Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

david carmichael posted:

would chael not still have fights left on his ufc contract

I believe they cut all ties with him after that last drug test and subsequent retirement. He's eligible to return to fighting in June with a passed drug test I believe, same stipulation Wanderlei has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Don't come back, Chael. Go have kids, laugh at the stupid amount of money you conned your way into.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This Chris Harris vs. Julian Marquez fight from the Bellator prelims last week is a solid demonstration of two guys just punching each other in the face over and over, might be worth a look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA9SE97KdQg

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

coconono posted:

Don't come back, Chael. Go have kids, laugh at the stupid amount of money you conned your way into.

Chael has a hot wife and a newborn child and a decent job, he's good and if he wants to fight Conor McGregor at 185 I think he should.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
does joe warren still take dozens of clean punches to the face in every fight?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Foul Fowl posted:

does joe warren still take dozens of clean punches to the face in every fight?

Yes. The exception is when he gets knee barred, screeches like a pterodactyl, and then complains that he shouldn't have lost the fight just because he was wailing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Yes. The exception is when he gets knee barred, screeches like a pterodactyl, and then complains that he shouldn't have lost the fight just because he was wailing.

If we're loose with our grammar and usage, he probably has the most accurate nickname of any fighter.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CommonShore posted:

If we're loose with our grammar and usage, he probably has the most accurate nickname of any fighter.

He is a tiny Chael Sonnen without the self awareness. (Personality not fighting style)

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Joe Warren just got loving wrecked

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Lol at Joe Warren not fighting a RNC at all then not tapping.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
The slam that preceded the finish was really beautiful, too. I hope somebody gif'd it (or webm'd it, or whatever format the kids are using these days).

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Kevin Randleman Tribute Night

https://twitter.com/GrabakaHitman/status/705968008905232388

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Also

https://twitter.com/GrabakaHitman/status/705964526051663872

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Meanwhile, on Titan FC, Tim Elliott continues to be a fuckin glorious weirdo

https://twitter.com/LegKickTKO/status/705975531368484865

https://twitter.com/LegKickTKO/status/705977504683716608

https://twitter.com/LegKickTKO/status/705978640832536576

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Tim's the worst UFC cut I can think of. His fight with Papazian is one of my all time fvaourites

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chael coming out of retirement for Wanderlei is probably the lowest possible risk fight Chael could take. Unless Chael somehow forgot his entire arsenal of wrestling ability, there's no way in hell he can't take Wanderlei down and hold him down for 5 or pound him out before.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://www.rizinff.com/card_rizin-1

just fuckin kidding it's a tag team grappling match, wanderlei's partner tba

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Wait, is that really a thing? I assumed it was a joke that only the lowest of comedy promotions did.

RIZIN is, of course, a high-quality comedy promotion.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There was that Russian thing that ran 5v5 matches, and of course San Do Triple Fighting. There should be more multiman MMA.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How long until someone comes up with some convoluted MMA Human Chess thing in which Pawns are only allowed to move forward, slip and 1-2, Rooks only allowed to use running power doubles, Knights to throw kicks, Bishops to throw elbows and running knees, and the Queen to do anything, while the King is a 40 year old broken-down fighter with no knees and a glass jaw?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It still looks like UR Fight is going to happen

But I'm afraid that Ken Shamrock has pulled out against Dan Severn.

And is being replaced by Tank Abbott.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

It still looks like UR Fight is going to happen

But I'm afraid that Ken Shamrock has pulled out against Dan Severn.

And is being replaced by Tank Abbott.

I hope Severn uses "Fat Bottomed Girls" as his walkout music.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Wise Learned Man posted:

The slam that preceded the finish was really beautiful, too. I hope somebody gif'd it (or webm'd it, or whatever format the kids are using these days).

http://gfycat.com/InfatuatedUnsungDwarfmongoose

Joe Warren's strategy for defending submissions is still apparently to just pretend they don't exist.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
when someone tries to submit joe warren an angel that looks like joe warren appears on his shoulder and starts yelling about how great joe warren is, then a devil that looks like joe warren appears on the other and starts yelling about how great joe warren is. then he falls unconscious

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

colonel_korn posted:

http://gfycat.com/InfatuatedUnsungDwarfmongoose

Joe Warren's strategy for defending submissions is still apparently to just pretend they don't exist.

tbf if I just ate a huge suplex, thinking things out would be after making sure I can feel all my limbs and move them.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Jesus christ don't give me a loving heart attack like that

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

when someone tries to submit joe warren an angel that looks like joe warren appears on his shoulder and starts yelling about how great joe warren is, then a devil that looks like joe warren appears on the other and starts yelling about how great joe warren is. then he falls unconscious

lmao

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wanderlei's mouth on his carboard standee looks like when they put a real moving mouth on a photo on TV shows

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

UR Fight has a price: $11.99 on iPPV

gently caress it, I'm in. Who's with me

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah I'll probably pay that just to see whether the event is an elaborate trick

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Enjoy your $12 kitten cam stream.

I know me and my friends will

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/3/8/11178304/wanderlei-silva-to-compete-under-mma-rules-for-rizin-ff-while-serving

Wanderlei is going to fight this year despite his ban for Rizin, supposedly.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sadly the Arizona commission would not allow Roy Jones to fight a fan so he's boxing a Canadian Z-league MMA guy or something.

Oh and JIM ROSS is doing commentary.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Chris Leben wants you to buy his book or something to stop his heart disease or some bullshit. I don't know

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 10, 2016

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Chris Leben is no longer coming out of retirement to fight for Bellator after doctors found a severe medical condition that left him with just 18 percent of normal blood flow to his heart.

MMAjunkie was today forwarded a statement from Leben’s management team. Swedish news site MMANytt first reported the news.

In a separate statement, Bellator President Scott Coker said, “We are saddened to hear of Chris Leben’s current health situation and would have loved to see him compete inside the Bellator cage.

“A fighter’s health and safety is of the utmost importance to us as an organization. We wish Chris the best in his future endeavors and we are happy to provide a platform for him to share his story with people around the world.”

Leben signed with Bellator this past month and was undergoing a physical in order to be cleared for a spring return when he failed several electrocardiogram (EKG) tests, according to the statement. Doctors discovered a “life-threatening abnormality” to the left ventricle of his heart, which was “oversized,” “misshapen,” and “not operating properly.”

“Doctors estimate that the blood flow through is heart is only 18 percent of what is considered normal,” the statement read.

A combination of life-saving drugs was immediately prescribed to Leben in hopes of preventing “a catastrophic cardiac event.”

“As of now, the prognosis is mixed: one doctor believes that he should be considered for a heart transplant, while another doctor hopes that medication and a healthy lifestyle will reverse some of the damage over time,” the statement read.

The statement said Leben’s condition is thought to be the result of his years of struggle with drug addiction, including “extreme opiate addiction” and alcoholism as well as “medical and psychological issues throughout his life.”

An 11-year MMA veteran, Leben (22-11 MMA, 0-0 BMMA), a native of Portland, Ore., retired in 2013 after an up-and-down career in the UFC that was filled with plenty of twists and turns outside the octagon.

Leben was twice flagged and suspended for performance enhancer use and twice arrested on suspicion of DUI. This past summer, he was sentenced to 120 days in jail and three years’ probation for a domestic incident involving his then-estranged wife.

After his release from jail, Leben turned to writing and signed a book deal to pen his autobiography. “The Crippler: Cage Fighting and My Life on the Edge” details Leben’s tumultuous life and personal battles during his time in the cage. Several chapters were previewed by MMAjunkie.

A part-time MMA coach at San Diego’s Arena MMA, Leben’s new health issues have now left him in a “dire” financial situation, which he hopes to offset by getting a real estate license in San Diego, the statement read. Anyone wishing to support Leben is asked to purchase a signed copy of his autobiography at his online store.

“Leben also hopes to leverage his many life lessons for the benefit of others,” the statement read. “He plans to devote time to communicating with young people and the MMA community about the dangers of drug use and about how to cope with addiction.

“Leben says that he is grateful to the fans, friends and family that have been there for him throughout his life and career. He will continue to fight the good fight, and has confidence that strict dedication to nutrition and wellness will allow him to succeed in this battle.”

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Dunc, your the closest thing to a doctor we have around here. How hosed is Leben?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
You think they did this check on Leben recently because of the Dada stuff or is that just normal protocol?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

You think they did this check on Leben recently because of the Dada stuff or is that just normal protocol?

iirc he's 35 now, and 35-and-up have to go through extra physicals to get licensed in a lot of places, including NJ and Nevada.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

fatherdog posted:

iirc he's 35 now, and 35-and-up have to go through extra physicals to get licensed in a lot of places, including NJ and Nevada.

thank loving god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Captain Log posted:

Dunc, your the closest thing to a doctor we have around here. How hosed is Leben?

i only did a little bit of cardiology for a couple of years, enough to learn that the guy doing my last ecg didn't know what he was doing, how it worked, or how to read it. lvh can regress with long term blood pressure medications, but the people they study are usually old people with blood pressure problems, i don't know if the same treatment or mechanisms are even applicable if it's caused by steroids