Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Mordja posted:

So confession time: I've never really played Doom, outside of messing with it in browser ports back in highschool and maybe the first two shareware levels when I was even younger. I only got into FPS games at a relatively late age--the first shooter I played that wasn't on somebody else's computer was Return to Castle Wolfenstein--and the genre itself was supposedly banned in my household, but lol if you think that held up.

But, but, I am going to rectify that failure now, even if I am mostly buying Doom for its mods. So before I start, I just wanna make sure I'm up to date on Source Ports and stuff:

-If I want a true-to-1993 experience I should get Chocolate Doom, correct? It still lets me bump up the resolution, right?
-Otherwise GZDoom is the best one to use. Though I did see a LP where the guy said he prefered ZDoom, so I'm not quite sure what the difference is.
-What's the best mod manager anyway?

i like zdoom for original stuff and use gzdoom for brutal doom and all that poo poo, but whichever you end up using, if you want a true to 1993 experience, use the palplus wad and fix at the top of the mods section in the OP. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790#post392917170

it fixes the contrast and looks just like it used to look back then when we didn't have fancy lcds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Speaking of true to era poo poo, maybe you guys can help me. A few years ago on another forum i no longer visit, i saw a guy posting Quake shots where he used some kind of renderer that made the game look like the perfect mess it did back 1996, complete with it's old dos colour and pixel nightmares and i can't for the life of me remember the name of it. It was like a software renderer but i'm having trouble describing it, i wanna say 8bit but that's dumb it's not 8bit. Anyone know what i'm talking about?

edit: i remembered the guy's username just now and google is a wonderful thing.

the engine is qbism if anyone was wondering. http://super8.qbism.com/ a thing of beauty

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 10, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vikar Jerome posted:

Speaking of true to era poo poo, maybe you guys can help me. A few years ago on another forum i no longer visit, i saw a guy posting Quake shots where he used some kind of renderer that made the game look like the perfect mess it did back 1996, complete with it's old dos colour and pixel nightmares and i can't for the life of me remember the name of it. It was like a software renderer but i'm having trouble describing it, i wanna say 8bit but that's dumb it's not 8bit. Anyone know what i'm talking about?

qbism Super8

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Super8 doesn't really look like Quake looked on period hardware, but it does look a lot like how people remember it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordja posted:

Yeah, I'll almost certainly settle into GZDoom with all the bells and whistles, but for the first game at least, I kinda wanna experience it as it was. Only seen through heavily rose-tinted graphics because again, gently caress running at anything other than native and all these mouse buttons have to be used for something.

Thing is GZDoom has a ton of configuration options. You can configure GZDoom to be very very close to vanilla doom while being higher resolution and letting you look up and down (or not even!)

And heck even when I'm playing modern wads and I have aimlook and jumping on, I still leave sprite filtering off because it looks like garbage.

Chocolate Doom is really cool but its more of a museum piece at this point than the "proper" way to play "old school doom" IMO.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Keiya posted:

Super8 doesn't really look like Quake looked on period hardware, but it does look a lot like how people remember it.
Looking at it, PalPlus isn't how Doom looked on CRTs, either.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

did on mine, but my old crts were poo poo anyway and the brightness hosed because people insisted on anti-glare screens or whatever the gently caress it was.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Keiya posted:

The new dev builds are around 90% accurate if you disable colored lighting. Not perfect but drat close. I've compared them with WinQuake Mark V (perfect) and it takes a very careful eye to tell the difference.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Brutal Doom at 320x200 is something really special. :allears:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I really hope you can run doom4 at 320x200

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Assuming you're still rocking VGA there's no reason you couldn't. I remember I played UT3 at 320x200 for a day or two when I was waiting on a graphics card RMA to go through once.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Overload's not too much further from it's goal, it might actually get it!

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I'm a bit late to the launcher talk, but I really like Doom Launcher.

It requires a bit of an initial time investment to populate all the metadata to get it looking like that screenshot, especially if you have a lot of stuff that isn't on idgames, but the end result is really slick and robust, and I think it's well worth the trouble if your library is large enough to make you consider using a launcher.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

catlord posted:

I don't remember how I played it as a kid, probably with the joystick I used for everything (which as far as I remember was that bad Phantom Menace game), but when I set up Descent's controls I went keyboard/mouse, mouse looks and shoots (of course), WADS moves forwards, backwards , and side to side, QE rolls me, Shift and Ctrl moves me up and down respectively, just like jump and crouch in an on-foot based FPS. It works pretty well for me.
The Phantom Menace game is good. :colbert:

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
So I finally finished Dark Tide I so I jumped on the second episode, but it "crashes" after the cutscenes in DOSBox. I tried increasing the memory, using diff DOSBox branches (Daum etc.) and stuff and nothing :(
EDIT: Dunno what it was but it works now. Maybe something with briefing files idk. v:v:v

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 11, 2016

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dominic White posted:

I'm fully expecting them to let it cool off for a couple weeks, then relaunch the Kickstarter with the focal point being the playable demo.

It's going to be a close call, with less than 2 hours and only $3,767 left. Hope they make it, the demo is pretty cool!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They still need a bit less than $700.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They made it

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nokiaman posted:

So I finally finished Dark Tide I so I jumped on the second episode, but it "crashes" after the cutscenes in DOSBox. I tried increasing the memory, using diff DOSBox branches (Daum etc.) and stuff and nothing :(
EDIT: Dunno what it was but it works now. Maybe something with briefing files idk. v:v:v

memsize=31 in the dosbox file might be wonky. Also Dark Tide 2,3, and 4 are incredible - but are quite crashey.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

memsize=31 in the dosbox file might be wonky. Also Dark Tide 2,3, and 4 are incredible - but are quite crashey.

Yeah had to do that for III. It'd crash otherwise.
Finished II already and it was a blast (except for that stupid aquarium).

manero
Jan 30, 2006

:siren: Croteam just open-sourced Serious Sam :siren:

https://twitter.com/Croteam/status/708318491921752064

https://github.com/Croteam-official/Serious-Engine

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I don't think this was mentioned here, but the Humble Star Wars Bundle 2 added Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, and Battlefront II if anyone wants those. (It also has the KOTORs, the entire X-Wing/TIE Fighter series, and Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm so glad I went back and played Pirate Doom to completion. What a trip! :allears:

The final boss was a huge nuisance, though.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Keiya posted:

I don't think this was mentioned here, but the Humble Star Wars Bundle 2 added Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, and Battlefront II if anyone wants those. (It also has the KOTORs, the entire X-Wing/TIE Fighter series, and Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga)
They're all the Steam versions, though. IIRC Jedi Knight is missing the music, and X-Wing/TIE Fighter are missing the 1994 CD-ROM versions (which are basically the floppy versions, but with additional WAV sounds, higher resolution, the iMUSE system intact unlike the 1998 version, etc.).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I already got them all on both GOG and Steam except for Lego Star Wars. Not interested.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Casimir Radon posted:

The Phantom Menace game is good. :colbert:

Is it? It has been a very, very long time since I played it, I kept on getting stuck, and it would let you save in unwinnable situations, which was a huge problem for me when I was young and stupid. Maybe I should try it again, I still have the disc and there's guide for getting it running on modern computers.

Oh, neat. They kinda already did a little step towards that with Serious Sam: Revolution, right? That's being worked on(?) by fans, isn't it?

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

catlord posted:

Oh, neat. They kinda already did a little step towards that with Serious Sam: Revolution, right? That's being worked on(?) by fans, isn't it?

Yeah, Revolution is an officially-blessed fan project. It launched promising-but-buggy, but public development's slowed way down in the last year or so. Looking at Steam now, there hasn't been a patch since last April. The readme says this version of the codebase has "been modified to run correctly under the recent version of Windows;" does anyone know if this is the source from Revolution?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

catlord posted:

Is it? It has been a very, very long time since I played it, I kept on getting stuck, and it would let you save in unwinnable situations, which was a huge problem for me when I was young and stupid. Maybe I should try it again, I still have the disc and there's guide for getting it running on modern computers.

Yes it is. It's kind of an action/adventure hybrid. So you can spend time actually walking around, talking to people, and enjoying the scenery. It does have its flaws but ultimately it's really quite good. Somebody who worked for Big Ape did a pretty good q&a on Lucasforums back in 2001 or so. Originally it was supposed to have an original story and take place somewhere near ANH. Then it got retooled when the prequels were ramping up.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I remember having fun with The Phantom Menace game but I dunno if I'd call it good. It was fairly buggy if I remember right and I remember some levels being a gigantic pain in the rear end. But I do also remember how the Qui Gon levels were basically a mini-sandbox you could dick around in and you could get Anakin pissed off at you which was fun.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The Phantom Menace game is underrated, but the Episode I game that matters is Podracer.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It has some quirks but they're mostly fun and charming. In Otah Gunga Qui-Gon tells you to rescue Jar Jar without hirting any Gungans. Implying that you have to use the stun balls. You're not given many so any kid will quickly discover that there isn't actually any penalty for killing them at all. You might get a thermal detonator thrown at you if you kill a bunch of civilians, but you have a halfway decent chance of surviving that, and no one will treat you any differently later. You can murder just about anybody in Mos Espa, though Anakin will refuse to work with you if you kill civilians. You can kill Darth Maul in the desert but it doesn't actually get acknowledged or change anything. You can kill a bunch of different people on Coruscant as well.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, I remember all of that from when I played. I never got past Tatooine because I saved after Anakin refused to work with me. And yet, to this day I rarely use more than one save slot. You'd think I'd learn, but eh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jehde posted:

The Phantom Menace game is underrated, but the Episode I game that matters is Podracer.

That's not Jedi Power Battles :colbert:

Seriously Jedi Power Battles was so loving good. Timing your lightsaber parries to deflect lasers back into stormtrooper's faces never gets old.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously Jedi Power Battles was so loving good. Timing your lightsaber parries to deflect lasers back into stormtrooper's faces never gets old.
I don't think it had storm troopers. It was an Episode I tie-in. I've seen it described as the worst of the Episode I games but haven't actually played it myself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't think it had storm troopers. It was an Episode I tie-in. I've seen it described as the worst of the Episode I games but haven't actually played it myself.

Ah you're right, it was droids. But same difference. Deflecting blaster bolts back at enemies was so much fun.

Nooo way was it the worst Episode I tie-in. That was Obi-Wan.

Power battles is great, although a little janky on PS1. It looks much better on Dreamcast.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I've never heard of Jedi Power Battles but I'm willing to bet the Jedi Knight series did deflecting lasers back into stormtroopers' faces better.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah you're right, it was droids. But same difference. Deflecting blaster bolts back at enemies was so much fun.

Nooo way was it the worst Episode I tie-in. That was Obi-Wan.

Power battles is great, although a little janky on PS1. It looks much better on Dreamcast.
Forgot about Obi-Wan . Originally that was supposed to be this PC and next-gen game with revolutionary technology. Then they quietly made it an X-Box exclusive and it got bad reviews. This would repeated a decade later with Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. Big promises, quiet release to a couple outdated platforms, and bad reviews. Lucasarts really flounderee for a number of years before dying.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mak0rz posted:

I'm so glad I went back and played Pirate Doom to completion. What a trip! :allears:

The final boss was a huge nuisance, though.

I honestly can't think of a final boss I have ever enjoyed, in any genre of game.

I've enjoyed some final levels a whole lot, especially ones that do cool mechanical things with shifting environments, or innovative puzzles that build off of what you've already seen in the game, but final bosses? ugh. I like this new mainstream approach of just making the boss a QTE. gently caress it, the fight is going to suck anyway, let's just get it over with faster.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jordan7hm posted:

I honestly can't think of a final boss I have ever enjoyed, in any genre of game.

I've enjoyed some final levels a whole lot, especially ones that do cool mechanical things with shifting environments, or innovative puzzles that build off of what you've already seen in the game, but final bosses? ugh. I like this new mainstream approach of just making the boss a QTE. gently caress it, the fight is going to suck anyway, let's just get it over with faster.

Counter-argument: Bowser's hot tub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mak0rz posted:

Counter-argument: Bowser's hot tub.

Well yeah that's kind of what I mean. The boss is irrelevant in that. It's an environmental puzzle.