Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tabletops posted:

only problem being actually getting to and finishing/farming Ivory King for the set :(

If you really want to do this you could probably beg the thread to have someone CE it and drop it for you. That person is not me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

fennesz posted:

If you really want to do this you could probably beg the thread to have someone CE it and drop it for you. That person is not me.
If Tabletops is up for it, and is between 1.5M-30M soul memory on SotFS PC, I can certainly assist. I recently finished my spear run and farmed the whole 50 necessary for Eleum Loyce.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Gologle posted:

Do not beat the Ivory King if you plan on farming for Loyce Souls. I mean it. As long as the boss is undefeated then summon signs can still pop up and you don't have to Bonfire Ascetic to fight a harder version of the boss. Summons make the fight go quicker, and as far as I know do not negatively impact the souls drop rate.

Alternatively, beg Tallgeese to come into your world and drop 50 Loyce Souls for you.

wouldn't it be easier to just get summoned to get the souls? since they drop when you are summoned? that would be better for health/item management on a no bonfire run as well, I assume.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You would think, wouldn't you? But I tried that, and the rate of summoning is very low. It's better to be the player summoning than the one being summoned, and yes, I don't think that makes any sense either.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sperglord Firecock posted:

use the (i think) loyce armor for maximum health regen

could probably get away with no bonfires with that

The heal takes away durability though, so I'd probably need bonfires anyway just to repair the weapon.

Anyway, it's a shame that the DLCs take so long to get to, because there are so many items with potential for fun gimmick runs. Crown of the Ivory King is of course the worst since you need to kill all the Old Ones or get 1m souls before even being able to get there, so if I do a Eleum Loyce healing only run I'd basically have to CE it in otherwise the run would be halfway done before I even get the gimmick item :cheeky:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Eleum Loyce seems like it would work better for a no-bonfire run if you were running around in NG+, since then you could just support it with the Crown of the Old Iron King and Repair. Of course, both of those are non-trivial to acquire and basically allow for more broad shenanigans anyway.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
No Bonfire INT/spell run sounds like hell incarnate.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

HGH posted:

No Bonfire INT/spell run sounds like hell incarnate.
How so? Even with the magic tweaks since the game was first released nearly two years ago, magic damage is still in a relatively comfortable position. Or would this be NG only? (No bonfires in NG is a pain in the rear end in general, so I don't see how focusing on magic damage would make it all that more tricky.)

In other news, I found someone perhaps making a cheeky political statement tonight. At least I think that's the point of someone named DonTrump wearing the transparent Armor of Aurous. :v:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well I thought having to manage herbs on top of everything else would be even more annoying/costly.
Also I don't know why but I never considered NG+ no bonfire runs.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

youtube fact lists

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gologle posted:

Do not beat the Ivory King if you plan on farming for Loyce Souls. I mean it. As long as the boss is undefeated then summon signs can still pop up and you don't have to Bonfire Ascetic to fight a harder version of the boss. Summons make the fight go quicker, and as far as I know do not negatively impact the souls drop rate.

Alternatively, beg Tallgeese to come into your world and drop 50 Loyce Souls for you.

It's better to farm the souls on NG+, the drop rate is much better.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Getting repair on a no bonfire run wouldn't work because you wouldn't be able to sit down to reattune. V:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It would if you also had the Crown of the Old Iron King, but like I said using either of those to further a no-bonfire run is basically impossible in NG without hacking.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I did my no-bonfire run in NG+ with repair + crown of the iron king and that basically removed most of the difficulty besides planning the route / order to light fires and chanting "don't touch the fire" to myself like a mantra constantly.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Am I missing how to attune a spell without sitting at a Bonfire?

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Presumably you would do that before moving into NG+.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

you can't. you'd either do a NG no bonfire run with no more spells than any class starts with, or you'd do it NG+ and before you reset the game you'd make sure you have all the spells you wanted attuned.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Guess I've gotten better at the game. I've killed the pursuer 3 times now and only the first time gave me trouble.

I think once your adaptability Stat isn't poo poo, the game becomes much more enjoyable.

Also do some enemies just straight up stop respawning? One of the Knights on heides tower of flame isn't there anymore.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

Guess I've gotten better at the game. I've killed the pursuer 3 times now and only the first time gave me trouble.

I think once your adaptability Stat isn't poo poo, the game becomes much more enjoyable.

Also do some enemies just straight up stop respawning? One of the Knights on heides tower of flame isn't there anymore.

Yea, unless you're in the Covenant of Champions, mobs will stop spawning after killing them 10-15 times or something.

On a separate note--gently caress the Iron Passage and the Blue Smelter Demon. Three times he literally had no visible health left and beat me to the final hit. I hate that guy.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Hey I beat the game. Pretty neat.

New Game is pretty weird. I was floored at the Things Betwixt area, and I didn't expect the Falconers to have falcons this time. That was a neat touch.

Since I did a sun sword and board my first run, and I positively suck at parrying, what are some options for good black knight greatsword builds?

Or, should I just start playing Bloodborne?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Since I did a sun sword and board my first run, and I positively suck at parrying, what are some options for good black knight greatsword builds?

With the Black Knight Greatsword you can go two ways. The first being to keep the thing physical and get just the faith/int require to wield it. The other is to infuse it with fire, get the minimum str/dex and then pump int/faith/att for more fire damage and to make good use out of pyromancy. Although since the str/dex requirements are fairly high this means your stats will be spread out a bit more, so less HP and other stuff. On the plus side high int/fth will also allow you to dabble in hexes.

quote:

This is also a valid choice.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Genocyber posted:

With the Black Knight Greatsword you can go two ways. The first being to keep the thing physical and get just the faith/int require to wield it. The other is to infuse it with fire, get the minimum str/dex and then pump int/faith/att for more fire damage and to make good use out of pyromancy. Although since the str/dex requirements are fairly high this means your stats will be spread out a bit more, so less HP and other stuff. On the plus side high int/fth will also allow you to dabble in hexes.

Do this, beeline for the rotten and get the black crypt greatsword, then infuse it with dark. Use which ever one suites your fancy.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

blackguy32 posted:

including what other people have said, certain enemies with special drops will not respawn when they are killed

one of the heide's tower knights drops a sublime bone dust, he only lives once

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

hard counter posted:

including what other people have said, certain enemies with special drops will not respawn when they are killed

one of the heide's tower knights drops a sublime bone dust, he only lives once
Keep in mind that's only in the original, and it's not a Heide Knight but an Old Knight who drops it. (In fact Heide Knights don't show up at all in Heide's Tower of Flame when you're playing the original version.) But yeah, there's also the Monastery Phantom in Aldia's Keep and the Dual Avelyn Bell Keeper (:argh:) in Belfry Sol.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

You should do this, because Bloodborne is a truly great game.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Bloodborne owns and will teach you how to parry

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Hey I beat the game. Pretty neat.

New Game is pretty weird. I was floored at the Things Betwixt area, and I didn't expect the Falconers to have falcons this time. That was a neat touch.

I played Bloodborne before starting this, and for me Bloodborne is better in pretty much every way, but opinions on the matter are divided.

I'm also really bad at this game it seems, I'm dying a lot. In BB I died a lot in the opening area, but once I got past the Cleric beast I had a good feel of the game and got more proficient at it. Here it's the opposite, the forest of fallen giants was reasonably easy, with the Last giant a complete pushover, but everything after that (Pursuer, Heide's tower of flames) is really hard for me.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
The difficulty progression isn't always smooth, some areas will jump up a bit and Heide's is one of them.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Alright, is a Raw (since mundane sucks) infused Santier's + offhand crossbow build a crazy idea for PvE (that can also fend off invaders)? There aren't really many stats to pick beyond minimum str+dex and vig+end so I guess I could pump vitality and fast roll in heavy armor. Or would it end up really anemic without Flynn's in the endgame?

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Sounds fun, and can definitely beat the game. But eventually (like NG+ territory) you might feel weak if you never level any damage stats. Non-scaling weapons only get you so far.

Might as well pump some caster stats when you reach hit diminishing returns on Vig/End. That synergizes well with a heavy armor build for PvP, and you also get the benefit of being called a dirty Havel Mage.

Elerion fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 11, 2016

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Not planning to go beyond NG. As long as people think it'll be good enough for the DLCs, I'm going to try it :v:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

kanonvandekempen posted:

I played Bloodborne before starting this, and for me Bloodborne is better in pretty much every way, but opinions on the matter are divided.

I'm also really bad at this game it seems, I'm dying a lot. In BB I died a lot in the opening area, but once I got past the Cleric beast I had a good feel of the game and got more proficient at it. Here it's the opposite, the forest of fallen giants was reasonably easy, with the Last giant a complete pushover, but everything after that (Pursuer, Heide's tower of flames) is really hard for me.

Yeah, Heide's tower of flame sucks balls. My suggestion: Run past everything until you get to the boss because this section of the game isnt all that great. Or you can fight the pursuer, learn how to fight him now, because it shows up at least 4 more times. My suggestion for fighting him is that a lot of his attacks can by dodged by moving towards him and to the right. For his triple attack, I usually just back away from him.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

kanonvandekempen posted:

heide's is an even easier zone than fofg because it's so short and there's 7 identical enemies between you and the dragonrider boss (assuming you don't try and stab a white knight). you can also legit run from the bonfire to the fog wall without fighting any of them if you want. what's giving you trouble in heide's? are you trying to kill the dragon with no bows at a low level?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Until it clicks for you, those "7 identical enemies" are pretty tough. Especially when you're still learning the ropes and suddenly you have to (seemingly) fight three at once and (definitely) two.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

homeless poster posted:

heide's is an even easier zone than fofg because it's so short and there's 7 identical enemies between you and the dragonrider boss (assuming you don't try and stab a white knight). you can also legit run from the bonfire to the fog wall without fighting any of them if you want. what's giving you trouble in heide's? are you trying to kill the dragon with no bows at a low level?

The huge knights are killing me more than I would like, is all. Also having to fight with your HP severely handicapped because of hollowing. The game is also quite a bit more complicated with different play styles etc, and I haven't really studied it in depth yet. I planned on just doing everything as a dude with a shield and a melee weapon, but it's not that simple.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Heide's gave me a lot more trouble than the zone before it and the zone behind it especially so early in the game when your stats aren't where they should be. It was the section that almost made me quit the game.

But if you are going to fight them, then use a blunt weapon.

kanonvandekempen posted:

The huge knights are killing me more than I would like, is all. Also having to fight with your HP severely handicapped because of hollowing. The game is also quite a bit more complicated with different play styles etc, and I haven't really studied it in depth yet. I planned on just doing everything as a dude with a shield and a melee weapon, but it's not that simple.

I was in your same boat until I recollected my thoughts and said gently caress it and moved on to the boss. The boss was much easier than that whole section.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

Until it clicks for you, those "7 identical enemies" are pretty tough. Especially when you're still learning the ropes and suddenly you have to (seemingly) fight three at once and (definitely) two.

Actually, in the room with the three knights you should fight the greatsword-wielding knight off to the left or right. When he's dead, they two remaining knights will go after you, but their range is just short enough that if you stand to the right the left one will bounce back, and vice-versa :eng101: They might try to go for an attack or two but eventually they'll go back to their spot. Also, you obviously don't want to get too close or you're back to fighting two (greatsword+sword&board).

Speaking of, the Old Knights are some of my favorite enemies (well, except for the hammer-wielders) because once you learn them you don't even need to use your dodge to avoid their attacks. Just move in a certain pattern and they literally can't hit you.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

kanonvandekempen posted:

The plain ol mace (or club, craftsman hammer) is a really, really good up close weapon, few enemies resist crush damage and it is great at breaking poise, great for sword and board playstyle. its range sucks though.

also, the Agility stat is a must get, increased your invincibility frames on rolling. Pump you adaptability stat intil agility is at least 95, its a lifesaver.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Your Computer posted:

Actually, in the room with the three knights you should fight the greatsword-wielding knight off to the left or right. When he's dead, they two remaining knights will go after you, but their range is just short enough that if you stand to the right the left one will bounce back, and vice-versa :eng101: They might try to go for an attack or two but eventually they'll go back to their spot. Also, you obviously don't want to get too close or you're back to fighting two (greatsword+sword&board).

Speaking of, the Old Knights are some of my favorite enemies (well, except for the hammer-wielders) because once you learn them you don't even need to use your dodge to avoid their attacks. Just move in a certain pattern and they literally can't hit you.
I know all of these things, but starting out, I for sure didn't ;).

I'm just kinda allergic to "uh guys actually this is really easy???" posts because of loving course it is after you did it 10 times, and even if you had no problems the first time, that does not invalidate other people's problems or makes them stupid for asking.

Not directed at you, just in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

kanonvandekempen posted:

The knights have very predictable attack patterns. Three attacks, the last with a large horizontal reach. Bait out their three attacks and then attack, repeat as necessary.