Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

That sounds really really good - imo the best feature announced so far - as long as the match booking UI is improved to handle it.

It would be interesting if that fed into the overall product direction. A late 80s WWF trying to put on too many technical masterclasses would bore the poo poo out of their crowd, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
The one off contracts would be great because I like running 80s games, so I can bring in the occasional local guys to get squashed instead of hiring guys for three month PPA contracts, and knock the pushes out of whack.

I also hope that one of the aims is "Squash", on top of that. If the loser has high selling ratings then the rating could get a nice bump.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah I'm really into the idea of one off contracts.

2013 is set up for squash matches already. Just set your match to have one person be Kept Strong and Dominate. If you look in the dirt sheet, it will say "bonus for successful squash" if it worked.

You can also bury the other guy, if you want to make him look bad.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I tend to use dominate for guys with high menace, and just use keep strong for everyone else.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
TEW sounds good, but is this for PC only? Or is a mobile app in the works?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

CopywrightMMXI posted:

TEW sounds good, but is this for PC only? Or is a mobile app in the works?

PC only. The interface is way too unwieldy for mobile, and I don't trust Ryland to understand how to simplify it for a touch screen.

I would love a game like EWR for mobile, but alas. There was that wrestling card game but it got old after about an hour.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

triplexpac posted:

PC only. The interface is way too unwieldy for mobile, and I don't trust Ryland to understand how to simplify it for a touch screen.

I would love a game like EWR for mobile, but alas. There was that wrestling card game but it got old after about an hour.

It'd be perfectly serviceable on a tablet, the whole thing is controlled with a mouse.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

It'd be perfectly serviceable on a tablet, the whole thing is controlled with a mouse.
yeah that'd work, except no-one own a windows tablet

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Lady Naga posted:

Yeah, I suppose so. I just don't especially love the interface on PC either, there's too much clicking. I'd love for someone who actually understands UX to redesign it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

St Evan Echoes posted:

yeah that'd work, except no-one own a windows tablet

I'm sayin' you could make little to no modifications to the interface and it'd work fine as an iPad game.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lady Naga posted:

I'm sayin' you could make little to no modifications to the interface and it'd work fine as an iPad game.
Conceptually yeah, in practice no way

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Goddamn I'd love to try this out but I'm OS X only right now :(

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Thauros posted:

Goddamn I'd love to try this out but I'm OS X only right now :(

I use Bootcamp, it works pretty well except for when it fucks up your partition and then you have to format your computer to fix it.

But that only happened to me once in the 8 or so years I've been using Bootcamp.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/3/7/11173762/ea-ufc-2-fighter-ratings-released-tyron-woodley-cm-punk-same-ground-rating-mma-news

quote:

Stand-up: 80
Clinch: 78
Ground: 82
Overall: 82
Fighting Style: Freestyle Wrestler
CM Punks ratings

quote:

Welterweights with equal or lower ground rating than CM Punk

Tyron Woodley (82)
Jake Ellenberger (82)
Hyun Gyu Lim (82)
Mike Pyle (82)
Jordan Mein (82)
Tarec Saffedine (81)
Augusto Montano (81)
Omari Akhmedov (80)
Martin Kampmann (80)
Pascal Krauss (80)
Tim Means (78)

Welterweights with equal or lower clinch rating than CM Punk

Thiago Alves (76)

Welterweights with equal or lower stand-up rating than CM Punk

None

Man, I'd feel so insulted. Especially if I were Woodley, an actually accomplished ammy wrestler.

Full roster with rankings.
https://www.easports.com/ufc/fighter-roster

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

quote:

Mar 07: Mix Of Match Aims

Based on their products, companies have minimum requirements for including different match aims to keep the crowd entertained. For example, a light-hearted Chikara-style company would naturally expect at least one Comedy match aim per show.

This introduces two new elements into play.

The first is that it adds a further element of strategy to booking. If you know that you're going to need a Comedy match and a Technical Masterclass on each show then you will need to think carefully about how you're deploying your roster as not everyone can thrive in those sort of bouts. This also has the knock-on effect of making sure that cards actually have content that's in-line with their product. For example, real life WWE cards are generally geared towards having a mix of content, with some action-packed matches, some 'comedy' (NB: I'm using some terminology extremely loosely at this point), some divas, some storyline-driven matches, etc, etc. If their product is set up to reflect this, the booker will need to keep that in mind.

The second element is roster diversity. In previous games, going all the way back to the EWR days, there's not a huge incentive to go for anyone other than the good workers - leading to the old meme where 95% of players using WWE\F used to hire AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels on day one because talent always won out. This doesn't really reflect reality where a diverse roster is almost always a good thing. Again taking WWE as an example, there's always a place for comedy acts, for the odd 'freak show' worker, midgets, etc, etc. By introducing match aims, you now have an actual reason to bring in people who aren't necessarily the best workers in the world, so that you can fill that Comedy match aim slot, so that you can throw in some 'Eye Candy', etc.

NB: The Analysis button shows your current match aim requirements, so you don't have to remember them or constantly go back to the product screen to check.

Mar 07: Perfect Show Theory Overhaul

As Perfect Show Theory appeared to confuse a lot of players in previous games it has now been overhauled to be less rigid by tapping into the new match aim system.

PST (which can still be turned off if you wish) now works like a pressure gauge; if the fans are kept 'up' for too long then they'll burn out and be hard to recover. Careful use of calming match aims (such as Calm The Crowd), or mixing up different match aims to keep the fans on their toes, is therefore needed to avoid this (or to 'relieve the pressure' if you want to continue the analogy). As a lot of the match aims are explicit about bringing the crowd up or down (or at specifically about manipulating the crowd level in other ways) this takes a lot of the guesswork out of the feature and instead makes it more about booking order and forward planning, as you'd do in reality.

To reflect the above changes, Perfect Show Theory has been renamed as Crowd Management in TEW2016.

quote:

Mar 08: Sausage Fest Penalty

My favourite named feature ever, the sausage fest penalty means that mainstream \ entertainment based companies (other than those that are dedicated to female wrestling) are now required to hit a certain ratio of attractive women to male competitors per show or they will get a penalty for not appealing to their core male audience.

This is a companion piece to yesterday's feature in that it's aim is to make players follow reality a little more closely. In previous games there was virtually no point in having attractive women on the roster (other than if you were gaming the system by spamming T-shirt shooting angles to get high ratings), which is of course not how reality works - WWE\F, WCW, ECW, NWA...pretty much everyone has had a number of attractive women on their roster, even if they had little use other than standing around looking pretty, for the simple reason that sex sells. By having this potential penalty in place, the player will now have to follow suit and maintain some on the roster.

To clarify, these are not female wrestlers, nor do they actually have to be actively in angles; just have someone work as a manager counts, even if all they are doing is accompanying someone to the ring for a match or angle, even if that's only a few minutes of time.

Mar 08: EWR Throwback Options (x7)

With this being the 20th anniversary of the EW series, one of the big things we're looking at is trying to encourage those people who haven't yet made the switch from the freeware games to do so. As the most common reason given is that the game is too complex \ detailed \ time consuming, we've added a raft of seven new user preferences to specifically target this. Collectively they've become known as the EWR Throwback options as they allow the game to be switched to become a very open, less restrictive, less realistic experience a la EWR - whether that name will remain post-testing I don't know, but for now it serves its purpose.

These are primarily to encourage new players, but I'm sure even some of the veterans of TEW will be able to get some use out of them now and then.

The seven are all on\off toggles, and are as follows:

Booking times: If turned off, the length of the show is ignored entirely, allowing the player to book as little or as much as he wants. i.e. if it's a two hour show, you could book 5 minutes or 5 hours and the game isn't going to penalise or block you.

Match ratios: If turned off, the player does not need to worry about the match \ angle ratio of shows. The player could not have any angles at all, even for an entertainment-based company, if desired.

Left off show complaints: If turned off, workers never complain about being left off shows. This removes the need to plan ahead and make sure that everybody has something to do.

Match aims: If turned off, the player does not need to meet the minimum number of match aims per show that are required by the product. (Match aims can still be used, it's just the requirement that is turned off.)

Momentum: If turned off, worker momentum effects are disabled. This means there are no effects on match ratings and no complaints about it. They are still stored and visible however, so if you wish to turn the feature back on you do not need to start from scratch.

Sex appeal: If turned off, the sausage fest penalty that was described above is disabled entirely.

Worker overuse: If turned off, there are no penalties for using a worker too much during a show. You can throw a jobber out there for an iron man match and won't get a penalty for it (although you would still of course have to deal with the poor match rating that would likely result; it's just the post-show penalty of 'You used X far too much on this show' that is turned off).

As with all the user preferences, these can be turned on and off via the options menu and only apply to the specific player - so it's perfectly OK for one player to have them all turned off, another player to have them all off, and another player to pick and choose a selection to turn off.

When combined with the other user preferences that already exist, this allows a huge scope for removing a lot of the complexity and realism from the game and turning it from a sim-game to a fantasy-game instead.

The fact that he programmed in a sausage fest penalty is highly amusing to me.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

That all sounds great.

I hope the Sausage Fest thing in kind of mutable though. WWF in the 80s didn't have a ton of sexy valets and lady characters. Elizabeth, Sherry, the occasional ladies match with Moolah or what have you. The audience had to be trained to expect Sexy Women with things like the Raw Girls before they later demanded them.

Speaking of which, is there any kind of system in the game for training your audience? Including elements they may not like at first but getting them to demand them over time via success/exposure? Because there ought to be. I know there's manual methods to change who your audience is and what they want, but one would hope it could be accomplished just through how the show is.

EDIT: This kind of system could also effect things like belt prestige. Title not in your main event for 4 PPVs in a row? The audience may start thinking it doesn't matter. Belt Prestige sort of works this way now, but it takes an absurd amount of time to shift. In reality even a few months of bad booking can ruin a title's credibility.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

It seems like Punk has the lowest overall rating of any welterweight by a fair margin, which I mean, that's definitely accurate but it also seems ballsy for them to admit that this big crossover draw that they've put in their video game is an obvious fraud.

Does any fighter at any weight have a lower overall than Punk?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
All this TEW stuff sounds great, I just really hope they surface the information in the UI in a useful way. I love the idea of getting bonuses for having a varied roster, that's how I've always tried to play my TEW games up until now anyway. It sucked having women on your card and it feeling like it's impossible to get them over.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

triplexpac posted:

All this TEW stuff sounds great, I just really hope they surface the information in the UI in a useful way. I love the idea of getting bonuses for having a varied roster, that's how I've always tried to play my TEW games up until now anyway. It sucked having women on your card and it feeling like it's impossible to get them over.

This is a big issue, if they're going to encourage managers they really need to make it so they actually gain overness without having to talk in angles. Playing a more in ring based product made managers completely worthless, as there was no way I was giving them regular promo time, they'd stick at F overness forever, even if managing main events and interfering in their matches.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jenny Angel posted:

It seems like Punk has the lowest overall rating of any welterweight by a fair margin, which I mean, that's definitely accurate but it also seems ballsy for them to admit that this big crossover draw that they've put in their video game is an obvious fraud.

Does any fighter at any weight have a lower overall than Punk?

I mean; he's basically Dan. Everyone loves Dan but that doesn't stop them from realizing he's a joke character.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

In the interests of fairness and realism, Punk should have the stats of a starting Career Mode CAF, minus five for injuries.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It sounds like I might wind up giving TEW 2016 a shot, though there is the chance that I'll veer back into '13 (As I personally like the 'talent wins out' dynamic, even though I guess it might be nice to play a game where psychology isn't everything and I might have a use for the Barry Buchanens and Travis Tomkos of the world).

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
ultimate team looks real fun

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Scopely and WWE® Announce Strategic Partnership

Reveal WWE Champions Coming to iOS and Android Devices in 2016

WWE Champions Expands Scopely’s Roster of Games Based on AAA IP

Los Angeles – March 8, 2016 – Scopely, the leading touchscreen entertainment network, has entered into a new partnership with global entertainment company WWE to publish a free to play mobile game, WWE Champions, currently in limited market tests for a 2016 global release. The partnership extends the power of WWE’s global brand, and adds to the diverse and successful catalog of Scopely games based on celebrated brands and entertainment franchises. WWE Champions will be the first release from Scopely’s multi-title partnership with award-winning developer Kung Fu Factory.

“Scopely is powering the next generation of interactive entertainment through our robust publishing infrastructure and product expertise,” said Walter Driver, CEO of Scopely. “With WWE, we are creating and evolving the mobile WWE experience with daily gameplay events that continue to bring WWE’s brand, talent, and legendary moments to life.”

WWE Champions allows players to collect more than 100 different Superstars and Legends where they can enter the ring for intense 3D action powered by fast and engaging puzzle play. The game is currently in test markets, and will launch worldwide on Android and iOS devices later this year.

“Scopely’s expertise in creating authentic branded mobile game experiences made them an ideal partner,” said Casey Collins, WWE Executive Vice President, Consumer Products. “Together with Scopely, we’ve planned an expansive slate of mobile gaming content to keep WWE’s passionate fan base engaged.”

WWE Champions is the latest entry in Scopely’s growing catalog of successful games based on beloved entertainment brands and is an exciting new addition to WWE’s portfolio of chart-topping mobile game releases, which includes WWE SuperCard and WWE Immortals. Scopely’s The Walking Dead: Road to Survival and YAHTZEE With Buddies, released in 2015, continue to rank in the Top 40 of the Top Grossing Games charts on both iOS and Android.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Oh my god it's WWE Puzzle and Dragons.

I am so confused right now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lmbo

http://scopely.com/games/

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

They make YAHTZEE with Buddies and Dice with Buddies. Dice with buddies is described on their website as "Super-addictive dice gameplay, similar to Hasbro Inc.’s YAHTZEE" . I look forward to Wrestling with BUDDIES.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Please god make a wrestling buddies game happen in my lifetime

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

The American Dream posted:

Please god make a wrestling buddies game happen in my lifetime

Wrestling with Buddies sounds like one of those cheap wrestle porn sites.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

quote:

Time for a themed day, I think...

Mar 09: Botches

Previously the Safety skill didn't really do much in the game; to rectify this, the game now introduces botched moves. Workers with low Safety ratings will run the risk of botching moves and potentially injuring their opponents. (NB: This is separate from regular injuries, which are still linked to the Resilience skill.) Very occasionally even skilled opponents may get a freak accident and botch a move.

As well as potential injuries, botches (and even near botches) can lead to negative relationships between the workers involved and potential morale issues. On top of this, even people not involved in the match can react; for example, veterans may get irate about a clumsy rookie being 'reckless'.

This also makes dealing with rookies and clumsy workers more of a challenge in the long run.

If a botch does happen you will read about it on-screen, as well as getting an e-mail if there is any fall-out from it.

Mar 09: Refusal To Work With Botchers

Mirroring the real life Austin - Owen Hart situation, workers who get injured thanks to a botched move can refuse to work with that person again. This is dependent on their personality and the severity of the injury.

Mar 09: Injury History

Accessing a worker's profile and viewing the Physical screen will now list all the injuries that worker has suffered during the course of their career, together with the date of when it happened. This includes any pre-existing injuries that were added via the editor before the game began.

This allows you to get a better idea of exactly how injury prone a worker is, and where the damage may have been done in terms of body parts.

Mar 09: Botch History

As an addition to the previous entry, the injury history will also record and list if the injury occured due to a botched move. If so, the botcher's name will be displayed too, so that you know who was at fault.

Mar 09: Injury Notes

In previous games you would only find out about injuries via an e-mail after the show. This has now been altered so that you'll be able to see on-screen when an injury happens. It's a minor touch, but it helps the immersion.

Botchamania is running wild

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Jenny Angel posted:

this big crossover draw that they've put in their video game is an obvious fraud.

UGH. I really don't want to get into this argument again, because it's been done to death. But I want to address this.

Yes, we get it, you think Punk being a professional wrestler before being an MMA fighter means he's going to get creamed. Okay. That's fine. I'm not going to disagree with you because that's pointless. And maybe his stats don't reflect his actual in ring experience because he doesn't have any, and putting him in the game now is a huge mistake given he could get rocked in his first match and never fight again, maybe he won't, maybe he'll be a future title holder. None of us know, all we can do is speculate. That I don't care about.

But OBVIOUS FRAUD? That's a little strong. What fraud is there? No matter win or lose he's going to get the poo poo kicked out of him just like every loving UFC fighter, where is the fraud? I really want to know what the "obvious fraud" part of your statement means. Do you think he has a secret conspiracy with Dana White to have UFC fighters lay down for him to make him look like a better fighter than he is or something? What obvious fraud? The gently caress are you talking about?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skunkrocker posted:

UGH. I really don't want to get into this argument again, because it's been done to death. But I want to address this.

Yes, we get it, you think Punk being a professional wrestler before being an MMA fighter means he's going to get creamed. Okay. That's fine. I'm not going to disagree with you because that's pointless. And maybe his stats don't reflect his actual in ring experience because he doesn't have any, and putting him in the game now is a huge mistake given he could get rocked in his first match and never fight again, maybe he won't, maybe he'll be a future title holder. None of us know, all we can do is speculate. That I don't care about.

But OBVIOUS FRAUD? That's a little strong. What fraud is there? No matter win or lose he's going to get the poo poo kicked out of him just like every loving UFC fighter, where is the fraud? I really want to know what the "obvious fraud" part of your statement means. Do you think he has a secret conspiracy with Dana White to have UFC fighters lay down for him to make him look like a better fighter than he is or something? What obvious fraud? The gently caress are you talking about?

A lot is being made of 37-year-old Punk (getting into ancient territory for MMA fighters) having surprise back surgery and putting off his fight with a nobody, here.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Skunkrocker posted:

Jeez, uh

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

Skunkrocker posted:

source your quotes

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Well? Where is the fraud here? I'm honestly confused.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I don't think he's a "fraud" per se, I just don't think that in one hundred years Phil Brooks the 37 year old rando is ever getting a shot, compared to CM Punk the television star, if that makes sense. He's not getting in on the merits. It's like how James Toney or Herschel Walker got contracts. And that's fine! you need publicity stunts.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I don't think he's a "fraud" per se, I just don't think that in one hundred years Phil Brooks the 37 year old rando is ever getting a shot, compared to CM Punk the television star, if that makes sense. He's not getting in on the merits. It's like how James Toney or Herschel Walker got contracts. And that's fine! you need publicity stunts.

That I can agree with, that doesn't make him a fraud. That makes White an idiot. Batista went into MMA at 41 and he didn't go right to UFC. He went to some indie deal, did one fight, and then went back to WWE.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Cm. Punk is a weak clown bitch and a big time buttmuch lying idiot baby dingaling fucko who goes in the trash, not the ocatagon

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

Cubone posted:

Cm. Punk is a weak clown bitch and a big time buttmuch lying idiot baby dingaling fucko who goes in the trash, not the ocatagon

:agreed:

edit: and by trash i mean wwe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

quote:

Mar 10: Singles Titles In Tag Matches

New to the game is the ability to have singles titles put on the line in tag team bouts. If used, the title will change hands if the current holder is beaten (i.e. is the person taking the fall), being won by the person who beat them. The title does not change hands if someone other than the champion is beaten (unless the title was vacant). This allows some real world situations to be simulated.

Mar 10: More Titles Per Match

The number of titles allowed per match has been upped from two to three. This allows, for example, the tag team champions to defend against two singles champions.

Mar 10: Player's Handbook

I already alluded to this in a reply in the discussion thread, but work has been done to make TEW2016 as user friendly as possible in terms of explaining how things work.

The primary source of this is the Player's Handbook. This is found in the office, and replaces the Booker's Advice button. This works as an in-game help file, divided up into topics and giving detailed explanations about the mechanics. Unlike its predecessor, this is less about general tips and more about precise details. For example, in the angles section it gives specifics on how many minutes angles need to run for to allow workers to benefit from them, what skills the different Rated On categories use, and how workers' popularity is altered by them.

The idea behind this is to address as many of the questions that crop up in the Small Questions thread as possible. As everything is divided into topics, it should be easy to navigate straight to your answer if you have something specific in mind. The reason we've moved the help file in-game rather than as the more traditional external document is that not only is it easier to get to, but it means it can be updated via patches very easily; so if any new questions appear, or if there's something that people are finding unclear, a new topic or more detailed answer can be patched right in.

As well as the Handbook, there are also more "?" buttons than ever before to explain specifics, and many of the road agent notes that seemed to confuse people have had their descriptions beefed up to be explicit about what their pros and cons are and how they should be used. Again, this includes specific like exactly how many minutes you need \ can't exceed in order to get bonuses or avoid penalties.

Sounds like Ryland is legit trying to make it more user accessible.