Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Butt Trumpet is my main go-to reference for dumb '90s bands nobody remembers.

I went to a friend's birthday party where the main attraction was trying to pull of Zaireeka and it was 40 solid minutes of "THREE... TWO... ONE... FUUUUUCK!" before we decided we were being taken for a ride and just let it play as is. We also somehow had two copies of Gloss Drop by Battles and played them simultaneously. That was actually really loving awesome. Full disclosure: :catdrugs:

I prefer Cat Butt, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry

abraham linksys posted:

so, i'm curious: what's the least convenient record y'all have ever bought? i just got the Snails' Worth the Wait EP, which is very good and has some beautiful art, but is also 5 very short songs split across two 7"s

it got me wondering if any band has ever just released a long album across a ton of 7"s or something equally annoying

Easy. Metal Box by PiL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Box

The records sound great, but it's a pain in the rear end to open the box. By the time you do, you're already frustrated, putting you in the perfect mood to listen to PiL.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

theradiostillsucks posted:

Are there any legit great bands with two bassists? All I can think of are jazz/prog/metal dudes showing off like a bunch of buttholes or jam band type stuff, all of which I'd file more as a gimmick than a necessity.

Slug

http://www.allmusic.com/album/out-sound-mw0000117369

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

funk_mata posted:

Easy. Metal Box by PiL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Box

The records sound great, but it's a pain in the rear end to open the box. By the time you do, you're already frustrated, putting you in the perfect mood to listen to PiL.

Here's a better box https://www.discogs.com/Gerogerigegege-Shaking-Box-MusicYou-Are-The-Noise-Maker/release/5971693

Are there any legit great bands with two bassists? All I can think of are jazz/prog/metal dudes showing off like a bunch of buttholes or jam band type stuff, all of which I'd file more as a gimmick than a necessity.

there's a few non wanky metal bands that did interesting things with it, like Necromantia and Barathrum.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Chicago's Bear Claw is p good.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
There's a Kickstarter for a Hotline Miami vinyl that has tracks from the first game. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lacedrecords/hotline-miami-collectors-edition-vinyl

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

That may be worth it.

Actually, I dunno if it's going to cost me $50. We don't play triple LPs in this house.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 11, 2016

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

cop shoot cop, black eyes, delta 5, flipper, girls against boys

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 11, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pingiivi posted:

There's a Kickstarter for a Hotline Miami vinyl that has tracks from the first game. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lacedrecords/hotline-miami-collectors-edition-vinyl

Perfect for scrubs like me that missed out on the HLM2 vinyl.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

you have my sincere thanks

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Got something good in the dollar crate at Goodwill today:

Couple thoughts:

I always thought this was more rare than it actually is. Maybe I should have just bought it years ago.

Speaking of annoying records, whose bright idea was it to release a 12" without a sleeve? The cover is just one piece of cardboard, and you have to put it in plastic to keep the disc with it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

wa27 posted:

I always thought this was more rare than it actually is. Maybe I should have just bought it years ago.
That release is fairly maligned/disliked for being a chopped up live show, though Rhino eventually put out a nice CD release with the full concert and the original LP track listing as a bonus feature. More Devo is good Devo as far as I'm concerned.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 12, 2016

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pingiivi posted:

In this vein Perturbator 4th album presale is going on on Blood Music.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

wa27 posted:

Got something good in the dollar crate at Goodwill today:

Couple thoughts:

Speaking of annoying records, whose bright idea was it to release a 12" without a sleeve? The cover is just one piece of cardboard, and you have to put it in plastic to keep the disc with it.

You probably thought it was rare because the tracks are from an LP recorded for a radio show, and that LP is rare enough that it may as well not exist.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
In any case it's absolutely worth owning and finding it at a thrift store is pretty good.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

That release is fairly maligned/disliked for being a chopped up live show, though Rhino eventually put out a nice CD release with the full show and the original LP track listing as a bonus feature. More Devo is good Devo as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I was more familiar with the CD version. It certainly feels like a wasted opportunity to make a full-length live album at the time. Makes sense why it wouldn't command very high prices today. But it does make a nice companion piece to Freedom of Choice, and Be Stiff is included on there so it's alright in my book.

Now I really just need to pick up Duty Now for the Future and that will satisfy my Devo vinyl desires.
edit: Oh, and that Toni Basil album too :v:

wa27 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 12, 2016

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

wa27 posted:

Now I really just need to pick up Duty Now for the Future and that will satisfy my Devo vinyl desires.
It even has a perforation around the picture of Devo on the front that way you can pull it off if you find it distracts you too much from those beautiful bar codes. :buddy:

EDIT: Also "Swelling Itching Brain" is basically the greatest song.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 12, 2016

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Necromantia is very good (metal but not in the way that I think you're thinking of)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Seconding the recommendation a few posts back for Cop Shoot Cop. Legit one of my favorites, and one of the reasons I want to learn bass.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Saturday Mega Haul

Codes galore!

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Thanks for this, I took the Alabama Shakes code.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you like Alabama Shakes, you should also take that Suffers code. They're a great local band.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you like Alabama Shakes, you should also take that Suffers code. They're a great local band.

OK thanks for the recommendation, downloaded that as well.

Handshake Drugs
Oct 21, 2010
Grabbed the Garbage code. Thanks!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah they're amazing, my sister got it for me at their Seattle show. See if they'll be near you here: http://www.thesuffers.com/shows/

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Mulva posted:

Yeah they're amazing, my sister got it for me at their Seattle show. See if they'll be near you here: http://www.thesuffers.com/shows/

They are pretty great, thanks again for the recommendation. Hopefully they'll tour a bit outside of the US and Canada and I can see them.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Mulva posted:

Coming to every city in Georgia* but the one I live in :(

*that matters

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Melvins had two bassists for a while, and they rule (and the records with 2 bassists are really good)

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Melvins had two bassists for a while, and they rule (and the records with 2 bassists are really good)

Which of their records have two bassists?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just researched a new setup, just have to save $1850 if I want to get it all sparkly new

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Has anyone other than me hit up Let's Boogie Records and Tapes in Chicago on Halsted? It's my local record joint now that I moved to Bridgeport.

It's run by some guy named Neal who's had it open since 1976, and it's just him. Hours are unreliable, it's cash-only, but it is a serious throwback record store. The place is kind of a mess, it's packed with records, but Neal's just a totally cool guy to chat with. If you go, expect to dig, but if you have something in particular you want Neal will go dig in his back catalog to find it for you.

Prices are a little on the high side for some stuff (like I found a copy of Village People Go West for $5.00, I paid 50˘ for that at Reckless a few years back) and totally reasonable for others (picked up The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief for $5).

And he's not kidding about the "and Tapes" part. There's a wall full of cassettes - and 8-tracks!

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Went record shopping for the first time in a minute a few days ago.
Bought this almost entirely based on the album art, the fact that it was produced in Oslo sealed the deal for me. Listening it right now and it's some gorgeous free jazz that's heavy on the acoustic guitar.

Letta Mbulu's a favorite of mine, and this record doesn't disappoint. Herb Alpert is listed as the producer, which is neat.

Text on the bottom reads:

“I feel that the spirit of the music I make is universal, like the soul of man. It transcends all psychological, cultural, and racial barriers.
Love, Peace and Progress
Letta Mbulu”

Some A+ digging. These 2 are definitely going in my heavy rotation for a while.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Does anybody here know how I can spot the difference between the mixes of Sam Cooke's Live at the Harlem Square Club? I know one reissue got the bright idea to blow out his vocals until you could hardly hear the rest of the band, while the other is perfect.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
What's the opinion on replacement styluses?

I've specifically got a shure 5x that needs replacing and it looks like options are 15 for a mystery part and 30 for one from lpgear.

Is lp gear generally a trusted source for replacements?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Which of their records have two bassists?

n/m, for some reason I thought the album with Big Business had two bassists and two drummers

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

n/m, for some reason I thought the album with Big Business had two bassists and two drummers

Their new album Basses Loaded has 2 or 3 for some reason.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
So is Discogs pretty much the best place to sell collectible vinyl? I've got a first-press King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard 12 Bar Bruise which currently has two copies listed at $525 and $1000, and wouldn't mind using it to fund a replacement turntable for my currently broken one.

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

minivanmegafun posted:

Has anyone other than me hit up Let's Boogie Records and Tapes in Chicago on Halsted? It's my local record joint now that I moved to Bridgeport.

It's run by some guy named Neal who's had it open since 1976, and it's just him. Hours are unreliable, it's cash-only, but it is a serious throwback record store. The place is kind of a mess, it's packed with records, but Neal's just a totally cool guy to chat with. If you go, expect to dig, but if you have something in particular you want Neal will go dig in his back catalog to find it for you.

Prices are a little on the high side for some stuff (like I found a copy of Village People Go West for $5.00, I paid 50˘ for that at Reckless a few years back) and totally reasonable for others (picked up The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief for $5).

And he's not kidding about the "and Tapes" part. There's a wall full of cassettes - and 8-tracks!

I was actually thinking about my Go West record just now. There's a big tourist trap in my town (which usually has some tourists) that has a decent vinyl selection (overpriced though) and a larger CD selection. It's a huge store and across the street they own another store that is the same size for renting movies. The only way I think they keep in business is probably by selling bong parts and novelty gifts.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I, Butthole posted:

So is Discogs pretty much the best place to sell collectible vinyl? I've got a first-press King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard 12 Bar Bruise which currently has two copies listed at $525 and $1000, and wouldn't mind using it to fund a replacement turntable for my currently broken one.

Are you going to try and undercut those sellers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Youth Conspiracy Records has a mystery box of at least two 12" and at least two 7" for $20. Not a bad deal at all if you're into punk. Box includes both the label and distribution titles so lots of options.