Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

jodai posted:

Guarantee that tropers are the kind of people who would say "Oh my ADD" as a joke so gently caress them. But you could just say "Oh that's what having ADHD is like." Anyway, go to e/n if this is the place you're coming to have a meltdown. You will find people who will give you advice, listen and commiserate. There will probably still be people who make fun of you but the only way to avoid that is get off the internet and a person who gives a poo poo about a stranger in real life is hard to find.

I mean, I could go to e/n but that's preaching to the choir. Not to mention the consensus of people here has always been that people who frequent e/n are considered subhuman anyway so it only further cements my point: if I'm going to get really loving angry I'm going to do it right at someone's face instead of passive-aggressively complaining behind their back so that everyone watching can go "oh yeah that's a good point, people with ADHD are actually loving scum, who'd have thought" while someone's dad goes home to beat the poo poo out of his lazy-rear end ADHD kid. It's a lose-lose for me either way though because just trying to tell me people to be understanding is too hard, apparently you have to start throwing poo poo at people and turn into a walking stereotype for them to even acknowledge your existence.

prom candy posted:

BKB I unironically hope you get through whatever poo poo it is you're going through, unless this is some kind of gimmick troll attempt in which case I hope you die

Thank you. That does mean a lot to me coming from a random internet stranger.

BlueKingBar has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

BlueKingBar posted:

You know why people get angry on the internet over stupid poo poo? This is why. loving HORRIBLE things occur as a result of "ha ha just jokes".

Haha, what a man that Jim Crow! Which of y'all wishes to partake in a game of "Beat the friend of the family" with me after the show tonight?

Oh believe me, I've wanted to get therapy for this poo poo. But I can't, because you need money for that, and to get money you need to not be handicapped to the point of inability to hold a steady job. Don't worry though, I'm "Just Lazy!" ha ha, I wish I were as funny as you guys.

Benefits? Medicaid/Medicare in US is for if you're too handicapped to have a job. Then therapy is free

The treatment for ADHD is pharmacological and therapeutic but you probably have other stuff too

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

timefly posted:

Benefits? Medicaid/Medicare in US is for if you're too handicapped to have a job. Then therapy is free

...oh. Speaking of which, I should probably try and get that since I've spent all this time talking about how I'm afraid to do certain things because people will accuse me of "being lazy". I live in a pretty socially liberal town so hopefully I can get something. Only reason I haven't applied for any sort of benefits was because I was expecting that. :/

Fortunately my ADHD meds are pretty cheap ($5 a month) so I think I can live with that, but I don't know if my obligatory (to get said meds) psych appointments would be covered.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Are you going to be okay

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

BlueKingBar posted:

...oh. Speaking of which, I should probably try and get that since I've spent all this time talking about how I'm afraid to do certain things because people will accuse me of "being lazy". I live in a pretty socially liberal town so hopefully I can get something. Only reason I haven't applied for any sort of benefits was because I was expecting that. :/

Fortunately my ADHD meds are pretty cheap ($5 a month) so I think I can live with that, but I don't know if my obligatory psych appointments would be covered.

Seriously, benefits like that are made for people like you. Get on it as soon as you can, and it will make everything much more manageable, even if it is the neutered American healthcare system. Judging by what you've said about yourself, it shouldn't be difficult for a social worker or doctor to see that you need help. Also get back on your antidepressants or switch to better ones. Drugs make bad brains good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yowza

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Seriously, benefits like that are made for people like you. Get on it as soon as you can, and it will make everything much more manageable, even if it is the neutered American healthcare system. Judging by what you've said about yourself, it shouldn't be difficult for a social worker or doctor to see that you need help. Also get back on your antidepressants or switch to better ones. Drugs make bad brains good.

I agree with the drugs part wholeheartedly, I was only going through withdrawals because I forgot to take them yesterday. They've actually been very helpful, at least at the reduced dose I've been taking since a few months ago. I was on way too high of a dose before that (reason being my mother has a really fragile ego and apparently depression = "ok sure I'll get you to the doctor" but ADHD = "quit making poo poo up you lazy piece of poo poo gently caress you" because I guess she doesn't want to be the parent of the retarded man or something?) and it caused me a lot of anxiety. Fortunately I cut contact with her and spent some of the food money she gives me every month on seeing my doctor and sure enough, I have full-blown ADHD and apparently have had it my entire life.

Your second sentence is extremely reassuring though, it's good to hear from someone I don't know that I can get help and I'm not just doomed to end up homeless and die of starvation. Thank you.

the shadow toker
Apr 22, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Another happy ending in the STDH thread

*spontaneous applause*

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

the shadow toker posted:

Another happy ending in the STDH thread

*spontaneous applause*

Wait, do we all have to get married now?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
and the entire thread applauded

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Is BKB actually Albert Einstein?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Megera posted:

And Ghandi.

fake edit: Sergeant in the USMC.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Megera posted:

That man... was actually just a fat smelly nerd.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is the thread going to be goldmined now or does that not qualify it?

WillOfTheGods
May 30, 2011
Well, BKB's first post sounds eerily similar to the past 20 years of my life so that's something I can look into now.

Thanks dude! You may have really helped me. Best of luck to you.

STDH: a good thing happened??!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Can you post goatse or a banme thread next time instead of squirting chunky liquid poo poo all over the thread?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Am I understanding correctly that even Ben-C was surprised anybody gave that much of a poo poo about his stupid non-story?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He poured five feet of concrete on the ground

Didn't just stack like, concrete blocks, oh no. He poured out liquid concrete on the ground until the concrete puddle that stretched from one end of his lawn to the other was 5 feet tall at every point on the border, then put a fence on it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh wow, what good timing

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Holy cow, that's probably my favorite dumb bullshit lie I've ever heard.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
LAW TEACHER.

Is that really how students refer to professors or is that just a bullshit word from someone who never studied the law?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

WaltherFeng posted:

LAW TEACHER.

Is that really how students refer to professors or is that just a bullshit word from someone who never studied the law?

I guess you could call your Legal Studies teacher in high school a "law teacher" but no university/college student would refer to their professor as a "law teacher". And your high school Legal Studies teacher would likely be a repurposed English teacher anyway and wouldn't likely have enough mad legal skillz to take on the city council to bicker about what does or doesn't constitute a wall. Not that it matters anyway as the "law teacher" never did any of this anyway.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Wow what a wild ride but luckily page 300 brings the happy ending :unsmith:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BlueKingBar posted:

Fortunately my ADHD meds are pretty cheap ($5 a month) so I think I can live with that, but I don't know if my obligatory (to get said meds) psych appointments would be covered.

Just making a suggestion, as I work at (not as a counselor) a local mental health non-profit... Look for your local mental healthcare non profit, if you have one. They have people there that know the system and will get you all the low/no cost care that you might qualify for.

(I have a neighbor in my building that's unemployed, and it's costing him nothing (under the ACA) to get help with his life/addiction issues.)

Sorry for the derail.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Wish I had PMs... Yeah I've been through it, lots of it sucks but it's much better than going untreated because you can't afford help

Your fear of being seen as lazy is really familiar to me. Definitely a line of thinking to avoid. just focus on finding a helpful therapist & other doctors you can see frequently. Then you'll be on the right track. Good luck odd goon.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

drat I wish I lived near these cool people.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

jodai posted:

Holy cow, that's probably my favorite dumb bullshit lie I've ever heard.

I actually laughed. The picture it paints for us

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
This thread gets so loving good when I'm not paying attention

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

timefly posted:

The treatment for ADHD is pharmacological and therapeutic but you probably have other stuff too

I don't think there is a cure for internet

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
As idiotic as this spasm was, I really don't think anybody here reads the stdh stories and think of people with mental disabilities. They're usually teenagers who want to sound cool, or people who come up with bullshit excuses for being failures.,including self diagnosing ADHD because they are too lazy to sit down and work (as opposed to people with ADHD who do not do so out of mere laziness).

We're mocking assholes, not the mentally ill.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

As idiotic as this spasm was, I really don't think anybody here reads the stdh stories and think of people with mental disabilities. They're usually teenagers who want to sound cool, or people who come up with bullshit excuses for being failures.,including self diagnosing ADHD because they are too lazy to sit down and work (as opposed to people with ADHD who do not do so out of mere laziness).

Exactly.

I think this derail started because we were mocking tropers with the whole "Brilliant but Lazy" bullshit.

The key here is that they self identify as lazy. It's not a result of a disease, and if it is, they are clearly not interested in treatment because of how cool they think it makes them look. It's a cheap justification for their behaviour, not a consequence of a mental illness. gently caress them.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Non Serviam posted:

Uh huh, I'm pretty sure that calling yourself "Attention Deficit Ooh Shiny" is just another way of saying "lolz I'm so quirky and OMG so random! holds up spork!"

Where are all the Troper Tales archived, by the way? If someone posted a link it was many pages ago.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Oh, God, the FML website and its stories.

How did I forget those were a thing?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Leavemywife posted:

The worst part of fml is it spawned my life is average

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

The funny thing about FML, is it used to be everyday things that anyone could have done like "drove 30 minutes to store, left wallet at home. #FML". Then it became an ever-escalating series of "my life is worse, as evidenced by this completely over-the-top, implausible series of events".

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I was having a good old giggle imagining some kid in high school walking around in a fuckin straight jacket for whatever reason and now I'm just confused with everything. Thanks thread.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I am at a bar with people playing Ingress and Bohemian Rhapsody came on and everyone literally started singing along. FML

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I was making out with my girlfriend one time and I slipped while shifting my weight and almost suffocated her. I apologized and said it must've felt like a sumo wrestler fell on top of her. Turns out her dad was crushed to death by a sumo wrestler. The sumo wrestler was my uncle. Then she started crying and I found out I'm specifically allergic to her tears. I was in the hospital for a week. During which she fell in love with a sumo wrestler. He was my brother. FML

• Locked thread