Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Speaking of Cash and Guns, I keep hearing about how the older version is better than the current one. Any reasons why?

I also believe that the BangBangBang cards were removed, so there are no hard choices about when to use your single trump card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Played Keyflower yesterday, lost because my friends are dicks and I didn't understand why moving poo poo around was important.

But mostly because my friends are dicks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jivjov posted:

Quick Tokaido question: I've been eyeing it at a FLGS, and want to know what I need to buy to have "everything". If I'm reading it right, I just need the Tokaido Deluxe box and the Matsuri expansion...correct? Deluxe includes Crossroads and the Collector's Accessories?

It better loving hadn't, because lots of backers still don't have their Collectors Editions.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

COOL CORN posted:

Warhammer Quest: ACG is really fun. Really, really fun.

After I worked out a lot of the kinks (the rulebook is pretty bad), I got into a flow and was having a good time. I played the first campaign quest with the Ironbreaker and the Bright Mage, and juuuust about died. There's enough going on to keep me engaged, though it often felt like a stripped down version of LOTR:TCG. One would think that only have 4 possible actions per turn would make it feel samey, but it really didn't. The dice actually add to the gameplay instead of making it feel random.

Overall, a good fun time.

I'm really tempted to buy it cause it looks like the playtime won't be that long and I like the kinda card based combat.

Could this game scratch the Mage Knight but shorter itch? (I really really want a shorter Mage Knight like game with a similar combat mechanic)

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Fat Samurai posted:

Played Keyflower yesterday, lost because my friends are dicks and I didn't understand why moving poo poo around was important.

But mostly because my friends are dicks.

Played Keyflower today. Won because my girlfriend didn't understand why moving poo poo around/upgrading was important and I was a dick :D

I'm already starting to see how this game can be brutal. Nothing compares to the :smug: of plonking down a green meeple as a "gently caress you, I get this."

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Have some extra cash and want to buy a game or two because. Normal group consists of my wife and I. Flaws or suggestions with the below..

Game up for consideration are, front runners in bold:

Patchwork
Commands and Colors
Mage knight - she will never play it
Dungeon Petz
Fields or Arle
Keyflower
Istanbul
Kings Forge
7 wonders duel ??

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Merauder posted:

Cash 'n Guns 2nd Ed
e: I was beaten, fools on me for not noticing a new page.
They also got rid of Bang! Bang! Bang! cards which let you shoot before people with regular Bang!'s.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Ropes4u posted:

Have some extra cash and want to buy a game or two because. Normal group consists of my wife and I. Flaws or suggestions with the below..

Fields or Arle

Fields of Arle is a great game.

It feels like a friendly competition and you can't really be a dick in this game cause even if you take an action that the other player really needed there is a copy action. Maybe if you are competing for buildings but even then there is so much other stuff you can do that I don't really think it matters.

I think it is a really relaxing game and I like it a lot.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 11, 2016

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

edit: nevermind

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition:. Is there any counter to Dracula simply going to sea and sailing around, sticking up his fingers at the hunters, then finally coming ashore in week 3 and running about for 6-7 turns?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Yoshimo posted:

Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition:. Is there any counter to Dracula simply going to sea and sailing around, sticking up his fingers at the hunters, then finally coming ashore in week 3 and running about for 6-7 turns?

The fact that dracula can't place encounter cards on the sea and also takes damage constantly? 2 for going to sea and 1 for each space thereafter? And y'know, if you can make a reasonable guess as to where Dracula is, the hunters can just camp at ports.
Also if Dracula waits untill week 3 to go to sea, fury of dracula doesn't trigger from sea cards.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Ropes4u posted:

Patchwork
Commands and Colors
Dungeon Petz
Fields or Arle
Keyflower
Istanbul
Kings Forge
7 wonders duel ??

7 Wonders Duel and Patchwork are definitely great for exclusively 2p, as is Keyflower if you don't mind something a bit more confrontational. I'd also recommend Tash Kalar if you don't mind something more brain burny. I haven't played Dungeon Petz 2p, but it works pretty well apparently.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yoshimo posted:

I haven't played 3E, but in the original game Dracula had to tell the Hunters when he embarked, lost blood every turn he was at sea, and couldn't advance his win condition or play threats. Staying at sea for three turns would weaken him considerably while only allowing his opponents to get stronger.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
The last time we played this I did exactly this tactic and won. I took something like 11 damage in total, but what does that matter when you just need to be less than 15?

Especially factoring in the restorative powers Feed and Castle Dracula (albeit you would need to go ashore.)

Fair enough I wasn't at sea for the whole 3 weeks - I did a bit of dancing about in the UK/Ireland. But it just seems a bit daft you can sail off on a nice 6-7 day voyage and there's nothing the hunters can do other than wait for you to land.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

Society and social interactions are just a meta-game between rounds :eng101:

This. I don't really mind losing, but my default behaviour is to play to win. If I enjoy the game, I need other people to enjoy the game so I can keep playing. So if I'm dominating, I have to lose some of the time to keep certain others in my group from getting discouraged. I want them to want to play, and sometimes you need a carrot.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Ropes4u posted:

Patchwork
Commands and Colors
Dungeon Petz
Fields or Arle
Keyflower
Istanbul
Kings Forge
7 wonders duel ??

I'd grab Patchwork and Istanbul off that list. Istanbul plays just as well with 2 as it does 4. King's Forge is a nice little light dice roller, but I can't imagine it'd be great with just two, though I haven't tried it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Selecta84 posted:

I'm really tempted to buy it cause it looks like the playtime won't be that long and I like the kinda card based combat.

Could this game scratch the Mage Knight but shorter itch? (I really really want a shorter Mage Knight like game with a similar combat mechanic)

To me it doesn't scratch the same itch as Mage Knight. It's apples and oranges in my opinion.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

taser rates posted:

7 Wonders Duel and Patchwork are definitely great for exclusively 2p, as is Keyflower if you don't mind something a bit more confrontational. I'd also recommend Tash Kalar if you don't mind something more brain burny. I haven't played Dungeon Petz 2p, but it works pretty well apparently.

Dungeon Petz definitely works for 2p. You add neutral workers to spots that eliminate a lot of actions and it still feels like you're always just scraping by and having to plan things two steps ahead. Highly recommended.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Ropes4u posted:

Patchwork
Commands and Colors
Dungeon Petz
Fields or Arle
Keyflower
Istanbul
Kings Forge
7 wonders duel ??

Which Commands and Colors? They're both excellent, but Ancients is a little more straightforward than Napoleonics.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Ropes4u posted:

Patchwork
Commands and Colors
Dungeon Petz
Fields or Arle
Keyflower
Istanbul
Kings Forge
7 wonders duel ??

Patchwork is amazing, but the app just came out. It's a pretty good board game app and only costs $3. So if you have a tablet, I'd recommend buying the Patchwork app and getting something else with the spare cash, like Istanbul.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Selecta84 posted:

Fields of Arle is a great game.

It feels like a friendly competition and you can't really be a dick in this game cause even if you take an action that the other player really needed there is a copy action. Maybe if you are competing for buildings but even then there is so much other stuff you can do that I don't really think it matters.

I think it is a really relaxing game and I like it a lot.

I agree. Even my wife liked it and she really doesn't like boardgames. It's been a hit for everyone I've shown it to.

PAL-18
Jan 21, 2007

Wanna see my batteries?

Ropes4u posted:

Patchwork
Commands and Colors
Dungeon Petz
Fields or Arle
Keyflower
Istanbul
Kings Forge
7 wonders duel ??

Dungeon Petz is fine at 2p but it becomes way more confrontational. But if Keyflower is a front runner, this might not be an issue. You could try a few games on http://www.boiteajeux.net/ to make sure it works for you and your wife. While you're there, you could also try Concordia. We found it works great at 2 on the smaller map, scales easily for more players on the larger map, and is trivially easy to teach.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

golden bubble posted:

Patchwork is amazing, but the app just came out. It's a pretty good board game app and only costs $3. So if you have a tablet, I'd recommend buying the Patchwork app and getting something else with the spare cash, like Istanbul.

On the other hand, my GF and I have probably 10 games played on the app, but double that amount of abandoned games because of how buggy the app is. It will regularly just completely forget about games that you're a part of and they won't come back even after resyncing the app to your iCloud/Google account. It's not a super big deal, but it kinda sucks to abandon a game in the middle.

Also, it's sometimes difficult to determine how many blocks a particular shape has with the interface. The physical game gives you the benefit of being able to pick up the piece and figure out how it fits before you actually "commit" to buying it. In the app, you don't get the chance to fit the piece in until after you've already purchased it, and there's no way to "take back" a move.

Don't get me wrong, the game itself is fantastic and the app is absolutely worth the price of admission as long as you're cognizant of the issues it has. It's nice being able to play the game asymmetrically (you have 24 hours per turn in both friendly and ranked), and being able to quickly see what pieces you can buy and fit into your board is a nice little QoL thing that the app has over the physical version.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Personally, I'm just salty about people spilling drinks on my god damned $50 board games.:mad:

$50? I try to not think about what it meant when someone spilled stuff on my Food Chain Magnate player aids.

Then again, unless damage to a piece makes the game need a replacement part, I tend to not give a gently caress? If the board game is one I'm invariably going to keep (see: every Splotter game I've gotten except maybe Greed, Inc.), they're going to have to buckle up, buttercup.

The way I treat my copy of Container might be a crime.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

COOL CORN posted:

To me it doesn't scratch the same itch as Mage Knight. It's apples and oranges in my opinion.

I see

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Selecta84 posted:

They're very different games and the combat systems have nothing at all in common. WHQ's combat isn't even card based. It's dice based, although they're some of the best designed dice I've ever seen and tend to give the illusion of chance more than anything. I wouldn't pick up WHQ hoping for anything like Mage Knight and I say that as someone who plays and likes both. They just take entirely different approaches.

It is much shorter and faster though. And far less fiddly. If you played Heroquest or Warhammer Quest or Descent or whatever and wanted to like them more than you actually did, the new Warhammer Quest is probably a good choice for you. It captures the fun parts of those games, abstracts away the chaff and is short enough that nothing outstays its welcome.

If you're looking for a dungeon crawler with a Eurogame vibe to it though, it's definitely not the game you're looking for.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 11, 2016

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

A shorter dungeon crawler would be nice... I used to play a lot of descent and atm i just can't bring up the will to set all the stuff up and play for 3-5 hours.

So that may make me buy it. (When it gets a german reprint)

So are the other games that are like mage knight but shorter? The combat specifically.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Yoshimo posted:

He takes 1 damage per round when he's at sea, lands in a fairly easily-guessed location once one or more of his sea cards drops off the board, then is summarily executed by the exceptionally-well-prepared Hunters because it's REALLY easy to deduce where he is when he's running around at sea a lot.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Selecta84 posted:

A shorter dungeon crawler would be nice... I used to play a lot of descent and atm i just can't bring up the will to set all the stuff up and play for 3-5 hours.

So are the other games that are like mage knight but shorter? The combat specifically.

You should try some of the Blitz MK variants if you want shorter games. I don't think any other game out there is quite like Mage Knight, unfortunately.

Comedy Option: Wait for the Star Trek reskin of Mage Knight to be released.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ojetor posted:

You should try some of the Blitz MK variants if you want shorter games. I don't think any other game out there is quite like Mage Knight, unfortunately.

Comedy Option: Wait for the Star Trek reskin of Mage Knight to be released.

The problem with Mage Knight is setting it up. There are lots of little bits and tokens and cards and stuff to arrange, after getting it all out I don't want to play just a short Blitz game.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

That's why i made an inlay. Setup takes likes 5-8 minutes, longer if I use the pre game level up option from shardes of tezla.

But yeah, the game and the upkeep is bit fidly sometimes and i would love to just have some kind of pure mage knight card game

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Selecta84 posted:

The Lord of the Rings LCG has similarities--a deck of allies and actions that you play through one hand at a time, assigning defenders and attackers, distributing damage, etc. It's a rabbit hole if you want to maximize your deck options, but the Core Set is fun by itself if you plan to just play solo or with 2 players.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Rutibex posted:

The problem with Mage Knight is setting it up. There are lots of little bits and tokens and cards and stuff to arrange, after getting it all out I don't want to play just a short Blitz game.

Keep the bits in bags.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

CaptainRightful posted:

The Lord of the Rings LCG has similarities--a deck of allies and actions that you play through one hand at a time, assigning defenders and attackers, distributing damage, etc. It's a rabbit hole if you want to maximize your deck options, but the Core Set is fun by itself if you plan to just play solo or with 2 players.

I was thinking about trying the LOTR lcg but I know myself to well. I would really have to restrain myself really hard from getting all the expansions if I like it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

If you're looking for a dungeon crawler with a Eurogame vibe to it though, it's definitely not the game you're looking for.

Gloomhaven! (Once it's out)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jedit posted:

It better loving hadn't, because lots of backers still don't have their Collectors Editions.

Oh; was Tokaido a kickstarter thing? I only learned of its existence from seeing it on a shelf.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jivjov posted:

Oh; was Tokaido a kickstarter thing? I only learned of its existence from seeing it on a shelf.

The CE was. The original game was released several years ago.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The new loot system in C&G2E is so much worse than the original.

In the original, everybody who was left standing got loot, it was the same amount of loot, and you could gently caress with the other players' abilities to get loot by using the amount of standing players to screw EVERYBODY including yourself out of loot. Loot was always cash and the other resources dwindled over the course of the game.

In 2nd Edition, there's a Godfather. The Godfather is a player who can make one player aim away from them every round, and then takes first turn when selecting loot. Loot is taken 1 piece at a time, and there are a bunch of new categories of loot added like healing items, more ammo, and loot that is only worth cash when combined with others of its type. The difference between each piece of loot is not the difference between $20k and $5k, it's now the difference between $100k and $0k. Turn order can completely gently caress you over.

It gets worse. In order to become the Godfather, you must try to take the Godfather's desk token instead of taking a piece of Loot during a distribution round. That seems tidy on the surface, given that Godfather is such a ludicrously powerful ability, but you don't take the Godfather by just sacrificing your loot claim action. You take the Godfather by flipping the desk token (as if it were a coin), and if it lands heads-up you inherit the status. If it lands tails-up, you wasted your action. It's so loving asinine and indicative of the greater design problems both with C&G2E and with lovely monkey cheese games as a whole.

These geniuses also redid all the player powers to make them Wackier and More Fun, much like coin flips and Kovalic's artwork make the core aspects of the game Wackier and More Fun. What a shitshow.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Azran posted:

Gloomhaven! (Once it's out)

Ha, I actually had a post typed up about it but it's going to be English only and it looked the dude was waiting for a German translation of WHQ.

But yes, if Gloomhaven is as good as it looks like it might be, it will as close as I can think of to a lighter, faster, dungeon crawler Mage Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

The new loot system in C&G2E is so much worse than the original.

In the original, everybody who was left standing got loot, it was the same amount of loot, and you could gently caress with the other players' abilities to get loot by using the amount of standing players to screw EVERYBODY including yourself out of loot. Loot was always cash and the other resources dwindled over the course of the game.

In 2nd Edition, there's a Godfather. The Godfather is a player who can make one player aim away from them every round, and then takes first turn when selecting loot. Loot is taken 1 piece at a time, and there are a bunch of new categories of loot added like healing items, more ammo, and loot that is only worth cash when combined with others of its type. The difference between each piece of loot is not the difference between $20k and $5k, it's now the difference between $100k and $0k. Turn order can completely gently caress you over.

It gets worse. In order to become the Godfather, you must try to take the Godfather's desk token instead of taking a piece of Loot during a distribution round. That seems tidy on the surface, given that Godfather is such a ludicrously powerful ability, but you don't take the Godfather by just sacrificing your loot claim action. You take the Godfather by flipping the desk token (as if it were a coin), and if it lands heads-up you inherit the status. If it lands tails-up, you wasted your action. It's so loving asinine and indicative of the greater design problems both with C&G2E and with lovely monkey cheese games as a whole.

These geniuses also redid all the player powers to make them Wackier and More Fun, much like coin flips and Kovalic's artwork make the core aspects of the game Wackier and More Fun. What a shitshow.

I didn't know you flipped the desk like a coin. I thought you just flipped it over to indicate it was taken.

The powers are garbage though.

I also remember there were coward tokens or something?