Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
It doesn't have to be cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Cthulhu Wars is starting to take the mickey though, in that it's just south of$200, mostly for the oversized components. I enjoyed it a lot though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

Cthulhu Wars is starting to take the mickey though, in that it's just south of$200, mostly for the oversized components. I enjoyed it a lot though.

Yeah. It's a great game, very well balanced and accessible with minimal instruction from an experienced player, but due to its cost I don't recommend it to people.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Dammit, the only wedding I attend in 3 years and it's on the Saturday of the UK Games Expo. I'll have to wait till next year :(

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Fat Turkey posted:

Dammit, the only wedding I attend in 3 years and it's on the Saturday of the UK Games Expo. I'll have to wait till next year :(

Awfully nice of them to postpone their wedding an entire year for you.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Wouldn't City of Horror be just the ticket?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

What exactly goes on at UK Games Expo? I've heard it's not like Spiel.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

What happens at UK Games Expo stays at UK Games Expo

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yet another Goon Game of nTTA

Game Name: Game Goon Game Goon Game Goon Game
pw: stairs

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

T-Bone posted:

Yet another Goon Game of nTTA

Game Name: Game Goon Game Goon Game Goon Game
pw: stairs

I'm gonna lose horribly :ohdear:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Rumda posted:

I'm gonna lose horribly :ohdear:

I just blew a 100 point lead in another game, there is only death.

e: one spot left

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

T-Bone posted:

I just blew a 100 point lead in another game, there is only death.

e: one spot left

In the first game I played a literal 11 year old was my strongest rival.

(To be fair it was her dads copy of the game and they had played it the night before)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aston posted:

What happens at UK Games Expo stays at UK Games Expo

Thanks, that's really helpful when trying to decide whether or not to go.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jedit posted:

I don't honestly know since this is the first time I'm going. I know they do a lot of big tourneys, but I would expect that there is a trade side to the expo as well. There's more information on the website about it, and I'll ask my friend that has been before what it was like last year and report back.

Tommmmm
Jan 1, 2012
I'll be going, but just for Guild Ball. This'll be the first year there isn't any Warmachine tournament - end of an era.

They take over a hotel and theough a good half of the rooms is sales stands, the rest is split for games rooms and rpgs. Pathfinder, xwing and netrunner are massive at it and get thier own tents/halls. Theres also a large open game hall you can play your new purchases in as well as a library you can borrow from. Theres also a few seminars if thats your thing and also some terrible cosplay.

You can buy tickets on the door, but if you want to play in a tournament or organised group you'll need to buy those tickets in advance, which are seperate from the door ticket.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Jedit posted:

You're very welcome, I just try to do my part.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Is PitchCar a well regarded dexterity game? I seem to remember it being mentioned in a positive light once a while back, but have never really seen it brought up or discussed beyond that. Noticed that CSI has it on sale for $58 right now which seems like a decent price for a big box of wood stuff that's normally eighty or ninety bucks, and it looks cool as heck.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Is PitchCar a well regarded dexterity game? I seem to remember it being mentioned in a positive light once a while back, but have never really seen it brought up or discussed beyond that. Noticed that CSI has it on sale for $58 right now which seems like a decent price for a big box of wood stuff that's normally eighty or ninety bucks, and it looks cool as heck.

It's... I think the best way of putting it is "not worth the cost of entry."

It's not bad, but it takes really long to play, there's not much to it, and it's stupid expensive. There's a real, visceral thrill to the game, but downtime kicks in super fast once you get too many players. Also, the long-term enjoyment of the game comes from crazy track setups, which requires expansions. PitchCar is something I'd put on a wishlist to receive as a gift but not something I'd actually purchase for myself.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have an interesting game of Food Chain Magnate going. Three player and I'm currently dead last. A big early mistake (thought there was no access to lemonade for an opponent - turned out dead wrong) made me third by a country mile. The other two players have huge sprawling companies and I have tiddlywinks.

The two opponents were racing with each other dumping restaurants across the board and undercutting prices earlier in the game - sniping my perma-advertising and preventing me from getting even a single sale. This has led to an odd situation.

Despite being able to produce anything they want and having restaurants everywhere and big advertising campaigns happening - they're only making well under 100$ per round because they have slammed their prices down to 1$ in a price war. They are moving hella product but not making much profit after their expenses.

I think I might actually have an out here by advertising as much as I can everywhere (so long as it benefits them both equally) and I might actually be able to out-demand their supply and actually sell something (for base $10 to boot). I'm going to find out :ninja:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

I have an interesting game of Food Chain Magnate going. Three player and I'm currently dead last. A big early mistake (thought there was no access to lemonade for an opponent - turned out dead wrong) made me third by a country mile. The other two players have huge sprawling companies and I have tiddlywinks.

The two opponents were racing with each other dumping restaurants across the board and undercutting prices earlier in the game - sniping my perma-advertising and preventing me from getting even a single sale. This has led to an odd situation.

Despite being able to produce anything they want and having restaurants everywhere and big advertising campaigns happening - they're only making well under 100$ per round because they have slammed their prices down to 1$ in a price war. They are moving hella product but not making much profit after their expenses.

I think I might actually have an out here by advertising as much as I can everywhere (so long as it benefits them both equally) and I might actually be able to out-demand their supply and actually sell something (for base $10 to boot). I'm going to find out :ninja:

You should grab a luxury manager while you're at it, if demand is outstripping supply that badly.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
As soon as I can I will, but demand is not outstripping supply (yet - that's the situation maybe I can create.) I have literally zero sales and no way to pay for one currently.

It's interesting because a few rounds ago I thought "well, that's it this game is over" but then it's not and I review the logs and... they're just in a big knife fight over tiny margins and maybe I can use that.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Food Chain Magnate sounds fascinating and I am really sad it costs loving $120.

Like I COULD buy it, but I don't think I can justify it.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Aerox posted:

Play it online, maybe that will change your mind!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Steampunk Rally is pretty cool after all. It's definitely a game which requires a lot of explanation along the way, it's kind of difficult to easily sum up without simply diving in and getting down to it. I was worried at first because the track I laid out inadvertently had some heavy damage terrain near the beginning and I thought this might cause a big pileup of people getting exploded and stuck moving backwards, but it actually turned into a much closer race than I thought it would. There was a point about halfway through where it seemed to click with everyone and suddenly there was a lot of "okay so I use this blue die to get a couple of reds which I use to power this component which moves me and gives me cogs which I'm spending to raise this yellow which I spend here to give me armor and then I'll use this other die to do this etc." and so on. Everyone agreed that it was fun despite the fact that it took us probably two and a half hours to get through the one game.

My only real complaint is that the cards feel kind of cheap and because they're a weird size it means sleeving them isn't really an option, so I'm worried that repeated playthroughs could have them wearing out, but that's a distant concern at this point.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Aerox posted:

:eng101:
Just make your own copy.

The components all look like they came from the dollar store anyway, so you can maintain the aesthetic fairly cheaply.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rutibex posted:

:eng101:
Just make your own copy.

The components all look like they came from the dollar store anyway, so you can maintain the aesthetic fairly cheaply.

To be fair, it's only really the tiles that look cheap, and it's probably more to be functional since you have to track roads to see what houses/restaurants/beverages they pass. The art on the cards themselves is pretty well-done.

I think it's the color scheme more than anything that makes it look ugly.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Mega64 posted:

To be fair, it's only really the tiles that look cheap, and it's probably more to be functional since you have to track roads to see what houses/restaurants/beverages they pass. The art on the cards themselves is pretty well-done.

The cards look like clip art and the paper money is hideous. But imagine how much Splotter would charge for their games if they had to hire a decent graphic designer!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kinda sucks there won't be a Predators expansion for the Pred Legendary Encounters. The movie wasn't bad :v: I imagine it's a licensing issue. With Predator 4 coming hopefully they'll expand the cardpool.

I don't really care about Firefly,either. :sigh:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jedit posted:

What exactly goes on at UK Games Expo? I've heard it's not like Spiel.

It's basically an expo. That isn't very useful to hear, I know, but to me when I went a couple years back it felt like every other expo or convention I've been to - primarily a big trade hall where you have the chance to get stuff a little cheaper than normal and maybe find things you otherwise couldn't, several rooms around the outside where you could sign up or mill around until it was your turn to take part in games or listen to speakers at different times. Don't expect thrilling revelations from any of the panels and get in early if there are signups.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Guess whose FLGS got a copy of Food Chain Magnate in. :shepspends:

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

TheHoosier posted:

Kinda sucks there won't be a Predators expansion for the Pred Legendary Encounters. The movie wasn't bad :v: I imagine it's a licensing issue. With Predator 4 coming hopefully they'll expand the cardpool.

I don't really care about Firefly,either. :sigh:

Yeah but

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It's basic Legendary, though. Encounters has changes that make it a good game. Not the first time you'll hear this or the last, but it would have been much better and more fitting if Big Trouble had been an Encounters game and Failfly had been the basic expansion.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Kingdom death is actually pretty fun. Sort of like Don't Starve mixed with a rogue like mixed with AD&D.

I couldn't imagine paying the full price they're asking for it even though the sculpts ate amazing.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
gently caress I didn't realise that was actually a thing. Foolishly assumed they would all work like Alien/Predator from now since that engine is good and Marvel is garbage. WELL NEVER MIND THEN :(

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm playing my first game of Keyflower tonight, and as my boardgame collection can prove, I'm bad at estimating the value I'm going to get out of something. Any newbie tips?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Remove any objects that could potentially be used as a weapon from the vicinity.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm playing my first game of Keyflower tonight, and as my boardgame collection can prove, I'm bad at estimating the value I'm going to get out of something. Any newbie tips?

Prepare your anus.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

theroachman posted:

Remove any objects that could potentially be used as a weapon from the vicinity.

Could be tough, the meeple bag makes an excellent cosh.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Fat Samurai posted:

Just try to enjoy your first game imo, also everyone is bad at keyflower. My friends love it because i usually beat the tar out of them at games but I still havent won keyflower against them in 3 plays

Also possibly have an alibi prepared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Fat Samurai posted:

Play close attention to how your city is being built. Don't do something stupid like build a road edge connecting to where a river tile would go in case you want to build multiple ships in a line for that bonus. If you get a chance to grab a green dude early, grab a green dude early and use him to lock down a tile you really want. Don't get mad at board games.