Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who looked that up.
Working Daze wants you to relax.

Of the many WDaze things that are irritating, the strange angles and weird way that women's legs are drawn may bug me the most. Calves do not end above the kneecap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The only good Dilbert character's debut was just as badass as I imagined it would be.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

It was 18 degrees out yesterday, not a cloud in the sky. Went for a bike ride in shorts and a t-shirt.

I live in Canada.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RandomFerret posted:

The only good Dilbert character's debut was just as badass as I imagined it would be.

It was 18 degrees out yesterday, not a cloud in the sky. Went for a bike ride in shorts and a t-shirt.

I live in Canada.

But you come down here on a balmy 36 degree spring day and hoo boy you'll just evaporate won't you

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

Friends, this is the last "Gay and Her Gang," you'll need to get your Gay and Smack elsewhere. The comic didn't run long:

wikipedia posted:

After drawing the flapper strip Gay and Her Gang in 1928-29, she took over Ethel Hays' Flapper Fanny Says panel, which she did for NEA from 1930 to 1936.

Next up, some Flapper Fanny Says, hopefully followed by her own strip, "Mopsy," which was her biggest hit.

wikipedia posted:

Developing Mopsy in 1939, Parker modeled the character on herself. In 1946, she recalled, "I got the idea for Mopsy when the cartoonist Rube Goldberg said my hair looked like a mop. That was several years ago, and she has been my main interest ever since."

Gladys Parker:

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Slammy posted:

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

"I have the key to his heart - smack!" :2bong:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I don't think I ever commented on it, but I did love Gay and Her Gang and I'm sad it didn't go longer. Thanks for posting it.

Also, I want to say that every time I read Good Time Guy I enjoy it, but it's wordy enough that I tend to skip it and go right to Gay and Her Gang and I feel bad about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I hate you, Bernice and Gunther.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big)

Feiffer coulda written for the Fallout games. (CONELRAD was the predecessor to the National Emergency Broadcast System, as it happens.)

And yeah, I liked Gay and her Gang too, mostly for the fashions.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Ah yes, the ambiance. The orange walls with gray fish do give the place a certain je ne sais quoi.

Ms Boods posted:

At this point, I believe in all honesty that the writer of this strip is trolling us.
I have considered that possibility, and I have not dismissed it.

Rex Morgan MD

That rolltop desk better have a hidden treasure map in it.

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Suck it, Web.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
That mark trail storyline is ripping off indiana jones and the last crusade.

I am beginning to think Everette true is an alcoholic, or a recovering one.

It seems like the older comics here, besides ballard street, are actually the better ones too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

That mark trail storyline is ripping off indiana jones and the last crusade.

I am beginning to think Everette true is an alcoholic, or a recovering one.

It seems like the older comics here, besides ballard street, are actually the better ones too.

With over a hundred years of comics to pick from, they'd better be.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Andertoons

I'm pretty sure you're the only person who can lose your carry-on, bud. Maybe don't pack your work poo poo for a vacation.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

The kid's overly formal speech is entirely unrelated to the joke so I can only conclude that Carillo just thinks children speak like that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Well, we know the kid on the right didn't throw it since he has no arms.

*Yes, I know they're behind his back.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Wallace the Brave

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Keep the change, you Filthy Animal Comix.

Pooch Café

You're dogs. If you saw a dead skunk in the road you'd roll around on it til your eyes started burning.

Ballard Street

Not pictured: the huge pile of bleach, sawdust and pigeon carcasses out back. They took it one step too far one time too many, and every custodial worker has their breaking point.

Lost Side of Suburbia

That's not how chameleons work. That's never been how chameleons work.

It is, however, exactly how cuttlefish work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgDE2DOICuc

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
While we're waiting for Berke to finish two dozen Bill The Cat books, here's a fistful Skippy. (January 9-11, 1929)

Peanuts: Houston, the beagle has landed. :patriot: (March 14, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 30-December 1, 1928)

The lighter side of cheating co-workers out of national holidays!

Thimble Theater (September 28, 1929)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine Meets the GOP Primary

The Phantom

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Has Walker been possessed by the Spectre? Cause that's what it looks like.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes offer more political allegories, this time about nuclear armaments.

Ripley's

e: Gonna miss Smack and Gay.
Horrifying.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 11, 2016

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

TofuDiva posted:

Of the many WDaze things that are irritating, the strange angles and weird way that women's legs are drawn may bug me the most. Calves do not end above the kneecap.

Except for the fat nerdy woman this artist draws every one of their women with shapely bodies and weird featureless babyfaces that dont match the rest of the body. Also all of their faces are identical, as opposed to the male characters who have pretty good variety in features and bodies.

Also, you know, stuff like this

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Well, what's the alternative if you're... whatever the king guy's name is? This nation is apparently small and unstable enough that one angry dude is a legitimate threat to the throne, and one other angry dude with a dogwolf can put that guy down. You can't just give him a stern warning and let him go. You can let him rot in prison, I suppose, but if he ever gets out he's a danger again. Even in prison, he's hanging out with a bunch of other people who likely aren't too fond of the king; a prison break could be disastrous. Exiling him is an option, but exiles can raise an army and come back. As king, you don't want people thinking they can just go around plotting against you and you're fine with it. So what do you do about it, Phantom? Put him in a cage in the deep woods to be gawked at by natives for the rest of his life?

Surprise, surprise! We better get Mike Rowe in here because being the dictator of a small Euro-African nation-state is a dirty job.

Luann

You can almost bring me to believe that Tiff has hair clippers because she's shown aptitude for styling hair in the past.

No way in hell does Bernice have hair clippers. She has a hairbrush and a comb. If she wants a haircut she goes to a salon or she preys on Tiff's hunger for simple human kindness to get her to do her hair for her. The closest thing Bern has to clippers is a regular pair of scissors. The only thing she has that's designed for cutting hair is a pink Venus razor. Don't you tell me she could borrow from her roomie; Dez doesn't even have the razor.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big)

Feiffer is goddamned amazing when he's on point.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (February 16, 1951)

Barnaby (July 24, 1942)

Nancy (April 2, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (December 14, 1928)

Gasoline Alley (January 12, 1923)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

That's not how chameleons work. That's never been how chameleons work.

It is, however, exactly how cuttlefish work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgDE2DOICuc

I too, would love for there to be a Cuttlefish in that comic.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

One side butter, one side syrup, with only the middle having the right combination of both butter and syrup.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"Even after all these years, you can still see the stain!"

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Oh yeah! :quagmire:

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

karmicknight posted:

I too, would love for there to be a Cuttlefish in that comic.

Pretty sure most of them work for Slynderfell.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

Took me a minute to realize that's the back of a guys head and not a topless woman bending over with her hands on the wall.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Hugh clearly hasn't spent much time in a McEldowney strip.

Pretty meta of Brooke to use my facial expressions when reading his strips as a study for this lady's face today.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Did he buy the P-p-p-p-p-p-powerbook?

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

kith_groupie posted:

Pretty meta of Brooke to use my facial expressions when reading his strips as a study for this lady's face today.

Sadly, he didn't use them for the other guy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cosima posted:

Took me a minute to realize that's the back of a guys head and not a topless woman bending over with her hands on the wall.

Comic Strip Megathread 10-2: Free Rorschach testing

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set helps their neighbor.

Working Daze makes a mess.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix starts an expanded universe.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Wanamingo posted:

Zippy the Pinhead

Trump is a BA from Wharton. Teddybear Cruz is Princeton and Harvard Law. Nobody will care anything about Rubio or Kasich, the state u grads, after about half-past June. What the hell is Griffy on about, or is he just dopey on rubber cement fumes again?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (March 13-14, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (June 14-16, 1954)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says (April, 1930, The Milwaukee Journal)

wikipedia posted:

Flapper Fanny Says from Newspaper Enterprise Association was a single-panel daily cartoon series starting in about 1924, with a Sunday page following in 1928. Each episode featured a flapper illustration and a witticism. It continued into the 1940s as Flapper Fanny.
Despite this immediate success, Hays—finding the daily workload too heavy after the birth of her second child—turned Flapper Fanny Says over to promising newcomer Gladys Parker around 1931. Parker gave it a "more cartoony style", and her flapper protagonists came to resemble the artist herself. Parker began drawing her own creation Mopsy in 1939 (also in her own image), but she seems to have relinquished Flapper Fanny Says to Sylvia Sneidman by 1937 or earlier.
Actually, Parker started in 1930, but you were close, Wikipedia.

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

• Locked thread