Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

oddium posted:

they both ate the gum gum fruit

If so, it's strange that Garp, Sengoku, Buggy, Shanks, Whitebeard, and Rayleigh never mentioned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also we saw early on that Roger's crew considered sacrificing the ability to swim to be a dumb idea.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pureauthor posted:

Also we saw early on that Roger's crew considered sacrificing the ability to swim to be a dumb idea.

I think Roger and his crew (except for Buggy) are like Shanks's crew: extraordinarily strong without the use of devil fruits (but probably with Haki). It is strange, though, that Oda has purposefully left out any scenes of Roger actually fighting somebody. It wasn't even until Don Chinjao's flashback in Dressrosa that we even found out that Garp can use Haki.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think Roger and his crew (except for Buggy) are like Shanks's crew: extraordinarily strong without the use of devil fruits (but probably with Haki). It is strange, though, that Oda has purposefully left out any scenes of Roger actually fighting somebody. It wasn't even until Don Chinjao's flashback in Dressrosa that we even found out that Garp can use Haki.

Hey now, Garp's been using Haki since the end of Water 7, it just didn't have the trademark black coating shorthand

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Parrotine posted:

Hey now, Garp's been using Haki since the end of Water 7, it just didn't have the trademark black coating shorthand

That's when the audience developed observation haki and could finally see it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
He also used Haki when he bitch-slapped Marco through the Marineford downtown.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why would he need haki to hit a Logia.

Besides, the dude can hit Luffy so we knew he had Haki before the timeskip.

Nami could him him too but that was for comedic purposes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

oddium posted:

they both ate the gum gum fruit

No, that's a bad fan translation. Don't trust speed translations.

Roger actually really liked fruit gum.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Gyges posted:

No, that's a bad fan translation. Don't trust speed translations.

Roger actually really liked fruit gum.

specifically Juicy Fruit.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crazyeyes posted:

He also used Haki when he bitch-slapped Marco through the Marineford downtown.

I just double checked this. Garp hits Marco, but it doesn't show him using Haki. The first time we see it visually with Garp is with the Don Chinjao's flashback, it's very purposefully shown that way as a reveal.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Are you sure that's not just because we never see Color of Armament until the timeskip?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I mean, everyone and their dog uses Black Armor Haki, now, even Smoker.

So even if Oda hadn't shown us that chapter most readers would probably have assumed Garp could do it as well.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Advice posted:

Are you sure that's not just because we never see Color of Armament until the timeskip?

That is true, and Marco has logia-esque abilities in phoenix form that Garp would only hit using Haki. Either way, it's still significant that that flashback confirms Garp's use of Haki.

Anyways, on a different note (more reliable this time!):

(Spoilers)

Jack is back at Zou. :getin:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Obviously everyone in the war is using haki to hit logias. We see people's bodies turn black post-timeskip to emphasize the strawhats are using this new technique. It'd be pretty lame if Luffy punches looked exactly the same after his grueling 2 years of training.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sub Harrison posted:

Obviously everyone in the war is using haki to hit logias. We see people's bodies turn black post-timeskip to emphasize the strawhats are using this new technique. It'd be pretty lame if Luffy punches looked exactly the same after his grueling 2 years of training.

It's fine in the manga. The anime "pew pew DBZ super saiyan" visuals and sound effects are a bit much, though (looking at you, Zoro).

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's fine in the manga. The anime "pew pew DBZ super saiyan" visuals and sound effects are a bit much, though (looking at you, Zoro).

I'd argue the effects they did for Lao G's fight are much worse.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Garp doesn't use Haki to punch Luffy, he uses his Love. I believe this is a fact straight from an SBS.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

(Spoilers)

Called it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So I guess we're gonna be here another twenty weeks then?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I wanna see the Wano dudes get a good fight.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Shoren posted:

We don't know for certain that the poneglyphs are the only source of information for the world's ancient history, but for conversation's sake I'll concede that Robin's dream essentially boils down to reading all the poneglyphs. But again, Robin is necessary because even if Luffy could "read" the poneglyphs that still doesn't mean that A) he would understand them, B) he would care what they're saying, C) he would accurately convey the information to his crew, and D) someone in his crew could understand the overarching importance of them.

Pretty much. There is a reason why Roger had the guy from Wano with him when even though he could "read" the poneglyphs. He could tell you where Raftel was by looking at them and the jist of the message that survived the Blank Century, but only Robin would care and contextualize why it's actually important.

More importantly, it going to make more narrative and thematic sense when he reaches there, reads their message, and if the story continues from there...motivates him on a personal level. Luffy just isn't being read a textbook by Robin, he gets a direct message from the past with Robin there to explain how important it was.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

(Spoilers)

Dude is going to get wrecked.

Kind of hope we get a Straw Hat team up that treats him like Oars.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I just double checked this. Garp hits Marco, but it doesn't show him using Haki. The first time we see it visually with Garp is with the Don Chinjao's flashback, it's very purposefully shown that way as a reveal.

It was stated back on sabaody that all marines above a certain rank use haki so it was confirmed at that point.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

(Spoilers)

Excellent.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Gyges posted:

Dude is going to get wrecked.

Kind of hope we get a Straw Hat team up that treats him like Oars.

I wonder if they'll bring another Ceasar doomsday device. Might have to be a solo fight for Luffy since he's the only one immune to poison.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Chapter 819

http://readms.com/r/one_piece/819/3285/1

It's a good one

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Chapter 819

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Even in a chapter entirely dedicated to the Samurai, the Minks are still the best characters.

"You're just a big softie, aren't you... *sniff*

"SHUT UP."

bondster
May 6, 2007

Clearly this is gonna lead to Luffy defending Zou from Jack, and in the process befriending it.....

Proceed to using Zou to perform the Greatest Wedding Crash Ever

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
loving love Nami reassuring Zoro that he's better than Sanji. :3:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

davidHalestorm posted:

loving love Nami reassuring Zoro that he's better than Sanji. :3:

I think it was more patronizing than anything, like "Yes, yes, dummy, you're stronger than Sanji, congrats."

Still hilarious though.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Well, we know which Emperor is going to get a Luffy all up in their business first now.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Been a while since we've last seen Nami's Berri eyes.
Also does this mean we get more Cat Viper? They could dick around on Zou for another 5 years for all I care, that dude is amazing!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think it was more patronizing than anything, like "Yes, yes, dummy, you're stronger than Sanji, congrats."

Still hilarious though.

My fiancé does that to me alot. Oh no :(

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Still hilarious though.

Like all things in his life such as lifting weights and drinking booze, Zoro takes his rivarly serious even if no one else does. He won't relinquish his status as biggest badass of the Straw Hat Pirates lying down.

Also, I just noticed, but Raizou's eyebrows are shaped like lightning bolts to tie in with his name.

Also also, I like that Law threw his hand in when the alliance was announced, even if he still completely disagrees with Luffy's definition of an alliance.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
You guy are ignoring the best part:

Kanjuuro joining Franky in the SUUUUUPER pose! :haw:

Also, alliance fist bump for the win!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ok, Jack was a jerk before but killing the elephant is just a giant dick move. Really looking forward to that face punch.

Nice touch on who yells that the Ninja is absolutely necessary.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Have we seen Futuristic Island Post Time Skip before?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's where Franky got paw pawed to by Kuma.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

There might have been a brief flashback to it when they all met up at the Sunny, but definitely not much of it.

I think my favourite part of this chapter is Law's desperate attempt to show he's still a leader in the 'alliance' and is not completely caught up in Luffy's momentum just like everyone else, when it's obvious he totally is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gyges posted:

Ok, Jack was a jerk before but killing the elephant is just a giant dick move. Really looking forward to that face punch.

Nice touch on who yells that the Ninja is absolutely necessary.

I'm looking forward to the Straw Hats whaling on him this time around. :haw:

...I'm sorry.