Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
He seems a little alarmist about all this, but I guess of all people he has an axe to grind with our new computer overlords. I think the Chicken Littles of the Go and Chess worlds are a bit odd. It's not like they're going to start letting computers into international tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

o.m. 94 posted:

i wonder if it's just because go AI research was done by men in basements until google actually decided to throw some money at it?

Basically true, but also important were the recent advances in methods and GPU hardware for training neural networks. Any earlier than about 4-5 years ago, nobody could have actually implemented the ideas behind AlphaGo successfully, even if they had seen the paper write-up (imho)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is there anywhere on the forums to discuss the live alphago games or is this it?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Booyah- posted:

Is there anywhere on the forums to discuss the live alphago games or is this it?

This is p much where to go. Ha ha. Go.

Also it's way too late on the east coast, friggen Korea.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Overwined posted:

He seems a little alarmist about all this, but I guess of all people he has an axe to grind with our new computer overlords. I think the Chicken Littles of the Go and Chess worlds are a bit odd. It's not like they're going to start letting computers into international tournaments.

Yes but you're going to have eventually everyone with just a phone in their pocket access to strength that's higher than any human could hope to reasonably achieve. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I spaced out for a minute; what did Alphago do that was so surprising? Apparantly prompting Lee Sedol to need to take a short break?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

most recent move at O10

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
5th line shoulder hit i guess

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

In my expert opinion, Lee Sedol should flip the board soon because AlphaGo has no hands to pick up the stones.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Rip game #2 for sedol

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
Oh man, even the Korean commentators don't know where it all went wrong, they thought Lee had a good midgame going.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Does he have any chance of pulling this back? The first game was much closer than this one...

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Lee said after the game that there was no point at which he felt like he was leading. One of AlphaGo's developers said that AlphaGo was confident of a win from early midgame.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Chas McGill posted:

The first game was much closer than this one...

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

AlphaGo may have made moves that seemed like mistakes to us, but maybe that's just it maximizing its winrate instead of trying to play well.

I think this'll be 5-0. Today's game proved that its normal play is at a very high level. To beat it you'd need to find a specific weakness but that's probably beyond mere mortals by now.

uXs fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 10, 2016

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I honestly agree, I think 5-0 is likely. Much much better games than the other match, but man.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Did anyone ask Lee Sedol about the o15 move that made him stand up from the table? Of course I have no idea what the implications of the move were, but they seemed to disturb Lee and indeed the game started to collapse from there.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
IIRC, Michael Redmond said it was unexpected, unusual, [but upon reflection] a very beautiful move. Maybe Lee had invested a lot into the assumption that AlphaGo would have made a more conventional move.

-

Ok, so maybe AlphaGo is better than Lee Sedol. But Ke Jie is better than Lee Sedol, too, right? Has Ke Jie said anything about these games?

LouDog004
Aug 29, 2009

Glitter Glisten Gloss Floss
Michael Redmond's impatience with his co-commentator has grown so gradually over the course of 9 hours. He seems like a very polite person. Stop interrupting the strong professional mid-sentence with your inane blather, dude.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

dirby posted:

Ok, so maybe AlphaGo is better than Lee Sedol. But Ke Jie is better than Lee Sedol, too, right? Has Ke Jie said anything about these games?

AlphaGo can't beat me, says Chinese Go grandmaster Ke Jie

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_international/734275.html posted:

“I had just assumed that AlphaGo would have some trouble at the beginning, but its ability to open up the game was astonishing. And then I thought we were both playing a challenging game of Go when the program blew me away by coming up with these completely impossible moves - that also appeared to be winning moves,” Lee recalled.

In effect, Lee had to face a faceless opponent whose ability wasn’t well known, and he was flabbergasted again and again by the moves this opponent made. The consternation that Lee felt in the match was evident in his remarks.

After watching AlphaGo make the game’s 102th move (counting both white and black stones), Lee mulled over his options for more than 10 minutes.
With black controlling a substantial portion in the center left of the board, AlphaGo had sensed that the game was turning against it and made a decisive move. The move was revolutionary - something that no one had expected, not even Go professionals.

“Even while Lee was playing a close game against AlphaGo, he felt he had an edge, but he seemed stunned by AlphaGo’s strong play on the 102th stone,” said 9-day Go grandmaster Kim Seong-ryong, the official commentator during the match.

“I made some mistakes in my opening moves, and there were also some surprising moves. Still, I think that if I can just compensate for those issues, I‘ll have a chance of winning,” Lee said in regard to his upcoming matches against AlphaGo. “I think my odds of winning now are one to one.”

While Lee could not hide his shock at the day’s defeat, he said that he was relishing the match of a century.

“While it did come as a shock to lose, I really enjoyed the game. I’m also looking forward to the matches to come. I don’t have any regrets about accepting AlphaGo’s challenge. I may have lost today, but I’m confident about tomorrow,” he said.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
this is so awesome. i know some people are feeling really down about it, but i feel like go is so deep that we'll never get to the bottom of it, and having this ai explore it for us is like using a telescope to see farther into the galaxy or something. im sure it will discover things i'll never understand but thats what the pros are there for, to explain it to us kyus lol

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

LouDog004 posted:

Michael Redmond's impatience with his co-commentator has grown so gradually over the course of 9 hours. He seems like a very polite person. Stop interrupting the strong professional mid-sentence with your inane blather, dude.

That guy is actively interfering with my enjoyment of the match. Is there any alternative English coverage?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Yeah I wish they'd gotten another English speaking professional to comment with Redmond

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Some twitter posts from Japan are quite interesting:

"...AlphaGo didn't have solid openings, but from midgame to endgame, it seems very strong. I'm beginning to wonder whether fuseki is important or not." - Takanashi Seiken

"Seems just like Mr. Satan vs. Cell, no?" - Okuma Yuto

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I don't like the guy alongside Redmond, either. Though I am enjoying the frequent shots Redmond makes across his bow. He's a 3d himself, but Redmond will constantly chide him for lovely reading ability or what have you.

In the first match, Redmond wished that AlphaGo would teach humans new things and felt that didn't happen. I think we got that at least twice in game 2 with the shoulder hit and the later invasion circa move 102.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.clickhole.com/clickventure/youre-computer-can-you-pass-turing-test-4009

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

King Pawn posted:

That guy is actively interfering with my enjoyment of the match. Is there any alternative English coverage?

The official AGA YouTube channel has the coverage you want.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

every 5 min: "I would like to welcome those of you just tuning in, blah blah blah blah blah"

For a youtube stream. Please shoot him into the sun.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I have to say, this match has really sparked my intellect. I have been thinking about Go all day.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Yeah, my interest in Go has been rekindled as well. Ive been playing like six or seven games a day lately

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Rated PG-34 posted:

every 5 min: "I would like to welcome those of you just tuning in, blah blah blah blah blah"

For a youtube stream. Please shoot him into the sun.

Yes probably told to say that stuff. He has an ear piece and people keep telling him to do stuff. Its be nice to have a pro anchor who knows when to ignore that stuff but I doubt you have a bunch of people clamoring to be AGA editors either.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

His name is Chris Garlock and why he was chosen, I have no idea. It's not hard to imagine that broadcast-eligible personalities would not be easy to find among the professional Go ranks, but it's so obvious that for both Garlock and the people putting on this stream, that no forethought has gone into its presentation. I definitely won't be tuning away, though. Michael Redmond is very dry and not good enough to MC this thing, but his explanations and play-throughs of variations are clear, concise, and helpful even to a slovenly amateur like myself.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Isn't Redmond there just because he's the highest ranked native English speaker or something? Who else could they choose from?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Chas McGill posted:

Isn't Redmond there just because he's the highest ranked native English speaker or something? Who else could they choose from?

That is probably why they chose him, but I think he's doing a good enough job for his role of being the person explaining things. The only really awkward parts I remember are when he is counting territory. It's the other guy who is awful

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i love how he's mentioned that he's 3d a few time yet he's going 'ohhh woowwww thats so coool!' when redmond is explaining nets and snapbacks. loll

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

totino boy posted:

i love how he's mentioned that he's 3d a few time yet he's going 'ohhh woowwww thats so coool!' when redmond is explaining nets and snapbacks. loll

I wonder how much of that is him overcompensating on beginner accessibility and how much of it is him being terrible.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

totino boy posted:

lmao

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah I'm curious how much of it is a show and how much is he's reeeeeally not 3d.

I had a professor in college who was dry like redmond. Best prof I ever had, his soft monotone drone made you fall asleep and he gave the most interesting lectures on operating systems.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i liked redmonds commentary a lot. myungwan and andrew tend to wander off into variations for so long and just be in their own world not even in relation to the game while moves are going on in the background. maybe a matter of taste, but i like that redmond stuck pretty much to what was actually going on in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I watched myungwan and jackson instead of Redmond. How was their stream?