Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

:allears:

If only "An indicator blinks helplessly as the vehicle drifts off" could fit into the thread title

fits equally well with inattentive drivers and accidentally-became-a-boat BMWs, too!

I see people drifting between lanes for miles with their head up their rear end and a random blinker on all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

88h88 posted:

Christ what a dangerous oval office

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S4-G8N8wWw

God drat, where did he even come from? Did he ride the shoulder to pass that truck? He already "won" by passing the dashcam car so why was he even mad? Jailtime is good but I really hope they took away his license with no chance to get it back too.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Hikaki posted:

God drat, where did he even come from? Did he ride the shoulder to pass that truck? He already "won" by passing the dashcam car so why was he even mad? Jailtime is good but I really hope they took away his license with no chance to get it back too.
My guess is he was probably mad the cammer moved to the right "too slow" after passing the truck (he didnt) and they almost had contact.

What a diiiiiiiick.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ludicro posted:

If you think those roads are bad, imagine doing them in run flat tyres and sport suspension like I have to. My traction control was going ballistic at times.

IMO it's a pretty good idea to turn traction control off in situations like that. It will just lead to you getting stuck when the car decides spinning wheels is scary and hits the brakes killing the momentum you need to get through a mud puddle or some soft ground.

Ask me how I know:

Turns out these tires arent suitable for off roading in Iceland. I begged for a better vehicle for it but this is all they would give me.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
It's the coppers! Scram!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At-ljYtmaE4

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

My favorite is when these people wipe out and get arrested

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Or the cop just looks at the dashcam to find the licence plate.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Vorkosigan posted:

Or the cop just looks at the dashcam to find the licence plate.

Unless "no plate" was the violation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can sort of see the plate as the bike speeds off, but it looks like it's angled sharply to try and make it impossible to read. Wouldn't be surprised at all if that's what he was getting lit up for, it's pretty common for bikers to think they're being clever.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I was hoping so bad for that moron to slam into the car turning left while running that light. No wonder bikers get a bad rep.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Almost ran over a cyclist tonight. I live in a fairly rural area, lots of farms, so lots of 2 lane road with no sidewalks or lighting. Driving along one of these 50mph road, when I catch a glimpse of... something in my lane so I automatically slowed. Was some dumb fucker on a black bicycle with no reflectors, wearing all black clothing. What the gently caress you moron. It was a good thing I slowed down, because just when I got close enough that my headlights showed me what was actually in the road, he decided that he really needed to be on the other side of the road, so without any sort of signal or looking back, just angled left and crossed the road in front of me to the other side.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Top Hats Monthly posted:

That split second where he's out of sight but you hear him mis-shift and blip the throttle.. I desperately expected to hear the engine start bouncing off the rev limiter, indicating he'd just laid it down.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
LOL you all can have your gore justice fantasies but you see what the cop did? That is the real talk reaction, cause he knows there is no point. Just instantly gives up.

I've seen the lights twice and not stopped and you know what happened? Nothing. I got home. Both times on a 250 too coincidentally.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's idiotic. If the cop doesn't want you, then he doesn't want you and now you're riding dangerously trying to run for no reason. If he wants you, he has your license plate on his camera and a radio to call the precinct, and you've just added evading pursuit to whatever else.

If you're riding without a license plate so you can be a moron on public roads, :thumbsup: being a super badass I guess?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You can outrun a car, but you can't outrun a Motorola.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sagebrush posted:

It's idiotic. If the cop doesn't want you, then he doesn't want you and now you're riding dangerously trying to run for no reason. If he wants you, he has your license plate on his camera and a radio to call the precinct, and you've just added evading pursuit to whatever else.

If you're riding without a license plate so you can be a moron on public roads, :thumbsup: being a super badass I guess?

KozmoNaut posted:

the Network Traffic thread is thataway

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

KozmoNaut posted:

Sure you can, on a 250. They usually aren't that into catching you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KozmoNaut posted:

Whenever I hear that phrase, I imagine the cop throwing his radio at the departing biker and knocking him off, a la Crocodile Dundee.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Whenever I hear that phrase, I imagine the cop throwing his radio at the departing biker and knocking him off, a la Crocodile Dundee.

I would love to see that actually happen, especially with one of those old 5lbs big-rear end handsets.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well, someone went and did it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Protocol7 posted:

That reads like my daily itinerary

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

nsaP posted:

LOL you all can have your gore justice fantasies but you see what the cop did? That is the real talk reaction, cause he knows there is no point. Just instantly gives up.

I've seen the lights twice and not stopped and you know what happened? Nothing. I got home. Both times on a 250 too coincidentally.

Yeah, we got that, hence our bloodlust for an rear end in a top hat, which you reveal yourself to empathize with.

The bad driving is coming from inside the thread

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Yeah, we got that, hence our bloodlust for an rear end in a top hat, which you reveal yourself to empathize with.

The bad driving is coming from inside the thread

Water wet, Earth round, nsaP rear end in a top hat

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

The Locator posted:

Almost ran over a cyclist tonight. I live in a fairly rural area, lots of farms, so lots of 2 lane road with no sidewalks or lighting. Driving along one of these 50mph road, when I catch a glimpse of... something in my lane so I automatically slowed. Was some dumb fucker on a black bicycle with no reflectors, wearing all black clothing. What the gently caress you moron. It was a good thing I slowed down, because just when I got close enough that my headlights showed me what was actually in the road, he decided that he really needed to be on the other side of the road, so without any sort of signal or looking back, just angled left and crossed the road in front of me to the other side.
This kind of poo poo happens all the time where I live.
It's part of why I drive with high beams on whenever possible at night. But also the reason why I have stopped caring about bicyclists who can't be bothered to buy a set of clip on lights at the Aldi for 2.95.
I'll make an effort to make sure they won't damage my car, but that's it.
If you don't care enough about your life to buy a couple of lights for your bike, why do you expect others to?

Same with the tossers who have those tiny 5mW led lights dangling from a lanyard and expect people to see that poo poo.
Sure technically you have light on your bicycle. But the law states that said light should be "adequate". A glowing pinhead is not adequate.

I really don't understand why people don't have a more rational sense of self-preservation.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A generation raised with such entitlement feels their safety is someone else's problem.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Go away, I'm B8in

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
From PYF, presented without comment:

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Protocol7 posted:

There's a similar one in MN, I1L1I or something like that. I think of XKCD every time I see it, which seems to be once every 4 months or so on I494.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mobby_6kl posted:

From PYF, presented without comment:

What's the maneuver called when you lose control like that? On a motorcycle it's a "tank slapper", but don't know what to call it when a four-wheeled vehicle does it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's still called a tank slapper.

There's another term for it that I forget, because I always call it a tank slapper.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Pilot induced oscillation. Wait, gently caress

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Uthor posted:

What's the maneuver called when you lose control like that? On a motorcycle it's a "tank slapper", but don't know what to call it when a four-wheeled vehicle does it.

Driver induced oscillation. If they hadn't jerked the wheel and tried to correct it repeatedly, it would have straightened out, but the weight of the driver becomes part of the resonating assembly.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That's a bit of an over-reaction.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Tailgater gets brake checked into a wreck
http://i.imgur.com/rkEyCrT.mp4

Source: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=44d_1457639797

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Literally seven posts above you, buddy.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

What's the high/low on a stuck caliper or a pad worn to rivers that made the truck pull like that under hard braking?

Def shouldn't tailgate with questionable brakes, but, alas, these are the people we share the road with.

Some days I'm very happy to be at least an hour in every direction from a four lane highway, and even more pumped that I live somewhere where a manual isn't a handicap- the most time I'll ever spend in stop and go is about three minutes. (fingerlakes, NY)

Y'all be nuts, dealing with this kinda bullshit on a daily basis.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Neither, I'd say. Just good old panic and veering because they yanked the wheel over.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Neither, I'd say. Just good old panic and veering because they yanked the wheel over.

Somehow, that's even scarier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Protocol7 posted:

And I found their Belgian cousin. Well, sort of.