Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

That's a really misleading headline.

"“I don’t see a time when we can form a coalition with the Liberal party, particularly this Liberal party, because our views are so far apart,” he said."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

hooman posted:

That's a really misleading headline.

"“I don’t see a time when we can form a coalition with the Liberal party, particularly this Liberal party, because our views are so far apart,” he said."

the blue-green tide is spreading.........................................

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

LibertyCat posted:

Aren't they free to return to their home countries at any time?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
No First Dog, but I do have something many of you have been waiting for:

Brand new kittens.

Hopefully future doggings will come with more kitten pictures, depending on how much Sable (mother cat) tries to hide them.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

LibertyCat posted:

Teachers and nurses aren't in short supply. If they were salaries would rise until the problem corrected itself.

Some teachers are. Try finding a LOTE teacher outside of State capitols. Know how much more they are paid? between 10-100 a fortnight extra locality allowance

It's been in constant demand for years, teacher availabiility has no effect on the cost, despite some areas being very populated (primary teachers, high school P.E teachers etc.) and some having so much demand that unqualified teachers have to be put in their stead.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 10, 2016

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

You could apply this argument to global warming debate as well to be honest.

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 10, 2016

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

LibertyCat posted:

Teachers and nurses aren't in short supply. If they were salaries would rise until the problem corrected itself.

Since I don't know Australian labour history, have governments in Australia imposed contracts and/or used back to work legislation against striking workers before?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah they just used the army against them.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

A bit late, but it was good to see the Tele having a hissyfit over Windsor coming back.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Graic Gabtar posted:

Let's see about now.

Methinks that if this was an internal report about our Border Security friends you would be going fifteen types of ape poo poo about now.

Monetizing misery is poo poo no matter which side of the fence you sit on.

I think I mentioned that once, but it ended up about me and something to do with fire.

That's sad to see if the allegations about Kon Karapanagiotidis​ are true. I've heard him heaps of times on RRR radio and he really cares for the plight of asylum seekers.

In some ways it must be disheartening to see the treatment of asylum seekers by both the government and media, but that doesn't mean you let those frustrations out on co workers and volunteers.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Zenithe posted:

Some teachers are. Try finding a LOTE teacher outside of State capitols. Know how much more they are paid? between 10-100 a fortnight extra locality allowance

It's been in constant demand for years, teacher availabiility has no effect on the cost, despite some areas being very populated (primary teachers, high school P.E teachers etc.) and some having so much demand that unqualified teachers have to be put in their stead.

He's actually kind of right. WA instituted extra funds to find teachers for STEM subjects because of a shortage. They even hired a good thousand teachers or so directly from the UK and the hole still grows. Sometimes you just have to offer more money. A lot more money.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Konomex posted:

He's actually kind of right. WA instituted extra funds to find teachers for STEM subjects because of a shortage. They even hired a good thousand teachers or so directly from the UK and the hole still grows. Sometimes you just have to offer more money. A lot more money.

Counterpoint, money isn't enough of an incentive to live in WA.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Konomex posted:

I remember a few years back the Vic government cracked the sads because WA was boasting about making their teachers the highest paid in the country to lure more over from the eastern states.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

lol

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

Further proof we can't afford to change negative gearing.

Actually we can't afford to continue an absurd property bubble which perpetuates a generational shift in wealth, as baby boomers own swathes of real estate and their own children are forced to rent in sharehouses into their 30s.

But you're a troll and you already know that.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

freebooter posted:

Actually we can't afford to continue an absurd property bubble which perpetuates a generational shift in wealth, as baby boomers own swathes of real estate and their own children are forced to rent in sharehouses into their 30s.

But you're a troll and you already know that.

I just assumed it was sarcasm.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Libertycat spotted!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-11/homeless-man-has-throat-slashed-sleeping-in-sydney-cbd/7238978

quote:

Homeless man's throat slashed while sleeping in Sydney's CBD Updated 24 minutes ago

Police are searching for a suspect who slashed the throat of homeless man while he was sleeping in Sydney's CBD. The victim was sleeping on the footpath with another homeless man when the attacker crouched over him and slit his throat yesterday, police said. Officers said the 37-year-old suffered a "substantial" wound. He was taken to St Vincent's Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery. He is currently in a stable condition. The suspect was last seen running east on Wynyard Street towards George Street. He was described as wearing a dark hooded top and jeans. Police have warned the city's homeless community to be vigilant and urged members of the public to look out for suspicious behaviour around people sleeping on the streets.

Why aren't NSW LNP getting a drubbing in the press?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-10/parramatta-jail-could-be-reopened-under-nsw-government-plans/7238084

quote:

Parramatta jail could be reopened to deal with prison overcrowding under NSW Government plans By State Political Reporter Sarah Gerathy Posted yesterday at 7:02pm

The NSW Government is considering reopening the historic Parramatta jail in Sydney's western suburbs to help ease overcrowding in the prison system. The ABC understands that the Government has costed the option of reopening the jail, which has been shut since 2011. In response to the ABC's questions, the Corrections Minister David Elliot provided the following one-line statement. "The Government is considering a number of options to respond to the growth of the prison population." His office did not deny that Parramatta was a strong contender, but said a final decision had not been made. The Government had previously flagged it was considering reopening more prisons to cope with overcrowding in the system, but did not reveal that Parramatta was an option. In November last year, an Auditor General's report found that on average NSW prisons hold more than 11,000 prisoners each day. Official capacity is 9,829. In February, the Government announced 1,600 new prison beds at Parklea and a redeveloped Grafton jail to cope with the record number of prisoners.

However reopening Parramatta jail could be complicated by the fact that a local Aboriginal Land Council was given ownership of the site in February last year. :laugh:

So if you like Schadenfreude:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-11/cassidy-abbott,-credlin-and-the-abuse-of-power/7237386

quote:

Abbott, Credlin and the abuse of power OPINION By Barrie Cassidy Updated 39 minutes ago

To dismiss Niki Savva's book, The Road to Ruin, as scuttlebutt or to just focus on rumours that Tony Abbott and Peta Credlin had an affair is an insult to all those involved who spoke up about the real issue - the abuse of power. Barrie Cassidy writes.

The two elected prime ministers who fell the fastest were Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbott. Neither survived a first term, cut down by their own. Why do you think that happened? What was the common thread? The answer is straightforward. They gave extraordinary and dangerous authority to their staff. On top of that, in the case of Abbott - as forensically and convincingly told by Niki Savva in her book, The Road to Ruin - the key staffer, the chief of staff, Peta Credlin, used that "outsourced power" ruthlessly and indiscriminately, subjecting ministers and staff "to regular tirades, replete with vile language". In Rudd's case, he took care of the abuse himself. The great pity with the release of The Road to Ruin is that the distraction around rumours that Abbott and Credlin were having an affair, robbed the more essential debate - around abuse of power - of the oxygen it deserved.

Neither did it get enough attention when Rudd transgressed. As I argued in my 2010 book, The Party Thieves, the more Rudd's popularity soared, the more he ruled alone, taking only sycophantic advice and being answerable to no one - not the party, the executive, the Cabinet or the caucus. MPs complained they were either ignored or abused. Abbott and Credlin though turned that into an art form. The media has focused largely on the visit Senator Concetta Fierravanti-Wells made to both Abbott and Credlin raising concerns that many people inside the Government believed they were having an affair. The minister worried that the complex relationship between the two was having a detrimental impact on their lives, on their ability to do their jobs, and on the standing of the Government, and that's why she told Credlin she should go. That's an important conversation, confirmed by the minister. It's not rumour or innuendo. It happened. To suggest that it should not have been in the book is ridiculous. But the telling of that conversation has distracted from so many other well informed anecdotes and experiences that go to the heart of why Abbott failed. That is, Credlin's abuse of both power and people. Here are some examples.

Fiona Telford: Previously, a Victorian-based press secretary who joined the office of Helen Coonan in 2007.

She says the belittling, the intimidation by Credlin, began early, with name calling and finger pointing in front of colleagues. It built to intolerable levels. She was eventually given a dressing down by Credlin who called her "a loving useless bitch". She went home in tears, and says in the book that she fell into a state of anxiety and depression that lasted for more than three years.

Suzanne Kasprzak: An executive assistant. She had handled John Howard's diary for five years and built a reputation as a stalwart and an absolute professional.

For whatever reason Credlin turned on her. According to Kasprzak, Credlin "would go into her office, close the door and start yelling at her. It happened time and again, with Credlin shouting at her that she was moody, she was inefficient, people were complaining about her. On it went." Eventually Abbott called her into his office, told her he had never been better served by anybody, but because of a restructure, she had to go. He gave her a bunch of flowers which she threw in the bin.

Murray Cranston: A devoted long time staffer.

Towards the end of 2012 he told Credlin in front of a full staff meeting that she was the problem; that her mood swings and treatment of junior staff had a dramatic effect on morale. They were tired of being yelled at or sworn at. Credlin fled the room in tears, closely followed by Abbott. The advance man in the office, Richard Dowdy, told staffers he saw the prime minister-in-waiting sitting outside on the kerb of a busy Sydney street, trying to calm down his inconsolable chief of staff. Rather than take Cranston's judgment on board, Abbott counselled him and insisted he buy Credlin a bunch of flowers as an apology. When he presented them, Credlin tossed them aside.

Another staffer, Claire Kimball, had the courage to tell Abbott as she left that he would end up "friendless, policy-less, a national joke, with Peta Credlin still hanging off you".

Senator Fierravanti-Wells told Credlin: "One day Tony will be sitting on a park bench in Manly feeding the pigeons, and he will blame you."

See the pattern? So many people prepared to put their names to these events. Yet the book is being dismissed as scuttlebutt. What an insult to all those involved. And to argue, as some have, that Credlin is being unfairly singled out because she is a woman, is an insult as well; to all those women who have been the victim of sexism. The behaviour so graphically described by staff would be intolerable coming from anybody, male or female. There is no gender issue here. It is nonsense too for Credlin to write that she hopes "this doesn't put off smart women from joining the political fray". Smart women should have no such fears, provided they don't behave as she did. And provided some prime minister into the future does not do what both Rudd and Abbott did: give staffers the authority and clout of the most senior ministers.

Some have argued - and they did in support of Rudd - that those around politicians should toughen up. Abuse comes with the territory. I despair that some journalists coming into the political system in the last 10 years might feel that this kind of behaviour has always been the norm. It never was, not until Rudd came onto the scene, and then Abbott after him. Consider the two most successful long term governments since Bob Menzies - those of Bob Hawke and John Howard. Both administrations were characterised by civility and order within their office structures. It's helpful to look back at key people in Hawke's office, people I worked closely with; the policy advisers. Ross Garnaut (now professor of economics at ANU), Peter Harris (now Chairman of the Productivity Commission), Rod Sims (now Chairman of the ACCC), Sandy Hollway (CEO of the Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games), Dennis Richardson (Ambassador to the US and now head of the Department of Defence), John Bowan (who became Ambassador to Germany), Craig Emerson (who became Minister for Trade) and Stephen Sedgwick (who became Secretary of the Department of Finance). All of them operated with freedom and autonomy, and they did their jobs superbly. None of them would have tolerated a single individual wielding the power that Credlin did; they would not have stood back and allowed the abuse and the intimidation to go on. And neither should they have. By contrast, what will become of those who lived the Abbott experience under Credlin's control?

That's the real lesson of Savva's amazing book. And it was the real lesson of the Rudd downfall as well. How power and authority was used and abused. Absolute power, in Credlin's case, did not corrupt, but it did lead to a deeply flawed system. Absolute power flawed the system absolutely. Rudd and Abbott fell so rapidly. Hawke and Howard prospered for years. What a pity it will be for future governments if the earlier experiences are forgotten; and the more recent lessons are lost as well in a narrow partisan and bitter row over a rumoured affair.

Not Oz but :allears:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-10/pro-gun-us-woman-jamie-gilt-shot-in-back-by-4yo-son/7235802

quote:

Pro-gun US woman shot in back by 4yo son after she boasted about his marksmanship Updated yesterday at 12:02pm

A four-year-old boy has accidentally shot his mother in the back, leaving the passionately pro-gun woman seriously wounded and facing possible charges, Florida officials said. Staunch gun advocate Jamie Gilt, 31, who just a day earlier had boasted online about her toddler's shooting prowess, was cruising down a highway with her son in the back when he shot her. The bullet went through the seat cushion. "Our investigation has revealed that the firearm was legally owned by the victim and the child came to possess the firearm without the victim's knowledge," Putnam County Sheriff's Office said in a statement. Ms Gilt, who is in a stable condition, was so badly wounded that police have been unable to talk to her from her hospital bed.

But they warned that she could face police action after they work out exactly how the boy — who was unharmed and is now with relatives — got his hands on the gun. "Florida statute makes it a misdemeanour for a person to store or leave, on a premise under his or her control, a loaded firearm in such a manner that it is likely a child can gain access to the firearm," said the statement. "Due to her medical condition, detectives have not been able to interview the victim and any decision on the filing of criminal charges will not come until after we speak with the victim." What appears to be Ms Gilt's Facebook page suggests she is a passionate supporter of the right to bear arms, including pictures of her with weapons. On Monday she concluded a discussion on Facebook about possessing weapons for self-defence by boasting: "Even my 4-year-old gets jacked up to target shoot the .22."

In closing, don't touch the 9009.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It shouldn't shock me that a bully boy like Abbott's Chief of Staff was also a bully, but that any of that was seen as professional conduct blows my mind.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

EvilElmo posted:

Just when they replace retiring females with males.. oh.. wait..

When they sell out their core vales.. oh wait..

When they forget their roots in environmentalism unionism in the pursuit of wider electoral engagement.. oh wait..

Good to see you're becoming the party you hate.

Did you end up getting a new watch?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

When did Service NSW (amalgamation of RTA and other stuff) get improved service? I went there yesterday and they seem to really have put effort into making it better. I'm such a cynic I'm shocked when a government improves anything.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
John Howard confirms he advised Tony Abbott to sack Peta Credlin

Bronwyn Bishop endorses account that Abbott office overruled 'Choppergate' apology

I am filled with so much glee that everyone is coming out to railroad Abbott.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

http://www.afr.com/news/politics/turnbull-offers-stay-of-execution-to-senate-crossbench-20160310-gng5pa#ixzz42Y7ArkOM&%23160;

quote:

Prime Minster Malcolm Turnbull has offered the Senate crossbench a stay of execution by promising not to hold a double dissolution election if they pass two bills cracking down on unions. 

With the Government, the Greens and Nick Xenophon to pass laws next week reforming the Senate voting system, it will be impossible for microparties to game the preference system and win a Senate spot with a tiny primary vote.

If Mr Turnbull then calls a double dissolution election for July 2, which is a full Senate election, all the crossbenchers, except Nick Xenophon and possibly Jacqui Lambie will be wiped out.

If the crossbench passes the trade union bills and Mr Turnbull then goes full term or a half-Senate election in spring, only John Madigan, who was elected in 2010, would disappear.

Bonus
'Austerity of hope' as Australians lose faith in politics, Liberal strategist Mark Textor says

http://gu.com/p/4he9f

quote:

Instead, “21-year-old pimply theorists from the IPA [Institute of Public Affairs] and the Australia Institute” with little real-world experience have been running the show, Textor said.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
:toxx: that even if they take the bait and pass the bill he will be "unfortunately" forced to call the DD anyway.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

katlington posted:

If Mr Turnbull then calls a double dissolution election for July 2, which is a full Senate election, all the crossbenchers, except Nick Xenophon

:)

katlington posted:

and possibly Jacqui Lambie will be wiped out.

:(

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If I was Muir I'd probably pass it. Another three years in the senate is a lot of money.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Muir'dib

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Only one school has withdrawn from Safe Schools since a review into the anti-bullying initiative thrust the program into the spotlight, and 32 more schools have signed up."

:getin:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...310-gnfy0q.html
"You've got a doctor [Di Natale] who owns a farm who doesn't come from this mad environmental background. He's helped the government get legislation through the Federal Parliament. So you look at the Greens through a slightly different lens these days because they're not the nutters they used to be."

Beginning of the end.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

quote:

Donald Trump North Carolina rally: Black protester punched in face by attendee, video shows
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-11/black-protester-punched-in-the-face-by-white-man-at-trump-rally/7239008
The ABC now reporting race of victims of crime as the headline?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
There won't be a double dissolution because then a different bunch of nutters will get in and better the devil you know?

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Negligent posted:

There won't be a double dissolution because then a different bunch of nutters will get in and better the devil you know?

I dunno, nobody new Ricky Muir and he's done a fucktonne better than any Labor or Liberal lackey

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Ket posted:

I dunno, nobody new Ricky Muir and he's done a fucktonne better than any Labor or Liberal lackey

Yes, but jackie lambie, and-

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Les Affaires posted:

Yes, but jackie lambie, and-

I'd still take her over Labor/Liberals

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh ho ho

quote:

The big and sudden switch of mortgages being reclassified away from investment to owner-occupier loans has drawn the ire of the banking regulator, the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority.

APRA has written to the banks noting that data had to be consistently and accurately reported.

"A number of ADIs (Authorised Deposit-taking Institutions) have recently reported significant changes in housing loan purpose between investment and owner-occupied," APRA's head of data collection Barton Ashcroft observed.

"Where the change in loan purpose is not reported correctly, APRA, the Reserve Bank of Australia and the Australian Bureau of Statistics are impeded in accurately ascertaining the underlying movements in housing loans.

"Reporting of fixed-term housing loans must reflect the current purpose of the loan because the split by housing loan purpose is important for monetary policy and financial stability considerations."

The growing aggravation by regulators over the quality of banks' home loan data was first highlighted in a terse speech from RBA deputy governor Philip Lowe in November last year, when he said banks had understated the value of investor loans by 10 per cent or $50 billion.

Responding to APRA and the RBA's less-than-subtle prompting to rein-in property speculation, the banks have raised the cost of investor loans relative to owner-occupier loans and tightened overall lending criteria.

Additionally, in the past six months more than $35 billion worth of investor loans have been reclassified to owner-occupier, including another $1.4 billion in January.

In a recent research note, UBS bank analyst Jonathan Mott said there was growing scepticism about banks giving the "real story" about housing credit.

"While it is understandable some existing customers are reclassifying themselves to avoid higher interest charges as their circumstances have changed, there is increasing evidence new customers may be stating their loan is for an owner-occupied property to circumvent the additional imposts on investor borrowing," Mr Mott said.

Mr Ashcroft reminded the banks that accurate data was needed to assess the effectiveness of monetary policy and assess potential risks to financial stability.

The data is also needed to meet international statistical standards and reporting obligations, as well as assisting the Australian Bureau of Statistics calculate Gross Domestic Product, of which ADIs are a major component, Mr Ashcroft said.

Look who's nervous about the housing bubble. I foresee some interesting work for private detectives :frogout:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Graic Gabtar posted:

The ABC now reporting race of victims of crime as the headline?

why would the race of someone assaulted at a borderline fascist political rally be important. hmm

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

BBJoey posted:

why would the race of someone assaulted at a borderline fascist political rally be important. hmm

To be honest it sounds more like the anti-Trump line the ABC seems obsessed with.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Not very balanced are they? Shame, ABC, shame.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Do you guys think fair go still exists in Australia?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'm not. I want him to think he's a realistic chance of taking back the top job rather than flaming out and getting kicked out of the LNP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bowmore posted:

Do you guys think fair go still exists in Australia?

Yes, but it costs a lot of money.

• Locked thread