Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

Some chucklefuck decided most of the interior bits on my car need to be attached with screws with a 7mm head. :fuckoff:

Nah, that's 9/32". :P
GM does that with every interior. Ford, too, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

veedubfreak posted:

Gotta keep a 32mm around too for the gland nut and the axle bolts. One thing I always thought was nifty was on stuff where you have to use 2 wrenches, VW was nice enough to make the bolt and nut 2 different sizes, so as to not require you to have 2 17mm or 19mm wrenches.

That's loving infuriating because when you bump into one of those with your ratchet and it doesn't fit over the fastener, you always grab the wrong loving spanner and have to make two trips. Or you stick your ratchet on it, work out its 19mm, go get a 19 to match it on the other side and it doesn't loving fit!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ferremit posted:

That's loving infuriating because when you bump into one of those with your ratchet and it doesn't fit over the fastener, you always grab the wrong loving spanner and have to make two trips. Or you stick your ratchet on it, work out its 19mm, go get a 19 to match it on the other side and it doesn't loving fit!

This. I have plenty of sockets and matching wrenches. Do they think that I'm going to use two wrenches on it or something?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

EightBit posted:

This. I have plenty of sockets and matching wrenches. Do they think that I'm going to use two wrenches on it or something?

Well, back in the 50s and 60s, yes, you probably did use 2 wrenches.

Remember, the bug was designed in the 30s and basically only made tiny changes to asthetics for the next 40 years.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

veedubfreak posted:

Well, back in the 50s and 60s, yes, you probably did use 2 wrenches.

Remember, the bug was designed in the 30s and basically only made tiny changes to asthetics for the next 40 years.

that's why I think beetle are a great car for learning the basics of mechanical work. They're simple enough but still have maintenance items That are still mostly found in modern cars.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Veeb0rg posted:

that's why I think beetle are a great car for learning the basics of mechanical work. They're simple enough but still have maintenance items That are still mostly found in modern cars.

Yup, why I taught my son wrenching by rebuilding a '68 when he was 15. Still have that car, seven years on.

He's the only one in his age group that knows how to adjust valve timing and points.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a pretty bad condition '68, it doesn't even have a body anymore.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

That's a pretty bad condition '68, it doesn't even have a body anymore.

You underestimate "period correct" restoration effort.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Ferremit posted:

Is it normal to only have 1 of each size of wrench? What if you lose/break one? I have at least two of every wrench in my tool box, up to 24mm and 1 1/8". More if you count the stubby wrenches, the wrenches I've hacked into stubbies, the gear wrenches, the stubby gear wrenches.

I second that it pisses me off when the bolt and the nut take different size wrenches.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

EKDS5k posted:

I second that it pisses me off when the bolt and the nut take different size wrenches.

When you install some Whiteline parts (thinking endlinks here), not only do they change the OEM hardware out for different head sizes, but they also often don't have a matching nut and bolt.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Thats another thing that pisses me off- We've been a metric country since 1971, WHY DO ALL THE HARDWARE STORES STILL SELL AF loving HARDWARE???

I dont WANT a 1/2" bolt, I want an M12 bolt, Because an M12 bolt will fit through a 12mm hole in a board neatly, a 1/2" you need to hammer the loving thing through.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Thats another thing that pisses me off- We've been a metric country since 1971, WHY DO ALL THE HARDWARE STORES STILL SELL AF loving HARDWARE???

Because you dumb fucks insisted on making metric cars with an entirely imperial engine right up till 2000 and it's your national treasure brand :australia:

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Ferremit posted:

I dont WANT a 1/2" bolt, I want an M12 bolt, Because an M12 bolt will fit through a 12mm hole in a board neatly, a 1/2" you need to hammer the loving thing through.

Look on the bright side, they could be selling Metric, AF and Whitworth.

We have a Ford tractor that they built with a Jap engine. It's great fun to work on, as everything on the engine is metric, and everything else is AF.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm sitting here imagining "AF" stands for "American Fuckery" and I'm not sure I want to be corrected :laugh:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

homebrew posted:

THEY DO!

I had to buy some fixings for a table for work the other day- coarse timber thread one end, standard thread the other end- you use them to fix legs to tables and the like.

Thread was 5/16" WHITWORTH

Slavvy posted:

Because you dumb fucks insisted on making metric cars with an entirely imperial engine right up till 2000 and it's your national treasure brand :australia:

I was going to say that most people dont shop for fastners for their cars at bunnings, but considering your average VN commodore owner, they probably have cheese grade zenith galv coachbolts holding suspension components in...

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Ferremit posted:

THEY DO!

I had to buy some fixings for a table for work the other day- coarse timber thread one end, standard thread the other end- you use them to fix legs to tables and the like.

Thread was 5/16" WHITWORTH

I was going to say that most people dont shop for fastners for their cars at bunnings, but considering your average VN commodore owner, they probably have cheese grade zenith galv coachbolts holding suspension components in...

Hey, I got some M6 cap screws at Bunnings for mounting some sensors with and they're metric grade 10.9 :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EKDS5k posted:

Is it normal to only have 1 of each size of wrench? What if you lose/break one? I have at least two of every wrench in my tool box, up to 24mm and 1 1/8". More if you count the stubby wrenches, the wrenches I've hacked into stubbies, the gear wrenches, the stubby gear wrenches.

In all likelihood, the Beetle was designed with roadside repair in mind. It's awesome that you have twelve 17mm wrenches in your garage, less awesome when you only have one in the toolkit in your frunk.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

homebrew posted:

We have a Ford tractor that they built with a Jap engine. It's great fun to work on, as everything on the engine is metric, and everything else is AF.

Ever work on a jeep? A 4.0L starter has one metric bolt and one SAE bolt. The metric bolt goes into the starter, the SAE bolt goes into the bellhousing of the transmission that is 100% metric fasteners because it was built by Aisin Warner.

The transfer case is 100% metric hardware internally but is bolted to the transmission (which is also 100% metric hardware) by SAE threaded studs.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Safety Dance posted:

In all likelihood, the Beetle was designed with roadside repair in mind. It's awesome that you have twelve 17mm wrenches in your garage, less awesome when you only have one in the toolkit in your frunk.

In olden times you could get this neat little guy that replaced the hubcap on your spare tire.

Also, it was super fun trying to find correct ball seat lug bolts for my Porsche alloy knockoffs. Everything is cone now, so finding ball seat in the correct size is a bitch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

Ever work on a jeep? A 4.0L starter has one metric bolt and one SAE bolt. The metric bolt goes into the starter, the SAE bolt goes into the bellhousing of the transmission that is 100% metric fasteners because it was built by Aisin Warner.

The transfer case is 100% metric hardware internally but is bolted to the transmission (which is also 100% metric hardware) by SAE threaded studs.

Working on Fords used to drive me crazy because of that kind of stuff. It was a great day when I realized my Corvette was 100% SAE, and 95% 3/8 or 1/2.

So far everything on my '12 Jeep is metric except the oil drail and battery clamps (1/2"). Most of it seems to be 10 or 13mm, except the loving oil filter which is 24mm for some reason.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Don't forget the seat belt bolts. As I understand it, the US hasn't re-written their awfully written standards on that so manufacturers have to use exactly the size SAE thread that was written back in ye olden times.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

homebrew posted:

Guess what size and thread many replacement limbs use? Motherfucking Whitworth.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Motronic posted:

Don't forget the seat belt bolts. As I understand it, the US hasn't re-written their awfully written standards on that so manufacturers have to use exactly the size SAE thread that was written back in ye olden times.

Shut your whore mouth. God's seatbelts are fastened with 7/16-20 fasteners, and he won't hear any debate on the topic. :colbert:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Savington posted:

Shut your whore mouth. God's seatbelts are fastened with 7/16-20 fasteners, and he won't hear any debate on the topic. :colbert:

God is omnipotent and omnipresent. Why would he need seatbelts?

Edit: hey Leviticus 21:17. It's right there.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 10, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Jonny Nox posted:

God is omnipotent and omnipresent. Why would he need seatbelts?

Do you have any idea how badly crashing an infinite amount of cars everywhere will gently caress you up?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

You're correct. 7/16-20 or 1/2-13 are written into federal law as seatbelt fasteners IIRC. It's somewhere in US 49 CFR 571.2xx I believe.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

kastein posted:

Can't say I have ever worked on a Jeep, but I have worked on many tractors in my time, which from what I've heard is much the same thing.....

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

kastein posted:

and what makes it even more fun is the room to only get 2-3 clicks on the ratchet. My little power ratchet makes changing starters so much faster.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

homebrew posted:

Can't say I have ever worked on a Jeep, but I have worked on many tractors in my time, which from what I've heard is much the same thing.....

I think tractors rust less.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Until you have experience with tri-wing screws, you can all quit your bitching. Nothing like a titanium #5 tri-wing with a stripped head.

:suicide:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

MrYenko posted:

Until you have experience with tri-wing screws, you can all quit your bitching. Nothing like a titanium #5 tri-wing with a stripped head.

gently caress those so much. "hey you know what would make a phillips better? one less tang and a zigzag"

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

H110Hawk posted:

Socket chat

loving lol I legit think this is that place i worked at for like a month, any more info?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

literally a fish posted:

gently caress those so much. "hey you know what would make a phillips better? one less tang and a zigzag"

"And let's make the drive bit torque out of the fastener when you turn it counterclockwise, instead of clockwise, like it loving should. Oh, and let's make it not torque out at all when you turn it clockwise; That way, any animal with a screwdriver can gently caress the fastener into another dimension, and give the next guy absolutely no options that don't involve pain and power tools."

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Or you can be Apple and use #0000 tri-wing screws that are impossible to remove without stripping them out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I still want to see someone make and use external pentalobe security torxplus on something. Not sure how the security feature would work on an external head though.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

MrYenko posted:

I guess you haven't experienced Apple's creation, the pentalobe:

Why won't this drat torx screw come out?!?!?!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Nomex posted:

There's literally nothing wrong with the pentalobe as a screw type though, not anything that isn't wrong with torx too at least. Trying to use a torx driver to get it out is an operator failure, not a mechanical one

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

literally a fish posted:

There's literally nothing wrong with the pentalobe as a screw type though, not anything that isn't wrong with torx too at least. Trying to use a torx driver to get it out is an operator failure, not a mechanical one

When I needed to fix my Iphone I just used the tip of a knife to get them in and out. :v:

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Nomex posted:

everyone's gotta be different. gently caress no, we won't use torque screws, let's make the user get yet another set of tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

I still want to see someone make and use external pentalobe security torxplus on something. Not sure how the security feature would work on an external head though.

Obviously, a miniaturized clutch that must be depressed with a keyed peg in the center of the socket to engage the shaft.