Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Before I drive all the way out there, any idea if digital calipers fall under the HF lifetime warranty on hand tools? HF doesn't answer the phone.

Somewhere between 40 and 50mm, mine consistently take a 5 mm jump --50mm always reads as 55, 60 and 65 etc.

If they wont warranty, is there something else I should look at without getting too expensive? These things have served me pretty well, and I don't machinist accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I picked up the "best selling" calipers on Amazon. They seem to have a good rating, are cheap, and work good enough for my occasional (and low tolerance) needs. Come with an extra battery, too!

Neiko 01407A Electronic Digital Caliper with Extra-Large LCD Screen, 0-6 Inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GSLKIW/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_-233wb1FX7AKS

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Uthor posted:

I picked up the "best selling" calipers on Amazon. They seem to have a good rating, are cheap, and work good enough for my occasional (and low tolerance) needs. Come with an extra battery, too!

Neiko 01407A Electronic Digital Caliper with Extra-Large LCD Screen, 0-6 Inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GSLKIW/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_-233wb1FX7AKS

Those are pretty drat good calipers. My dads QA shop pays to have them re-certified and tagged every year.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

TEAH SYAG posted:

Those are pretty drat good calipers. My dads QA shop pays to have them re-certified and tagged every year.

They look like a decent quality mitutoyo clone. As usual, AvE has a couple videos on how to spot the ones that suck and the ones that don't.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

literally a fish posted:

They look like a decent quality mitutoyo clone. As usual, AvE has a couple videos on how to spot the ones that suck and the ones that don't.
The Gadget Class calls the Neikos crap for reasons that make sense to me, and for a cheap calipers recommends the iCal EZCal at $30.

In fact, while writing this post I pulled the trigger on the EZCal because the numbers wore off my lovely HF plastic calipers and I'm tired of trying to read the stupid thing.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

nmfree posted:

The Gadget Class calls the Neikos crap for reasons that make sense to me, and for a cheap calipers recommends the iCal EZCal at $30.

In fact, while writing this post I pulled the trigger on the EZCal because the numbers wore off my lovely HF plastic calipers and I'm tired of trying to read the stupid thing.

I was looking at the same time and have the absolute-origin version of the iGaging in my cart for $10 more.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Would a 6-ton press be enough force to take care of control arm bushings in most vehicles? No huge trucks are in my future, only passenger vehicles.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

scuz posted:

Would a 6-ton press be enough force to take care of control arm bushings in most vehicles? No huge trucks are in my future, only passenger vehicles.

Always get more press than you think you'll need. Get the HF 12 ton or 20 ton. Trust me.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

iForge posted:

Always get more press than you think you'll need. Get the HF 12 ton or 20 ton. Trust me.
10-4! :cool:

The scalawags on the internet are charging me $149/arm with the poly bushings in. I already have brand new control arms with the cheap-o rubber bushings, so the press will pay for itself almost immediately.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Machine shops only charge 10-15 to do it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

Machine shops only charge 10-15 to do it.
But I want more toys tools.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I need to change out bearings on woodworking machines, bandsaws, lathes. Bearings are about 2" diameter and the deepest one is about 2.5" down on the spindle. I don't know jack about bearing pullers and need a suggestion. It will probably get less than a dozen uses in my lifetime so price accordingly. I see 2 jaw, 3 jaw, sliding hammer things, wedges; it's all new to me. Thanks.

nmfree posted:

...for a cheap calipers recommends the iCal EZCal at $30.

I have those, they rock.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

wormil posted:

I need to change out bearings on woodworking machines, bandsaws, lathes. Bearings are about 2" diameter and the deepest one is about 2.5" down on the spindle. I don't know jack about bearing pullers and need a suggestion. It will probably get less than a dozen uses in my lifetime so price accordingly. I see 2 jaw, 3 jaw, sliding hammer things, wedges; it's all new to me. Thanks.

I have those, they rock.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/bearing-separator-and-puller-set-93980.html

I have that exact set and it will do what you need. Change out the washers it comes with for thicker and wider ones or you'll regret it.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

wormil posted:

I have those, they rock.

I don't know how much you know about bearings, but be sure to only press on the race that is the press fit when re assembling. It's pretty easy to gently caress a bearing by pressing on the wrong race.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

scuz posted:

Yes, but just buy the 20-ton.
If you're gonna dedicate floor space to something, make sure it's worth it.

I managed to weasel mine for $90. The cheaper one was on sale, but sold out so they gave me the 20 ton at that price (after a bit of flirting with the manager).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

scuz posted:

Taking bushings out is better done destructively, they're often rusted into place and you bend the poo poo out of things taking them out intact. If you burn or chop out the rubber (there's a trick for doing it with a drill) and the inner sleeve, you can then use a sawzall or hacksaw to cut the outer shell 90% of the way through along its axis, then use a chisel and a hammer to curl it up and slide it out with zero damage to the thing it was pressed into.

Then you wire wheel the garbage out of the hole, grease it up a bit and press the new one in easy as pie :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Taking bushings out is better done destructively, they're often rusted into place and you bend the poo poo out of things taking them out intact. If you burn or chop out the rubber (there's a trick for doing it with a drill) and the inner sleeve, you can then use a sawzall or hacksaw to cut the outer shell 90% of the way through along its axis, then use a chisel and a hammer to curl it up and slide it out with zero damage to the thing it was pressed into.

Then you wire wheel the garbage out of the hole, grease it up a bit and press the new one in easy as pie :v:

Right, they'd be used strictly for pressing things IN. A rusted-to-poo poo u-joint taught me the value of destructive part removal!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just got a pair of Klein banana cutters curtosy off the boss man. Love me a good Klein.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kastein posted:

burn or chop out the rubber

This is actually the only way to do it on the Volvo 240 I had.

Well... some dude made some tool that looks like it worked pretty well, but it cost money to make.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLycNJttl4s

I just spent an equivalent amount of money on beer and a canister of propane.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sadi posted:

I don't know how much you know about bearings, but be sure to only press on the race that is the press fit when re assembling. It's pretty easy to gently caress a bearing by pressing on the wrong race.

Good tip, thanks. I'll probably try to find something on youtube before attempting it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I got those ORTT flexy socket rails today. So long, blow-molded case!

Old and busted:

New and organized:

I'll still hang on to the case, of course, until I figure out how to store all the wrenches and something to do with the oddball stuff like nut drivers and 1/4" deep well sockets.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

How is the retention and release on those? Was thinking of picking one up for my tool bag.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

MRC48B posted:

How is the retention and release on those? Was thinking of picking one up for my tool bag.

Perfect for me, the don't fall off but are easy to pull off. I'm gonna order some more.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Old and busted:

New and organized:

I'll still hang on to the case, of course, until I figure out how to store all the wrenches and something to do with the oddball stuff like nut drivers and 1/4" deep well sockets.

Carribeaners are amazing for holding wrenchs together and make it easy to tote.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Safety Dance posted:

Old and busted:

New and organized:

I got this tool roll which I really like a lot, its got plenty of wrench slots and also has a holder for smallish deep sockets at the end. I think it was like $15 when I got mine?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKUTCY?keywords=custom%20leathercraft%20tool%20roll&qid=1457658873&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MRC48B posted:

Retention is excellent. Release is strong; it's a little hard for me to get really tiny sockets like my 6mm off of the 3/8" rail, but pretty good anywhere else. I could see it being a pain if your hands are greasy or if it was super cold, but I love the fact that no sockets will come loose in a bag or a tool roll. I also love that the posts are cylindrical, so you don't have to orient the socket with the post.

SouthsideSaint posted:

That's an awesome idea! Thanks!

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

I got this tool roll which I really like a lot, its got plenty of wrench slots and also has a holder for smallish deep sockets at the end. I think it was like $15 when I got mine?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKUTCY?keywords=custom%20leathercraft%20tool%20roll&qid=1457658873&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I plan to pick up something like this, or maybe just a tool bag that I can load up for wrenching on the go.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

I have a couple of Custom Leathercraft pouches and they seem pretty nice. However, I an amused that a company with "Leathercraft" in its name sells products made of polyester.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

SouthsideSaint posted:

I use loose leaf ring binders. The 1 inch rings are great for mini ignition wrenches, and 3 inch for everything else.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Would you guys still recommend Carolinas if I can't spend over $100 on boots?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What multi-tools are good? I've heard good things about the Leatherman crunch, but it's pricey, figured I'd ask before spending a bunch.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I think Crunches are too fiddly and require too much setup to use as an everyday belt tool, but they're amazing for small toolboxes.

I've gone back and forth between Gerber and Leatherman over the years; my favorite was just a big rear end basic Core. Beat the hell out of it for 10 years.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I've had a Leatherman wave for like 15 years now and it's survived a ton of abuse and hell. I don't use it that often though for car, it's more for like camping and around the house. The only useful thing for the car is the pliers and a knife. The screwdrivers are usually too small or too short to be useful.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Krakkles posted:

What multi-tools are good? I've heard good things about the Leatherman crunch, but it's pricey, figured I'd ask before spending a bunch.

How many tools do you really need it to have? I got the Skeletool a few years ago, and it's covered me for all the basic stuff when I didn't have proper tools around. My favorite thing is that you can open the blade without unfolding everything else.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

I got this same thing to use as a tool roll for my motorcycle, but it was too large to take on the bike, and the pockets were too small to be real useful for anything.

What you really want Safety Dance, is a genuine Bucket Boss. Not only do you have excellent organization for all the miscellaneous hand tools, and a bucket to chuck junk in, flip it upside down and you've got an instant seat! When you're done, add ice and you've got a beer cooler--the uses are endless!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm thinkin' both. The Bucket Boss is good for going to a place intending to do a thing, and the tool roll is good for road trips / 'ffroadin'.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Krakkles posted:

I got a Gerber Crucial F.A.S.T. (http://amzn.com/B001R93IQQ) after is was recommended by...someone on SA a few years ago. The pliers are ergonomic to use one-handed and close tightly enough to use as tweezers, the screwdrivers are as acceptable as you would expect from a multi-tool, and the assisted opening knife is sharp as gently caress and can be easily opened/closed one handed.

Edit: I know this is very faint praise, but I bring it to Christmas every year and its become a thing for everyone to ask to borrow it after seeing how easily it goes through blister packs.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 11, 2016

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Deeters posted:

How many tools do you really need it to have?
Good question that I should've thought to answer. The usage for this is: I'm going to the junkyard to dick around and will only bring sockets, a ratchet, and a multi-tool.

Basically, I don't want a Swiss Army knife or anything, but pliers wire cutter saw and screw drivers are all mandatory, more could come in handy but not to the point that is likely carry extra bit sets.

I dig the suggestions so far, but they're not robust enough, I think.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
A larger Leatherman would probably fill that niche. I used to love my old Wave (until I lost it), and I think they have one or two sizes bigger than that, too. I carry a Skeletool now, since I like being able to stick it in my pocket, but this would probably not be a good fit for that kind of use.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Leatherman Surge for me. Reminds me, I broke the pliers in half, need to get that fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've had the original version of the Leatherman Charge for something like 10 years now and it's been great. I can't believe they're so expensive now though—mine was something like $60 and now they're $160.

Someone gave me one of the newer full size Leatherman's, a Surge, and it feels super beefy. Bigger than the Charge by a bit and I think it'd be nicer for junkyard work thanks to that.

Edit: just realized it's a surge, the sidekick is smaller and less nice.

powderific fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 12, 2016