Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MGSV is a fun game where most missions will let you deal with your problems in a number of ways. EP45, A Quiet Return, is not one of those missions. The game will lock you into an onslaught position, with no alternative of returning to the ACC and playing the mission later, with a shitload of tanks and units storming your position. Don't have the battle dress equipped? gently caress you, here some one-shotting long-range tanks, go restart the mission loser. Haven't been upgrading your rocket launchers? gently caress you, have fun requesting supply drops non-stop as your rockets do barely any damage to anything past the first wave.

It really isn't that difficult but man is it a loving slog, not helped by it being one of the missions approaching the endgame which you have to farm side objectives to even get to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Dude, my bad. The old game is named X-COM: UFO Defense (it was called UFO: Enemy Unknown in the UK, and even XCOM had executables defining it as Unknown), and I completely blanked on the '12 XCOM having a subtitle.

For edification, XCOMUTIL is a XCOM: UFO Defense program; I thought you were discussing the old X-COM game. It let you load all your soldiers into a rudimentary excel file, and you could tell it to do all the who-is-the-best stuff for you. No having to worry about your otherwise-awesome soldiers had PSI abilities of tissue paper, you find that poo poo out long before you have Psi Labs.

(Really, though, me being a 'get good' guy? gently caress that, I'm a bend-the-game-over-until-its-the-difficulty-I-want player. Always Be Reloading.)

Same. It's not like I'm reloading the game every time a shot misses in multiplayer. I mean, I could play the game and let everyone of my mistakes stand but I'm already playing a video game, and I much prefer it when I'm an unstoppable nightmare that the aliens or nazis, or cyborgs or whatever I'm fighting can't beat. It's why I happily play Fire Emblem on Casual since it's not like I wasn't resetting the game if anyone died in the first place.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Every single exotic engram I've gotten in Destiny has identified into the same pool of 4 items.

Every.
Single.
One.

I once bought 9 from the shows up every weekend guy, 5 identified into the same helmet, the other 4 into the same helmet for a different class.

I've also never seen a primary exotic one like ever, I think they don't exist and this poo poo has been going for a little over 6 months, for a loot driven game it sure is super lovely with the loot.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Every single exotic engram I've gotten in Destiny has identified into the same pool of 4 items.

Every.
Single.
One.

I once bought 9 from the shows up every weekend guy, 5 identified into the same helmet, the other 4 into the same helmet for a different class.

I've also never seen a primary exotic one like ever, I think they don't exist and this poo poo has been going for a little over 6 months, for a loot driven game it sure is super lovely with the loot.

It used to be much, much worse.

But yeah the streaky RNG for engrams is fuckin infuriating.

Arrath has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Mar 8, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So here's two really petty ones that are just getting on my nerves a bit.
First off I ordered a game on amazon, and I don't think i'm going to do that anymore because their delivery times are getting worse and worse. It's been over a week now and the delivery date on my game is now listed at march 29th-april 19th. The game shipped on the fourth.

Secondly, I like Puzzle and Dragons. It's a fun mobile game. But then they introduced the multi-player dungeons which are a hassle to set up and seem really stupid to do. More over, they require you to have a competent second person to finish them. More and more they're introducing new bosses for them and not the main game. So it's really kind of a bummer that a game I've played for several years now is just saying gently caress you, here's content you don't want and will never play. Especially since there's a good chance some of it will be necessary to get other characters later on.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Xoidanor posted:

MGSV is a fun game where most missions will let you deal with your problems in a number of ways. EP45, A Quiet Return, is not one of those missions. The game will lock you into an onslaught position, with no alternative of returning to the ACC and playing the mission later, with a shitload of tanks and units storming your position. Don't have the battle dress equipped? gently caress you, here some one-shotting long-range tanks, go restart the mission loser. Haven't been upgrading your rocket launchers? gently caress you, have fun requesting supply drops non-stop as your rockets do barely any damage to anything past the first wave.

It really isn't that difficult but man is it a loving slog, not helped by it being one of the missions approaching the endgame which you have to farm side objectives to even get to play.

i did this mission with the condition that i extract every vehicle i could. mind you, i was using the raiden skin so i could lightning dash to every target and a fully upgraded stealth camo so it'd be harder to find me during alerts but even then the mission was a gauntlet. also you can't bring in dwalker because once the battle starts quiet takes over as your buddy.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A LOT of old FPSes had that problem. In the mid-late 90's, half the time level design was "hunt down the blue key for the blue door, and spend your time wandering in circles until you stumble on the drat thing accidentally", so JKII was an improvement, if you can believe it.

No JKII is much, much worse than any classic FPS except maybe Hexen. A small child could easily navigate most Doom levels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arrath posted:

It used to be you'd get a good quality engram and then get something of a lower rarity level. They eventually patched that out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arrath posted:

Oh I am aware, my first purple engram ended up being a blue quality shotgun that was worse than what I had equipped, hell bungie themselves made fun of it during the tour given to players who've been around since year 1 when the cryptarch gives you a green engram that the item description said was badly painted over and I have been playing this terrible game since year 1 across 2 different platforms, believe I am well aware of the loot issues in Destiny, many of which still persist along with fun brand new ones like the moldering shard poo poo in the raid.

See the way the raid works is you always get moldering shards per boss kill and normally some loot, most of the time you just get moldering shards, once you defeat the final boss of the raid you auto swap those moldering shards for an extra loot roll provided you had 20, problem is Bungie didn't think to remove moldering shards from the loot pool upon defeating Oryx, so its very possible you'll trade you 20 shards for 2 and get nothing, because those stupid shards is totes a good reward for killing a loving raid boss.

Like maybe its just me but the raid should always guarantee SOMETHING but all the raids have had the issues where you get absolutely nothing.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Xoidanor posted:

Smoke grenades and Fulton is all I'm saying.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Borderlands (both 1 + 2) is a game that is designed to be replayed a couple of times, as there's different classes. The intros take 20 minutes or so, with squeaky voiced claptrap rambling on for the majority of that time.

If there was a button that you could press to skip the first hour of either, the games would be remembered a lot more fondly. Over 4-5 characters you're hanging out at Claptrap's house for like a full hour. Brutal. Definitely surprised that no one had flagged this in playtesting. I wonder if there's a dumpster full of A4 pages at Gearbox, all just scrawled with 'I HATE THIS loving INTRO' over and over.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

well why not posted:

Borderlands (both 1 + 2) is a game that is designed to be replayed a couple of times, as there's different classes. The intros take 20 minutes or so, with squeaky voiced claptrap rambling on for the majority of that time.

If there was a button that you could press to skip the first hour of either, the games would be remembered a lot more fondly. Over 4-5 characters you're hanging out at Claptrap's house for like a full hour. Brutal. Definitely surprised that no one had flagged this in playtesting. I wonder if there's a dumpster full of A4 pages at Gearbox, all just scrawled with 'I HATE THIS loving INTRO' over and over.

Borderlands 2 is a very strangely structured game given its mechanics. Its a lot more plot and character heavy than a four player co-op loot 'n' shoot probably should be. The intro shows that, and just playing the game normally I found it a lot easier to take in the dialogue and explore the world when I was just playing by myself. But when you fill up the place with three additional people then the pacing breaks down, you get much more concerned with pressing forward since a lot of people don't care to hang around for Handsome Jack to finish yacking away and you don't want to be left out of the action and loot. The big bosses and set-pieces come and go much more quickly with the additional guns trained on them, which robs them of a lot of impact, you don't really have time to hoover up collectibles and the plot doesn't really make any accommodations for more than one player being present.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not convinced that anyone at Gearbox understood the game's design and mechanics well enough to recognize that problem, as evidenced by what an inconsistent mess of mechanical ideas the DLCs are. Some things are huge improvements over the base game (faster pace, better drops, better quest rewards, mostly better enemy design and placement), others are insanely poor decisions: basically all the bosses in the Torgue DLC, the crystal and teleporting skeletons in the D&D DLC, the backtracking in the pirate DLC. This says to me that they didn't actually learn from player responses and playing their own game, or the DLC design began at the same time as the rest of the game (not unlikely).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FactsAreUseless posted:

the crystal and teleporting skeletons in the D&D DLC

Oh god gently caress those guys. Also the Duke of Ork. Who the hell thought that an enemy who levels up to five levels above you in like half a minute would be a fun thing to fight?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Every single enemy focus-fires my character, mostly ignoring my teammates even if they're out in the open or flanked. Great shot at the strong dudes? Nope, everyone gangbang the mage. But only if the protagonist is a mage, otherwise there's no evident bias.

I mean holy poo poo, even with a character punching them in the face they'll fire past them, only to hit me in particular.

I hate this kind of suicidal let's-gently caress-the-player AI. Civilization is another example, the AI doesn't care about winning, as long as it makes you lose.

Thoughtless has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Mar 9, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh god gently caress those guys. Also the Duke of Ork. Who the hell thought that an enemy who levels up to five levels above you in like half a minute would be a fun thing to fight?
Oh yeah, I forgot about those. They're incredibly bad. It's basically impossible to stop them from leveling since they don't level by attacking other enemies like Goliaths, they just level on their own. So they're just insanely over-level enemies that are basically guaranteed to be giant HP sponges.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. They're incredibly bad. It's basically impossible to stop them from leveling since they don't level by attacking other enemies like Goliaths, they just level on their own. So they're just insanely over-level enemies that are basically guaranteed to be giant HP sponges.

Fought Duke of Ork last night in TVHM as level 51 Gaige.
I'd summon DT, hit Duke with a slag rocket, toss homing corrosive grenades and shoot SMG fire bullets into him until DT died, then run in circles until I could summon DT again. My Anarchy was nonexistent from him stomping me.

It was not fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

Fought Duke of Ork last night in TVHM as level 51 Gaige.
I'd summon DT, hit Duke with a slag rocket, toss homing corrosive grenades and shoot SMG fire bullets into him until DT died, then run in circles until I could summon DT again. My Anarchy was nonexistent from him stomping me.

It was not fun.
Gaige is awful because her only good damage skill is Anarchy, and Anarchy is a stupid mess. Not only does it have that weird reloading penalty, but in order to use it you have to build up a ton of stacks of it and not die. So if Gaige dies you have to run around for like twenty minutes minimum to be able to do enough damage to deal with any high-level threats.

Meanwhile, a bunch of other classes can hand out even more damage, without the accuracy penalties or weird requirements, anytime they want. Gaige might be the worst-designed character in the game, which is a shame because she'd be pretty interesting. Left tree doesn't scale into high levels, middle tree is just straight-up useless, right tree is built around the flawed Anarchy mechanic.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The thing really dragging down BL2 is that everyone behind it showed that BL1 was pure, blind luck. The iconic look? A relatively late addition and literally skin-deep. The story is laughably pathetic fan-fiction level dreck and it had every chance to be better, but didn't. The game went from having one hated and annoying character to having so many it's hard to remember. I didn't even bother finishing the Pre-Sequel and if a friend hadn't bought it

"HEY SLAG. YO SLAG; DANG SLAG." "Yo I'm the white as gently caress kid that talks in fake ebonics because lol" "Hohoho, black people with english accents tally ho". There was the fat mechanic lady which was simply tolerable and forgettable, just like the rest of the main cast from the last. The only arguably good character introduced was Torgue, if only because he's somewhat in the spirit of the first game, intentionally idiotic and over-blown.

The main villain is boring as gently caress and the only interesting thing they did with him that wasn't rubbish was the mission where he tells you to kill yourself for a paltry reward. That was ok. He certainly didn't deserve to be the main character of the next game or feature in the Telltale game, because no-one gives a poo poo about "space-amoral businessman" in a game that was supposed to be about comical violence and redneckery.

Rather than thinking "hey what might make a fun game mechanically" they decided to listen to the hardcore losers that played 1 to death and so lowered droprates for everything that made the game fun and good to play; whether interesting weapons (so rare as to never appear) or cool, different skillsets. (because you level slowly, badly and some of them are just useless and pathetic) and made replaying a necessity. Grinding is not fun. I don't know why no-one told them that no-one has ever complained about there being less grinding in a game but someone, please, let them know.

The levelled loot is lazily and haphazardly done and despite the whole point of the game being loot there is literally zero customization of it; it took until the third game for them to even add something that kinda, sorta, lets you gently caress around with it with the grinder. It is bad. It is poo poo. Either do it properly, by adding something that actually lets you modify things around in a better way or streamline further.

Seriously, I can't get over how bad the story for 2 was. The ending is some of the worst dreck I ever suffered through; it is literally someone comically inept as hell trying to do drama but failing in a way that should have had him fired on the spot and replaced by someones 10 year old or a random person off the street; they could have done better. My favourite is the idea of someone doing a "heroic sacrifice" in a world where instant respawning is normal and part of the world. Especially as the aforementioned best mission already featured that as a joke, so it was probably written by someone else.

I didn't care enough about the Pre-Sequel to really criticize it. The oxygen stuff is, again, just pointless avoidance of real customization and it showed them, like people here said, to be fundamentally incapable of understanding their games.

I liked Clap-trap, I suppose?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the new-u station is non-canon

you know, literally the first thing you interract with at the beginning of the first loving game, is not canon to the story.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BillmasterCozb posted:

you know, literally the first thing you interract with at the beginning of the first loving game, is not canon to the story.
Like, it would have been such a good Borderlands thing.

"Oh no, the Black Guy died first! We will honour your sacrifice forever, guy who was ok for playthrough 1 but the turrent was poo poo in NG+ ! "

"lol i just respawned, though you guys owe me a drink"

If a competent writer wrote a gag like that, it would have been good. Alas, we were saddled with someone who thought the height of comedy was memetic references and actually, gently caress me, wanted Borderlands to be serious and dramatic.

no wait are you serious, I was still in rant mode

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
There;s an entire mission dedicated to you getting paid by Handsome Jack to kill yourself since you'll just respawn. There's plenty to criticize BL2 for without having to make stuff up.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

BillmasterCozb posted:

Haha, what? How is it not cannon? It's mentioned all the time.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

There;s an entire mission dedicated to you getting paid by Handsome Jack to kill yourself since you'll just respawn. There's plenty to criticize BL2 for without having to make stuff up.
And yet the conclusion of the story has them ignore it. Almost, as if, the guy who wrote the main story was a moron who didn't think about that...

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

moosecow333 posted:

Haha, what? How is it not cannon? It's mentioned all the time.

According to Anthony Burch, it just isn't, as far as the plot is concerned. (The BL2 wiki cites https://www.twitch.tv/destructoid/b/334353557 as the source for this, but this link doesnt seem to work for me.)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I remember the writer mentioning somewhere (I think in a post on their forums) that the stations were just meant to be a game mechanic that inadvertently got turned into a setting feature by adding the condescending hyperion lines when you respawn. He said they weren't intended to be a part of the setting that you really thought about, but that adding those lines was a mistake because doing so turned the stations into just that and made players question why other people, especially jack himself, didn't respawn.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I am by no means a fan of the Borderlands games but at this point Anthony Burch has become such a massive target of the Ethics In Games Journalism crowd that there's really no point in encouraging the kinds of people who have a weirdly encyclopedic knowledge of his every minor media appearance.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

I am by no means a fan of the Borderlands games but at this point Anthony Burch has become such a massive target of the Ethics In Games Journalism crowd that there's really no point in encouraging the kinds of people who have a weirdly encyclopedic knowledge of his every minor media appearance.

People are just talking about lovely writing dude.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

lol, did you even read the past few posts past "burch"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

BillmasterCozb posted:

lol, did you even read the past few posts past "burch"

You tried to argue that the story is wrong because a nonexistent video contradicts a minor plot point that is actually addressed in the game, that's pretty weird and reaching for a game that is so easy to criticize on its own merits.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I ended up losing interest in Bulletstorm fairly early on, partly because of who they decided to kill and who they didn't at the beginning of the game. The redneck guy should have been the one who survived and the whole thing should have been played for redneck comedy, but nooooo, the boring guy had to become a boring, angry cyborg instead.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Woolie Wool posted:

I ended up losing interest in Bulletstorm fairly early on, partly because of who they decided to kill and who they didn't at the beginning of the game. The redneck guy should have been the one who survived and the whole thing should have been played for redneck comedy, but nooooo, the boring guy had to become a boring, angry cyborg instead.

The redneck is the main character though?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Digirat posted:

I remember the writer mentioning somewhere (I think in a post on their forums) that the stations were just meant to be a game mechanic that inadvertently got turned into a setting feature by adding the condescending hyperion lines when you respawn. He said they weren't intended to be a part of the setting that you really thought about, but that adding those lines was a mistake because doing so turned the stations into just that and made players question why other people, especially jack himself, didn't respawn.

The condescending Hyperion lines were/are a lovely feature anyways, who wants to be mocked for respawning in a game where you'll probably get killed a lot (barring FPS savants and really good character/gear builds that I don't know.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

The condescending Hyperion lines were/are a lovely feature anyways, who wants to be mocked for respawning in a game where you'll probably get killed a lot (barring FPS savants and really good character/gear builds that I don't know.)

Portal players, probably.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

No one says anything when you die in Portal though? Maybe in co-op, but I've never played that. You get special messages when you somehow make a test unsolvable, but you generally have to go out of your way to make that happen.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Digirat posted:

My favorite rationalization for this is that since the stations take a percentage of your cash to pay for the respawn, and handsome jack is so obscenely rich, the respawners just glitch up trying to calcuate a high enough fee to match the percentage and thus don't respawn him.

StandardVC10 posted:

No one says anything when you die in Portal though? Maybe in co-op, but I've never played that. You get special messages when you somehow make a test unsolvable, but you generally have to go out of your way to make that happen.
You get a one line quip from glados every single time one of the players dies in co-op.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
The Division is an MMO-lite 3rd person shooter. It has to be connected online permanently, even if you just want to solo it. That's an annoyance, but I totally get why it needs to be online, so I don't really have a huge problem with that.

My issue is with the disconnect screen. When you get disconnected, you get a black screen with an error code and/or and explanation of what went wrong. This will occur when your internet shits itself for whatever reason, or the servers poo poo themselves for whatever reason. Just now the servers went down for server maintenance, for example. That's fine, but once you get the disconnect screen, you have one option, which is to basically confirm you got the message, and go OK.
Then you get another screen in which your only option is to try to reconnect. Which it will attempt to do, fail, then give you the disconnect screen again. In which you must continue through to the reconnect screen again.

So the only way I've found to get out of that loop is to go to my desktop and shut the game down from there. It's lovely design that I can't go "Oh, servers down, I'll just quit through a menu or exit directly from that screen".

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tengames posted:

My favorite rationalization for this is that since the stations take a percentage of your cash to pay for the respawn, and handsome jack is so obscenely rich, the respawners just glitch up trying to calcuate a high enough fee to match the percentage and thus don't respawn him.

There's some rationalizations for new-u stations working/not-working that make sense. They don't work for Roland, because as an actual dangerous rebel against Hyperion he was removed from the databanks. But the player character wasn't- at first because Jack doesn't regard you as a threat/is using you to accomplish his goals/gets mad cash when you die. But later on (after Angel's death) it's personal- so you stay in the system because he wants to be the one to kill you, and isn't willing to risk someone else getting you.

Handsome Jack not coming back... I dunno. Too rich is a funny answer, so I like it. Maybe he was just too conceited and proud to even consider death as a possibility.

but really the writers should have realized the problem and addressed it explicitly in game, I think.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What dragged down Borderlands 2 for me, going into it basically blind, was that moving made weapons less accurate, crouching more, etc. I would've expected that sort of thing from a more realistic shooter (which I avoid because of mechanics like that), but B2 felt like more of a Diablo With Guns game and it really bummed me out that it was there. Don't think I made it much past the Ice Zone because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

What dragged down Borderlands 2 for me, going into it basically blind, was that moving made weapons less accurate, crouching more, etc. I would've expected that sort of thing from a more realistic shooter (which I avoid because of mechanics like that), but B2 felt like more of a Diablo With Guns game and it really bummed me out that it was there. Don't think I made it much past the Ice Zone because of it.

Yeah, aside from having a horribly annoying story and being a bad RPG, BL2 is also just not a very good shooter. With the the HP scaling, most weapons don't feel particularly powerful and it often takes an annoyingly long time to even just kill regular trash enemies. And for all their touted weapon variety, many of the weapons don't even feel particularly different in terms of actually using them. Most of the time their differences just boil down to how long you need to hold down the trigger until the enemy's dead.