Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Thanks for the stream tips. Think I'll do a full res video to show the graphics, then get a friend to test with and get the stream going at 720p, at whichever aspect ratio works better with the game. That sounds about right I think.

SlayVus posted:

I just want my hands on that ASUS PG348Q, but it isn't available for purchase yet. 3440x1440 (or whatever the ultra wide resolution is) on an IPS at 100hz.

Yeah. I'm waiting till next generation anyway but I'm really wanting to see a Freesync screen that can do 100 Hz (and doesn't have the magical increasing price tag of the xr341ck). If the Acer panels are any indication, then that and the few hundred bucks lower price will be the screen for me.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

necrobobsledder posted:

That fuckup goes right up there with the guy several years ago that "delidded" his Intel Xtreme CPU or whatever but actually ripped the CPU clean in half along 2 layers or so.

Delidding is an inherently delicate task that is easy to gently caress up though, and there are legitimate (but niche) reasons for doing it. Sucks to see a $1000 chip destroyed, but that's the risk you run when you try to break parts of the CPU package apart.

Drilling through your GPU is just stupid though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 9, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Delidding is an inherently delicate task that is easy to gently caress up though, and there are legitimate (but niche) reasons for doing it. Sucks to see a $1000 chip destroyed, but that's the risk you run when you try to break parts of the CPU package apart.

Drilling through your GPU is just stupid though.

I'm not sure why you would delid a soldered CPU?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

To release the magic heat of course.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a link to that guy who did the CPU?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

Thanks for the stream tips. Think I'll do a full res video to show the graphics, then get a friend to test with and get the stream going at 720p, at whichever aspect ratio works better with the game. That sounds about right I think.

Yeah. I'm waiting till next generation anyway but I'm really wanting to see a Freesync screen that can do 100 Hz (and doesn't have the magical increasing price tag of the xr341ck). If the Acer panels are any indication, then that and the few hundred bucks lower price will be the screen for me.

OBS is the way to go although you'd only be able to stream one screen. For software decoding I would also recommend 720p as a reasonable goal, and frankly it looks quite good anyway. I don't have much experience with Youtube although with OBS it's pretty irrelevant where the stream goes to if I recall. Also while 60 hz is nice, for a stream its kind of unnecessary, and you can save considerable overhead by sticking with 30 if the performance hit is too annoying. Lots of people stream with a 290 at 720p happiliy so I think it'll be fine.

20 mbps is good too, as that will be several times more than you need for 720p which is where you want to be with bandwidth. At 1080p at 60 hz I "only" use 11 mbps, and while I have 25 mbps I can still feel the impact sometimes. Although I suspect that's just an inevitable latency issue

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
My 560 Ti died recently. Well, it's not completely dead but it's pretty much on the way out. Lots of weird multicoloured artifacts all over the place. The tough part is that I'm between jobs right now so I'm screwed for replacing it with a decent sidegrade or upgrade for a while. I found my oooold 1Gb Zotac GT220 that I used to use as a temporary replacement but as you can imagine it's pretty much killed all possibility of reasonably playing any major game released after 2010.

I've been looking at these 750 Ti's on Amazon for £100 and I can't help but think they can't be that bad, right? I know they're not going to be ridiculous and likely won't provide much of a jump up from the 560 Ti but am I making a mistake aiming for one of those? It's solely influenced by my being broke and hunting for a job so I don't want to be hasty even though all I want to do is get back to space trucking in Elite Dangerous.

I've tried everything to fix the 560 short of baking it and I haven't tried that because I don't have any thermal paste handy.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Sundowner posted:

My 560 Ti died recently. Well, it's not completely dead but it's pretty much on the way out. Lots of weird multicoloured artifacts all over the place. The tough part is that I'm between jobs right now so I'm screwed for replacing it with a decent sidegrade or upgrade for a while. I found my oooold 1Gb Zotac GT220 that I used to use as a temporary replacement but as you can imagine it's pretty much killed all possibility of reasonably playing any major game released after 2010.

I've been looking at these 750 Ti's on Amazon for £100 and I can't help but think they can't be that bad, right? I know they're not going to be ridiculous and likely won't provide much of a jump up from the 560 Ti but am I making a mistake aiming for one of those? It's solely influenced by my being broke and hunting for a job so I don't want to be hasty even though all I want to do is get back to space trucking in Elite Dangerous.

I've tried everything to fix the 560 short of baking it and I haven't tried that because I don't have any thermal paste handy.

If you're really strapped for cash I would go used honestly, people are often unloading their 2-3 year-old tech for very low prices and you would get much more bang for your buck than buying a new low end card.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Yeah if your budget is £100 you could probably get a gtx 950 from eBay, might be worth looking at eBay prices for the 960 also.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SlayVus posted:

I just want my hands on that ASUS PG348Q, but it isn't available for purchase yet. 3440x1440 (or whatever the ultra wide resolution is) on an IPS at 100hz.

It is a good monitor, definitely. Hurts my 780 though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sundowner posted:

If you can wait a few to get some more cash, they have a GTX 950 for £130. Which performs better than a 750 Ti, about 20-40% faster.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_950_strix_review,22.html

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Also I may be wrong but isn't the 750ti not much of an improvement over 560ti? I seem to recall it coming down to which version of direct x a game ran on? I considered one myself as I'm also on a 560ti.

If it's a super overclocked out of the box 560ti maybe use afterburner to reduce it to stock speeds and see if that helps maybe? Just a thought if you were wanting to eek it out though I suppose if it's faulty might be worth getting it out the system asap?

Or get another 560ti for I think £20 on eBay?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
It probably isn't much of an improvement. It's the £100 part that draws me, not the performance part.

I've tried underclocking my 560 to no success. I've cleaned the heatsink and fans, reseated it, tried a different PCI slot, downgraded drivers, upgraded drivers, overclocked, underclocked... really everything short of trying to re-flow the solder by baking it for 10 minutes but I can't do that without thermal paste to re-apply after the fact.

I could definitely just look at finding a second hand 560 Ti. I mostly just want to be able to play the games I was playing before (i.e. pretty much only Elite Dangerous these days) but it so happens that the 750 Ti is seemingly the new cheap GPU like the 560 Ti was back when I bought it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Captain Hair posted:

Also I may be wrong but isn't the 750ti not much of an improvement over 560ti? I seem to recall it coming down to which version of direct x a game ran on? I considered one myself as I'm also on a 560ti.

If it's a super overclocked out of the box 560ti maybe use afterburner to reduce it to stock speeds and see if that helps maybe? Just a thought if you were wanting to eek it out though I suppose if it's faulty might be worth getting it out the system asap?

Or get another 560ti for I think £20 on eBay?

I briefly used a 750ti as a stop gap upgrade from a 460. It was a minor upgrade. I would think that a 560ti would probably be pretty close to equal if not better at some things.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Sundowner posted:

I will give you my gtx 670, if you are OK with my waiting a bit for my 970 to get stress tested? I would assume id be sending it to the UK?

Edit: obviously I'll have to check how much shipping would be. I've sent GPUs to the UK before, but I don't think it was too much

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Captain Yossarian posted:

I will give you my gtx 670, if you are OK with my waiting a bit for my 970 to get stress tested? I would assume id be sending it to the UK?

Edit: obviously I'll have to check how much shipping would be. I've sent GPUs to the UK before, but I don't think it was too much

That's a very generous offer. I'm really bad at accepting acts of kindness like this because I'd feel so guilty hah, it's really your call. I'm in a bind so it's definitely something I'd consider. And yeah, I'm in the UK.

edit: Going to bed now so I might not be able to reply for a bit, if you want to chat my steam page is here.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 9, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

My 970 was roughly $40 shipped to the UK.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

xthetenth posted:

My 970 was roughly $40 shipped to the UK.

That sounds about right. I will check into it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Alternatively, when I was in the same boat I found a GTX770 in the US for about $100 that would be a significant step up from your old 560ti and would bridge you pretty well until you wanted to get something better. I run 1440p with it now and I'm pretty happy.

Dunno where in the UK you are, but a quick look found this on London CL
http://london.craigslist.co.uk/sop/5451027977.html

So I think you could find something equivalent pretty easy.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

necrobobsledder posted:

That fuckup goes right up there with the guy several years ago that "delidded" his Intel Xtreme CPU or whatever but actually ripped the CPU clean in half along 2 layers or so.

Delidding is inherently risky. This was just stupid. See "trimmed off part of a 7800GT to make it fit".

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Some people think that heatspreaders, any heatspreader, doesn't matter how well it's soldered on, are antithetical to maximum cooling performance, and are bare die or nothing, like back during the P3/K7 days.

I happen to believe that chipped or crushed dies are antithetical to my wallet being fat, but there are definitely ways to do it safely. One assumes that they used the vise method for more modern pasted CPUs and not the razor blades and boiling water method.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 9, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I think the real reason for delidding a Haswell-E is "It works and does good things on Haswell, and Haswell-E is Haswell so it should work the same, right?"

No, no it does not.

Also looks like OBS is working great for streaming. Thanks for the advice! Any good way to peel out sound so I only get the game audio?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

It is a good monitor, definitely. Hurts my 780 though.

How do you have it already? The only place I have heard of carrying it right now are importers in Saudi Arabia for like $1,800 US. Reviews for it didn't even go up until like two weeks ago.

xthetenth posted:

I think the real reason for delidding a Haswell-E is "It works and does good things on Haswell, and Haswell-E is Haswell so it should work the same, right?"

No, no it does not.

Also looks like OBS is working great for streaming. Thanks for the advice! Any good way to peel out sound so I only get the game audio?

On Haswell delidding, the only reason to do it is to replace the TIM between the die and the IHS. A nonmetallic TIM showed a 2°C drop compared to stock.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 10, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

No, no it does not.

Gonna have to use something like Virtual Audio Cable for that
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/exclude-audio-sources-off-your-stream-or-recording.8/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/2hkk0o/simple_tutorial_stream_only_ingame_sound/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SlayVus posted:

How do you have it already? The only place I have heard of carrying it right now are importers in Saudi Arabia for like $1,800 US. Reviews for it didn't even go up until like two weeks ago.

On Haswell delidding, the only reason to do it is to replace the TIM between the die and the IHS. A nonmetallic TIM showed a 2°C drop compared to stock.

90% certain that the test that I saw showed that repasting TIM Intel chips had less to do with the TIM and more to do with a failure to account for glue thickness when sealing the heatspreader to the chip.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34053183

Now, why Intel doesn't just use a different measurement on the heatspreader that accounts for glue thickness and improve the gap between the die and the heatspreader...

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 10, 2016

Dr. McReallysweet
Sep 12, 2006

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.
I have a dead 290x that was aio watercooled and it died. MSI says that they wont even take a look at it because i dont have the original cooler for it. Does anybody have any crazy diy methods (for fixing it) like cooking it in the oven like old motherboards?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SlayVus posted:

It was more like 10-15 degrees. I got almost 20 degree drop with a metallic.

I'm pretty sure it's still close to 10 degrees even today it's just not a game changer anymore

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
An interesting article on sub-10nm lithography (paging Durinia, Durinia to the GPU thread please)

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Verizian posted:

All the guides I've read suggest 720p60Hz is the sweet spot for streaming otherwise you're going to have the vast majority of people choosing the highest quality option and whining because their 1.5mbit copper dsl line chokes at 4k. More of a problem on Twitch due to the report button causing headaches for the few streams I watch regular when they enable 1080p/60.
Yeah, 720p60 is generally considered the sweet spot. Partially its that some viewers won't have enough bandwidth if you go too high. The standard advice is not to go beyond 3-3.5mbps since many many people won't be able to watch beyond that. Making 1080p actually look any better than 720p requires going to a higher bitrate. If you set 1080p resolution but the encoder doesn't have enough bandwidth to work with the higher resolution will not actually look better. Anyway even for 720p depending on who is watching your stream you may need to go lower than 3mbps. Keep in mind that at least on twitch.tv your stream won't be transcoded unless you get invited to the twitch partner program, ie get invited to share in ad revenue because you have tons of viewers. As far as I know there aren't any good alternatives to twitch. No transcoding means viewers have to watch the stream at whatever quality settings you've chosen to broadcast at, they won't be able to choose high/medium/low quality. Personally I stream on twitch 720p48frames at 2200kbps (my internet connection only has about 2.5mbps upload) and generally my rather small handful of viewers see great quality.

However, bandwidth aside, 1080p60 is also a bad idea partially because twitch.tv still uses adobe flash for video playback on all desktop browsers. They only have html5 video for their mobile app at this point in time. Adobe flash really sucks at rendering 1080p60 video just cause well adobe flash sucks in general.

If you are recording stuff to put up on youtube later rather than streaming live, none of this is relevant since youtube uses html5 and will transcode whatever you upload to them. So if it's for upload to youtube without live broadcast first, you'd just wanna record at the highest quality your hardware can handle.

edit: oh yeah and OBS is definitely definitely the software to use, to me it seems better than any of the paid options and it's free

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

td4guy posted:

So apparently you're not supposed to drill holes through your 980Ti.

You know how the old saying goes: if you've got a drill press, every problem looks like it needs a hole.

Pretty sure that's the exact saying.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
HIS releasing an R7 360 with 50W TDP

I was fairly certain Bonaire had a TDP of 95-100W, and even the best binned mobile chips had 75W TDP, this is pretty impressive. It's also likely our R7 M460 as I speculated earlier.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The "sweet spot" is not 720p60, it's 720p30 for safety. Refer to this Reddit thread where they actually put samples up and took a small survey to see which one people preferred looking at. Then consult the official Twitch recommendations for OBS. Twitch has the numbers on what kind of users with what kind of bandwidth connecting use across their viewer base and has people working for them who understand the guts of how encoders work - go with what they recommend. They, the people who made x264, and the people who made OBS, are smarter than you are and the forum guides from TwitchBob2300, and made the defaults the defaults for very good reasons. :)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 10, 2016

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Definitely good reading, definitely worth reading for whoever wants to start streaming. The conclusions of the authour of that thread do not align with LiquidRain's advice so I suggest reading all the information in the thread and making your own decision.

As discussed in the linked thread, whether 30 or 60 looks better depends on the content being streamed. Also keep in mind many people are so used to seeing 30fps streams and especially 29.97Hz video that they will react negatively to higher framerates because it looks "weird" to them just because it is unfamiliar, while other people find it looks way better. When considering that information and much more importantly the fact that less than 15 people replied to the dude's surveys, his survey results should be considered only an anecdote. Follow his advice and use his information as a starting point for your own testing.

edit: another very important point made in that thread is that he tested at 2200kbps and that as bitrate gets higher the disadvantage of increasing framerates (each frame must be compressed smaller leading to a lower image quality per frame) diminshes, i.e. the image quality per frame improves. With high enough bitrate the loss in image quality when increasing framerate at a given bitrate becomes too subtle to detect. Whereas of course the other side of that double edged sword is what I noted earlier in this thread, as your bitrate gets higher it might get too high for some viewers internet connections. Conversely if you were forced to a lower bitrate because of your own connection you obviously have the opposite in both effects.

edit2: clarity

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 10, 2016

breaks
May 12, 2001

Col.Kiwi posted:

Keep in mind that at least on twitch.tv your stream won't be transcoded unless you get invited to the twitch partner program, ie get invited to share in ad revenue because you have tons of viewers. As far as I know there aren't any good alternatives to twitch

That's actually not entirely true anymore. Twitch offers transcodes permanently to partners, but also offers them based on capacity to all streamers, prioritized based on the size of the audience. These days a pretty modest ~20 viewers is enough to regularly get the transcode option. (Of course 720/30 or 720/60, no more than 3.5k and probably better to be around 2.5k, is still the way to go)

Hitbox is a great Twitch alternative if you don't mind the fact that it's so much smaller. Aside from that it's better in pretty much every way. If you just want to give a link to your bros or whatever, it's a good option. Nobody is going to discover you there, but then again, nobody is going to discover you on Twitch either outside of very rare edge case scenarios.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I take it if you wanted to record at high resolution for later YouTube uploads and live stream at 720p30 over hitbox/twitch you can use dxtory>OBS for that?

Assuming upload bandwidth isn't a problem is there a non-buggy way to stream to multiple sites at once?

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Paul MaudDib posted:

An interesting article on sub-10nm lithography (paging Durinia, Durinia to the GPU thread please)

I've pretty much decided at this point that process fabrication people (and their cousins, the device physicists) are really just wizards masquerading as engineers.

An interesting article, though, to be sure. I was a little perplexed in how, on one hand they said "EUV can be done in a quarter of the steps!" and then followed up with "we have to limit where we use it to control costs". I was kind of under the impression that the whole point of step reduction was to reduce costs.

So, like I said, wizards.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hi Jinx posted:

You know how the old saying goes: if you've got a drill press, every problem looks like it needs a hole.

Pretty sure that's the exact saying.

Didn't that guy say he built his own case? I wonder how much of a train wreck that is.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SlayVus posted:

Scan.co.uk had pre-orders up mid-January and despatched first week of February.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

wipeout posted:

Didn't that guy say he built his own case? I wonder how much of a train wreck that is.

My favorite part are the people saying he could have repaired it.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I ran 3dmark firestrike again and my 290x gained a THOUSAND points in 1 1/2 years. It is probably driver updates. or maybe gpuram cooling bricks(?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Michael Jackson posted:

I ran 3dmark firestrike again and my 290x gained a THOUSAND points in 1 1/2 years. It is probably driver updates. or maybe gpuram cooling bricks(?).

It's those huge tessellation improvements that the 390s launched with in their drivers. I remember there was a big controversy about it for a few weeks before the 290 drivers got 'em too.