Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That was a fantastic story, and I love that gag villain.

Dog-Saruman, on the other hand, will haunt my nightmares for years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bieeardo posted:

That was a fantastic story, and I love that gag villain.

Yeah, Francis was a great villain and, best part, was completely invented by the PCs while trying to invent the person they came together to fight. The best thing is that they also mutually decided the fight that brought them together was a huge embarrassment for them due to the collateral damage and how minor the villain was that they got dubbed the "F*ck Ups" by the general populace.

We had a great group. The majority of the players had never played a trpg before. I love how the protege's player went from a little nervous and awkward when the spotlight was on him in the beginning to confident and proactive by then end. It was a great transformation to help along.

I'm really looking forward to the Nobillis game the Doomed's player will be running for us.

Covok fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 6, 2016

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Playing some 13th Age tonight, I could not get the dice to roll my way for the first half of the session. I think I succeeded at maybe two things total.

Then, in the process of tracking a group of people buying and selling bodies for necromantic purposes, I used an icon roll and my status as an artificial life form to shut down and pose as product. After being sold, tracked down, and revived by the party, I couldn't fail a roll.

Sometimes when things aren't working out, the best thing to do is a hard reset. Also, it is now a point of pride for my character that he is worth significantly more than the average corpse.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Had an... Awkward moment involving my female druid and a male paladin in my D&D session last week.

"I grab the druid by the boob and use lay on hands."

There wasn't any sort of reason why he had to specify that, and he didn't get why I wasn't okay with this.

I think it's time to bail on this group. :stare:

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 7, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Molesting someone probably goes against the paladin code of chivalry.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Even if he's a Paladin of Sune, I'm pretty sure "Groping your comrade without consent" goes against her code.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CascadeBeta posted:

Yes, yes it is.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Robindaybird posted:

Even if he's a Paladin of Sune, I'm pretty sure "Groping your comrade without consent" goes against her code.

Very much so, actually.
In one of the Erin Evans books, the ones with the tiefling warlock, she and another character go undercover into one of Sune's temples and one of the priestesses pulls her aside and pretty much says "If that guy is coercing you, say so and we'll take care of it for you."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

the_steve posted:

Very much so, actually.
In one of the Erin Evans books, the ones with the tiefling warlock, she and another character go undercover into one of Sune's temples and one of the priestesses pulls her aside and pretty much says "If that guy is coercing you, say so and we'll take care of it for you."

On one hand, that's suprisingly decent sexual politics for a D&D book.

On the other hand, haha you read Forgotten Realms novels.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Today at my local store I saw a sign advertising wanting players for a pathfinder game. "preferred are those of a female persuasion."
yikes.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
What an oddly specific request, I mean it's totally innocuous on the face of it I'm sure NOTHING could go wron

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That's basically the fastest way to repel female gamers. Guys... understand that, right?

e: even the wording makes it sound super-skeevy.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Foolster41 posted:

Today at my local store I saw a sign advertising wanting players for a pathfinder game. "preferred are those of a female persuasion."
yikes.

Like, see, I could see an innocent reason for this request that a simple second sentence could encapsulate. "Preferred are those of a female persuasion; my wife wants more gamers to hang with." "Preferred are those of a female persuasion; we're primarily a girl gamer group." But yeah, without further context, creppy as poo poo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The problem with that though is you are still using "female persuasion" which typically just sounds creepy, because mostly creepy people say it.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, that's just poor wording, if nothing else.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, using "female" sounds much like David Attenborough describing the mating habits of tropical birds, it's dissecting and alienating. Persuasion adds on a "And let us stare at your tits" sleaziness.

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice

CascadeBeta posted:

Had an... Awkward moment involving my female druid and a male paladin in my D&D session last week.

"I grab the druid by the boob and use lay on hands."

There wasn't any sort of reason why he had to specify that, and he didn't get why I wasn't okay with this.

The correct answer is introduce that character to the Druid's version of pepper spray - Flamestrike.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Psychodin posted:

The correct answer is introduce that character to the Druid's version of pepper spray - Flamestrike.

It occurs to me in light of this post that your standard D&D fantasy setting is a real litmus test for the concept of "an armed society is a polite society"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So before I post this week's session of our D&D campaign, let me pose this question.

What do you do if you encounter a flumph in the Underdark?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Get the Cleric to cast Create Graham Crackers?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Tame the magnificent beast and ride it to the surface?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Assume that it's some silly kiddie monster that doesn't belong in REAL D&D and get very huffy and passive aggressive.

That or ride it like a horsey.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
And what should you do if the plumph offers you the gift of an egg?

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 8, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
You're gonna have to narrow it down. What KIND of egg?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So a couple of sessions ago, our party was exploring some elven ruins on the Fae Isles, which is the home of elven civilization on Tanicus. However, elven civilization is restricted to the shores and rivers as the deep jungle is the domain of demons and other infernal creatures. During the incursion of Kaos about 1000 years ago, the Fae Isles was the site of a brutal war between Kaos, his general Az (the evil demigod who’s trying to become a full-blown god), and a legion of demonic hordes against the elves. The elves “won” by banishing Kaos but lost most of their cities and civilization in the process. While exploring some of these ruins while trying to track down one of Telleysin’s (our Eldritch Knight) grandmother’s (the long-lived elf who wants to destroy the elves once and for all with the help of the demons) agents, our party was trapped in the cellar of a Temple of Dynae (goddess of light) due to some hobgoblins exploding a whole bunch of gunpowder to seal us in.

With nowhere else to go, our party began travelling through the tunnels that ran underneath the Fae Isles, which serve as Tanicus’ “Underdark.” We fought hook horrors, ropers, gelatinous cubes, ran from a purple worm the size of a bridge (while siccing a giant spider on it to buy us some time), and encountered some Drow. Actual Drow from Faerun. It turns out that Telleysin’s grandmother made a deal with a minor Drow noble house after opening a demonic portal. In return for magical artifacts from Tanicus, the house sent some Drow and a few Driders to serve her. Luckily, we managed to close the portal with the assistance of a behir, who after being trapped underground for nearly 2500 years said he would help us ONLY if my Sorcerer could withstand a lightning bolt from him. Which I did. Barely. We fought back the Drow and the behir slipped through the portal before it closed because he was looking for new elves to eat.

We finally made it to the city of the dark elves, elves who were trapped underground after the demonic war and chose to remain underground once they made contact with the surface elves. And it turns out Telleysin’s grandmother was actually living in the city, travelling across Tanicus with the aid of teleportation circles while maintaining the guise of a humble breadmaker. So there’s the big “I could kill you, but I won’t” scene where Telleysin and her grandmother face off before the grandmother teleports away and almost collapses the house on us.

Needing to get back to the surface, the dark elves tell us of an old wizard’s tower about a day’s walk that had a teleportation circle which would take the party right to Summertide, the capital city of the elves. So we’re walking along…and the thief senses something floating towards us. We’re thinking “beholder” or “banshee” and get ready when it floats into view…

“Hey, man. How’s it hanging?”

It’s a flumph.

The thief PANICS. Turns out that in a previous campaign his Paladin somehow died at the hands of a flumph through a series of horrible and accidental dice rolls. Rolls so horrible and accidental, they caused a flumph to accidentally kill a Paladin. After a few good-natured minutes of “KILLER GM” accusations, we approach the flumph. The GM plays him as a stoned surfer dude mixed with Oddball from Kelly’s Heroes, absolutely wasted from all the “negative waves” it’s been soaking in (which is a sign that powerful telepaths are nearby – in this case a group of bugbears in service to a cabal of Mind Flayers who claimed the tower). He manages to eventually get all this information out, before turning to our Lizardman and going “hey, child, things are going to get easier. But the heartburn is going to suck.” (this is the Lizardman who has transformed into a Dragonborn as Tanicus is brought up to 5th Edition rules). Then it turns to my Sorcerer.

Flumph – “Hey, man. Are you a dragon?”
Varis – “Kind of. I have dragon ancestry.”
Flumph – “Are you, like, a good dragon?
Varis – “I do my best.”
Skeever (Bard/Barbarian) – “He’s the Lightning Lord! He’s amazing!”
Varis – “Skeever!”
Flumph – “Lighting Lord. Righteous.”

He reaches into…somewhere…and pulls out an egg. A medium sized brown egg with red spots.

Flumph – “I was told to give this to a good dragon, man. You look like a good dragonman.”
Varis – “Um…”
Ksena (Monk) – “Varis, it’s impolite to turn down gifts from strange flumphs.”

So that’s the story of how my Sorcerer got an egg from a stoned flumph. I packed it in a towel, braced it as best I could in my backpack, and promptly forgot about it as we escaped the “Underdark.”

Of course, the GM didn’t forget the egg. Especially during this week’s session when our party was in front of High King Killian Thunderlance the III of Caern Kell explaining about the evils of Az when whatever was inside decided it was time to hatch…

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

CobiWann posted:

So before I post this week's session of our D&D campaign, let me pose this question.

What do you do if you encounter a flumph in the Underdark?

The answer is always to hang out with the flumph and try to get him to join your party as a pet/mascot. I recently had my party encounter an underground sea that served as a flumph spawning pool. The whole cave was full of the "floating farters" as they were dubbed by the party. The barbarian spent way too much time making fart noises to try communicating with them.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Golden Bee posted:

Feng Shui Continues!

This week we added Big Bruiser Tengfei "Wei" Weisheng. A former (current?) criminal, he enjoys a few things:
-Hitting things with his baseball bat;
-Slamming enemies into and through walls;
-Being shot to no real effect.
He gets hit 30% more than the rest of the party, but his toughness is through the roof.
Notably, he's the only one who responded "Yes!" when asked "Do you know about the chi war", even if he was lying.

We met Wei while fleeing the compound from the last session. Notably, the guards were changing duty, so when Masked Avenger the Jade Scion shot a group pursuing us, those about to start their shifts got in their cars and left.

Despite scaring off all our pursuers, Max Graves decided he needed to hood-slide across. Scrappy kid Christina Eagles followed suit, then realized she was on the wrong side of the car, sliding back (and messing up the paintjob.)

Back at headquarters, Sylvan Master clued everyone in. After seeing her Mom appear normal on the news (and hype an upcoming "Hope Night" for the city's orphans), Christine opened up to Jade, having known him the longest. Wei appeared midway through their discussion, got down on a knee and hugged Christine, offering "Everybody's got a mother."

Awk.

---
The team split up to investigate the cult. While Max Graves and Christina hit a dive bar (stopping at a convenience store so the maverick cop could buy her tampons), Wei and Jade hit up Mama Chen's Shrimp Joint & Bakery.

At the Dive bar, Max intimidated some thugs into finding out a crime boss had put out a big reward on Christina.
At the shrimp joint, Jade rolled a forty (an average roll would've been 15), with Mama Chen opening up about the cult's entire backstory. The Rising Lotus was part of the Lotus Eaters, an 960AD group of Eunuch Sorcerers. They needed Christina to complete a ritual, but only if she became a woman.
After all this, Christina texted: she had a lead!
---

With their newfound info, the gang proceeded to Christina's place in Victoria. Her doctor parents had made some good business deals, but something was off... the mansion was crawling with security.

The gang managed to get inside by pretending to be delivering Tina. ("Do you actually know how kidnapping works?" she asked a mush-mouthed Max, when he told the gate guard "let us in or the girl gets it".) She made them promise not to bust up the place.

This promise lasted all of thirty seconds. Over the course of the gun battle, the entire front hallway and living room would be eviscerated. Christina started by grabbing her old hockey stick (left near the door) and charging at a villain parked in front of the TV. Max told her to get out of the way...and splattered the guy with his standard issue Smith & Wesson Model 29.

One Triad enforcer got thrown through the front hallway into the Trophy room, where he was gored, attacked with cue sticks and driven into a fireplace.

Many busts were destroyed. Christina Home-Alone'd three mooks in the kitchen.

Jade threw down a smoke bomb to give Max cover; Max grabbed someone, there were some flashes of light, and blood flew out of the smoke.

It didn't go well for the Triad.

Let's hope Christina's parents have good insurance.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 29, 2019

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
To continue…

This week’s session kicked off with our group arriving in Kaeryn Kell, capital of the High Kingdom and Protectorate of Kaeryn, a Lawful Good theocracy based on chivalry and order, with a mix of “the High King is whoever can kick the asses of the other Kings.” In this case, it’s High King Killian Thunderlance the Third who commands an army of knights, paladins, and griffins. Dedicated to the worship of Arwin, the goddess of heroism and the positive aspects of war, they’ve been in a long cold war (with hot flashes) with the neighboring Lawful Evil kingdom of Corvis. Currently, Corvis has taken control of a vital keep and bridge in the north of Kaeryn, cutting off trade to Kaeryn’s northern allies and causing the forces of Kaeryn to be stretched thin.

Last time, I wrote about Az, a demigod who is trying to become a full-fledged god and has amassed a cult and the means to grant cleric domain spells. The Cult of Az states that “all eighteen gods are really aspects of one god Az,” when in reality Az wants to become a god so he can release Kaos and destroy the entire world. Why? Because they betrayed him during the last great celestial war, when Az made the choice to ally his army of humans with an army of demons in order to have the numbers to beat Kaos’ hordes and in return was locked away by the gods for “allying with the infernal.” With evidence of Az’s powers, the major religious groups and orders are having a secret conclave in order to determine whether or not Az is truly the nineteenth god and to grant him official godhood which would increase his power and allow him to crack open Kaos’ prison.

In response, Kaeryn said “you all are idiots” and refused to attend the conclave. The next week, Corvis took the bridge and keep. Coincidence?

X X X X X

So our groups is gathered before the High King and his queen as well as the High Priest. In the far corner, sulking, is a Monk of Bile (pronounce “beh LAY”), the god of night, winter, and wolves who had come here to petition the High King for aid (he ties into the next session). The five group members who have been touched by the gods (the Paladin, the Eldritch Knight, the Monk, the Barbarian Bard/Dragonborn, and the Cleric) are in the middle of laying out the truth of Az to the High King as my Sorcerer and the Rogue are standing off to the side, bored but trying to look interested. As mentioned earlier, the Rogue is in it only for the loot and my Sorcerer feels way over his head and lets everyone else do the talking. So as the High King and the group are currently discussing how there has been a rising number of demon-touched children (the introduction of Tieflings) being born in Corvis and how the first generation of them are currently obtaining power…

DM – “Varis, give me a perception check.”
Me – “12.”
DM – “Ok, your backpack shifts a little bit.”

I look over at the Rogue for a moment before readjusting my straps and continuing to try to listen, not noticing that the GM’s wife (our Monk) is failing to hide a huge grin. A few minutes later…

DM – “Varis, another perception check.”
Me – “Natural 20!”
DM – “You just heard something pop in your backpack. It sounded like an egg cracking.”
Me – “…oh, by Reva.”

Yeah, the egg the flumph gave me in the Underdark has decided to hatch while I’m standing in front of the High King.

Me – “Um…my apologies my Lord.”
HK – “Yes? I’m sorry, I didn’t get your name earlier.”
Me – “Varis Stormglass of Dale. I apologize my Lord, but…I need to use the privy.”
HK – “The privy?”

(at this point, the Paladin’s player has his head in his hands trying not to crack up)

Me – “Yes…um…I’m sorry…”
HK – “Very well. One of our knights will show you to the privy.”
Me – “Thank you, my Lord. Cullus, can you accompany me?”
Rogue – *blinks* “Huh?”
Me – (making the “dude, come with me” motion with my eyes) “I believe…our breakfast isn’t agreeing with me. I could use some of your…medicinal herbs.”
Rogue – “We didn’t have breakfast. We came right to town from camp.”
Me – (making the “DUDE, COME WITH ME” motion with my eyes) “I…saw some apples hanging from a tree and picked one. It must not have been ripe yet.”
Rogue – “You’re our cook! You should know better…”
Me – (making the “DUDE, COME WITH ME!” motion with my eyes, adding my hand on my stomach for emphasis and using Prestidigitation to add some rumbling noises)

So with that scene, we step out of the throne room. My backpack is shaking by this point, and I barely manage to make the privy in time.

Guard – “Here you go. I will wait for you and escort you back once you are finished.”
Me – “Oh, there’s no reason for you to wait. You may return to your duties.”
Guard – “Sorry sir, I have to escort you. Orders and all that.”
Me – “I understand. Cullus?”
Rogue – “Whoa, Varis…”
Me – “I…may need a hand...”
Rogue – “…”

The guard gives us a strange look, but nothing like the look the Rogue gives me as we step into the privy. But his eyes get wide as I put the egg in the middle of the washbasin. So as the group is making final arrangements with the High King to be the official delegation of Kaeryn, the Rogue and the Sorcerer are in the privy watching an egg hatch. It hatches…

…and out comes a pseudo-dragon.

Red and copper, four legs, wings, and a stinger on the end of its tail. It cracks the shell open, steps out, spreads it wings, and looks at me.

PD – “Who are you?” *said in a low, raspy lisping voice*
Me – “Um…I’m Varis.”
PD – “Varis…who am I?”
Me – “Um…”
Rogue – “He’s your daddy!”

I eventually named him “Cadavel” after the Rogue’s last PC (killed and digested by a Flail Snail). And as the pseudo-dragon climbs up on my shoulders as my new familiar, he accidentally stings me and I manage to roll another natural 20 to not get knocked out for 5 hours. The guard does a double take as the three of us walk out and he sees the creature on my shoulders…

Rogue – “Something Varis ate.”

So we walk back into the throne room, and everyone stops and stares at us. The Rogue and I just walk up to where we were standing before and act like nothing happened. The scene finishes up with the Paladin remaining behind to talk to the High King as both are sworn to Arwin. They eventually walk out together…

HK – “Have you ever noticed that when the gods come calling, they never call on members of their order? Those who have dedicated their lives to study and meditation are the most rigid and inflexible when it comes to new ideas. No, my friend, when the gods call on us, they call upon the misfits and the outsiders.”
*come out of the throne room to see Cullus with a piece of meat on the end of his dagger and Cadavel darting his head out to grab it*
Paladin – “Well, the gods have definitely sent us a pair of agnostic misfits.”

X X X X X

The session ended with our group encountering a group of Sidhe assassins. The Rogue managed to make a Spot check and noticed them sulking in the alley. As we walked past, the Barbarian and the Paladin both made Intimidation checks and simply said “do not even try it.” Three of the assassins ran, their boss and three other stayed.

Easy fight to end the session, and eventually there’s one left standing. We want to take him for interrogation, so I moved two squares away from him, cast Shocking Grasp to make my hands crackle, and mentally told my familiar “look intimidating.”

Roll Intimidate. Natural 1.

The pseudo-dragon sneezes.

There’s a silent pause.

The assassin blinks…and starts to laugh. He laughed so hard that he just threw down his daggers and said “oh, by the gods that’s TOO CUTE” between bouts of giggling.

Me – “Really. That’s your intimidating face?”
Familiar – “I’m not intimidating yet!”

X X X X X

One last bit – apparently, naming the familiar “Cadavel” was a bad idea.

Because the DM ended the session with a cutaway to the Elemental Plane of Fire and an Efreet looking up from its pile of gems and muttering “Cadavel returns…”

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Let the man offer you an egg in this trying time

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Asylum Loco Wrestling is...weird. (It's also rebranded as AWE, Asylum Wresting Entertainment.)
Through a series of RL tragedies & incidents, we had 0 returning characters. (The Boss last time took over as GM and the 3 other players had emergencies; the old GM played and two new players got in on it.)

Instead, the Bodyguard Nate Stone took on the tasks of company scion Derek Black. He ended up in a main event fight over a Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6. He would face Uncle Dastardly's client, a West Virginia mammoth known as The Mountain.

The argument boiled over during the talk segment, "Shock Therapy": Nate would beat the crap out of the Mountain, with Derek's car as incentive to make the match happen.
DASTARDLY: You love that car more than your daddy!
DEREK: My dad doesn't have a v8!

Unfortunately, the match was Two Badguys vs Two Badguys.
Luckily, there was another player.
Glorified medic Daisy Preta from Australia. She'd won her first match of the night (vs El Toro* w/ Uncle Dastardly, with Bertha Acid interfering), and leveling up, took the move "Reliable."

So as Shock Treatment descended into chaos, Daisy grabbed the mic.
"I wan' the Cah!"

(*Every WWWRPG has a guy with a Bull gimmick. It's weird.)
---
The match was booked as a tag match; Nate & Derek vs Daisy & Mountain (w/ Uncle Dastardly.)
Of the four, Nate and Daisy could actually wrestle, but the crowd only cheered for Daisy. So she would get momentum and tag in Mountain, and the crowd would start booing. Derek would cheat (getting boos), then Dastardly would cheat again (getting cheers, then more boos.)
The match was supposed to end with Daisy losing to Nate, but Uncle D, wanting to impress her, used his tazer-cane on Nate. Daisy got the pin.

In a two hour show, she'd gone from enhancement talent to winning a car.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 11, 2016

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

CobiWann posted:

A dumb question here. Is that one of the vinyl game mats with a piece of plastic over it to write on? How does that work out for you? I'm wanting to buy a mat but even wet erase markers seem to leave stains on them.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Trast posted:

A dumb question here. Is that one of the vinyl game mats with a piece of plastic over it to write on? How does that work out for you? I'm wanting to buy a mat but even wet erase markers seem to leave stains on them.

Yes it is. Our GM either throws down a vinyl mat or pre-done tiles and puts the plastic over it. It works great for us, though I admit I don't know what kind of markers he uses. I'll ask him today when I see him.

Also, another tip - he brings a laser pointer so those of us whose figures are on the far side of the table can point to where we want to move/target a spell on the mat.

Edit - it's plexiglass and dry erase.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 12, 2016

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

CobiWann posted:

Eat the egg with the delicious waffles decorating the dungeon.

The flumph is stoned. Xe would understand.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yesterday, we did our chargen session for the Nobilis campaign being run by the Doomed from our Mask's campaign.

There was trouble with getting our heads around things, but...

By the end, our smelly, arrogant, unshaven, nerdy, 4chan-using Magister of the Dark Imperator had brought Superman, Hamtaro, a Psych student, the Lord of Dreams from another Universe, and a Mob boss together to guard the estates of hero, futility, madness, dreams, and the night, respectively. Superman lives in the north pole in his fortress of solitude. Hamtaro setup his hamster habitat in the place. Most distressingly, the mobsters live in the Fortresses' basement. The Psych Student has a university that is both in Nantucket and the North Pole at the same time so the fortress is in the center of campus. Unfortunately, as a result of the mobster's influence, all the students have become criminals due to the influence of the mobsters. Every morning, Superman and the mobsters renact the opening scene of Action Comics #1 as Superman beats up every kid at the college -- everyone still loves him, though, due to his level 4 Affliction (?, we weren't sure if we did this right) "Everyone Loves Me" -- only for it all to be a dream, due to the Dream Lord. The Dream Lord, of course, lives in the insane asylum (that is not where the Lord of Madness lives, why would you think that? Madness lives on campus) that is just outside of campus. Dream Lord loves it as he has so many rooms to turn into simulated realities because they're alot of all white rooms like Star Trek (Yes, this makes sense). Conveniently, Superma's Ma and Pa's farm are just outside of Campus in Kansas/North Pole so its a short commute to see the family, as an aside. Also, it is nice that Nantucket is only a 20 minute flight from New York, where Superman works.

We haven't started playing yet.

Nobilis is a good game.

Also, as the Superman player, can I say how shockingly easy it was to build him in that system? Like, it was a breeze: my lifepath even, accidentally, had two identity hearts!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Tried a playtest of the Downton Abbey meets Night Vale game. This quote tells the story:

Joel: Is everyone leaving the mansion on account of one giant spider?
Me: I also had my feelings hurt.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Golden Bee posted:

Tried a playtest of the Downton Abbey meets Night Vale game. This quote tells the story:

Joel: Is everyone leaving the mansion on account of one giant spider?
Me: I also had my feelings hurt.

Interested in hearing more of this story

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Last night's 3.5e session was certainly interesting. We're trying to assemble a thing to let us travel the planes, as the cult we've been hunting has apparently set up an extraplanar home base. To that end, we've been collecting ingredients, one of which being a piece of Bel. We're level 7, Bel is CR22 and has both appropriate offense and defenses. I can unsummon him at any time, but whatever action he's about to take happens first. Since he's the devil that gave my warlock his powers, I try just asking politely for a scale of his. It goes over about as well as one might expect. I try my current traditional start of combat: sending in an acid elemental suicide bomber to try to blind+hurt him, but he easily makes the save. His SR is too high for any of my invocations to affect him, but I can at least hit him for con damage and AC penalties. Our barbarian, however, is an insane behemoth of tripping and throwing; he manages to not only knock him down, but also does somewhere north of 50 damage to him after DR. Bel summons a pair of gelugons, but our binder takes one of them out of existence for 1 round.

An aside: way earlier in the campaign, we got a magic sponge as loot. Basically a Sponge of Holding, it can soak up a crazy amount of liquid. I used it to drain a small moat in the middle of a swamp at one point, and had never wrung it out. Until now. Bel is prone, so I slam the sponge into his face and squeeze as hard as I can, dumping a deluge of brackish water into his mouth and nose. It didn't hurt him per se, but it did make him sickened and rather staggered. Our barbarian gets another pile of damage on him, and then Bel launches a meteor swarm. I choose now to be the "unsummon after this" action, and he fires on the barbarian. We manage to make most of our saves thanks to action points and buffs, and since I have some fairly beefy fire resistance I manage to escape the blast unscathed. Bel and his summons are banished back to the first layer, and we all get some aspect of Bel as loot.

We also got to level 8.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

the_steve posted:

Interested in hearing more of this story

We were throwing a birthday party for a 9 year old member of the household. Unfortunately, she had psychic manifestations (causing her to be, and amplified by, her being locked in attic for a year.)

My character had no prior Butler experience, so his attempt to bring in neighborhood children for the party got us six orphans and two angry nuns. Meanwhile the chef and the lady of the manor were having a not-so-subtle affair. Every time I tried to blackmail the chef it ended up screwing me over; the final time I ended up being minorly set on fire.

I put a towel over my burnt arm, marched into the dining room, and told 9 year old Matilda to "Give in to it; nobody's going to care about you by this time tomorrow."
Hence giant spider.

(Due to a plot twist, there ended up being two.)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Golden Bee posted:

(Due to a plot twist, there ended up being two.)

Now that's just silly and over-the-top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Feng Shui don't stop, can't stop
Only one fight this week due to timing issues. But we added a new Dragon...who's secretly a transformed Dragon! It's Christina's rich neighbor Nikki Lau, who owns a Porsche 918 Spyder.

Jade Scion's contact heard a crime go down at the docks, and the rest of the gang, owing him a favor (for the last four+ battles of the day) headed there.

Unfortunately, Jade's informant was hanging from a meathook, and a group of Gold Tiger Triad were waiting! The fight was notable for a few things:
-Christina winning a Hockey-stick vs Nunchucks battle (only for Max Graves to shoot her opponent in the head, dumping her in an empty container, and saying "Now you're going home in a box");
-Lau beating up another opponent, only for Max to shoot him in the head;
-Jade defeating a long time rival, leaving him with only one HP left (after spending 30 seconds and a Fortune Point to nail the shot)... only for Max to empty a clip into the guy.
Max then reloaded.
Then asked for more ammo.