Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

zoux posted:

But everyone is unhappy and tragic all the time?

That's the reason that "gay people can't be unhappy or it's a trope" is loving stupid because it creates a separate class of character that is immune to the rules of storytelling, which are rules because they create compelling and interesting characters. What you are complaining about is actually better for LGBT representation than an absurd contextless moratorium on drama because the shipping echochamber on the internet has tried to appropriate another critical paradigm they understand at the most superficial level.

hmmmmmm

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

The Internet is terrible. :negative:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Troposphere posted:

hmmmmmm

nah

Yeah that's what I thought.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hollylolly posted:

The Internet is terrible. :negative:

The horror.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just ignore tropo. Her lady boner hasn't gone soft yet.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

esperterra posted:

Just ignore tropo. Her lady boner hasn't gone soft yet.

my lady boner never goes soft it is rock hard 24/7

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
it's kinda telling how literally all the people screaming "look at the crazy lesbians!" are (presumably) straight men

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Troposphere posted:

my lady boner never goes soft it is rock hard 24/7

Clitoral priapism is a real thing and while it won't kill you dead anytime soon, you should probably get a medical opinion on the matter.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Iron Rose posted:

it's kinda telling how literally all the people screaming "look at the crazy lesbians!" are (presumably) straight men

I'm a lesbian. I know crazy lesbians better than anyone.

e: fwiw anyway. I'm sure in other threads someone would yell internalized patriarchy at me if I tried to justify my opinion with 'well i'm a lesbian too and think the way they handled lexa's char and needing to be written off was a big step forward for gay representation'

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 10, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

The Iron Rose posted:

It's not that they're lesbians.

It's that they're crazy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Make the case then instead of trying to yet again make a subjective discussion objectively problematic.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Like I wasn't kidding before when I said people who act like this over a character death (gay, straight or otherwise) all remind me of Kathy Bates in Misery.

I mean it's hilarious and all but after a point it gets kind of ridiculous and frustrating, and all the crazy vocal minorities on the internet generalizing poo poo to make it seem all lesbians (or whichever group in whichever situation) are a hivemind eventually gets to be a bit much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm pretty telling how all the people that don't agree with me are Literally Hitlers. Sad, imo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Almost as if one's a majority and one isn't.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
My essay on why all these lesbians complaining about representation should be put in an asylum, by whiteguy von twentysomething

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Monicro posted:

My essay on why all these lesbians complaining about representation should be put in an asylum, by whiteguy von twentysomething

Except nobody has been saying that so

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Nooo esper we werent supposed to directly respond to eachother you know the rules

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Monicro posted:

Nooo esper we werent supposed to directly respond to eachother you know the rules

There are no rules bae ;3

e: ;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

In any case tho this is the post i was mainly referring to, in which a dude who apparently reads 4chan tells a lesbian what is best for representation

zoux posted:

But everyone is unhappy and tragic all the time?

That's the reason that "gay people can't be unhappy or it's a trope" is loving stupid because it creates a separate class of character that is immune to the rules of storytelling, which are rules because they create compelling and interesting characters. What you are complaining about is actually better for LGBT representation than an absurd contextless moratorium on drama because the shipping echochamber on the internet has tried to appropriate another critical paradigm they understand at the most superficial level.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monicro posted:

In any case tho this is the post i was mainly referring to, in which a dude who apparently reads 4chan tells a lesbian what is best for representation

Interesting that you mention case because this would be the second time you didn't make a case and instead tried to imply that I'm homophobic or something.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
we got too many queer women in here, I hope no one has a gun because if we're not careful one of us is going to end up tragically shot by a stray bullet

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Interesting that you mention case because this would be the second time you didn't make a case and instead tried to imply that I'm homophobic or something.

I'm still waiting for you to explain that follow-up btw

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monicro posted:

I'm still waiting for you to explain that follow-up btw

Yeah I bet, I bet you have an amazing counterthesis just stacked with examples and empirical evidence but you just can't reveal it, not until your conditions are met. Well, bad news, I guess the world is just going to have to go without.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Aliens-Guy-Saying-Lesbians.jpg

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I agree with zoux, though. Trotting out that trope every time a gay person dies regardless of context does nothing to help representation. The idea that gay characters aren't allowed to die or can't die unless they were happy for x amount of episodes beforehand is just silly, and expecting people to hamstring the writing process imho would likely lead to less gay characters on tv rather than more. If I was writing a book or a movie or show and somebody told me 'oh just fyi, if you have any gay characters in this they're exempt from death or unhappiness' I just would rather write about straight people, because then at least I can have stakes and make poo poo interesting.

It would be so much different had they just killed Lexa off in the first episode or two to get it over with, or if they had just never had her come back after Mt. Weather and had a little piece of exposition about her being assassinated between seasons. They gave her seven episodes, though, and a lot of that screentime was to the detriment of the pacing of the Arkadia/Pike storyline. They gave Lexa more than enough. People should be happy the character was as fleshed out and nuanced as she was, and that her death has actual meaning rather than being some throwaway dead gay. Like be upset she's gone all you want, but people lining up to like lynch the writers or try to tank the ratings is just silly and I think it will just lead that vocal group to realizing they aren't actually the majority of the show's fanbase like they seem to think they are.

Besides, it's not as if Clarke isn't going to end up having another lady lover whenever she has a new romantic interest. If they weren't already planning it before (and really, she hasn't shown much interest in men at all since kissing Lexa-- her casual sex encounter this season was with a woman and not a man) I wouldn't be surprised if the writers are all fretting about whether or not to make Clarke celibate from now on or risk introducing another gay character who might have to die or be put in danger at some point in the future of the show.

Though the shitstorm if she ends up with a dude before ending up with another lady will be pretty hilarious. I honestly don't care either way, relating to two people in love is easy no matter which parts they're into. It's just a nice bonus and breath of fresh air when those characters are gay. Male or female.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
To be fair, I think a lot of the anger comes from feeling like JRoth led them on a bit. It's like these two ATHF openings, only instead of corn, it's fans getting attacked by dead lesbians.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Spergatory posted:

To be fair, I think a lot of the anger comes from feeling like JRoth led them on a bit. It's like these two ATHF openings, only instead of corn, it's fans getting attacked by dead lesbians.

this is the best way I've seen of explaining it so thank you for that

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

How did he lead people on, though? I don't follow twitter or whatever but from what I know he's been very open the whole time in interviews/etc about our time with Lexa being limited due to FTWD.

Genuinely curious.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WarLocke posted:

It's not that they're lesbians.

It's that they're crazy.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

esperterra posted:

How did he lead people on, though? I don't follow twitter or whatever but from what I know he's been very open the whole time in interviews/etc about our time with Lexa being limited due to FTWD.

Genuinely curious.

He didn't lead anyone on.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

esperterra posted:

Genuinely curious.

There was that whole thing about purposely inviting fans up to Vancouver to watch them film finale scenes which prominently featured Lexa, in what we now know to be the City of Light, but back then had little-to-no context for. It could feel like kind of a bait-and-switch. "Hey guys, look at Lexa being totally alive at the end of the season! NOT! :devil:"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it's a little funny how on one side people are like "this is disappointing and I'm upset" and on the other side people are like "oh yeah? make a case for why you should be upset"

There is a solution to the dilemma of not being able to kill lgbt characters though. If you have enough lgbt characters you don't lose representation when you kill them. Miller and his BF, as well as Clarke herself are all lgbt representation on the show themselves but I don't really want to delve into the specific lesbian vs generic lgbt stuff.

Once again I think the biggest issue wasn't Lexa dying, just that it was handled a little clumsily. Her dying doesn't retroactively remove the representation that she did get, which I thought was pretty good but that's obviously subjective.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think it's a little funny how on one side people are like "this is disappointing and I'm upset" and on the other side people are like "oh yeah? make a case for why you should be upset"

No if they were saying that, I wouldn't give a poo poo.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 10, 2016

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Spergatory posted:

There was that whole thing about purposely inviting fans up to Vancouver to watch them film finale scenes which prominently featured Lexa, in what we now know to be the City of Light, but back then had little-to-no context for. It could feel like kind of a bait-and-switch. "Hey guys, look at Lexa being totally alive at the end of the season! NOT! :devil:"

What exactly do some fans think the writers/producers/whoever owe them? lol

because apparently it's a lot, for some reason

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

No if they were saying that, I wouldn't give a poo poo.

Yeah if it was mostly just 'i'm sad my fave char died and there's no lesbian couple this very second to fill the void' I can't imagine there ever would have been much of an argument. The issue (for me) is people blowing it up into some insult to gays and how all lesbians are furious about it bla bla bla, wow Tara much? etc.

Like I'm sad she's gone too, but I would never try to make it something that I truly believe it's not.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spergatory posted:

Wait, seriously?? Wowwwww. That's an impressive troll right there, hahaha. That makes this argument even more hilarious. Eat poo poo, tumblr/twitter masses! :boom:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Er to be clear I am a strong supporter of so called "SJWs" and associated causes, I just think in this specific case they're off base.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lexa outrage is trending on twitter again.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
they're bringing attention to a lgbt suicide prevention charity so that's cool

http://www.thetrevorproject.org/ if you wanna check it out or donate or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I wonder how many death threats the producers have received.

• Locked thread