Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I've had no issues with freezes or crashing during the actual play, but trying to quit the game crashes the computer pretty hard nine times out of ten. Apparently not the only one with this issue, going by the official forums.

Otherwise, I've been having good fun with this. Titan Quest was a favourite for me, and this scratches the same itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I ran a Occultist/Demolitionist to 19 and got bored with it because all my main attacks did piddly damage but my hell hound was slaughtering everything so I was mostly just back up.

Made a shaman and at level 6 primal strike is doing the same damage as the hell hound was maxed. Guess I'm just gonna shelve the pyromancer for good.

Otherwise, this game is awesome so far.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
So, About the outcast witch. I did some testing and have figured out the best order for her.

Keep alive(normal)> Keep alive(epic)>keep alive/don't talk to her(ult). Keep her alive if you don't have arcanist as one of your classes. She drops a really good arcanist helmet that only she has, but the rest of her drops are normal nemesis chest loot.
If your an arcanist, Don't talk to her in ultimate. You can still buy stuff from her vendor, So she can sit there for a while you buy a bunch of augments. When you get enough, Betray the witch.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

ssmagus posted:

So, About the outcast witch. I did some testing and have figured out the best order for her.

Keep alive(normal)> Keep alive(epic)>keep alive/don't talk to her(ult). Keep her alive if you don't have arcanist as one of your classes. She drops a really good arcanist helmet that only she has, but the rest of her drops are normal nemesis chest loot.
If your an arcanist, Don't talk to her in ultimate. You can still buy stuff from her vendor, So she can sit there for a while you buy a bunch of augments. When you get enough, Betray the witch.

I'm glad we talked about it last night. I had a feeling we wouldn't get the good unique drops on normal/veteran. Thanks for looking into it.

Another thing I should point out to the thread (and correct me if I'm wrong, ssmagus): If you decide to betray the witch, in order for her to spawn as a nemesis, you have you have to run through her dungeon and kill her a bunch to build up enough negative rep. I think we worked out the math to it being about 50+ times.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lunsku posted:

I've had no issues with freezes or crashing during the actual play, but trying to quit the game crashes the computer pretty hard nine times out of ten. Apparently not the only one with this issue, going by the official forums.

I sometimes have crashes on exit if I exit to desktop from the character, but I've found that if I exit to main menu, and then exit the game from the main menu, it doesn't happen at all. If you haven't tried it, see if that works for you also.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Leper Residue posted:

I ran a Occultist/Demolitionist to 19 and got bored with it because all my main attacks did piddly damage but my hell hound was slaughtering everything so I was mostly just back up.

Made a shaman and at level 6 primal strike is doing the same damage as the hell hound was maxed. Guess I'm just gonna shelve the pyromancer for good.

Otherwise, this game is awesome so far.

Huh, I actually love my Pyromancer even more now. Running without pets ATM. Really only took the Witchblade line and blood of dreeg from occultist so far. I'm rocking a ranged weapon build, with both Fire Strike and Explosive Strike maxed you're looking at 150% weapon damage on every attack, which scales really well with the flat damage bonuses from Flametouched and Solael's Witchfire/Second Rite, plus all the other bonuses you tack onto fire strike with physical and lightning procs and flat chaos damage from Explosive/Static/Brimstone.

I got this character to 50 really fast 2-3 builds ago, and now that Witchfire has up to 15% attack speed and Vindictive Flame up to 15% total speed bonus, I'm just making GBS threads out damage.

The aoe from explosive strike/brimstone shards sweep away trash and the flat resist reduction from Blackwater Cocktail's agonizing flame is really good for anything a little tougher. I just blew away the Herald of Flame the fastest I ever did on normal mode with any character. My gun does massive damage :hellyeah:

The flat vitality damage from Second Rite and acid damage from blood of dreeg isn't really supported by much of the build, but scales with the high weapon damage of my attacks and do benefit from spirit, so hey, bonus. Blood of Dreeg is a decent regen buff and I'm not complaining about extra damage either, although it seems really very optional. Of course, defensive options are limited for a Pyromancer that doesn't want to go 32-50 points into Occultist for armor of the guardian and possession.

Now I'm just hoping I can get tough enough for the higher difficulties. I've mapped out a devotion path that gets me good resists vs everything but aether, plus the heals from Behemoth/Chariot, and later tree of life, while still grabbing the excellent Eldritch Fire proc from the witchblade constellation.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 10, 2016

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Welp after farming a bunch of SoT I finally rushed through the story and beat Log with my Witch Hunter. Leveled mainly as acid/poison but once I had a lot of skillpoints and was able to equip the high level gear I had stashed it made more sense to focus on chaos/vitality.

I have a feeling some of the other Nightblade classes might be a bit stronger overall, but Witch Hunter is definitely viable for everything in the game once geared up.

Heres my stats with Abominable Might up, p good dps lol:

Without Abom my dps is like 38k.

TBH it feels like more effort to farm with this char than my Druid, but I used my druids relic to make this one and stole a bunch of his gear sooo I guess i"ll just stick with the Witch Hunter.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

ssmagus posted:

The Outcast Hood is definitely a nice piece http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/6583-Outcast's-Hood. I'll have to farm that when my battlemage gets to ultimate.

Thanks for the tip; had no idea that caster armor was available. I just assumed to always keep her around because her vendor's augments are awesome. Better save up some iron bits!

Maggot Soup fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 10, 2016

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
I've had this game for ages, but aside from messing around with it a few times I always kind of wanted to wait for release to actually play it. Now that I have, I'm running into the same issues I had with Titan Quest. It feels like you have to spend most of your levels early on pouring points into the actual masteries themselves, avoiding putting more than 1 point into abilities. Am I doing that part wrong? Should I be pumping abilities?

On top of that, I'm having trouble finding out which playstyle suits me and have had far too many remakes. In TQ I played a DW (Warrior?) with Dream, and in D3 I played both Witch Doctor and Demon Hunter. Anyone have recommendations based on that? I realise they're kind of differing playstyles, but maybe someone was similar.

Anyways, personal issues aside it feels like Titan Quest, which I loved, and I really like all the choice when I'm not paralyzed by it. As far as I can tell the really annoying rubber banding that the engine used to have is missing too, so that's a big plus.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Basically if your abilities are doing their jobs (killing poo poo/protecting you), don't worry about leveling them. Once you feel like they're starting to fade, look at raising their base level and/or augments as necessary.

You want to raise your mastery(ies) enough to use whatever final set of abilities you ultimately want for your build, but you can stop to raise individual abilities as needed.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Man, Blademaster is really effective at killing things and not dying but it sure is boring as hell. Rolled up a Warlock last night to mess around with an Aether Ray/Possession chaos build with pet support and it seems like its going to be a lot more interesting, though energy is going to be a huge issue for a long time. I guess constellations will be able to help out with that?

Apocopriest
Apr 18, 2008
Putting Ectoplasm in your jewelry will help a ton if you have energy issues.

Melum
Oct 14, 2012
I have 2 37s if anyone would like to do mp. I also have a teens warder and could make a new character if anyone wants to start from scratch but I hate Act 1 so very much.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

Melum posted:

I have 2 37s if anyone would like to do mp. I also have a teens warder and could make a new character if anyone wants to start from scratch but I hate Act 1 so very much.

I just started and my only character is at level 39 (following Dahbadu's Soldier/Demo build on the first page). What times do you normally play? Times probably won't work as they're fairly late PST and really late EST but it's worth a shot. I usually don't get to play until 9-10 PST after my 16 mo goes to bed and then I'm on for 2-3 hours on weeknights and 4-5 on weekends.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Melum posted:

I've got a 37 Arcanist. I can usually find a few hours to play on weeknights ET.

Melum
Oct 14, 2012

Cloudchaos posted:

I just started and my only character is at level 39 (following Dahbadu's Soldier/Demo build on the first page). What times do you normally play? Times probably won't work as they're fairly late PST and really late EST but it's worth a shot. I usually don't get to play until 9-10 PST after my 16 mo goes to bed and then I'm on for 2-3 hours on weeknights and 4-5 on weekends.

Mostly on evenings EST, you can message me on Discord or Steam

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Dahbadu posted:

I'm glad we talked about it last night. I had a feeling we wouldn't get the good unique drops on normal/veteran. Thanks for looking into it.

Guys on the oforum farmed her nemesis on ult around with an average of 150+ runs to get her hood to drop. So yeah, i think you can forget about farming her on anything besides ultimate.

Alternatively, you can just farm with another character that doesn't "NEED" her augments.

EDIT: been leveling a sorcerer and DEE warlock. Geez, these guys melt stuff. (Kinda cheating with the sorcerer cause i'm using Fireblast/GreaterFireblast which frees like 28 skillpoints)

madstrike fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 11, 2016

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
I'm running a dual pistol Sabateur (NB/Demo) that focuses on attack speed with pneumatic burst and fire strike. I've been using Grenado on enemy heroes (it's hard to shoot while kiting) and started using canister bombs for crowd control since I can double the usefulness of Ulzuin's Chosen.

I'm just getting to the Warden on Elite, so I'm wondering: Should I switch to Blackwater for the resistance reduction? I've currently got some - resist from Rhowan's Crown procs, but it wouldn't hurt to add more. I could also move some of the points from Chosen to pump the skill ranks.

Also: I just picked up a second Havoc on that character, so doubling the chance for attack speed boost is going to be rad.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

madstrike posted:

Guys on the oforum farmed her nemesis on ult around with an average of 150+ runs to get her hood to drop. So yeah, i think you can forget about farming her on anything besides ultimate.

Alternatively, you can just farm with another character that doesn't "NEED" her augments.

EDIT: been leveling a sorcerer and DEE warlock. Geez, these guys melt stuff. (Kinda cheating with the sorcerer cause i'm using Fireblast/GreaterFireblast which frees like 28 skillpoints)

Yeah, this is kinda where we landed at yesterday. We may help our farmer (in this case I believe ssmagus has volunteered) by joining his game to improve drop rate chances, but yeah, having easy access to the vendor on Ultimate is kinda nice.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I bought this game last March, and (apparently) started a Witchblade....made it to level 14, it looks like. I'm hopping back in now that it's released, and I'm pretty lost. I can barely remember what any of my skills do or why i chose them.

I'm considering just starting over since level 14 probably isn't too far in...is a Witchblade good, or should I just start completely from scratch?

I also seem to have lost several of my Riftgate options...

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
Witchblade can be fun, I like to build them as a tank and use Blood of Dreeg + Familiar's heals to recover HP regularly. At level 14 you have plenty of room to choose a direction.

As for rift gates, at least one in the Arkovia region got changed. That whole zone flows better with the story now.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I normally don't care about lore in games, so the whole time I've been progressing through the game on my main, a L35 Demo/Arcanist dual wield pistolier, I've been ignoring/selling all the lore scrolls I found. I accidentally right clicked on one before and got... a bunch of XP. So don't do what I did and make sure you read lore scrolls, if only for the XP.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Devorum posted:

I bought this game last March, and (apparently) started a Witchblade....made it to level 14, it looks like. I'm hopping back in now that it's released, and I'm pretty lost. I can barely remember what any of my skills do or why i chose them.

I'm considering just starting over since level 14 probably isn't too far in...is a Witchblade good, or should I just start completely from scratch?

I also seem to have lost several of my Riftgate options...

Might as well restart, you'll get back to 14 very soon and you'll actually know what you were aiming for with your build.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The level of the drops in elite difficulty is kind of frustrating. I just got a nice run of blues and even one legendary, but even if they were awesome upgrades for me, they are level required 65 or 67. I'm level 60. Come on game, 5 or 7 levels is a lot of playing at this point in the game...

I also got a nice caster off hand epic, which is a solid upgrade, but I don't have the spirit to equip it yet, but that's more due to my putting all my points into phys, and at least it's within reach, can probably get it by diverting a point into spirit at my next level, and ticking arcanist up a couple more points earlier than the plan.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Psykmoe posted:

pyromancy

I went back to this character and maxed witchfire which I didn't realize was so crazy awesome. Maxed, with Fire strike and maxed blackwater and I'm actually spec'd for burn/vitality/chaos damage I do crazy damage with my big rear end two hander.

Hell, witchfire is so good everytime I think of trying a new character I just go 'hey * would be awesome with 15% more attack speed and sigh because it's really the only thing I'm genuinely liking in the occultist tree'

What are good devotions to aim for? I have the bat and I think the thing to the left of it. Apparently Rend is good, but that's a ways off and not sure what to take to get to it.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Leper Residue posted:

I went back to this character and maxed witchfire which I didn't realize was so crazy awesome. Maxed, with Fire strike and maxed blackwater and I'm actually spec'd for burn/vitality/chaos damage I do crazy damage with my big rear end two hander.

Hell, witchfire is so good everytime I think of trying a new character I just go 'hey * would be awesome with 15% more attack speed and sigh because it's really the only thing I'm genuinely liking in the occultist tree'

What are good devotions to aim for? I have the bat and I think the thing to the left of it. Apparently Rend is good, but that's a ways off and not sure what to take to get to it.

Since Rend does bleeding damage and reduces bleed resistance, I've not considered it for my pyromancer. Frankly, I've been speccing mostly for survivability. I don't know if I did that well, but here's how I went.

Now, it's important to know that a completed constellation can support itself through its completion bonus.

So I started out with Crossroads Chaos/Red, Viper to get 2 red/3 blue, then Crossroads Eldritch/Green, Spider for 6 green, Crossroads Primordial/Blue to hit the 4 blue mark.

Then I put 3 into Behemoth to get the Giant's Blood proc. Then I put one into Crossroads Ascendant/Purple, finished up Empty Throne for 5 purple points, respeced out of purple Crossroads since Throne sustains itself.

With 6 green and 5 purple points I started Chariot of the Dead with intend to max it out to get the completion points. Completing Chariot gives 2 red/3 green, I can respec out of Crossroads Red because I get all the red I need for Behemoth from Chariot/Viper.

At this point I finish the last points in Behemoth, which also rewards 2 red/3 green. Now, both Behemoth and Chariot produce all the green to sustain themselves and I can respec out of Spider to get 5 points back.

At this point I immediately put all those points into Witchblade because Eldritch Fire is a pretty drat nice attack proc to put on Firestrike, it seems to be able to proc on whole crowds at once because of Explosive Strike AoE. But Witchblade is optional, I could have continued without it.

Next up is Crossroads Order/Yellow to get Turtle. That's where I'm at now. The final points to get turtle's proc is at the end of Act 1 Elite, if I had skipped Witchblade I would have had it at the end of Normal mode.

Once Turtle is done I could spec out of Crossroads Order immediately to get that point back, but I'll need it again later. At that point I'll just spend the rest of the character's career on scrapping together points for Tree of Life. That'll likely involve speccing out of Viper, grabbing Eel because it's 5 Blue for only 3 devotion points, Sailor's guide(gallows is an option but sailor's offers good resists and movement speed), Solemn Watcher (Panther would offer the same rewards for 1 fewer devotion but the character needs the resists/DA bonus from Watcher more), Ulo, Keeper of the Waters (weird proc, but good resists in the constellation and I do need more Order. If I specced out of it early, I'll take back Crossroads Yellow to hit those 7 yellows for Tree of Life (Turtle, Panther/Watcher, Ulo, Crossroads). That leaves me four or five points to spare (depending on the Panther/Watcher choice) to grab the proc from Tree but not quite complete the branches.

Getting Light of Empyrion would be an option since that constellation has so many resists in it, which has some appeal, but it needs 8 Order so it can't be done with 3 of the 3blue/2 yellow constellations + crossroads, so I'd have to ditch Witchblade to free up enough points for a whole other constellation somewhere to make the math fit despite needing 2 fewer blue points.

That's a devotion set heavy on self-heals. with a decent smattering of resists (regrettably no bleed resist, and any poison resist comes late) I'm not yet certain of the value of Wayward Soul since it procs on being critted, since the character needs Cunning for guns and Spirit for the damage bonuses I expect to get critted more than a character that can invest more heavily in Physique and thus get more Defense Ability.

Certainly right now in Act 1 Elite, Chariot's heal procs frequently, and I had to switch my armor components towards 2 Silk Swatches and 2 Antivenom Vials because gently caress mosquitos and gently caress heroes with poison bombs :v: Eventually I plan on having 32 in Occultist to get Armor of the Guardian, which offers physical resistance (rare) and quickly scaling poison/acid resists. That seems appealing, but I prioritized hitting 50 in Demolitionist.

Only Wayward Soul's internal cooldown goes down with level.

Since getting Chariot of the Dead does take a lot of investment (empty throne is basically just there for its smattering of resists and the 5 purple Chariot needs to unlock), skipping Chariot would free up quite a few points. I got a build written up that ditches Chariot and Witchblade but includes Manticore - the Manticore proc's acid/poison damage doesn't fit many builds, but the flat -Resists on it fits every build. Manticore has a 1 second internal cooldown, so unlike Witchblade it can't proc off an aoe to hit like 10 guys at once on a lucky Explosive Strike.

But since this Pyromancer has 4 abilities that take heal procs (Witchfire, Flametouched, Vindictive Flame, Blood of Dreeg) it's totally possible to run 3 heals and turtle shield.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 12, 2016

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I just picked this up because sometimes I want to murder things in a good ARPG. But, I feel some pretty serious information overload (as is only proper) and am having trouble deciding what I want to do. First, should I start on normal or veteran? I haven't played many modern ARPGs, but I've poured probably hundreds of hours into Median XL (D2 Mod) and not a small amount of time into torchlight 1 and 2, so while I'm no veteran, I'm not terrible at games and not completely new to the field.

Second, if I want to do a fighter/mage type character, what are some of the practical differences between spellbreaker and battlemage? Cadence looks interesting, but I've read it has issues against groups. I'm not sure which active Arcanist abilities I'd want to take to support Cadence. I'd prefer to take long range spells over close range novas, but it seems mixed ranged combat rarely works out in these games. Spellbreaker looks a little more focused, but first, Cadence looks like more fun on paper, second, dual-wielding is stupid and sword and board is cool, third, it's more focused, but that also means more difficult choices in abilities. I do prefer mobile characters to tanks in these games, though.

Are there any other fighter/mage types that I should consider? Shaman looks fun, but I'm not sure what I'd pair with it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

You can change from normal to veteran and back at will, so feel free to give it a try on veteran if you feel like normal is easy, or want more of a challenge and a bit of a better drop rate (and more random bosses to kill I think, more mob density etc.). If you crash and burn in veteran, you can just go back to normal and keep on trucking.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I just picked this up because sometimes I want to murder things in a good ARPG. But, I feel some pretty serious information overload (as is only proper) and am having trouble deciding what I want to do. First, should I start on normal or veteran? I haven't played many modern ARPGs, but I've poured probably hundreds of hours into Median XL (D2 Mod) and not a small amount of time into torchlight 1 and 2, so while I'm no veteran, I'm not terrible at games and not completely new to the field.

Second, if I want to do a fighter/mage type character, what are some of the practical differences between spellbreaker and battlemage? Cadence looks interesting, but I've read it has issues against groups. I'm not sure which active Arcanist abilities I'd want to take to support Cadence. I'd prefer to take long range spells over close range novas, but it seems mixed ranged combat rarely works out in these games. Spellbreaker looks a little more focused, but first, Cadence looks like more fun on paper, second, dual-wielding is stupid and sword and board is cool, third, it's more focused, but that also means more difficult choices in abilities. I do prefer mobile characters to tanks in these games, though.

Are there any other fighter/mage types that I should consider? Shaman looks fun, but I'm not sure what I'd pair with it.

Veteran is basically for anyone who has ever played diablo 2, or a similar game. Normal is hand holding mode for babby's first ARPG.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Heithinn Grasida posted:

You might like witchblade (soldier+occultist) as a chaos/vitality sword and board "dark knight" tanky type. It's relatively mobile once you get riftstone components in your weapon and shield. Riftstones give you chaos strike which is a hard hitter with teleport.

Mine is only level 35 so can't comment how it'll hold on top levels, but so far it's fun to play. If you decide to try it out, rush for sigil of consumption. It'll trivialize normal/veteran.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I updated the OC section in the OP:

quote:

Outcast and Black Legion factions: For most characters
http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/The_Aetherial_Witch
Outcast (OC) and Black Legion (BL) both sell good stuff. On each playthrough you can choose to kill the OC witch to gain easy BL reputation, which is one of the hardest factions to rank up. If you kill the witch, you won't have access to the OC vendor and you won't accumulate positive OC faction by slaying certain monsters. The OC questline offers good rewards but also slightly lowers your BL reputation. What I suggest (others have different opinions, so feel free to ask in the thread):
- Normal/Veteran: If you want to kill the witch (for an achievement or BL reputation gain), now's probably the best time. If you keep the witch alive, you'll get the OC questline and start accumulating OC reputation by killing monsters.
- Elite: I would keep her alive. If you kept her alive on Normal/Veteran and kill her on Elite (or Ultimate, for that matter), it'll reset any reputation gain you've made -- so don't do that.
- Ultimate: Keep her alive and do the OC questline first, so you get your BL reputation penalties out of the way. Then do BL stuff to gain your reputation back, including running some bounties and killing the final boss. You'll end the game with max rep for both OC and BL and you'll have access to both vendors on Ultimate difficulty.

Outcast and Black Legion factions: If you *really* want to farm some good Arcanist gear
http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/The_Aetherial_Witch
If you kill a level 75+ nemesis version of the Outcast (aka OC, aka witch), you can get some powerful legendary items that only she drops. It is quite a pain in the rear end to do this, so I suggest not doing this on more than one character. Once you get her unique drops, you can always transfer them to another character. What I suggest:
- Normal/Veteran: Kill the witch.
- Elite: Kill the witch. Progress through the rest of Elite normally. Once you're level 75 (and probably progressing through Ultimate), go back to Elite and kill her a bunch more. First you'll have to grind up negative rep with OC by running through the jail/dungeon and killing her (where she respawns) at the end. You'll probably have to do this over 50 times to achieve Nemesis rank. Once OC is Nemesis, she'll spawn as a Nemesis boss (red nameplate) at the end of the dungeon instead of her normal self (purple nameplate). In her Nemesis form, she'll drop some unique legendary gear that's very good for an Arcanist. Now you'll have to farm her all over again to collect all of her unique drops. Because the drop chances are low, I would suggest killing her in multiplayer for the increased drop rate modifier. Note that party members won't be able to help you kill her unless they also have negative/aggressive OC rep on Elite.
- Ultimate: Don't talk to the witch on Ultimate until you've been able to farm her for all unique drops on Elite. When you're ready, choose to befriend her and that will reset your reputation to positive. Then complete the OC questline and grind up positive rep (by doing bounties, etc.) so you're Revered with her and can purchase all the sweet vendor items.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I've also updated info regarding buying attributes. Note that this is generalized advice, putting you in a situation where you should be able to wear the heaviest armor you like, wear whatever jewelry you want, or equip caster items (if you're a caster). Note that having more Physique pays off on Ultimate, where Defense plays an important role (lets you avoid nasty crits), so don't feel like it gimps your character.

quote:

Attribute points (Physique, Cunning, Spirit) spent are also permanent. You can't respec/reset them. To ensure you have enough of an attribute to wear armor and jewelry ideal for your character, look at the endgame gear sold by faction vendors. In general, I would suggest the following:

Fighter Attributes*
Physique 875+
Cunning - put leftover points here
Spirit 300+

Caster Attributes*
Physique 875+
Cunning - put leftover points here
Spirit 650+

*These are base values purely determined by buying up attributes and masteries. These values do not include increases from other skills or items you have equipped. Warning: these are generalized spreads to prevent you from gimping your character or limiting your options, and may not be super optimized for your specific character.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.

Psykmoe posted:

Devotion stuff

Keep in mind that ultimately, Turtle scales into obsolescence in Ultimate, since damage absorption comes before resists; it'll end up shattering in a couple hits. However, damage absorb shields like Crab and Blast Shield apply that flat reduction to every hit during their durations - it's the difference between getting a temp X health buffer and a buff that reduces incoming damage by X, until expiring.

I'm starting to lean away from Chariot, too. It usually ends up being a steep cost for stats that you can snag more efficiently by dipping into stuff around the chart. Wayward Soul is one of the weaker heals, and I feel like offensive devotion procs are in a good place now that resist reductions are much more common across the board and most procs have some CC on them. Flame Torrent might be worth looking into if it can go on Thermite Mine now? Fissure seems like solid CC with multiple mine procs, too.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Caffeine IV posted:

Keep in mind that ultimately, Turtle scales into obsolescence in Ultimate, since damage absorption comes before resists; it'll end up shattering in a couple hits. However, damage absorb shields like Crab and Blast Shield apply that flat reduction to every hit during their durations - it's the difference between getting a temp X health buffer and a buff that reduces incoming damage by X, until expiring.

Crab's tooltip on the devotion screen is formatted precisely the same as the tooltip on turtle so I do not understand how I was supposed to know it is mechanically different. They both simply say "X Damage Absorption". I thought the Crab's shield was simply a fast recharging barrier that only ate elemental types (its skill recharge gets shorter with level, turtle doesn't).

Likewise for Blast shield. Damage Absorption

So Damage Absorption doesn't equal Damage Absorption now? I just assumed Blast Shield's resists/Avoidance stayed up for its 4 second duration after the piddly absorb is used up.

Crab shield does not have a listed duration on its tooltip, only skill recharge, so again, I am confused.

Also I guess the one thing Wayward Soul has going for it is that its internal skill recharge gets faster with level.:shrug:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 12, 2016

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Do enemies get increased resistances in Ultimate? My Primal Strike is supposed to be doing 6000-8000 damage a pop but I'm lucky if I hit for 3500, even on trash mobs.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Welp, 300 more heroes and bosses slain, 0 pieces of the Ultos set. 0 upgrades, in fact; still haven't found anything better than my Falcon Claw, for example, which is now 27 levels below my character.

Jabarto posted:

Do enemies get increased resistances in Ultimate? My Primal Strike is supposed to be doing 6000-8000 damage a pop but I'm lucky if I hit for 3500, even on trash mobs.

Yep, some more than others. You can use devotions and/or skills and/or gear to reduce those resistances.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Thanks for the advice earlier in the thread. I'm steamrolling through elite, and it's a lot more fun than my first playthrough. The only bummer is that I'm still heavily reliant on bleed damage, so the fun comes to a sudden and painful halt every time I run into an undead heavy section of the game. I will not be trying SoT gain until I'm more lightning damage heavy.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
I finally got over the hump on my 2h ranged pyromancer and it was all thanks to Curse of Fraility. What a wonderful ability. :black101:

I could use some recommendations for devotions. I currently have 7 points total, with Flame Torrent unlocked because I didn't know it was a melee-range effect. I'm looking to spec out of it into Eldritch Fire or Fissure, but can't figure out a good set of constellations to pick to fulfill the requirements.

e: Also, does elemental damage mean any elemental damage or is it its own thing?

Damegane fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 13, 2016

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Fewd posted:

You might like witchblade (soldier+occultist) as a chaos/vitality sword and board "dark knight" tanky type. It's relatively mobile once you get riftstone components in your weapon and shield. Riftstones give you chaos strike which is a hard hitter with teleport.

Mine is only level 35 so can't comment how it'll hold on top levels, but so far it's fun to play. If you decide to try it out, rush for sigil of consumption. It'll trivialize normal/veteran.

Thanks, I ended up trying this and it's fun. I like that witchfire and cadence work with both ranged and melee weapons, so I can switch to a gun and start shooting people if I feel like it. I don't know how long that will continue to be viable, but I'm really enjoying how this game seems to encourage versatile characters that can take more than one approach to fighting.

How important is it to raise the mastery skill of your specialization? Is there a minimum that I'll need by the end game? If I don't level up soldier all the way to 50, will I be screwed? I feel like the defensive skills at the lower end of the tree are more beneficial overall since I'm going for vitality and chaos damage in the occultist tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Heithinn Grasida posted:

How important is it to raise the mastery skill of your specialization? Is there a minimum that I'll need by the end game? If I don't level up soldier all the way to 50, will I be screwed? I feel like the defensive skills at the lower end of the tree are more beneficial overall since I'm going for vitality and chaos damage in the occultist tree.

Really depends on the character. My physical gunslinger commando went through elite as something like 32/25 because there were a ton of good low tier skills and all the top tier ones sucked badly for him. It's generally good to max one sooner or later though, it gives attributes and health and such. But speaking of chaos/vit witchblade, you wanna max occultist instead of soldier. Possession is very good. I actually have very few points in soldier so far at 35, Just one in cadence and a few in menhir's will and fighting spirit.