Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jackard posted:

Got probated for [rightly] calling them out on their poo poo early on
You're a good man, I remember reading the earliest threads with their massive cum chug along hype train and just thinking ... no. This won't. And just abandoned it.

Prop Wash posted:

I called them out when they were trying to hype Starbound in the terraria thread, they had cool gifs of mecha walkers and a ton of ideas and nothing else. Remember those mecha walkers they were hyping? Good times.
Yeah it stunk early on, fast and hard.

People talk about wasted potential but cute little sprites are not indicative of potential. Unless people are talking about the wasted potential of all that money doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Also this guy got probated for agreeing with me.

Gimbal Lock posted:

I get where he's coming from. It's fine that the game's focus isn't spelunking. Assuming that it isn't, then what is it going to be focusing on -- What will a typical one-hour vertical slice of the game look like? If it only has a randomized bumpy surface, some towns and some randomized mobs to offer, it's going to be a pretty bland experience. Terraria wasn't good because it had procedurally generated terrain, but it did leverage the strengths of random ground by constantly altering how you interact with it: You'd go do some subsistence mining, then navigate dangerous invulnerable vertical shafts, then mine stuff that hurts you while under constant siege, then engineer clever ways to get large masses of water to meet lava and safely mine the results while probably under water, etc.

Procedurally generated terrain itself doesn't ensure that the world actually ends up particularly interesting. Procedurally generated data can be infinitely varied yet homogeneously bland all the same. Starbound's terrain looks nice and all, but navigating that stuff isn't going to keep anybody's interest for very long. So what do we know about what you actually do as a player in this game? We know plenty about cool little things that you might want to do, but we know next to nothing about its main gameplay loop except that spelunking probably won't be a huge focus. "To obtain loot" isn't a good enough reason to bother exploring a procedurally generated landscape: There's gotta be some genuinely fun mechanics and surprises at work, and who knows what those might be.

This game hasn't shown the most critically important cards in its hands yet, and as far as we know, Starbound might be holding a lame hand and is bluffing.

Gimbal Lock posted:

Way to miss the point entirely.The fact that we haven't seen anything for so long is exactly why it's worrisome. We have seen hours of streaming by now and there's barely anything about it except for proving that caves are dark and there might be no reason to go in there. We know a whole lot about small things by now but nothing about what we've all assumed would be the meat and potatoes, nor have we seen anything that might robustly replace it. Nothing suggests yet that this game will be more than the sum of its parts.

I'm not being negative just for the sake of being so, I'm merely suggesting to curb your expectations at the light of these typical warning signs.

Angry Diplomat posted:

This entire exchange is one of the most ridiculous things to come out of this thread so far, and that's really saying something. Good grief.

Gimbal Lock posted:

I am amazed that you can read what I wrote and all you get out of it is that the game isn't covering some kind of special niche that I adhere to. You're right that I'm not seeing what I'm hoping to see, and you should be hoping to see it too: any robust part in this game that stops being a toy and starts becoming an actual game. Almost everything high-level that's been announced has been toy features (dollhouse ship, clothes, etc) or something clearly designed to assist what should be core gameplay features but hasn't been shown yet (farming). If you don't understand the distinction between a toy and a game, don't bother replying more noise about how you don't get it therefore it's dumb.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The OP posted:

:qq: Why aren't they showing us more features of a game that's still so deep in development that it doesn't have a release date? They're making my game wrong! :qq:

A few of you really need to ease up. They're working on it. Terraria is already a game you can play. It's on Steam. Go ahead and play that if you want to scratch your Terraria Spelunking itch with no consequences. Starbound is not Terraria. It's its own game with its own mechanics and features. It might play better a different way than Terraria did... or they might already be including the features you're already assured don't exist.

Let's see how it plays out in beta before we complain.

Booya posted:

I'm not going to buy the beta if what they show of the game doesn't look appealing to me. I, and the other people with similar concerns about cave gen and other things, are not posting criticism purely to poo poo on your parade here, we want the game to be good just as much as you. All we're doing is giving feedback. That's it. The devs are free to either try to alleviate people's concerns by talking about what they have planned for cave-gen, or show off what they have in-depth, or ignore them because that's not the direction they want to go in. There's no loving need for people to dogpile any post that isn't 100% praise, they aren't meant as some kind of insult to you or the devs, IT'S JUST FEEDBACK.

Angry Diplomat posted:

FYI there is a difference between "fanatical dogpiling" and "more than one person thinks your concerns are very silly" :)

Booya posted:

What's silly about them? Based on the dev roadmap and what we've seen so far, they're 100% loving valid and all y'all have to say is STOP WHINING STOP WHINING IT'S GONNA BE GREAT. Why is it wrong to judge a game based off the information that we're presented, and present feedback on that information? Why should we just assume that all of our concerns will be handled in the future despite no word from the devs (that I'm aware of) that this is actually the case? ^_______________^
Remember our fallen brothers. :911:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 5, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i mean to insult the devs

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

someone getting a red title because they rightly pointed out that plodding around and hitting things with a pick for hours in the beginning of the game was dumb was pretty much the icing on that poo poo sandwich of people being weirdly uncritical of the game at all

also i said it was really dumb how breaking a vine takes like a minute if you're not using a specific tool and people tried to argue with me about that like it was some conscious design decision and not the devs being idiots. it was later patched to actually be reasonable

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Starbound 2013: STOP WHINING STOP WHINING IT'S GONNA BE GREAT ^_______________^

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Stardew is just one guy I think. And Chucklefish basically has nothing to do with the game besides publishing. Hell, they barely did what a publisher's supposed to do and promote the game.

I know I very nearly didn't get Stardew just because of the even vague association with Chucklefish.. they're like the anti-publisher.

It was only after reading several reviews and making sure that they weren't involved that I decided to finally give in and give it a go

I miss the better times, when we were excited by the possibility of 2 million different shades of dirt.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
There were actually living breathing human beings in this very thread who wanted different colors of dirt to go into separate stacks in your inventory

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't think I was in the camp where I wanted each dirt color to stack separately (I may have been!) but it did bug me that no matter what color you mined, it was all the same color (brown) in your inventory and when you placed it down which was dumb to me since this game is like, all about building tbings with materials and poo poo you find in the wild.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't think I was in the camp where I wanted each dirt color to stack separately (I may have been!) but it did bug me that no matter what color you mined, it was all the same color (brown) in your inventory and when you placed it down which was dumb to me since this game is like, all about building tbings with materials and poo poo you find in the wild.

Starbound 2020 Update Lugubrious Axolotl
-Good news, dirt lovers! We're adding in a new way to change the color of the dirt you collect back into any color dirt you have encountered before, so it stays both compact for carrying but viable for multicolored builds! This item is unlocked at the final tier of progress after you bit a 3 dungeon endurance run. The dungeon isn't finished just yet, but we know you'll really love the Dark Soulsavania feel of it!
-All dirt has been removed while we work on BIG DIRT update.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

like most other things about the game it was disappointing that it looked so good from the outside but in game terms it boiled down to some generic poo poo

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AnonSpore posted:

There were actually living breathing human beings in this very thread who wanted different colors of dirt to go into separate stacks in your inventory

guess what

they loving do :suicide:

my brother pointed this out to me: "How bout instead of that, you'd place blocks and be able to color them manually"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can also do that, it's just that you can only change them into preset colors found in the material's image file (which makes sense) and all of the colors are bad looking (which also makes sense)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Dirt chat starts here:

Tiy posted:

Many of the environmental blocks in Starbound are randomly coloured. For example you might find green dirt on one planet and brown dirt on another. There are hundreds of different shade of block.

We have a handful of options when obtaining/placing these blocks and I wondered which you guys think you'd prefer.
Note, the engine is ALREADY capable of all of these things, so there's no development time involved. It's purely picking which to go with.

1. Different coloured blocks are stored in different inventory slots. Placing those blocks places them in the colour you found them in. i.e. a green block remains green, even if you place it on a red planet.

2. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, placing that single block produces a block in its default colour.

3. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, placing that single block produces a block that matches the colour of that block as found on the planet you're on. (if that block isn't present on the planet, it would be the default colour).

Turtlicious posted:

I'd prefer them seperate, so that I can do a "collect them all" sort of thing.

Tiy posted:

Are you sure you want 10 ever so slightly different shades of green dirt in your inventory?
(anyone with half a brain went with #3 + improved paintgun)

Babe Magnet posted:

Just stop working on the game. Remove everything.
And here's where it all went wrong.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Magmarashi posted:

Starbound 2020 Update Lugubrious Axolotl
-Good news, dirt lovers! We're adding in a new way to change the color of the dirt you collect back into any color dirt you have encountered before, so it stays both compact for carrying but viable for multicolored builds! This item is unlocked at the final tier of progress after you bit a 3 dungeon endurance run. The dungeon isn't finished just yet, but we know you'll really love the Dark Soulsavania feel of it!

we still have a believer who thinks we'll get the final tier of progress by 2020

i'll bring the guillotine if y'all can find me a good public square

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 6, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jackard posted:

And here's where it all went wrong.

man if I had a nickel for every time that was said while reading my name

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

man if I had a nickel for every time that was said while reading my name

why, you'd be rich enough to bankroll several years of fruitless development on a bad video game

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

AnonSpore posted:

Kinda? My problem was less that you ended up with multiple stacks of different colored dirt and rock, and more that even identical colors would not stack.

We're sorry, but that pink sand and blue dirt is from one planet over so you can go gently caress right off trying to stack it with your other pink sand and blue dirt.

Oh hey, did they ever fix sandstone and granite only ever placing as a single color, no matter what color your stack was?

BillmasterCozb posted:

my brother pointed this out to me: "How bout instead of that, you'd place blocks and be able to color them manually"

Now see, that would make sense. And be gated farther than FTL travel.

I also loved the concept of that portable printer, but last I was paying attention to it a single lego block took as many pixels as a bar of gold was worth at the time :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The White Dragon posted:

we still have a believer who thinks we'll get the final tier of progress by 2020

i'll bring the guillotine if y'all can find me a good public square

do not kill my friend magmarashi

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Hey chuckleFish Maybe just convert your game into stardew valley

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

Hey chuckleFish Maybe just convert your game into stardew valley

Stardewvalley looks like boring rear end chore simulator poo poo and that would be no improvement over Starbound as it is right now

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

this guys an idiot

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

qnqnx posted:

Stardewvalley looks like boring rear end chore simulator poo poo and that would be no improvement over Starbound as it is right now

it really depends. do you like harvest moon games y/n? if the answer is yes, you'll enjoy it a lot! if the answer is no, then yeah, it's a boring-rear end chore simulator, but this will have always been your opinion of harvest moon games.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

it really depends. do you like harvest moon games y/n? if the answer is yes, you'll enjoy it a lot! if the answer is no, then yeah, it's a boring-rear end chore simulator, but this will have always been your opinion of harvest moon games.

If you like Harvest Moons and Rune Factories, Stardew Valley is basically as close to perfect as those sorts of games get.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Doing chores with a controller is way better than doing actual chores though

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
The combat isn't quite good enough to make it comparable to Rune Factory for me, but it's a very solid Harvest Moon equivalent yeah, to the extent where I've enjoyed it more than I did some of the more recent Harvest Moons

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is the GBA one the best harvest Moon to play now?

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Blackheart posted:

Is the GBA one the best harvest Moon to play now?

Yes Friends of Mineral Town is the best Harvest Moon game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

FluffySquirrel posted:

The combat isn't quite good enough to make it comparable to Rune Factory for me, but it's a very solid Harvest Moon equivalent yeah, to the extent where I've enjoyed it more than I did some of the more recent Harvest Moons

rune factory 3/4 still blows stardew away but it's still good and optimistic for future games on the PC

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

http://playstarbound.com/10th-march-is-this-the-rail-life/

rails, I guess

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Do you still power your spaceship with a wood furnace in this game

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FINALLY, I can remake Crash Man's stage from Mega Man 2.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I thought rails have been a thing since shortly after launch. I guess it was just some guy's mod. It was really easy to get cool mods confused with upcoming features back then.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

LordZoric posted:

I thought rails have been a thing since shortly after launch. I guess it was just some guy's mod. It was really easy to get cool mods confused with upcoming features back then.

They have been, just only for hand-held travel, not platforms

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Magmarashi posted:

They have been, just only for hand-held travel, not platforms

Yeah, that was Skyrail, like from Bioshock Infinite. This here means you can STAND on it and... I don't know, do stuff while you move.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

LordZoric posted:

You could tell that starbound devs never made railway paths because starbound development is incapable of being on track.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tengames posted:

You could tell that starbound devs never made railway paths because starbound development is incapable of being on track.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

How frustrating. "Here's a really cool creative level-building feature! Now check out how much horrible bullshit progression/resource slog we're gating it behind. Thanks for the money, fuckers!"

Tengames posted:

this is a good-rear end post tho

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Varinn posted:

Do you still power your spaceship with a wood furnace in this game

i think you stuff weird radioactive ore into the ship engine thing now

i'm not sure because i don't plan to play until they release a 1.0 thing and modders can salvage the wreck

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Tengames posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Not gonna lie, this is pretty great.

• Locked thread