Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Fry's really only facing 3 charges after all that? drat shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Doomtalker posted:

Not really. Fry is clearly mentally unstable and it serves no ones interest to lock him up for more than he needs since a lot of his issues can be fixed with therapy and medication.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if fry had received one good helldumping in his life he might have been convinced to seek the therapy that would have fixed his broke dumb brain

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

if fry had received one good helldumping in his life he might have been convinced to seek the therapy that would have fixed his broke dumb brain

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

quote:

Finicum ranched and cared for foster children on his ranch outside Colorado City, Arizona.

Well, that explains a lot. He probably wasn't even that much of a crazy person for that area.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Doomtalker posted:

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not really. Fry is clearly mentally unstable and it serves no ones interest to lock him up for more than he needs since a lot of his issues can be fixed with therapy and medication.

Once he gets better he'll still have to go on trial for his crimes. The only difference is that if he can truly apply for the insanity defense that he'll be in the hospital for an unspecified amount of time until he gets better, for which then he'll have to go on trial. So either way, he may not see the outside world for some time.

And I think the delusions will get heavier the closer and closer the Bundys come to the their trial's end. They can boast now, but you can bet they'll be crying and making GBS threads themselves once they realize all of this pointless bullshit has given them the rest of their lives in prison.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

cumshitter posted:

That is pretty funny, because Ammon just gave an interview yesterday where he chuckled at how the only law they could get him on was the 1800's one for impeding a federal agent.

http://katu.com/news/local/jailhouse-interview-ammon-bundy-says-governments-story-is-unraveling
"I've got 'em right where I want 'em" says man trapped in 6x8 concrete cell

McNerd posted:

The great irony is that Lavoy Finicum's supporters are the ones who dishonor his memory by infantilizing him. No matter that he clearly wanted to be seen as a brave man who took up arms and forced the government's hand: his legacy is a helpless victim, in over his head, a child that wandered onto a battlefield and died. The only argument left is whether the adults are to blame.

And honestly that doesn't sound too far wrong to me, but his supporters ought to pause for thought. Why does every battle in the glorious revolution boil down to "The government's kid gloves were too rough"? "The nanny state is too mean to the babies!" Is that what the movement will reduce every valiant three-percenter and noble oath-keeper to, when they make their stand? What's it say that they have to eat their own, or they wouldn't enjoy even the tiny sliver of support from the general public that they do have?
I don't think they notice that the stories they weave out of events make them sound like losers that are just constantly and definitively being owned by the other team. Saying "I'm not going to jail" and then following through with suicide by cop at least means Finicum went out on his own terms, he intended to do something and accomplished it. When the story becomes that Finicum committed no crimes and was illegally stopped and tricked into fleeing into a killzone ambush where they expertly shot him in the side to make his hands drop while he was unarmed and trying to surrender, then executed him and shot his corpse 6 more times and planted a gun on him, well, that sounds like the government thoroughly kicked his rear end. You mean they did all that, recorded it on camera, showed it to everyone, and no one is being brought up on charges? Sounds like you shouldn't gently caress with those guys, they've got this game locked down.

Obama snuck down to Texas and killed Scalia in his sleep and got away with it? Well, chalk up another victory for Obama.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
^lol

I've been thinking about Ammon bragging that he was brought up on charges from the 1870's. It's like someone making bathtub gin today and being incredulous that they're being charged on bootlegging or illegal liquor manufacturing charges from the 1920's. Basically bragging that they're so stupid they managed to commit a crime that hasn't been a problem for a century, or that they managed to contract polio in this day and age.

Yes, that's right. Just because I threatened a postman that I would kill him if he delivered mail to my street I'm being charged with a crime that was meant to prevent Southerners from interfering with federal officials during the Southern reconstruction.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Also pretty sure murder was made illegal like really early on

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Once he gets better he'll still have to go on trial for his crimes. The only difference is that if he can truly apply for the insanity defense that he'll be in the hospital for an unspecified amount of time until he gets better, for which then he'll have to go on trial. So either way, he may not see the outside world for some time.

And I think the delusions will get heavier the closer and closer the Bundys come to the their trial's end. They can boast now, but you can bet they'll be crying and making GBS threads themselves once they realize all of this pointless bullshit has given them the rest of their lives in prison.

If previous sovereign trials are any indication, they will never ever ever realize that until the end of the trial. They'll probably expect Jury Nullification.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

theflyingorc posted:

If previous sovereign trials are any indication, they will never ever ever realize that until the end of the trial. They'll probably expect Jury Nullification.

they'll also sit in prison afterwards and think about how corrupt the system is that placed them there

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Knight posted:

I don't think they notice that the stories they weave out of events make them sound like losers that are just constantly and definitively being owned by the other team. Saying "I'm not going to jail" and then following through with suicide by cop at least means Finicum went out on his own terms, he intended to do something and accomplished it. When the story becomes that Finicum committed no crimes and was illegally stopped and tricked into fleeing into a killzone ambush where they expertly shot him in the side to make his hands drop while he was unarmed and trying to surrender, then executed him and shot his corpse 6 more times and planted a gun on him, well, that sounds like the government thoroughly kicked his rear end. You mean they did all that, recorded it on camera, showed it to everyone, and no one is being brought up on charges? Sounds like you shouldn't gently caress with those guys, they've got this game locked down.

Obama snuck down to Texas and killed Scalia in his sleep and got away with it? Well, chalk up another victory for Obama.

It sure explains what kind of giant loser thinks Donald Trump can make them more of a political winner than they currently are. It's all relative, I guess. I don't know if there's still a Trump Steak somewhere in the world that's been frozen for the last decade, but I'd eat it rare before I'd touch a Bundy steak.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

McNerd posted:

It sure explains what kind of giant loser thinks Donald Trump can make them more of a political winner than they currently are. It's all relative, I guess. I don't know if there's still a Trump Steak somewhere in the world that's been frozen for the last decade, but I'd eat it rare before I'd touch a Bundy steak.

it's real fun right now because a decent number of trump supporters literally think he's going to immediately genocide all the non-whites

if he got elected he'd disappoint racists the same way Obama disappointed the left

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

McNerd posted:

The great irony is that Lavoy Finicum's supporters are the ones who dishonor his memory by infantilizing him. No matter that he clearly wanted to be seen as a brave man who took up arms and forced the government's hand: his legacy is a helpless victim, in over his head, a child that wandered onto a battlefield and died. The only argument left is whether the adults are to blame.

And honestly that doesn't sound too far wrong to me, but his supporters ought to pause for thought. Why does every battle in the glorious revolution boil down to "The government's kid gloves were too rough"? "The nanny state is too mean to the babies!" Is that what the movement will reduce every valiant three-percenter and noble oath-keeper to, when they make their stand? What's it say that they have to eat their own, or they wouldn't enjoy even the tiny sliver of support from the general public that they do have?

They are a bunch of children threatening to run away from home and when they get to the driveway every car they think that every car that drives by is a pedo. Except instead of realizing how good they got it now they think their parents are pesos too

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

A Winner is Jew posted:

If the justice system treated other mentally ill offenders in a similar matter I'd say you have a point, but if they're going to give him treatment in lieu of conviction it really just comes off as more of the government treating this whole boondoggle with kid gloves so as to not piss off the militia movement.

I mean, if he was poor and/or a minority without a bunch of armed rednecks backing him the justice department wouldn't bat an eye at handing down a stiff sentence and then locking him away in solitary confinement for the majority of his time in prison the way they do with pretty much any other mentally ill offender.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Geoj posted:

I mean, if he was poor and/or a minority without a bunch of armed rednecks backing him the justice department wouldn't bat an eye at handing down a stiff sentence and then locking him away in solitary confinement for the majority of his time in prison the way they do with pretty much any other mentally ill offender.
David Fry is poor and a minority

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

McNerd posted:

The alternative is to face the fact that all their talk of the great battle was nothing but bluster. They sat around a town, bullying people for nothing, then, when the evil government decided to make a move, they were decapitated and crushed in one night with next to no resistance. Finicum was the only one to try fighting, and he was killed before he had a chance to draw his gun.

It'd show that their fantasies completely crumble in the face of real opposition and that the evil empire did everything in their power to keep from using force rather than brutally oppress them, leaving them humiliated and completely defanged. They jump to victimhood in a pitiful attempt to save face, trying to turn Finicum into their martyr to sell it. If not, then they'd basically admit to their supporters that they're not freedom fighters, just loudmouthed hicks with delusions of grandeur.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

theflyingorc posted:

You skimmed over the "bunch of armed rednecks supporting him" part.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Geoj posted:

O...K?

The FBI isn't really behaving differently than they normally do, but whatever. Federal sentencing is pretty consistent.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Geoj posted:

Also, the bunch of armed rednecks don't support him

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

His dad is a dentist with enough money to go on nice long vacation. Fry's poverty is self inflicted because he's a loving loser who can't handle doing anything more taxing than odd jobs for his dad.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Fry's still looking at 10-15 years if he has a good day in court. More if the judge gets pissed off. He's lucky in that he'll probably get out before he turns 50.

Rest of these guys will be carried out of prison.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GameCube posted:

Also, the bunch of armed rednecks don't support him

Yeah, I wonder about his wild card move at the end of the occupation and subsequent rant about UFOs and how he's not really a Christian etc and if it hurt his standing with that community. Even the people talking to him on the phone during those last moments kinda gave up on him and realized how crazy he was. It wouldn't surprise me if they distanced themselves from him. And, after a little mental care and medication from the feds and possible abandonment from the 'patriots' it wouldn't surprise me for him to turn on them and give up info for a plea. Though now I'm remembering the document he gave to his attorney.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

OAquinas posted:

Fry's still looking at 10-15 years if he has a good day in court. More if the judge gets pissed off. He's lucky in that he'll probably get out before he turns 50.

Rest of these guys will be carried out of prison.

I'm not about Fry skipping prison in liue of getting treatment, but I think he shouldn't serve anywhere near as long as most of the other people while also getting the treatment he needs.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm not about Fry skipping prison in liue of getting treatment, but I think he shouldn't serve anywhere near as long as most of the other people while also getting the treatment he needs.

10-15 years is the "nice" version of what he could be serving. If the judge throws the book or gets pissed off he could probably double that. I think the theoretical minimum allowed if he gets the absolute lightest is 5 years. Therapy and counseling will obviously be a component of whatever is handed down (I sincerely hope).

All these other chucklefucks will be getting sentences starting at 20 years and ramping up to the 3 digits.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

theflyingorc posted:

I'm expecting Ammon to come in, hold up a pocket Constitution, and except everything to be dismissed with damages awards to himself for saying the magic word of "Constitution".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

OAquinas posted:

10-15 years is the "nice" version of what he could be serving. If the judge throws the book or gets pissed off he could probably double that. I think the theoretical minimum allowed if he gets the absolute lightest is 5 years. Therapy and counseling will obviously be a component of whatever is handed down (I sincerely hope).

All these other chucklefucks will be getting sentences starting at 20 years and ramping up to the 3 digits.
Fry might not get the nice version sonce his grievances are mostly about how they took his pot away, and cited him for not wearing a life jacket.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Is it true Fry made the FBI shout "hallelujah" before he would surrender?

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Not only true, but streamed live on the interbutts!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WebOMORDX-A

Yes. The FBI shouts hallelujah at around 1:34.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Knight posted:

Invisibility is but one of the many great and terrible powers Obama has had ever since he donned the Jade Helm he found buried beneath the Texan soil last year.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

McNerd posted:

And honestly that doesn't sound too far wrong to me, but his supporters ought to pause for thought.

See this requires that they actually think about... well anything really, which is never going to happen.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

He progressively asked for less and less, starting with "TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT THE UFO'S" and continuing to "I JUST WANT MY drat MARIJUANA" and then "i'm hungry how about a pizza" and then "look just say hallelujah"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

I'm expecting Ammon to come in, hold up a pocket Constitution, and except everything to be dismissed with damages awards to himself for saying the magic word of "Constitution".

One old guy's weird trick, judges HATE him!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Invisibility is but one of the many great and terrible powers Obama has had ever since he donned the Jade Helm he found buried beneath the Texan soil last year.

Have you even kept up with Spider-Man, bro? Miles Morales can turn invisible and "venom sting" his opponents to win.

Maybe Obama is a 16 year old half-black Spider-Man, is what I'm suggesting.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ryanjhaas/status/708085355556110336

lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

During an interview with investigators about the shooting death of Robert “LaVoy” Finicum, an OSP officer said officials were originally considering a location in Grant County for the traffic stop operation, a newly released investigation report shows.

Had the stop occurred in Grant County, then the group would have been closer to Sheriff Glenn Palmer, and the entire interaction would have taken place within Palmer’s jurisdiction.

And that’s exactly why law enforcement opted not to make the traffic stop within Grant County boundaries, said the OSP officer, identified in the documents as “Officer No. 1.”

Law enforcement designed the Jan. 26 stop to arrest leaders of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupation.

“I knew going into it that there was a sheriff in Grant County that was supporting the movement or the ideology behind what [the occupiers] were pushing,” Officer No. 1 told investigators.

“I knew that there was a large amount of community members in Grant County that supported their beliefs … for a very simple way to put it it, they were not friendly to law enforcement conducting any enforcement actions, and mainly the Federal Bureau of Investigation and federal agencies,” the officer said.

The change of plan, which was coordinated by the FBI and OSP, is noteworthy because the militant group was reportedly planning to meet with Palmer.

In video released this week, Finicum can be heard yelling out the window of his parked truck to OSP officers.

“I’m going over to meet with the Sheriff in Grant County,” Finicum shouted. “You can come along with us and talk with us over there.”

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burn...uzq_6K0.twitter

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Cliven Bundy Refuses To Enter Plea In Nevada US Court

Jailed rancher Cliven Bundy refused to acknowledge federal authority and declined to enter a plea in a U.S. court to criminal charges that he that he led an armed standoff against federal agents two years ago.

Amid confusion about whether Bundy has a lawyer, a federal magistrate judge entered a not guilty plea on Thursday on Bundy’s behalf and scheduled a detention hearing March 17.

Arguments then will focus on whether the 69-year-old Bundy should remain in custody pending trial on 16 charges including conspiracy, assault and threatening a federal officer, obstruction and firearms offenses.

Convictions could get him life in prison.

Joel Hansen, an attorney who has represented property rights advocates in other cases around Nevada, served as Bundy’s attorney.

But Hansen says that’s temporary, and Bundy plans to get another trial lawyer.

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/cliven-bundy-refuses-to-enter-plea-nevada-court/

Blatzmobile
Nov 1, 2012

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

He progressively asked for less and less, starting with "TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT THE UFO'S" and continuing to "I JUST WANT MY drat MARIJUANA" and then "i'm hungry how about a pizza" and then "look just say hallelujah"

Did he get his hug from that buxom Nevada state rep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ha! Blanket order saying the court won't even bother to read sovcit magic words bullshit from now on!