Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Slugnoid posted:

22,000 ISIS members just got doxed by an FSA turncoat.

http://news.sky.com/story/1656777/is-registration-forms-identify-22000-jihadis

It's kinda big news in that a lot of these guys might have already snuck back into the west with the waves of refugees out of Syria.

quote:

Disillusioned with the Islamic State leadership, he says it has now been taken over by former soldiers from the Iraqi Baath party of Saddam Hussein.

Awesome, still getting hosed over by a bullshit war from a decade and a half ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Rush hour on the freeway means you're going 20 miles an hour around here so that seems pretty safe to me.

drat, that sounds awesome. If I could go 20 mph during rush hour I'd take the highway all the time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

At the very end of my driving test I parked and the instructor and I were about to get out when another person taking her test rear ended us in the parking lot. Her instructor got out, asked if we were ok, and then just bluntly looked at the horrified girl and said, "Well, you did really well up until you failed." I felt really bad for her.

Taking my sister to get her license, the lady in front of us gunned her Taurus and perched it atop one of those parking curbs where it balanced, wheels just touching the ground, but not quiet enough traction to get itself off.

These stories are far more interesting now that you can take pictures when it happens.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Rush hour on the freeway means you're going 20 miles an hour around here so that seems pretty safe to me.

The tail end of rush hour (6:30). Still lots of volume, but she hit 70 mph. My first thought was that scene from Clueless.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Once again I'm really glad to live in the UK, for all it's sins it's one of the safest countries in terms of traffic incidents in the world, and I still see cars upside down at the side of the road on a regular basis.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

ShineDog posted:

Once again I'm really glad to live in the UK, for all it's sins it's one of the safest countries in terms of traffic incidents in the world, and I still see cars upside down at the side of the road on a regular basis.

Probably because of the hedgerowed bobsled runs you call roads.

holttho
May 21, 2007

gettin' hedgerown'd

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
I remember being 16 and thinking I was a really good driver. :cripes: You shouldn't be able to drive until you're 18 at least.

I realize this entails a lot of logistics and that 16 year olds need to get places and that this would probably disproportionately impact people of color and poor people. I'm just saying if we had better public transportation, etc.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When people confuse the gas pedal for the brake they quite often panic and try to brake harder which of course means that they just keep accelerating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Cg_PJYR78

This is remarkable.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Decrepus posted:

This is remarkable.

An old goodie in the same category. Parking lot monster trucking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LQaEkFBCls

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

To give him his due he did manage to break two rods at the same time

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A real child tries to lean on a virtual desk

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

First class of her required six hours of on the road instruction, the little old lady driving instructor took my daughter out on the interstate during rush hour. Just sat in the passenger seat eating pretzels.

My driving instructor when I learned to drive in southern California was a woman who, completely seriously, pointed out every Asian woman driver in nearby cars and told me to be very careful around them. It was really weird.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

El Cid posted:

My driving instructor when I learned to drive in southern California was a woman who, completely seriously, pointed out every Asian woman driver in nearby cars and told me to be very careful around them. It was really weird.

There's actually some factual basis to this though because studies have shown in countries such as China and Korea that the driver at fault is overwhelmingly Asian.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

El Cid posted:

My driving instructor told me to honk at every hot woman we came across. Told me it built diffuse awareness. He also told me he spent my entire upfront payment on hookers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pillow Hat posted:

I remember being 16 and thinking I was a really good driver. :cripes: You shouldn't be able to drive until you're 18 at least.

I realize this entails a lot of logistics and that 16 year olds need to get places and that this would probably disproportionately impact people of color and poor people. I'm just saying if we had better public transportation, etc.

When I was a kid you could pass the test on your 16th birthday and have a full unrestricted license.

Then they noticed all the dead 16 year olds. Now it's a restrictive license until your 18 unless you pass driver's ed.

nerdz posted:

My driving instructor told me to honk at every hot woman we came across. Told me it built diffuse awareness. He also told me he spent my entire upfront payment on hookers.

My dad taught me to drive too.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aerdan posted:

Raw milk is perfectly fine as long as the supply chain is short and everything between you and the cow (including the cow) is as clean as possible. And by 'short', I mean you'd better be drinking it the same day it comes from the cow.

Lactose tolerance is a rare genetic mutation that should be wiped out by fire and steel if necessary.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Krispy Kareem posted:

When I was a kid you could pass the test on your 16th birthday and have a full unrestricted license.

Then they noticed all the dead 16 year olds. Now it's a restrictive license until your 18 unless you pass driver's ed.

My dad taught me to drive too.

I used to get mad at people in traffic in this country. Then I realized that a lot of people get what is essentially a 3rd world level driving education because rights. Now things make more sense.
I see multiple cars without lights in the pre-dawn darkness every day. Lane changes are rarely signaled, not even by police vehicles.

I guess the Schadenfreude is me for getting mad at US drivers.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Krispy Kareem posted:

When my youngest brother turned 16, I was shocked (while nodding in agreement) with the restrictions he faced. I got my license in like 5 minutes and was a full blown unrestricted driver. My permit required nothing other than a class and a few watchings of Red Asphalt. I drove my dad's manual transmission truck around the neighborhood a few times in that year. Then it was like "okay, drive around the block and just leave the car anywhere. Great get out there champ you passed with a 1/1 here's a license" on my sixteenth birthday.

My brother couldn't have passengers and couldn't drive at night or some poo poo for like a year. I had to drive like 8 people to school in my beater 1980 Civic every day.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Lactose tolerance is a rare genetic mutation that should be wiped out by fire and steel if necessary.

What? Why? Milk is delicious.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TotalLossBrain posted:

I used to get mad at people in traffic in this country. Then I realized that a lot of people get what is essentially a 3rd world level driving education because rights.

That's if they even got a driving education
I'M TRAVELLING! FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT! FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT!! I DO NOT CONSENT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCozh_vbYdM

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gorilla Salad posted:

And any time it isn't people get sick and children die.

But, mmm, tasty.

Hell, I had an uncle with a dairy farm when I was a kid and drank fresh milk every time we visited and loved it. But we would never take any home and got our milk from the milkman like sane people, because being able to have breakfast without worrying if it was going to loving kill us was more important than any half-imagined advantages in flavour.

Maybe counts as some 'freude, there used to be a guy at one of my past jobs who was one of those "all natural" types - did a lot of his own gardening, had a chicken coop and I think his dad owned a farm. Dumbass got sick several times when he'd bring fresh farm milk in from a day before that barely got refrigerated and drink it through the day. We'd even find jars of curdled milk and witnessed him on at least one occasion opening the jar, sniffing, then closing and putting back in the fridge :barf:

Then again he quit because he was incompetent and on the verge of being fired, so yeah.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SLOSifl posted:

When my youngest brother turned 16, I was shocked (while nodding in agreement) with the restrictions he faced. I got my license in like 5 minutes and was a full blown unrestricted driver. My permit required nothing other than a class and a few watchings of Red Asphalt. I drove my dad's manual transmission truck around the neighborhood a few times in that year. Then it was like "okay, drive around the block and just leave the car anywhere. Great get out there champ you passed with a 1/1 here's a license" on my sixteenth birthday.

My brother couldn't have passengers and couldn't drive at night or some poo poo for like a year. I had to drive like 8 people to school in my beater 1980 Civic every day.

My brother recently moved to Biloxi and his driving test was basically "Drive around this circle without hitting anything. Okay, you passed." Not even a parking test, let alone driving on a road.

Chances are that you're driving past a ton of unlicensed drivers, though: an estimated 2.6% of drivers don't have valid licenses, but 18.2% of fatal crashes from 2000 to 2009 involved an unlicensed driver and a very high proportion of drivers who are DUI or flee the scene of the crash are unlicensed. Turns out that taking away or suspending licenses from alcoholics doesn't exactly keep them from driving after half a bottle of scotch.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

chitoryu12 posted:

Turns out that taking away or suspending licenses from alcoholics doesn't exactly keep them from driving after half a bottle of scotch.

Well, nothing was going to stop them anyway in many cases. I guess at least this way it makes it possible to load on a bunch more years to their prison sentence if they survive the crash.

A guy in Australia had his licence revoked and he's been banned from driving until 2092 but he's been charged for driving without a licence a further 28 times. He's been chucked in jail several times, had several other sentences suspended and had warrants issued on him when he's failed to show up to court but he just won't stop driving.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...72e51d3ae00b4f2

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

There was a guy in my high school who was borderline retarded (like, legit he was developmentally disabled) who took a right on a red in a "no right on red intersection" He passed the driving test. I really wish it wasn't racist to ask for more strict requirements for getting a driver's license, but realistically all that means is more unlicensed drivers which sucks.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Turns out that taking away or suspending licenses from alcoholics doesn't exactly keep them from driving after half a bottle of scotch.

If they can't drive after half a bottle of scotch, they're not much of an alcoholic though.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ranbo das posted:

There was a guy in my high school who was borderline retarded (like, legit he was developmentally disabled) who took a right on a red in a "no right on red intersection" He passed the driving test. I really wish it wasn't racist to ask for more strict requirements for getting a driver's license, but realistically all that means is more unlicensed drivers which sucks.
Borderline retards are a race now? Or am I missing something?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hyperlynx posted:

Maybe the retard has been racing cars? He's a car racerist??

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hyperlynx posted:

Strict requirements for things like driving, voting, etc. have often been used to keep disadvantaged people disadvantaged.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

My state has a graduated driver's license system, with different levels available at age 14, 16, and 18. I waited until I was 23 and received my full license right away because being over 18 makes you a good driver, even though I had never driven a car outside of a video game before.

I commented that the test way a lot easier than I was expecting and they openly told me that the test was meant to be nearly impossible to fail, since they knew that people were going to drive no matter what and they might as well collect the licensing fees and have everyone's info on record.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

WickedHate posted:

Strict requirements for things like driving, voting, etc. have often been used to keep disadvantaged people disadvantaged.

Oh right, that :(

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Thanks for the 52 Mb gif :negative:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh right, that :(

It doesn't mean that strict requirements are inherently bad, just that they must also be fair.

If you have any sort of impairment that prevents you from driving safely, then you shouldn't drat well be driving.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRu_rvHzs88

New failarmy (don't think it's been posted yet).

Possibly the worst fastest and most painful faceplant at 5:22.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

wayne curr posted:

Thanks for the 52 Mb gif :negative:

Sorry, the gifv wouldn't embed. I'm a bad person.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dillbag posted:

Sorry, the gifv wouldn't embed. I'm a bad person.

For some drat reason they don't embed in the preview, but they do when you actually make the post.

http://i.imgur.com/hp9RB6Q.gifv

making the post pictured here

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's if they even got a driving education
I'M TRAVELLING! FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT! FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT!! I DO NOT CONSENT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCozh_vbYdM

I will never get tired of videos like these. :allears:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Wanamingo posted:

For some drat reason they don't embed in the preview, but they do when you actually make the post.

http://i.imgur.com/hp9RB6Q.gifv

making the post pictured here

You see that just shows up as a still image for me (iPad).

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

iOS isn't exactly a fan of the gifv/webm format, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's the same with tweets, I thought I was doing it wrong because they don't preview.