?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Serious Frolicking posted:

Gotta wonder just what the point is of bringing a single dead human back to life. It would be understandable if the sage tried to interfere with the wish, but it is pretty clear that he actually wants Kouta to revive. I dunno, maybe a revived human with a ghost driver would be capable of taking on the ganma royalty somehow?

I'm on board with this theory. All of the Riders currently are people who don't actually have physical bodies, on account of being dead or Ganma or whatever. There's probably gonna be some spiel about how no Utopia can compare to the potential of a living person whose Life Is Burning Bright or whatever.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Though, the problem with that idea is that Kanon is a resurrected human and she can no longer see ghosts. They made this very clear. In other words, she is now a normal human. I dunno, maybe Kouta would be different somehow but I'm not sure why a ghost going through the same process would have different results. This isn't one of those kr shows where transforming has a corrupting effect.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Ghost is real good yo.

I loved this week's monster being Joan of Arc

and I like that Zyuogher's Monster of the Week Theme is apparently a combination of 'Ancient Culture + Weapon', since this week's was Viking With Net.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Serious Frolicking posted:

Though, the problem with that idea is that Kanon is a resurrected human and she can no longer see ghosts. They made this very clear. In other words, she is now a normal human. I dunno, maybe Kouta would be different somehow but I'm not sure why a ghost going through the same process would have different results. This isn't one of those kr shows where transforming has a corrupting effect.

A person holding an Eyecon can see ghosts, I think. I think that Rider Eyecons might be different from regular ones, too, because clearly Takeru and Makoto can both create something that other people can mistake for a physical body. Other Eyecons, even the heroic ones, need to possess somebody to be anything besides an invisible Ganma Kaijin or a hoodie.

edit: And, I guess, whatever the "commander" Ganma are, like Igor. They seem to also be able to make their own bodies.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 9, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh god, the gorilla man at the end of Zyu 4 was wearing a rasta cap. :cripes:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
well i guess he won't be in the american adaptation (power rangers furry force)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lol if you think Saban's not going to abandon the entire animal people conceit and make them all human.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Saban certainly won't be willing to pay for Horse Head masks. :v:

It's kinda sad that I can say this almost un-ironically.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 10, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Magic isn't allowed in Power Rangers. Only aliens. Kids like aliens.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

But Mystic Force happened. :colbert:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Waffleman_ posted:

Lol if you think Saban's not going to abandon the entire animal people conceit and make them all human.

I bet they'll be humans with a "nebulously tribal" aesthetic, and they'll turn into the animal masks right before the helmet forms in the morphing sequence to imply that morphing also turns them into beastmen. Red will stay human in his morph, except he'll follow Zyuoh's current story beat of "red developing eagle vision spontaneously" gradual transformation stuff, until he gets a Battlizer form that turns him into an eagle person during the upgrade. Or gets a Battlizer because he turned into an eagle person. Something along those lines.

Assuming they don't skip the season :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

LightningKimba posted:

But Mystic Force happened. :colbert:

That was Disney, who generally seemed to lean towards keeping the general theme of the Japanese series.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I doubt they're going to skip Furry Sentai, animals are way more marketable here than trains.

It would also mean adapting the next sentai as it happens.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They'll adapt it as Power Rangers Zootopia Force.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Looks like Amazon is the next Rider to get a tribute for Super Hero Year, more details in 8 days.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Don't forget that on top of animals this is also minecraft aesthetics, it's gonna sell gangbusters in the west unless something horrible happens with Minecraft in the next three years.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

John McClane posted:

Looks like Amazon is the next Rider to get a tribute for Super Hero Year, more details in 8 days.

Eh, that teaser image isn't quite distinct enough for me to be sure it's Amazon. Personally, I can't tell, although I have a friend who thinks it looks like Gills. Which seems... rather unlikely. (As much as I like Gills, there's very little chance he's being brought back for something.)

EDIT: I'm totally up for Amazon if it's him, since Amazon is my favorite Showa Rider. They probably wouldn't be using the original script though because I think he's both retired from acting and well, Amazon is a role that I find harder to imagine looking good when you're older, appearance-wise.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Raserys posted:

I doubt they're going to skip Furry Sentai, animals are way more marketable here than trains.

It would also mean adapting the next sentai as it happens.

I really hope that after Ninja Steel, Saban will ditch Nickelodeon cause their asinine scheduling is just a terrible thing for the franchise

• Locked thread