Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Man, I even went and installed s3d on my PC. So, completely clean install, put in all my settings, sliced it...same glitches.

When it worked for you, which file were you slicing, and were you doing it in corkscrew mode? If I do the 2mm wall one, that works fine, but of course it's not actually a corkscrew since there's an inner and outer wall there. If I slice either the shell or the solid, though, in corkscrew mode, I get that glitch. If I don't do corkscrew, everything works fine (I mean, rapids and retractions all over, so not really FINE, but, y'know, "as expected").

I'll get you an FFF hopefully tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

insta posted:

I'll get you an FFF hopefully tonight.

No hurry, it's not like it's time-sensitive or anything. Just something I'd like to sort out, I don't want to be locked out of s3d vase mode because of this, but I certainly don't have anything waiting on it except my own interest. :)

That blue petg sure is purdy, though.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So finally got my E3Dv6 mount and my rostock max v2 is runnning and its amazing holy poo poo.....how ever the extruder is holy poo poo balls levels of loud, vibrates right into the top of the tower and has a really high pitched pulsing singing to it, how do I reduce both of them before my brain melts out my ears?
(im printing a layer fan shroud ATM from ABS, is 228c too hot?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mine isn't that loud. I mean, it's louder than the base, but not too bad. The base was WAY more loud than the extruder before I had the dampers on.

Check the speed you're printing at, or maybe swap the extruder motor out for one of the tower motors to check the motor itself. The loudest thing I have with the extruder is certain retracts. If I have S3D set to 2mm retracts it's not that bad, but if I have it set to 5mm retracts it's pretty annoying.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
The EZ should not be that loud, make sure that nothing got lose, specially the hobbed gear.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I guess it depends on what you call "loud" as well. I know that at normal (i.e., 60mm/s, etc.) speeds the printer I'm currently running makes a gentle electronic humming noise, but if you push 100mm/s+ it gets pretty loud in comparison.

What speeds are you trying to maintain with the v6? It can certainly handle much higher extrusion/print speeds, but that doesn't necessarily mean the extruder cold end can keep up.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
We took a punt on the latest version of HobbyKing's incredibly cheap Mini Fabrikator

https://twitter.com/makerspace_gg/status/706908176638222336

Tiny build volume, sure, but it doesn't actually suck.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So after swapping the stepper motors around its looking like I have a dud stepper, thing has both a low frequency grinding noise and a high pitched singing that is probably the stepper motor control signal buzzing away :sigh:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Michymech posted:

So after swapping the stepper motors around its looking like I have a dud stepper, thing has both a low frequency grinding noise and a high pitched singing that is probably the stepper motor control signal buzzing away :sigh:

sounds like a great excuse to upgrade to a Kysan!

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

deimos posted:

And what is a kysan?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

deimos posted:

Kysan Electronics is the company that makes most of the (good) NEMA17 steppers you see.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

I had a look at the STLs in Netfabb desktop (not cloud) and it looks like there are a ton of those spots in the model:

If you use repair mode and zoom in:

You can see that dark crease and delete the triangles around it..

The geometry isn't really a flat surface like it looks. Doing an x-ray from the side, you can sort of see how it's a tiny-rear end overhang, which is probably what's confusing the slicer even though it is technically valid and watertight:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Huh, thanks. I guess it's probably just time to get off my rear end and write my own generator. Which I've been meaning to do anyhow.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
On that same model, what settings would you guys recommend?

I've printed one in vase-mode and another in a more regular printing mode with 3 walls, but it still isn't actually water-tight (in that it leaks water at various points if you fill it up).

It otherwise looks fine to a visual inspection, and these are very slow one-droplet-a-minute leaks, but still.

I've used t-glase in both instances.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Making it 150% height while keeping the same width reduces the overhangs enough to fix the watertightness, I think. And it looks better like that as well, in my opinion.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Hey,

I installed the dual extruder upgrade on my M2 and now every few layers is shifting in x and y a bit.
Has anyone seen this before?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The extra weight might be causing your motors to skip steps. Have you tried increasing the current limit?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So my other problem is i just cant get abs to stay stuck to my bed, how hot should i run the bed and does painters tape really work? Or should i just go stright to abs slurry?

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Sagebrush posted:

The extra weight might be causing your motors to skip steps. Have you tried increasing the current limit?

Would that be controlled by the pots on the RAMBo board or is there a firmware setting?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Michymech posted:

So my other problem is i just cant get abs to stay stuck to my bed, how hot should i run the bed and does painters tape really work? Or should i just go stright to abs slurry?

For ABS, heat the bed to 100 degrees C. For best results, be sure to leave it fully heated at that temperature for a bit before starting your print.

If your bed is glass, I really like using using 3DLac.

If you don't have glass, painter's tape is okay for PLA, but not great for ABS. Kapton tape is what you'd want to use instead, or any number of other specialty solutions like BuildTak

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Michymech posted:

Painters tape is great for PLA, sucks for ABS.

For ABS, print directly on the glass, with hairspray, glue stick, or ABS slurry.

Everyone seems to have their favorite, I use AquaNet Extra Super Hold hairspray, and it works great for me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Greatest Living Man posted:

Would that be controlled by the pots on the RAMBo board or is there a firmware setting?

Potentiometers on the RAMBO. Turn them up about an eighth of a turn at a time.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sagebrush posted:

Potentiometers on the RAMBO. Turn them up about an eighth of a turn at a time.

The actual RAMBO board uses firmware to control the current, not mechanical potentiometers.

You adjust the current in the firmware and re-flash it, in other words.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

I know on ramps boards the driver carriers have a little trimpot for adjusting the current limit, but looking at the documentation for the Rambo, it says it has digipots to set the current limit.

So it would be a firmware setting.

That said I don't actually see any pots on the pictures of rambo boards. So if you have some, I'm not sure you have a rambo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sorry, yeah, I'm thinking of the RAMPS. On a RAMBO it will be a firmware setting. Add like 10-20% to whatever's on there right now and try again.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
:D Yeah just spent a few minutes with a flashlight looking around for them and then googled it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The trimpot settings for the Rambo are in configuration_adv.h

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Depending on if your drivers are near their thermal limit or not, you could alternatively turn down XY Jerk and/or acceleration in your firmware config to avoid skipping steps.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Hey,

I installed the dual extruder upgrade on my M2 and now every few layers is shifting in x and y a bit.
Has anyone seen this before?

You flashed the provided firmware with the newest version of Arduino, didn't you? There's a bug in the compiler that causes skipped steps in Marlin. It's a super loving annoying problem to track down.

Use Arduino version 1.5.1 to flash.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

insta posted:

You flashed the provided firmware with the newest version of Arduino, didn't you? There's a bug in the compiler that causes skipped steps in Marlin. It's a super loving annoying problem to track down.

Do you have a link to this? This is a big deal.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

insta posted:

Oh poo poo hahah. Thanks. Yeah I flashed custom firmware for the dual extruder + LCD because makergear doesn't currently supply it. I'll post the info in a bit

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It was fixed quickly in newer Marlins, there was just a perfect storm of when MakerGear modified their firmware for duals and when the bug got fixed. I track my own firmwares and use the newest Arduino, but the downloadable version from MakerGear themselves needs 1.5.1

http://forum.makergear.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2568

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

insta posted:

That's very interesting, I'll have to try that out myself. I get random layer shifting on the y-axis but only on longer prints and at inconsistent heights.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I made my first useful thing!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1377535

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Does anyone have any tips for leveling the m2 bed? It still takes me forever.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Crunch all screws down underneath. Z endstop on the high end of the bed (front or back) until a business card drags. Move to the other side and let the screw out until a business card drags. Move bed to the middle, carriage to far right and let the middle screw out until a business card drags. Double-check it on the carriage at home.

Print a 20x20x3mm box at 50% infill, measure the height, use the difference from 3mm for your slicer's gcode Z offset.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

insta posted:

Our machines will never work with this 1.60mm filament!

So, I did a thing. A few days ago I posted 3 M2s running printing cubes. By itself, not terribly exciting, but what it was, was inductively-sensed Z-height and bed leveling with flexible steel sheets clipped to the aluminum heat-spreader. I learned that, despite the multi-point probing, it was still using the points to calculate a "best guess" mesh plane. This caused problems with the very thin steel sheets, because the binder clips are not strong enough to hold it perfectly flat (or is the heat-spreader perfectly flat either). If I use a sheet of MIC6 aluminum I can get a true flat plane, but I can't flex that to remove parts.

Recent Marlin firmwares have "MESH BED LEVELING" (which is distinct from "MULTIPOINT BED LEVELING", ugh). The mesh one will actually calculate linear Z moves up and down between a grid on the bed, and can compensate for warped beds. The mesh leveling was an entirely manual process though, so what I did was hack in automatic homing with the Z-probe. Since I could just let it run, I upped it to the maximum number of points (7x7), stuck an SD card under the steel sheet to make it really bowed, and let it rip. This is not only a severely bowed bed, but its also off-level left to right.

I had my friend graph it in Excel since I don't have it on this machine, and this was his idea of screenshot.

Here it is printing a large, flat cube, right over the hump in the middle. Watch the Z-knob.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op3oipk9_rM

So I flashed the mesh bed leveling Marlin to my shitbird Robo3d R1 printer and as it moves from one probe point to the next it just drags the nozzle along the bed.

Any idea where to put a probe retraction value in so that it will pull up off of the bed when I click the LCD button to tell it that it's touched-off on the bed?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
I kind of want to build a scara printer. Not for any good reason, mind. Anyone here do that yet?

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Anyone familiar with Repetier Firmware? I've got a RAMPS board setup, with a Diamond hotend, and I want the color-mixing capability that this firmware provides. I'm having a HELL of a time configuring it properly - the web tool is janky and seems to output the wrong settings, and the config file is barely commented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I had a few days of good printing, and tonight I spent 3 hours unable to even lay down the first layer.
Very annoying.