Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Atomizer posted:

How about this for a premade Plex server: http://computers.woot.com/offers/acer-aspire-tc-intel-i7-quad-core-desktop-1
i7 4790, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Win10, ~$470 shipped w/tax. (Until the end of day CST.)

I'm still reading through the thread, and just installed the Plex server installed on a decent A10 laptop, but was going to consider one of those TS140s for ~$300 shipped (i3 4130, 4 GB RAM, no HDD or OS.) I figure the ~$170 difference between the two systems is worth the massive CPU and RAM upgrade, let alone the HDD and OS which I'd need for the Lenovo anyway. I'll be swapping in an SSD for the OS drive either way I go, and if I needed an OS for the TS140 I was planning to go with Ubuntu. I'm fine with WIndows if it comes with it though; the machine will be used for Plex and Handbrake, and the i7 would be appreciated.

Is there anything wrong with that Acer that I'm missing? I'm fine with it only having 2 internal 3.5" drive bays, I don't need a ton of storage to begin with and I have plenty of external drives and other machines to host remote storage.

Nope, that looks like a really great deal, even if it is refurbished. I say go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Aight, thanks, bought it!

Logitech K410 is on sale for $20 today for anyone interested: amazon.com/gp/product/B00LBGUVU6

Anyone use a Chromebit (or similar Rockchip 3288 Chromebook system) as a client? The Chrome Plex extension works, except I have no media on my [temporary] server yet (still setting things up and going through the DVD collection before beginning transcoding.) I'm actually using a Chromebook Flip with that same SoC right now, it's really solid, but I had been wondering specifically about the Chromebit as a more functional Chromecast/Roku/etc. replacement as opposed to a cheap Chromebook. Those Hisense Chromebooks (same SoC) were just on sale on Woot for ~$100, and they're actually way nicer systems than you'd expect, but the Chromebit is only a little cheaper and lacks any I/O devices (hence the lack of a selling point.) Still, as an out-of-the-way behind-the-TV device, I'd consider the Chromebit if it works as a Plex client.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Welp, I've done it: I read through this entire thread over the past 2-3 days. :stare:

I'll post/ask more about actual Plex stuff later, but for now here's another daily deal that someone may find useful:
http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-intel-i5-128gb-ssd-tiny-desktops
I guess it's for anyone looking for something like an NUC, but with a more powerful i5 plus an OS. You'll need external/remote media storage though. Deal ends at the end of today, <21 hours from right now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Aight, thanks, bought it!

Logitech K410 is on sale for $20 today for anyone interested: amazon.com/gp/product/B00LBGUVU6

Anyone use a Chromebit (or similar Rockchip 3288 Chromebook system) as a client? The Chrome Plex extension works, except I have no media on my [temporary] server yet (still setting things up and going through the DVD collection before beginning transcoding.) I'm actually using a Chromebook Flip with that same SoC right now, it's really solid, but I had been wondering specifically about the Chromebit as a more functional Chromecast/Roku/etc. replacement as opposed to a cheap Chromebook. Those Hisense Chromebooks (same SoC) were just on sale on Woot for ~$100, and they're actually way nicer systems than you'd expect, but the Chromebit is only a little cheaper and lacks any I/O devices (hence the lack of a selling point.) Still, as an out-of-the-way behind-the-TV device, I'd consider the Chromebit if it works as a Plex client.

What's your setup like? Do you have an A/V receiver? Because I don't think the packaged HTML5 Chrome app or the web app can do 5.1 DTS audio. I think 5.1 AC3 audio is supported when direct playing, but I'm not entirely sure. I've never tried to use my C720 as a Plex client hooked up to my receiver while controlling it from the couch with my Logitech K400. Guess I should try that later today.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

teagone posted:

What's your setup like? Do you have an A/V receiver? Because I don't think the packaged HTML5 Chrome app or the web app can do 5.1 DTS audio. I think 5.1 AC3 audio is supported when direct playing, but I'm not entirely sure. I've never tried to use my C720 as a Plex client hooked up to my receiver while controlling it from the couch with my Logitech K400. Guess I should try that later today.

Well the original intended media center (before going to Plex with the possibility of streaming to other devices) is the living room HDTV, the largest display in the house, which does have an audio receiver but ultimately just getting the content to the TV is fine; we don't often turn on the receiver and play surround audio. So, that being the case, I'm not too concerned about the source audio. I don't care if it has to transcode and/or downmix to stereo; the new server I'll be setting up will be able to take care of it.

I have my Flip connected to my temp Plex server right now via the extension/app, and am also controlling it via CRD, however I haven't added any content yet. That being said, I tried to do a test of some kind: I installed some channels and streamed some South Park even though I just could've gone to southparkstudios.com to stream directly from there to this machine. It did appear the server was transcoding, though: I checked Resource Monitor and a transcoding process was active. So, I think that as far as the whole "will a Chromebook work for this" question is concerned, the answer appears to be yes, which is nice to know for future plans. Ubuntu works on these Rockchip devices too, but you're limited to what you can get/compile for ARM. Ultimately, for $100, it's a nice hybrid of a media center PC and thin Plex client, without the limitations of a Roku or Chromecast.

Worst-case scenario, if I really want surround sound from a Chromebook I'll figure something out. Part of my setup questions involve transcoding via Handbrake; I did some preliminary testing and am really happy with the quality/size/performance tradeoff of HEVC. I'm probably going to use that for video, and pass through original audio without transcoding; is that a decent plan, or should I transcode audio? Is HEVC a deal-breaker in some way? I don't care about the performance hit and the fact that transcoding will probably be mandatory for any non-PC device; the CPU on the server is like 10k Passmark and this is 480p anyway, so it's not going to matter. I just want to clear this up before I start batching DVDs and realize I have to go back and redo everything because I made a bad decision.

I first got into all this because I recently decided I needed to come up with a way to make a decent-sized DVD collection more accessible. Most of the discs are sitting in a couple of large suitcase-type organizers, and nobody really goes into them even if there's something we want to watch just because it's so inconvenient to sift through all that. I originally wanted to do something, anything, to get those videos to the main TV, with one plan being to transcode them and put them on an external HDD attached to one of the aforementioned Chromebooks, connected to the TV via HDMI. That'd be a fine local solution, but then Plex came to mind and it basically does exactly what I want it to and so much more.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

teagone posted:

The Pi 3 would make an excellent Plex client. I personally don't think it's a viable solution as a Plex server.

In particular, how would you propose to store your files on it. You've either got an SD card or a USB hard drive, both of which are running over USB, just like previous Pis. Its IO bandwidth is going to be laughable.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

People just like getting the Pi1/2/3 doing anything useful as a hobbiest kind of thing.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Khablam posted:

People just like getting the Pi1/2/3 doing anything useful as a hobbiest kind of thing.

This. One Pi project I was considering is turning it into a print server for my ChromeOS devices. If I bought a Pi it would be exclusively to have it solve a problem that I invented just to have an excuse to buy one.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Can't really be too bothered with that given they could pack them in cereal boxes with how much they cost.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I'm looking for some validation of my life choices. I have a Synology ds1815+ which has direct-from-the-disc blu-rays on it in mkv format (which could be switched to mp4 if needed.) I used Plex many years ago (5? 6?) and loved it, but an hdmi cable to my laptop running VLC was just easier. Now with a kid on the way and grandma involved I want a more Netflix like experience which doesn't involve a HDMI cable strung across the living room floor.

I am very proficient in computering, but I loath doing it at home. I have a TiVo and a Chromecast. I had a first gen Roku (N1000) until it croaked. I like things which Just Work.

What I don't want: To deal with transcoding. I don't want to pre-compress the files, I don't want to wonder if transcoding is going to keep up with real time watching, etc. Wifi.

I am thinking: Current generation Intel NUC w/ Sata port for existing SSD I own. Hook it up to TV over HDMI, hook it to home network via wired ethernet. Run Windows? 7/8/10? on the NUC with some kind of plex client app. Run Plex server on my synology. The NUC should have the processing power to natively play anything I throw at it. Does this sound correct/sane?

What I need filled in: Is there a "better" OS to run? Under duress I could be convinced of some variant of Linux to save the license fee for Windows. Is that a thing? What do the cool kids do for a wireless navigation device? Some kind of keyboard/trackpad thing? Is there a way to make it use a universal remote, something roku styled? Are there better options?

Thanks.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

I'm looking for some validation of my life choices. I have a Synology ds1815+ which has direct-from-the-disc blu-rays on it in mkv format (which could be switched to mp4 if needed.) I used Plex many years ago (5? 6?) and loved it, but an hdmi cable to my laptop running VLC was just easier. Now with a kid on the way and grandma involved I want a more Netflix like experience which doesn't involve a HDMI cable strung across the living room floor.

I am very proficient in computering, but I loath doing it at home. I have a TiVo and a Chromecast. I had a first gen Roku (N1000) until it croaked. I like things which Just Work.

What I don't want: To deal with transcoding. I don't want to pre-compress the files, I don't want to wonder if transcoding is going to keep up with real time watching, etc. Wifi.

I am thinking: Current generation Intel NUC w/ Sata port for existing SSD I own. Hook it up to TV over HDMI, hook it to home network via wired ethernet. Run Windows? 7/8/10? on the NUC with some kind of plex client app. Run Plex server on my synology. The NUC should have the processing power to natively play anything I throw at it. Does this sound correct/sane?

What I need filled in: Is there a "better" OS to run? Under duress I could be convinced of some variant of Linux to save the license fee for Windows. Is that a thing? What do the cool kids do for a wireless navigation device? Some kind of keyboard/trackpad thing? Is there a way to make it use a universal remote, something roku styled? Are there better options?

Thanks.

This sounds very close to my situation. I, too, was considering the laptop-direct-to-the-TV thing, but in your case as well as mine Plex is what you need. Get a PC, install Plex server, point it at the media files which can be on a file server somewhere else on the network as convenient. Install Plex client on devices as needed (Roku, Chromecast, Tivo, PS3/4, Xbox, iOS/Android, etc.) and connect to the server. Devices like PCs will probably be able to play the MKVs directly, but when appropriate the server handles transcoding on-the-fly. You don't even have to think about it if you're happy with how you have your files stored now.

If you already have an OS that runs Plex server, that's fine, you don't need to install a Linux distro or whatever. If you're building a barebones though and don't already have a spare Windows license, you'll need to add that to your costs or consider Ubuntu (which you can try right now as a live OS on a USB drive to see how it works.)

If you want to control the server directly without being in front of it (i.e. running it headless) you could use something like Chrome Remote Desktop. If you want to set up the server to also function as a HTPC for your main TV you could control it with a Logitech K400-series wireless keyboard/trackpad combo (amazon.com/gp/product/B014EUQOGK), and possibly a remote if you want (FLIRC, Logitech Harmony, etc.) It will probably be easiest to use your Chromecast or Tivo as a client though and stream to one of those.

Regarding your plan to use an NUC and NAS, keep in mind you want your server to be reasonably powerful to handle the automatic transcoding duties. It's backwards to have the NUC as the client and the NAS as the server, although the Synology obviously can't be the client. If you want to buy an NUC, that's fine: install the hardware and software and let it perform as both client and server, connected to your TV and your network, and you can leave the NAS wherever; this also lets you stream to the rest of your devices. Your main consideration here is the CPU, then. Check out your options at cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php to see the Passmark scores; you need about 2000 points per 1080p stream that you want to transcode simultaneously, 1500 for 720p. As long as you have a CPU with a few thousand points you'll be fine for that one stream to your main TV with enough excess, but consider your future expansion desires. Since you're looking at an NUC for convenience already, consider one of these: http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-intel-i5-128gb-ssd-tiny-desktops
Similar size but a full system with OS and all; you just need to upgrade to Win10, install PHS and point it to your media. Act quick if you're interested, though; the deal expires in less than 11 hours (although it may show up later if they don't sell out.) Check my post history in this thread for more info on some of the aforementioned hardware.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Atomizer posted:

If you want to control the server directly without being in front of it (i.e. running it headless) you could use something like Chrome Remote Desktop. If you want to set up the server to also function as a HTPC for your main TV you could control it with a Logitech K400-series wireless keyboard/trackpad combo (amazon.com/gp/product/B014EUQOGK), and possibly a remote if you want (FLIRC, Logitech Harmony, etc.) It will probably be easiest to use your Chromecast or Tivo as a client though and stream to one of those.

I sort of hate my chromecast. It was free so I leave it plugged in, but I only use it for Youtube. They recently added HDMI-CEC which made it slightly better, but even that isn't well supported (play/pause/stop, no rewind/fast forward/next/back), and it means I have to involve a secondary device to initialize the stream which Grandma (and me) are going to find frustrating. I am a huge luddite. I imagine I would need to transcode for both, so that is also out. (And I use the faster SD menus for my TiVo. I'll show myself out.)

quote:

Regarding your plan to use an NUC and NAS, keep in mind you want your server to be reasonably powerful to handle the automatic transcoding duties. It's backwards to have the NUC as the client and the NAS as the server, although the Synology obviously can't be the client. If you want to buy an NUC, that's fine: install the hardware and software and let it perform as both client and server, connected to your TV and your network, and you can leave the NAS wherever; this also lets you stream to the rest of your devices. Your main consideration here is the CPU, then. Check out your options at cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php to see the Passmark scores; you need about 2000 points per 1080p stream that you want to transcode simultaneously, 1500 for 720p. As long as you have a CPU with a few thousand points you'll be fine for that one stream to your main TV with enough excess, but consider your future expansion desires. Since you're looking at an NUC for convenience already, consider one of these: http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-intel-i5-128gb-ssd-tiny-desktops

Having the NUC be both is likely what I will do then, it hadn't crossed my mind. It would magically add support for tablets and phones and such which is an amusing side benefit, though I doubt it would be used much if ever. Plex Server is a push-button install on the Synology and so I fixated on that. I explicitly stated I only want native playback, no transcoding. I would rather have a slightly beefier client that can do native playback than a beefier server which can transcode on the fly. Make sense?

The Lenovo offer is pretty compelling with its bundled Windows license, even if it would hurt my soul/neckbeard to pay money for a dsub connector I would never see. I think I'm going to pass. I have a little extra money right now and getting "todays" processor rather than 2 years ago seems fun. http://ark.intel.com/compare/91160,75045

My general plan is to leave the Plex Client open all the time full screen. I don't actually want people using the computer for anything else without it being idiot proof.

I guess the distilled dream/problem statement is a Roku which can playback anything VLC style with no "heavy lifting" (transcoding) going on. Is that a thing? (Super user friendly UI, no ability to break the box, hdmi, wired ethernet, and a remote which is more or less a d-pad, select, and home.)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks.

Why run the server on the 1815+? So when you do move plex to a second bedroom that requires transcoding or a remote stream when you're visiting inlaws you then have to deal with problems? Take advantage of the 1815+ for the bays it has. Use the NUC to run the server and the client. Get a cheap Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse for when there are problems, use remote desktop to manage it most of the time, and spend the money on a Harmony smart hub to get the entire setup working with one remote.

I use OS X to run mine via a refurbed mac mini. I found it to be plenty fast, low power to keep on 24/7 which I want anyways as it's connected to the TV, OS X is rock solid (although I do love Win10 now as well) and look good in my tv stand. The smart hub, when on sale, was the best purchase and made the thing entirely easy to control.

Expect to deal with remote sharing (which is usually flawless) when family members cover over and see it working perfectly.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 10, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

I sort of hate my chromecast. It was free so I leave it plugged in, but I only use it for Youtube. They recently added HDMI-CEC which made it slightly better, but even that isn't well supported (play/pause/stop, no rewind/fast forward/next/back), and it means I have to involve a secondary device to initialize the stream which Grandma (and me) are going to find frustrating. I am a huge luddite. I imagine I would need to transcode for both, so that is also out. (And I use the faster SD menus for my TiVo. I'll show myself out.)

Having the NUC be both is likely what I will do then, it hadn't crossed my mind. It would magically add support for tablets and phones and such which is an amusing side benefit, though I doubt it would be used much if ever. Plex Server is a push-button install on the Synology and so I fixated on that. I explicitly stated I only want native playback, no transcoding. I would rather have a slightly beefier client that can do native playback than a beefier server which can transcode on the fly. Make sense?

The Lenovo offer is pretty compelling with its bundled Windows license, even if it would hurt my soul/neckbeard to pay money for a dsub connector I would never see. I think I'm going to pass. I have a little extra money right now and getting "todays" processor rather than 2 years ago seems fun. http://ark.intel.com/compare/91160,75045

My general plan is to leave the Plex Client open all the time full screen. I don't actually want people using the computer for anything else without it being idiot proof.

I guess the distilled dream/problem statement is a Roku which can playback anything VLC style with no "heavy lifting" (transcoding) going on. Is that a thing? (Super user friendly UI, no ability to break the box, hdmi, wired ethernet, and a remote which is more or less a d-pad, select, and home.)

I think there's still some confusion about the whole transcoding thing. If your clients support the media natively then the server won't need to transcode, and in practice this means the client is a PC, particularly when you're talking about 1080p or better content. On the other hand, don't worry about transcoding because the Plex server does it for you, automatically. It's only going to be an issue if you're trying to install Plex on a toaster or something. As long as your CPU can transcode at least one 1080p stream you're golden. It's literally not something that you should be concerned about to begin with. One of the major selling points of Plex is that it handles all the streaming chores automatically, so you just need to install the software on both ends and not worry what the server has to do. I did a little test with my temporary setup, and had my server stream South Park to this Chromebook. It transcoded (likely because it was a 1080p source and this display is 720p-class) but it made no difference to me: it looked great. The only way I knew it was transcoding because I remoted into the server and looked at the resource monitor.

This is moot now because the sale is over, but the Lenovo's CPU is a little better in terms of synthetic performance and thus correlates to better performance as a server (because there's an expectation that it's going to have to do some transcoding at some point,) but the NUC isn't that far behind. It's certainly more efficient on a per-watt basis. https://cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=2041&cmp%5B%5D=2671

If you don't want to transcode then it doesn't make sense to get something with as potent a CPU as that i5; if you're streaming from PC-to-PC then the server just has to be powerful enough to do a simple file transfer, and the client has to have sufficient GPU performance to decode the stream.

One of the things that I was considering when deciding on my media center solution was the level of involvement I'd need to have. I was strongly considering just a Chromebook solution because managing it involves little more than rebooting it when it gets an update. I'm OK with having to remote into a Plex server to manage it though, because the functionality it offers is amazing.

I think your ideal system is perhaps a Chromebox: cheap, functional, decent CPUs available, simple UI (i.e. Chrome), secure, ethernet, and an actual VLC extension. At most you'd have to add a remote; the Roku remote probably works with FLIRC, now that I think about it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sellouts posted:

Expect to deal with remote sharing (which is usually flawless) when family members cover over and see it working perfectly.

They will never know this is a feature.

Atomizer posted:

I think there's still some confusion about the whole transcoding thing. If your clients support the media natively then the server won't need to transcode, and in practice this means the client is a PC :words:

NUC isn't that far behind. It's certainly more efficient on a per-watt basis.

Perfect. Screw other devices. NUCs all the way down. Thanks for your help.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The only thing is, if you're just using one device as server and client, with no other clients, and not offering remote streaming to anyone else...you don't really need Plex. You've essentially just got a standalone PC.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Atomizer posted:

The only thing is, if you're just using one device as server and client, with no other clients, and not offering remote streaming to anyone else...you don't really need Plex. You've essentially just got a standalone PC.

With grandmother friendly netflix like interface? Because Windows Explorer with a shortcut is what we're trying to get away from here. If I'm looking at the wrong software package so be it, any suggestions?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Nah, plex is perfectly suitable for what you're looking to do. It's valid to use it as a glorified UI upgrade.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Agreed. Plus it gets you more organised and allows for any future expansion vis a vis Chromecasts or anything else.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
The other alternative if you're not transcoding and just want a nice interface for playing local or network share files is kodi. It's designed as a TV interface in much the same way as plex is but designed purely for local media.

I personally use plex as my backed but prefer the kodi interface so use that on my media playing device.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Atomizer posted:

I think there's still some confusion about the whole transcoding thing. If your clients support the media natively then the server won't need to transcode, and in practice this means the client is a PC, particularly when you're talking about 1080p or better content.

The Chromecast is capable of playing back content from a Plex server without the need for full transcoding, i.e., it can direct play content. It all just depends on how the media is encoded. Even then, direct streaming content (which is when Plex transcodes only one media stream, either the audio or video, and directly pipes the other stream without transcoding it) has minimal impact on CPU resources.

H110Hawk posted:

Perfect. Screw other devices. NUCs all the way down. Thanks for your help.

In your case, all you'd really need is this Intel NUC + RAM + SSD/HDD, a FLIRC, and this $5 Motorola IR remote. Or if you want an even simpler remote, get an Apple IR one—I use the IR remote that came with my 2006 MacBook to control Plex Media Player on my HTPC.

You don't need an i3 or i5 NUC if aren't planning to share you server with anyone or use it for remote playback; a sub $200 Braswell NUC is more than capable of directly playing content off your NAS running Plex Media Server. Also, as far as what OS to use, you can forgo running Windows or even Ubuntu or whatever as Plex offers Plex Media Player for embedded devices, e.g., the Braswell NUC I linked or a Pi. Catch is you have to be a Plex Pass subscriber in order to utilize that.

[edit]
Found a reddit thread where a user talks about how they're running the embedded version of Plex Media Player on their Chromebox with a FLIRC and Harmony remote: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/3t6e44/anyone_using_plex_media_player_with_a_flirc_device/

I'm guessing you could probably get by with this $155 Chromebox, complete with RAM and SSD, become a Plex Pass sub, and run the embedded version of Plex Media Player on it (More info here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/212523657).

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 10, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you're going to directplay 99% of the time, and just have a 1% minority of media that'll need to transcode, a very viable alternative to getting something able to do >1x transcodes of the content is optimised versions.

The Win10 app is also a valid sync destination, so if you have a server you want to turn off for X-hours a day to save power (or is otherwise also a general purpose desktop you don't run 24/7) you can have it keep n-episodes in cache.
The entry cost to Plex can be very very low if you don't mind a couple of compromises.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

iajanus posted:

Agreed. Plus it gets you more organised and allows for any future expansion vis a vis Chromecasts or anything else.

The thing is he doesn't like his Chromecast or want to use any other devices, and he doesn't want to let Plex automatically transcode for no good reason. I agree with the suggestions and recommendations, he just seems to want to go in a different direction and not use the features that Plex offers.

What do you guys think about what I asked regarding transcoding? Before I get started mass-transcoding DVDs, are there any recommendations, any things I need to remember to do or not to do? Like I said, I was going for HEVC and source audio, and I know the server will have to transcode particularly to all the mobile devices that can't natively decode HEVC.

My server came today, although I won't have time to do anything with it until at least tomorrow if not later.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Look I hate features OK? I appreciate the suggestions.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

I can't get Plex to pull down info for this series from the TVDB - it's just Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3 etc. As far as I can tell the file and naming structure is fine, and there's no metadata in the files muddying the waters. Where am I going wrong?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

spincube posted:

I can't get Plex to pull down info for this series from the TVDB - it's just Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3 etc. As far as I can tell the file and naming structure is fine, and there's no metadata in the files muddying the waters. Where am I going wrong?

Try going to the series level and selecting "fix incorrect match"?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's either an incorrect match (but this seems unlikely, since tvdb calls TOS just 'star trek', as you named it) or the tvdb connection could be down at the moment. Happens every once in a while. Maybe wait a few hours and check again / reload the server in case it's stuck on some other connection that's timing out.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Got it - a quick library refresh sorted it out. Thanks!

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Huh. This is a weird one. Plex is running in Mint 17.2 in a VM on my NAS.

I've had to turn off the DLNA server, because it randomly goes absolutely haywire and saturates its local switch causing serious (localized) network congestion, before normalizing itself after some time. The main router is perfectly fine and anything thats not on the same physical switch as the Plex server all are fine during this (as long as they don't need to talk to anything connected to the same switch as the Plex server).

Also had nethogs chewup 1 entire CPU core by itself when I was diagnosing this as it tried to track all the random connections to (literally) nowhere the DLNA server was sending data to.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

lurksion posted:

Huh. This is a weird one. Plex is running in Mint 17.2 in a VM on my NAS.

I've had to turn off the DLNA server, because it randomly goes absolutely haywire and saturates its local switch causing serious (localized) network congestion, before normalizing itself after some time. The main router is perfectly fine and anything thats not on the same physical switch as the Plex server all are fine during this (as long as they don't need to talk to anything connected to the same switch as the Plex server).

Also had nethogs chewup 1 entire CPU core by itself when I was diagnosing this as it tried to track all the random connections to (literally) nowhere the DLNA server was sending data to.

Is your switch smart enough for you to login to? I imagine the DNLA server is sending out out a multicast beacon which your switch is failing to correctly process. Eventually some table fills up, it crashes, reboots, and off you go!

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

H110Hawk posted:

Is your switch smart enough for you to login to? I imagine the DNLA server is sending out out a multicast beacon which your switch is failing to correctly process. Eventually some table fills up, it crashes, reboots, and off you go!
That could make sense. It's a tomato-based router setup as a wireless bridge.

I'd test more, but I'm feeling lazy and no one used DLNA anyway.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Has anybody else encountered an issue on the Plex AppleTV app where the picture will freeze, but audio continues as normal? Going back to the menu then resuming playback clears it up, but it seems like an odd bug to me. I saw it happen twice yesterday in the space of five minutes.

Running Plex Server off a late-2015 iMac over a wired network. The file was converted from DVD via Handbrake to AppleTV compatible format, so I don't think it's transcoding?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've had that happen with the Netflix app so I don't think it's Plex specific.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

ConanThe3rd posted:

Hows it for transcoding?
I watch plenty of 1080P video through my Chromecast and PS4 and it works great for me. Plex updates the server component for Synology very often.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Atomizer posted:

The thing is he doesn't like his Chromecast or want to use any other devices, and he doesn't want to let Plex automatically transcode for no good reason. I agree with the suggestions and recommendations, he just seems to want to go in a different direction and not use the features that Plex offers.

What do you guys think about what I asked regarding transcoding? Before I get started mass-transcoding DVDs, are there any recommendations, any things I need to remember to do or not to do? Like I said, I was going for HEVC and source audio, and I know the server will have to transcode particularly to all the mobile devices that can't natively decode HEVC.

My server came today, although I won't have time to do anything with it until at least tomorrow if not later.

Sup plex buddy. Just use handbrake to copy everything onto plex as you're doing already and skip the audio unless necessary. Do not forget to follow their naming conventions, which are pretty straightforward. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200028098-Media-Preparation

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

teagone posted:

In your case, all you'd really need is this Intel NUC + RAM + SSD/HDD, a FLIRC, and this $5 Motorola IR remote. Or if you want an even simpler remote, get an Apple IR one—I use the IR remote that came with my 2006 MacBook to control Plex Media Player on my HTPC.

I bought this and set it up. The movies are stuttering like crazy while playing, but are not transcoding. TBD the issue. Haven't tested if the lovely switch I have is causing the issue or something else.

Pallando
Aug 15, 2001
WTF? I don't have stairs at my home!
Most of the stuttering is a problem of incorrect audio drivers and audio setup. Make sure to install all of them and make sure audio is set up right. There is a guide here: http://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201214687-Audio-Configuration-Guide-Plex-Home-Theater

That eliminated most of my stuttering issues. Depending on the NUC and your OS, HD Audio stuff like DTS MA could also be a problem.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

I bought this and set it up. The movies are stuttering like crazy while playing, but are not transcoding. TBD the issue. Haven't tested if the lovely switch I have is causing the issue or something else.

Are you using the Plex Embedded OS or are you running Plex in a Windows environment? If the latter, are you using Plex Home Theater or—assuming you paid for a Plex Pass—are you using Plex Media Player? As Pallando mentioned, the stuttering is likely being caused by an audio issue.

[edit] Looking up a review real quick, the NUC I linked you is capable of decoding an 80Mbps 4K HEVC 30FPS stream without a hitch: http://nucblog.net/2015/07/braswell-nuc-nuc5cpyh-review-windows-performance/ so I'm pretty sure it's not an issue surrouding the CPU/GPU being took weak for playing back straight blu-ray rips. The hardware should be more than capable.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 17, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

teagone posted:

Are you using the Plex Embedded OS or are you running Plex in a Windows environment? If the latter, are you using Plex Home Theater or—assuming you paid for a Plex Pass—are you using Plex Media Player? As Pallando mentioned, the stuttering is likely being caused by an audio issue.

Pallando posted:

Most of the stuttering is a problem of incorrect audio drivers and audio setup. Make sure to install all of them and make sure audio is set up right. There is a guide here: http://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201214687-Audio-Configuration-Guide-Plex-Home-Theater

That eliminated most of my stuttering issues. Depending on the NUC and your OS, HD Audio stuff like DTS MA could also be a problem.

Thanks, a buddy suggested audio as well. I will have a look see. Most of what I have is DTS but not the higher bitrate HD. I wish there were some kind of diagnostics screen you could get to within this system. I see this log location but not how to access it. Do I need to get the disk hooked up to a Linux system to read the file?

I bought a lifetime plex pass and installed Plex Embedded OS on a SanDisk USB stick (SDCZ43-032G-G46) via a super crappy free usb stick. If that is a source of the issue I can toss in the SSD I have for this purpose, but I figured I would give it a go as it is marginally less effort and I also owned this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm glad the age old joke of Linux not having working sound or networking is still at least partially true.

Was impressed that I streamed a film across the Atlantic yesterday with only two buffer points (one about a minute and one tiny), from my old core2duo server that might've been up to other things too. Not sure about transcoding as I was airplaying from my phone to an ATV, but everything looked great. Am used to just syncing to my phone while away, but thought I'd give it a whirl.

On another note, when I have the app open at the moment I'm getting nonstop sync start/finished notifications. Anyone else?