Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

dijon du jour posted:

Good on you, Cyron.

I will take that was a component so thanks. not the first time I got into politics. I use to help film a pubic access show where we film mental health conferences and one time a year we film a rally at the state capitol and get inerviews from state representatives. I mean it wasn't CNN but I always felt good doing this sort of thing even if politics is full of hot air.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Cyron posted:

I use to help film a pubic assess show

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

you're cute. but thank you for fixing my typing errors. you're really helpful :)

Cyron fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 10, 2016

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Tracula posted:

I didn't mind this. He just seems a little out of touch and has his own odd opinions on things. His whole "Not a game" thing is leagues better than 99% of people I've seen bitch about Gone Home or Depression Quest.

A decent exploration game would be able to account for people tripping story flags out of order, and not just put arbitrary roadblocks in the way. It would reward people for exploring, not just following a set path.

Which is different from "not a game", but Rich Evans isn't known for being the best at words.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

kaleidolia posted:

A decent exploration game would be able to account for people tripping story flags out of order, and not just put arbitrary roadblocks in the way. It would reward people for exploring, not just following a set path.

Which is different from "not a game", but Rich Evans isn't known for being the best at words.

My worried with the firewatch review and the news of the force awakens Mr. Plankett review I am worried that RLM is sliding down the MRA path. but that depends on what they make fun of in TFA.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Cyron posted:

My worried with the firewatch review and the news of the force awakens Mr. Plankett review I am worried that RLM is sliding down the MRA path. but that depends on what they make fun of in TFA.

Mike writes the Plinkett reviews and he loved TFA. And he's just as quick to make fun of Max Landis's sexism as he is to poke fun at legit SJWs (not just people who are sensible/respectful/moderately left). I don't think there's anything to worry about.

And remember that Mike is a loving Golem who seems totally uninvested with human squabbles and focuses all of his energies on film.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Beefstew posted:

And remember that Mike is a loving Golem who seems totally uninvested with human squabbles and focuses all of his energies on film.

Seeing Mike genuinely laugh is still surreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQlPr3hxXuA&t=220s

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I wanted this to be preserved ever since the Deadpool review went up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cyron posted:

It'll probably be a more refined version of the Half in the Bag review; it rehashed A New Hope a little too much and played things a little too safe because JJ Abrams had the spectre of the prequels in the back of his mind as he was working on TFA, but over all it was a decent film and a Good Star Wars Movie.

Honestly, knowing Mike, I wouldn't be surprised if he used the TFA "review" as an excuse to further poo poo on the prequels using TFA as a bludgeon. And that would be loving great :allears:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Honestly, knowing Mike, I wouldn't be surprised if he used the TFA "review" as an excuse to further poo poo on the prequels using TFA as a bludgeon. And that would be loving great :allears:

That's what the preview seemed to imply.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

nine-gear crow posted:

It'll probably be a more refined version of the Half in the Bag review; it rehashed A New Hope a little too much and played things a little too safe because JJ Abrams had the spectre of the prequels in the back of his mind as he was working on TFA, but over all it was a decent film and a Good Star Wars Movie.

I would love if it turn out TFA review is just him saying someone did star wars right and poo poo all over this new fad of liking the prequels and defending Lucas. it will throw off a ton of people, even if he point out a few flaws with the film.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 10, 2016

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Reminder that TFA made Mike smile on camera.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
While I don't really expect it, I'd love it if Mike went all self-indulgent on this and kept confusing the movie with JJ Star Treks.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

While I don't really expect it, I'd love it if Mike went all self-indulgent on this and kept confusing the movie with JJ Star Treks.

I hope this is a fake out and he's actually reviewing Ishtar.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

nine-gear crow posted:

I want to say "probably not", but then again Lowe's signature work is the Leisure Suit Larry series, which is kind of an inherently misogynistic set of games based on their portrayal of women. Lowe's Twitter feed is also a stream of nothing but innocuous yet highly sexist dad jokes, so make of it what you will.

I will argue "not", because Leisure Suit Larry did have a following of female fans (in the design document for LSL7 lthere's a bullet in the design goals that states that women made up 25% of past sales. ) That's not to say that the series had some jokes that were in bad taste, but for the most part, I think there was an intent to make something everyone could enjoy.

Here's a pretty good write-up about the series for anyone's who interested.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The games also went out of their way to paint Larry as the ultimate loser, so I think it's mostly the case of racy dad jokes.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Cyron posted:

Pretty sure the arc will be Plinkett wanting to nitpick and find everything wrong with it, only to discover the movie's serviceable. As much as I wince at some of the things they say, there's a long way to slide from that to MRA thought.

Beefstew posted:

I hope this is a fake out and he's actually reviewing Ishtar.

Although I now want this to be true.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jordan put out a Twitlonger about my latest video:

In it, he takes pains to point out my video came out a little later than the whole ordeal itself (thereby making it unethical somehow), throws out a needless reference to David Lynch to show off how smart he is, plugs his review of a Dream Theater album, admits he has no idea whether Disney was a fascist or not because he hasn't looked into it, and gets my name wrong.

Which isn't a big deal, except that I have no idea why anyone would think my name is Chris, and now I am going crazy trying to figure it out. He was sure enough that he used it ten times. He must have got my name from whatever place he gets the rest of his facts.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Hbomberguy posted:

Jordan put out a Twitlonger about my latest video:

In it, he takes pains to point out my video came out a little later than the whole ordeal itself (thereby making it unethical somehow), throws out a needless reference to David Lynch to show off how smart he is, plugs his review of a Dream Theater album, admits he has no idea whether Disney was a fascist or not because he hasn't looked into it, and gets my name wrong.

Which isn't a big deal, except that I have no idea why anyone would think my name is Chris, and now I am going crazy trying to figure it out. He was sure enough that he used it ten times. He must have got my name from whatever place he gets the rest of his facts.

He also realizes he's several kinds of a loser and dork, as well as admitting that he's ruined himself professionally.

While I did enjoy your vid, I think it might be time to just leave the guy alone to wallow in his ruined life.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The poop...touched you.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Archer666 posted:

While I did enjoy your vid, I think it might be time to just leave the guy alone to wallow in his ruined life.
I totally agree. It would be wrong of me to continue to rag on him just because the original MR video was so popular. I felt a need to address the Sierra debacle, but I have high hopes for the Jordan of the future.

His video about That Dragon, Cancer threw out a reference to Mishima, A Life In Four Chapters, the same film I got major vibes from when I played that game myself. He's a genuinely smart person (or at least, smarter than me) who happens to be supporting bad economic theories and throwing his lot in with the 'it's technically my right to be an obnoxious, repulsive shitemonger, here's an image edit of batgirl naked and with the batman logo carved into her tits' crowd.

But in 2009 I was a member of that crowd. Everyone can get better. Even me. And I'm an idiot baby. Although to be fair I was, what, 17? Slightly over half Jordan's age now? Whatever. Age doesn't matter. It can happen and it's good.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 10, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm just gonna say about the Disney part that Walt's racist beliefs were fairly typical for the time (especially for a big businessman) and there's been suggestions towards the fact that he mellowed out over the years. I feel that the whole "Walt was a racist rear end in a top hat" thing is played up just a bit in the interest of iconoclasm, and also that it's very easy to call someone a racist piece of poo poo when they lived and died decades ago because everyone was a racist piece of poo poo back then by today's standards. I'm not by any means saying that old racism was okay, but you need to look at it with a bit more perspective.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cyron posted:

I would love if it turn out TFA review is just him saying someone did star wars right and poo poo all over this new fad of liking the prequels and defending Lucas. it will throw off a ton of people, even if he point out a few flaws with the film.

I hope not, because that would be boring and stupid.

As fun as TFA was, it didn't get Star Wars "right", whatever that means.

Edit: Bad wording cause I just got up. What I mean is, TFA is actually quite the radical departure for Star Wars in a lot of ways. It's really not like either the OT or PT. Any video that didn't acknowledge these differences and instead said "It's just like the OT" would be terrible and show a complete lack of understanding of movies.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 10, 2016

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
*a lone tumbleweed rolls by in the distance*

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Terrible Star Wars argument inbound. Deploying countermeasures:

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/707798278943932417

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
:rolleyes:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Red Letter Media is the only time someone can talk about Star Wars and not make me want to zone out immediately.

I too would hope they just use it as a platform to address the re-re-revisionism of the prequels. I thought RLM settled it already and we all moved on. But nope... Star Wars fans gonna be Star Wars fans.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Cyron posted:

I don't think any of those things have anything to do with each other at all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

I totally agree. It would be wrong of me to continue to rag on him just because the original MR video was so popular. I felt a need to address the Sierra debacle, but I have high hopes for the Jordan of the future.

His video about That Dragon, Cancer threw out a reference to Mishima, A Life In Four Chapters, the same film I got major vibes from when I played that game myself. He's a genuinely smart person (or at least, smarter than me) who happens to be supporting bad economic theories and throwing his lot in with the 'it's technically my right to be an obnoxious, repulsive shitemonger, here's an image edit of batgirl naked and with the batman logo carved into her tits' crowd.

But in 2009 I was a member of that crowd. Everyone can get better. Even me. And I'm an idiot baby. Although to be fair I was, what, 17? Slightly over half Jordan's age now? Whatever. Age doesn't matter. It can happen and it's good.

He also says the problem with his anti-Anita Sarkeesian video was that 8 people attended the premiere and that embarrassed him, and that it was unfair that nobody at Sierra wanted to talk to him because of his previous bad behavior. He has some growing up to do before his 40th birthday if he wants a clean slate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, he's still a huge piece of poo poo

quote:

I'm not going to pretend that Brianna Wu actually got bomb threats that forced her to leave her home when she was caught red-handed doing interviews from her home office and claiming she was somewhere else- especially after she claimed to be in touch with a District Attorney that later denied having ever heard from her or anyone connected to her. I'm not going to pretend that Melody Hinsley was actually suffering from PTSD. I'm not going to pretend that Zoe Quinn doesn't have a very thorough and well documented history of spinning wildly histrionic yarns when those she has hurt attempt to hold her to account.

I say this because I feel like every so often someone on the SJW/GamerGhazi side of all this will reach out to me and, earnestly and sincerely, say something to the effect of "you seem like a really decent guy, I just wish you could acknowledge x,y and z." I would like to think that such an olive branch comes from a good place in their hearts, but it leaves me feeling like Captain Picard shouting "THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!"

So no, Chris. I'm not going to have my good name held hostage by virtual signalers. I don't need to wear a good guy badge. Sarkeesian, Park, Wu, Quinn and the rest of the crybully sleaze bags are still crybully sleaze bags and I won't lie and say that they aren't.

Like, I'm not sure why him being a piece of poo poo that's aware enough of what a shitshow his life is changes things honestly. He acknowledges his life sucks but he also seems to think in these exchanges he's actually the victim.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I used to think that Jordan Owen (Almost wrote his name as JO for short, that coulda been an awkward mixup :v:) was not a great guy but somewhat misguided at worst but he's really kinda showing himself as a massive dickbag now.

Edit: I think that it was earlier in this thread that someone used the perfect term for Anita and described her as seeming like a "load-bearing feminist" to people like Jordan and Aurini. That if somehow they took her down that suddenly all of feminimsm in videogames would suddenly disappear and go back to the good ol' days or whatever. Like at this point she's even branching away from videogames and people STILL can't give it a loving rest.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 10, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Augus posted:

I'm just gonna say about the Disney part that Walt's racist beliefs were fairly typical for the time (especially for a big businessman) and there's been suggestions towards the fact that he mellowed out over the years. I feel that the whole "Walt was a racist rear end in a top hat" thing is played up just a bit in the interest of iconoclasm, and also that it's very easy to call someone a racist piece of poo poo when they lived and died decades ago because everyone was a racist piece of poo poo back then by today's standards. I'm not by any means saying that old racism was okay, but you need to look at it with a bit more perspective.

Now Charles Lindbergh, there was a nazi stooge who doesn't get nearly as much attention paid to his stoogedom as he should.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Now Charles Lindbergh, there was a nazi stooge who doesn't get nearly as much attention paid to his stoogedom as he should.

Yea Disney was a guy who probably did have some views that were not cool by his own time's standards but considering the many Jewish employees and friends he had who've come out to say 'woah hold up Walt wasn't a fuckin saint but nah he was super not as bad as some people want to say he was' I'm willing to believe most of it is a case of him just being kinda an averagely racist dude for the time.

Lindbergh, though, actual factual Nazi supporter.

Actual words Charles Lindbergh spoke posted:

Our bond with Europe is one of race and not of political ideology,"

I mean FDR pretty much straight up said 'that motherfucker is a Nazi I don't care how many times he says he's not a fan of Hitler'.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm just going to post the Wikipedia subsection on Walt Disney's accusations of racism. Not suggesting that this is absolutely definitive or free of bias, but it actually cites some sources instead of just thirdhand recounts of forum posts:

quote:

Disney was long rumored to be antisemitic, beginning in 1938 when he welcomed German filmmaker and Nazi propagandist Leni Riefenstahl to Hollywood to promote her film Olympia.[184] Even after news of Kristallnacht reached America, Disney—unlike other studio heads—did not retract his invitation. In addition, animator Art Babbitt claimed to have seen Disney and his lawyer, Gunther Lessing, attending meetings of the German American Bund, a pro-Nazi organization, during the late 1930s.[185]

Animator and director David Swift, who was Jewish, told a biographer that when he informed Disney that he was leaving to take a job at Columbia Pictures in 1941, Disney responded—in a feigned Yiddish accent—"Okay, Davy boy, off you go to work for those Jews. It's where you belong, with those Jews."[186] Swift returned to Disney Studios in 1945, however, and later said that he "owed everything" to Disney. When he left the studio a second time in the early 1950s, Disney reportedly told him that "there is still a candle burning in the window if you ever want to come back".[187]

Disney biographer Neal Gabler, the first writer to gain unrestricted access to the Disney archives, concluded in 2006 that available evidence did not support accusations of antisemitism. In a CBS interview, Gabler summarized his findings:

That's one of the questions everybody asks me ... My answer to that is, not in the conventional sense that we think of someone as being an antisemite. But he got the reputation because, in the 1940s, he got himself allied with a group called the Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals, which was an anti-Communist and antisemitic organization. And though Walt himself, in my estimation, was not antisemitic, nevertheless, he willingly allied himself with people who were antisemitic, and that reputation stuck. He was never really able to expunge it throughout his life.[188]

Disney eventually distanced himself from the Motion Picture Alliance in the 1950s.[189] Gabler wrote that three months after Riefenstahl's visit, Disney disavowed it, claiming that he did not know who she was when he issued the invitation.[190] Gabler also questioned Babbitt's story, on grounds that Disney had no time for political meetings, and was "something of a political naïf" during the 1930s.[185]

The Walt Disney Family Museum acknowledges that Disney did have "difficult relationships" with some Jewish individuals, including Babbitt and David Hilberman; and that ethnic stereotypes common to films of the 1930s were included in some early cartoons, such as Three Little Pigs (in which the Big Bad Wolf comes to the door dressed as a Jewish peddler) and The Opry House (in which Mickey Mouse is dressed and dances as a Hasidic Jew); but both Gabler and the museum point out that he donated regularly to Jewish charities (the Hebrew Orphan Asylum, Yeshiva College, the Jewish Home for the Aged, and the American League for a Free Palestine), and was named "1955 Man of the Year" by the B'nai B'rith chapter in Beverly Hills.[186][191] Artist and story man Joe Grant noted that "some of the most influential people at the studio were Jewish"—including himself, production manager Harry Tytle, and Herman "Kay" Kamen, the head of marketing, who once joked that Disney's New York office "had more Jews than the Book of Leviticus".[192] Songwriter Robert B. Sherman asserted in his autobiography that he saw no evidence of antisemitism during his seven years of close work with Disney;[193] and according to Gabler, none of Disney's employees—including Babbitt, who disliked Disney intensely—ever accused him of making antisemitic slurs or taunts.[187]

Disney has also been accused of racism, largely because of a number of productions released during the 1930s, '40s, and '50s containing racially insensitive material. Examples include Mickey's Mellerdrammer, in which Mickey Mouse dresses in blackface; the "black" bird in the short Who Killed Cock Robin; Sunflower, the half donkey/half black centaurette with a watermelon in Fantasia; the feature film Song of the South; the American Indians in Peter Pan; and the crows in Dumbo (although the case has been made that the crows were sympathetic to Dumbo because they knew what it was like to be ostracized).[194]

In spite of this, "Walt Disney was no racist," Gabler wrote. "He never, either publicly or privately, made disparaging remarks about blacks or asserted white superiority. Like most white Americans of his generation, however, he was racially insensitive." For example, during a story meeting on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs he referred to the dwarfs piling on top of each other as a "friend of the family pile", and while casting Song of the South he used the term "pickaninny".[194] Song of the South was roundly criticized by film critics, the NAACP, and others for its perpetuation of black stereotypes; but Disney later campaigned successfully for an Honorary Academy Award for its star, James Baskett, the first African American so honored.[195] Baskett died shortly afterward, and his widow wrote Disney a heartfelt letter of gratitude for his support.[196] Black animator Floyd Norman, who worked for Disney during the 1950s and '60s, said, "Not once did I observe a hint of the racist behavior that Walt Disney was often accused of after his death. His treatment of people—and by this I mean all people—can only be called exemplary."[197]

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

The 'noted racist' thing was probably a little much of me. I wrote a long response to someone else making that point on Reddit but the short version is 'I think the early Disney films have a weirdly-fascist underbelly to them, but there we go'.
It was a little quip riffing on the popcultural image of Walt for a joke and if it wasn't accurate, there we go.

Scar is still the hero of the Lion King tho. Dude sees a fakey-fake happy 'circle of life' Disney utopia and decides to destroy it. I like that guy.

Tracula posted:

Edit: I think that it was earlier in this thread that someone used the perfect term for Anita and described her as seeming like a "load-bearing feminist" to people like Jordan and Aurini.
I think that was me, although I'm sure other people probably came up with it independently before me.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hbomberguy posted:

The 'noted racist' thing was probably a little much of me. I wrote a long response to someone else making that point on Reddit but the short version is 'I think the early Disney films have a weirdly-fascist underbelly to them, but there we go'.

I think you found the topic for your next video because I wanna hear more in this.

Also, you may like Zootopia. The base of the movie is that A: The city promoted as a Utopia has a lot of race problems, and B: Your work ethic doesn't matter for the most part, you only get opportunities based on what people think of you.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

On the lighter side of things (not-racism, not-GG discussion) here's Phelous playing with his toys from 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8SBE-NI9Jk

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I agree that early Disney movies have that weird fascist undertone to them, if you look at America from that era in general it has a weird fascist undertone to it. What was that quote by Hitler again? Oh yeah, "The great strength of the totalitarian state is that it forces those who fear it to imitate it."

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, you may like Zootopia. The base of the movie is that A: The city promoted as a Utopia has a lot of race problems, and B: Your work ethic doesn't matter for the most part, you only get opportunities based on what people think of you.

I should probably see this movie, it's gotten great reception all around.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm guessing that plinkett's tfa review will follow the same pattern as his Abrams trek review. Not afraid to poke fun at it but also explaining why it works. In fact tfa and Abrams trek have a lot in common, mainly in the SUPERCHARGED characters department

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Augus posted:

I agree that early Disney movies have that weird fascist undertone to them, if you look at America from that era in general it has a weird fascist undertone to it. What was that quote by Hitler again? Oh yeah, "The great strength of the totalitarian state is that it forces those who fear it to imitate it."
How on earth do you get fascist undertones from Dumbo and Bambi?

• Locked thread