Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Followup question to the blown head gasket situation:

The shop can't get me in until next week. Will it hurt the engine to sit with a bad gasket for that long? It's already been ~10 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
It should be ok sitting unless some crazy bmw alloy block

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was rummaging around under the hood, trying to identify the cause of the rattly/resonance-y sound my Peugeot 406 (2.2L EW12J4) makes at ~1900 RPM, when I noticed this hose looking a bit worse for wear.

Which hose is this, in the middle of the picture? It seems to be going to the air filter box, but I'm not 100% sure. Some kind of ventilation? I assume it's not the PCV hose, as everything around it is completely dry and devoid of oil etc.

(Click for embiggening)

Since there is no hose clamp on it, I assume it isn't vital to performance or economy or anything of that nature. But I would still love to know what it is :-)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 8, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's the latest models though. I'm looking at cars from the years I linked toward and not the most newest ones. I can't afford the newest versions. If I had $12,000 to spend I'd probably get a used Prius. Looking at your image though then the Yaris does seem pretty lovely in comparison to the other cars when it comes to the newer models.

Here buy this boring crapcan. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767422

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Someone talk to me about flushing the radiator/coolant system on a car and whether or not you can use water or whether or not that's a dumb idea. The rest of the internet appears to be in two minds about this y'see but I want to do it properly and get poo poo as clean as I can because the 7M-GE is apparently a timebomb if the cooling system isn't kept sweet.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You really shouldn't use a hose but on a s10 I did. Just ran it on top with lower radiator hose off. I mean it's better than nothing but not contamination free either.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Coolant already has pH buffers etc. in sufficient quantities to deal with a small amount of tap water left behind after a flush. Just make sure that you aren't leaving the cooling system half-full of tap water.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't done it myself, but I thought the accepted procedure was to do the initial flushes with tap water, a final flush with distilled, then fill with coolant.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
When I've done a flush on an old engine in the past, the water hose ran dirty for a long time. Longer than I'd have been able to flush with anything other than a hose.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Any recommendations for a good value but not poo poo all season tire for my fiance's 2001 Saturn? I have the winter tires on the oem wheels, and picked up a second set to mount the 3 season ones on. Just need to decide on tires.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I like my DWS's.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS

EDIT: I think these are the new ones and are even better rated at the moment.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS+06

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 8, 2016

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Where should I take my 2008 Saab in Denver for: oil change, leaky... Power steering (maybe) and failed parking sensors?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yea they don't come in Saturn sizes, haha. They might be a little much for the kind of car it is anyway. The Continental Trucontacts will fit though if those are decent?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...C2&autoModClar=

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Any recommendations for a good value but not poo poo all season tire for my fiance's 2001 Saturn? I have the winter tires on the oem wheels, and picked up a second set to mount the 3 season ones on. Just need to decide on tires.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a set of Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s when I get paid in the middle of the month for my Focus. I don't have any first hand experience with them, but they have a decent rating on Tirerack and they came in #2 of 4 on an all season tire test they ran (losing to a set of Kuhmo Ecstas and edging out tires from Firestone and Fuzion.) Their summary was "An acceptable, if not category-leading, blend of characteristics."

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Geoj posted:

I'm going to pull the trigger on a set of Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s when I get paid in the middle of the month for my Focus. I don't have any first hand experience with them, but they have a decent rating on Tirerack and they came in #2 of 4 on an all season tire test they ran (losing to a set of Kuhmo Ecstas and edging out tires from Firestone and Fuzion.) Their summary was "An acceptable, if not category-leading, blend of characteristics."

Hey thanks, I like that price a lot better, and they do fit the car. Will have to look at them a little more.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Godholio posted:

Douglas is made by Goodyear, but apparently using obsolete tech/designs/equipment. I wouldn't use it on a daily driver but it's probably fine for what you described.
Kumho has a really good reputation, right? Turns out Walmart stocks these:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumho-SOLUS-TA11-Tire-205-75R14-95T/45693058

While they hit the wallet harder if they'd last longer / be a better ride it'd be worth it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've never owned Kumhos, but they seem to have a good rep. See if you can find any reviews of the specific tires online. I'm not sure what you'll find, since you're looking at docile street tires for your truck and most of the people who care about truck tires are shopping more off-road oriented tires, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Godholio posted:

See if you can find any reviews of the specific tires online. I'm not sure what you'll find, since you're looking at docile street tires for your truck and most of the people who care about truck tires are shopping more off-road oriented tires, though.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Solus+TA11

Wet traction could be better. Otherwise, they're okay.

quote:

Kumho's Solus TA11 played its part without drawing any unnecessary attention to itself, offering predictable driving dynamics and agreeable ride characteristics.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 9, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've been happy with every set of Kumho tires I've owned, including the set of Discount-rebranded Kumhos I have on my WJ right now. They probably won't be best-in-class but they'll be safe, reliable, and usually damned affordable too.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I've got kumho all seasons on my civic and I can't complain at all. I was broke as poo poo when I needed new tires and they were like 400 mounted with a warranty at discount tire.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Electrical question here.

I was replacing the head unit in my 04 Malibu (which I've done before) and something went wrong. I got the new unit wired in, turned on the ACC circuit, it fired up and works. I pulled the unit out of the console, it starts flickering then dies. Turns out I did a poor crimping job, a few wires got exposed including the yellow 12V lead. Don't ask me why I didn't solder, I'm still asking myself that.

Now I think I got some kind of short because the battery drains really drat fast. I can start and run the car is if the wiring harness is unplugged. If the harness is plugged in (without the head unit mind you) then trying to start the car causes all the circuits to die. Only thing that fixes it is disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

The only wires I messed with are in the console, I didn't touch the motor save for disconnecting the air manifold to get at the battery.

I tested the harness with a multimeter and NONE of the wires test continuous to ground, except the ground pins of course. Where do I even begin diagnosing this?
I'm just praying the new HU is still OK.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Fuel injector cleaner: use it or no?

Just got offered some by a jiffy lube tech and have literally never been offered it before by anyone. 2011 KIA Forte with low mileage.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

a primate posted:

Fuel injector cleaner: use it or no?

Just got offered some by a jiffy lube tech and have literally never been offered it before by anyone. 2011 KIA Forte with low mileage.
That's literally the last person you would want to take advice from. Take any upsells offered at a quick oil change place like that as a baldfaced lie coming from someone who doesn't know what what they're saying would mean anyway. It's pretty much automotive snake oil. These are the type of people who would tell you, for example, something's hosed with your power steering on a car that doesn't even have power steering.

So what I'm saying is no, it's a waste of money at best. Your car is fine.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 10, 2016

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

notZaar posted:

Electrical question here.

I was replacing the head unit in my 04 Malibu (which I've done before) and something went wrong. I got the new unit wired in, turned on the ACC circuit, it fired up and works. I pulled the unit out of the console, it starts flickering then dies. Turns out I did a poor crimping job, a few wires got exposed including the yellow 12V lead. Don't ask me why I didn't solder, I'm still asking myself that.

Now I think I got some kind of short because the battery drains really drat fast. I can start and run the car is if the wiring harness is unplugged. If the harness is plugged in (without the head unit mind you) then trying to start the car causes all the circuits to die. Only thing that fixes it is disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

The only wires I messed with are in the console, I didn't touch the motor save for disconnecting the air manifold to get at the battery.

I tested the harness with a multimeter and NONE of the wires test continuous to ground, except the ground pins of course. Where do I even begin diagnosing this?
I'm just praying the new HU is still OK.

I had a similar problem that turned out to be a pinched wire - got between the back of the radio and a metal brace in the dash. Some radio harnesses also have a power antenna wire or an amp turn-on wire that needs to be taped off too.

There are some strange fuses in those GM cars - I had a Cobalt once where the battery was hooked up backwards and blew up the head unit. Some of the fusable links were blown. GM really likes to have multiple fuseboxes in weird spots too.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Godholio posted:

I've never owned Kumhos, but they seem to have a good rep. See if you can find any reviews of the specific tires online. I'm not sure what you'll find, since you're looking at docile street tires for your truck and most of the people who care about truck tires are shopping more off-road oriented tires, though.

I had stock kumho solus tires on my veloster. I used to use them on my blazer too. They are ok tires but not great. The solus was so bad on the veloster I gave them away at 2000 miles when I got the kumho le's in which are much higher on their scale. The lower end kumho's tend to suck in heavy rain.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Veloster+Turbo

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My brother's Viper-owning coworkers were trying to goad him into LS-swapping a Miata. I know that's among the most boring vanilla motors to drop into stuff, and I talked him out of it when I tallied up $18K worth of parts before you've even bought the car or the motor or the transmission (I tallied up all the stuff Flyin' Miata recommends).

He kinda wants a Miata anyhow. What would be an interesting, relatively inexpensive motor to drop in, if he wanted to go that route?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You do realize the lm7 is like $750 and 5.3L lsx basically?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If the cost of recommended LS swap parts is too high, any other engine swap is going to cost even more, except maaaaaybe a K-series. Most cost-effective power is going to be shoving ungodly amounts of boost through the Mazda engine.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Safety Dance posted:

What would be an interesting, relatively inexpensive motor to drop in, if he wanted to go that route?

You know what you must do. If all the official stuff is too expensive, make your own adapters and re-use the factory truck manifolds and accessories and intake and such. You can spend as much or as little as you want, depending on how much work you want to put into it. What stuff would you need to buy for an LS swap that you wouldn't have to buy for a different swap, anyway?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Raluek posted:

You know what you must do. If all the official stuff is too expensive, make your own adapters and re-use the factory truck manifolds and accessories and intake and such. You can spend as much or as little as you want, depending on how much work you want to put into it. What stuff would you need to buy for an LS swap that you wouldn't have to buy for a different swap, anyway?

New transmission and rear differential and supporting subframes, etc.

Easy mode would be finding a wrecked something that fits in a Miata, machining some motor mount adapters and an adapter plate for the transmission, swapping over 'lectrics where necessary, turn key and go weep.

If he's still thinking about it in a week, a J35 swap seems pretty reasonable and well documented.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Just have him boost it to the moon.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
What trans do K-swap miatas use? Stock + adapter plate?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
13B.

Comedy answer: 20B.

Wish list answer: 26B.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I have what is half a stupid question and half a request for validation of a bad decision.

I'm looking at buying a Citroen Dispatch (light van for those outside Europe) with the Peugeot 2.0 HDi engine that has 150k miles on the clock. All ok so far - those engines are good for high miles. However the current owner has no proof of when the timing belt was last done, althpough he claims it was done when he bought it (~110k miles) Chances are at 150k it has been done it the last 50k miles or so, otherwise it probably wouldn't still be running.

Do I take a chance and get it inspected ASAP then changed if needed (the price is good enough that this isn't a huge deal), or do I run the gently caress away?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Blacknose posted:

I have what is half a stupid question and half a request for validation of a bad decision.

I'm looking at buying a Citroen Dispatch (light van for those outside Europe) with the Peugeot 2.0 HDi engine that has 150k miles on the clock. All ok so far - those engines are good for high miles. However the current owner has no proof of when the timing belt was last done, althpough he claims it was done when he bought it (~110k miles) Chances are at 150k it has been done it the last 50k miles or so, otherwise it probably wouldn't still be running.

Do I take a chance and get it inspected ASAP then changed if needed (the price is good enough that this isn't a huge deal), or do I run the gently caress away?

If you like the van, buy it and have it done for the peace of mind.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Yeah that's pretty much my feelings too. Cheers for the input.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I mixed Mercon V with Dex/Merc in my 2011 Ford ranger. How badly did I screw up? The Dipstick says use Mercon V and I thought the Dex/Merc was compatible.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Stupid tire question:

Tore a sidewall on my car the other night (misjudged a curb on an unlit street). I know I should replace both, but is there any reason to go with Discount Tire rather than Tire Rack and have them shipped to a local installer? And do the installer recommendations from Tire Rack make a difference? Price difference will be about $50. Or is there a third option that's even better?

Tires in question are these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+%28W-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=145WR8HTRASP02XL&i1_Qty=2
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?r=TSWINT%7Cpc%7C77019&frmcart=true&pc=43572&ar=45&rd=18&cs=215

Yes, it's the cheapest tire from each - I work from home and am only in my car about 4 days a week, freeways less than once a week any more.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Stupid tire question:

Tore a sidewall on my car the other night (misjudged a curb on an unlit street). I know I should replace both, but is there any reason to go with Discount Tire rather than Tire Rack and have them shipped to a local installer? And do the installer recommendations from Tire Rack make a difference? Price difference will be about $50. Or is there a third option that's even better?

Tires in question are these:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+%28W-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=145WR8HTRASP02XL&i1_Qty=2
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?r=TSWINT%7Cpc%7C77019&frmcart=true&pc=43572&ar=45&rd=18&cs=215

Yes, it's the cheapest tire from each - I work from home and am only in my car about 4 days a week, freeways less than once a week any more.

I've never used anything but discount tire - I like that they are competitive on price and offer free balance/rotation with the tires. I work right near one of their locations so it makes it super easy to get service done at the right intervals.

So if you're near a discount tire or similar shop it might be worth looking into. I'm not sure if other shops/tire rack have any kind of service included in the price like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Tirerack has good prices sometimes but their shipping usually kills the deal.