Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Palladium posted:

It's frankly ridiculous that Android still CANNOT get something as simple as a SDcard right in 2016. Just what exactly is so hard about making the SDcard purely as a media storage device and leaving all the system/app files in the much faster onboard flash, instead of Google and the OEMs flip-flopping all over the place for the past few years. These jokers aren't doing any favors to their bottom line considering how unprofitable the Android handset business already is.
Up to half the advertised storage is taken up by system images that are full of useless bloated poo poo, also 1-2GB mobile games and other apps are now common but rear end in a top hat handset manufacturers still won't offer decent amounts of internal storage without marking it up 1000%

Adopted storage is a compromise that is a lot better than Lollipop external storage where you literally have to go and move all your apps to the SD card again every time they are updated via Google Play, plus most games/apps won't store their additional data externally. With a fast, quality UHS 1 or 3 card, adopted storage is fine and a shitload cheaper for the consumer but it will forever be a point of contention in this thread because reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Syrinxx posted:

With a fast, quality UHS 1 or 3 card, adopted storage is fine and a shitload cheaper for the consumer but it will forever be a point of contention in this thread because the average phone user thinks that Komputerbay is a quality microSD brand

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sounds like the average phone user's problem.

I still don't loving believe that there are real living breathing thinking human beings in this thread that think that microSD slots and replaceable batteries going away are a good thing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

They really aren't necessary.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Daily Forecast posted:

Competent users are a rounding error and every user's money spends the same.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I have not felt the need for extra storage on 32 gigabytes with a minimalist rom, however a removable battery would be great as my device is nearing the end of its life on the current battery.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

And then there's the Chinese fake sd cards, the ones that report as 32gb of storage but actually have 8 or 4. Everything you write beyond actual capacity isn't actually written at all.

But they're cheaper on amazon!!!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

I still don't loving believe that there are real living breathing thinking human beings in this thread that think that microSD slots and replaceable batteries going away are a good thing.

Some people don't hoard media.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I should splurge for the S7 or take advantage of discounts and get an S6 Edge because it's not that much slower and it is oh so much prettier. Life is full of hard and trivial decisions.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Eej posted:

I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I should splurge for the S7 or take advantage of discounts and get an S6 Edge because it's not that much slower and it is oh so much prettier. Life is full of hard and trivial decisions.

Get the S7, you're worth it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

Some people hoard media, but not on their phone.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Whizbang posted:

Get the S7, you're worth it.

I have an S7. I love the S7.

However.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqmJfOLZmZY&t=567s

Sounds like the Verizon version is just as shitted up with bloat as the AT&T version, if not more.

DO NOT get an AT&T or Verizon Samsung phone. Don't support this bullshit.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

And? 'Some' people shouldn't get to dictate that an entire, widely-used feature get removed. It turns phones from repairable, flexible devices into disposable poo poo that you're expected to replace every 18 months and the build quality of last year's Nexus phones shows this.

"You know what'd be great? If my phone was disposable and had less features but cost just as much" - actual human beings in this thread.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There is a reasonably logical argument that removable batteries add both weight and cost to a phone (though the latter is somewhat difficult to quantify since there are a lot of other variables).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

And? 'Some' people shouldn't get to dictate that an entire, widely-used feature get removed. It turns phones from repairable, flexible devices into disposable poo poo that you're expected to replace every 18 months and the build quality of last year's Nexus phones shows this.

"You know what'd be great? If my phone was disposable and had less features but cost just as much" - actual human beings in this thread.

No one in this thread is dictating anything, market forces and engineering realities do. If people want features, they'll vote for them with their purchases and as it stands right now 45% of smartphone buyers prefer an embedded battery and no SD support or if they don't prefer that, they don't consider them important enough to sway their opinion.

On a personal note I would never buy anything based on feature count. I'd say I value a cohesive and well thought out user experience more than anything with aesthetics being a close second. In almost all things I'd prefer something that does a few specific things well to something that does more things less well.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Is it too much to ask to have somewhere to store my 1 TB of anime on my phone?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
PULL UP THREAD, PULL UP

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

vyst posted:

Is it too much to ask to have somewhere to store my 1 TB of anime on my phone?
I'm waiting for someone to buy a small USB hard drive and gluing it to their phone. Just use the USB otg cable as a cyberpunk keychain and never drop your phone again.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

No one in this thread is dictating anything, market forces and engineering realities do. If people want features, they'll vote for them with their purchases and as it stands right now 45% of smartphone buyers prefer an embedded battery and no SD support or if they don't prefer that, they don't consider them important enough to sway their opinion.

Hmmm, I dunno about that. Samsung removed SD card support for the Galaxy S6 and sales went down. They added back SD card support on the S7 and presales are breaking records.

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s7-pre-orders-stronger-expected-samsung-says
http://www.androidcentral.com/more-people-pre-ordered-galaxy-s7-uk-any-previous-samsung-smarpthone

Not scientific unfortunately, there's more than one difference from the S6 to the S7 so maybe it's one of the other features / promotions doing it for them.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Rastor posted:

Hmmm, I dunno about that. Samsung removed SD card support for the Galaxy S6 and sales went down. They added back SD card support on the S7 and presales are breaking records.

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s7-pre-orders-stronger-expected-samsung-says
http://www.androidcentral.com/more-people-pre-ordered-galaxy-s7-uk-any-previous-samsung-smarpthone

Not scientific unfortunately, there's more than one difference from the S6 to the S7 so maybe it's one of the other features / promotions doing it for them.

There's also no decent competition this cycle

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rastor posted:

DO NOT get an AT&T or Verizon Samsung phone. Don't support this bullshit.

I don't think you're putting the blame in entirely the correct place here. As they go on to talk about in that video, Samsung allows them to do it because they get money from the carrier. Samsung is selling out the user experience for their end users.

So, I think Samsung deserves as much blame as the carriers do.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think you're putting the blame in entirely the correct place here. As they go on to talk about in that video, Samsung allows them to do it because they get money from the carrier. Samsung is selling out the user experience for their end users.

So, I think Samsung deserves as much blame as the carriers do.

I respectfully disagree. As they go on to talk about in that video, if Samsung had refused, Verizon would have happily denied advertising / featured placement support and instead sold LG or other competitor's phones with Verizon bloat loaded.

I do wonder if this could become another thing that John Legere starts to use in his jabs at AT&T and Verizon.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

And? 'Some' people shouldn't get to dictate that an entire, widely-used feature get removed.

Citation needed.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I've had a 32gb phone with no SD storage and it's never been that big of a deal. I take a shitload of photos and I'm not even halfway full on mine. I also don't really see a reason to have a removable battery if the trade off is a waterproof phone. That to me seems like a no brainer as long as the battery life is sufficient enough to get me through the day with some to spare. I just loving hate how big phones are getting. It seems like everyone is praising the S7's size so I'm hoping everyone will follow their lead and start making phones of a reasonable size later this year. gently caress the 6P/Moto X/everything else for how big they are.

As to the bloatware, I've never had a phone that didn't have it so whatever. The only phone I would even consider to avoid this is the 5x, but the battery life isn't good enough and the fact that it studdered and had issues out of the box completely turns me off to the idea of ever getting one. There's just no point.

It baffles me how right now it is impossible to get a reasonably sized phone that has solid processing power, at least a 3,000mh battery, a really good screen, that doesn't have some dumb OEM Touchwiz bullshit. It just doesn't loving exist. It's 2016, there shouldn't be android phones that have these problems. What's even more amazing is that it seems like Apple can do all these things better, except I hate the company and their operating system turns me off from ever considering one.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I just ordered a Nexus 6, I'm coming from a Z3 Compact. This will be weird...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

I'm referring to the 45% of smartphone customers who are using iOS. I'm not saying there isn't a market for these things, I'm just saying there is about the same number of people who don't want them or don't care. I don't really care if Samsung does or does not offer them because I'm obviously not their target demographic (or if I am, they are more incompetent than I'm giving them credit for).

On Terra Firma posted:

I've had a 32gb phone with no SD storage and it's never been that big of a deal. I take a shitload of photos and I'm not even halfway full on mine. I also don't really see a reason to have a removable battery if the trade off is a waterproof phone. That to me seems like a no brainer as long as the battery life is sufficient enough to get me through the day with some to spare.

It's tough to disagree with any of this. I also agree that I'd prefer a smaller phone with a fuckoff huge (sealed) battery to a large phone given the choice.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 11, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rastor posted:

I respectfully disagree. As they go on to talk about in that video, if Samsung had refused, Verizon would have happily denied advertising / featured placement support and instead sold LG or other competitor's phones with Verizon bloat loaded.

I do wonder if this could become another thing that John Legere starts to use in his jabs at AT&T and Verizon.

Ehh, I just don't think its something Samsung is/should worried about. I mean most people don't know what Android is, they know what Samsung/Galaxy is. I mean, if the carrier had all the power here because of their placement/advertising there would be be no reason for them to pay Samsung for the privilege of putting the carriers crap on the phone...they could have just demanded it.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 11, 2016

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

RVProfootballer posted:

Citation needed.

uh, loving everybody with a phone that has an SD slot. I've bought and sold a LOT of phones online and locally (enough to maybe consider it a side-business, even) and almost always it will be asked if a phone comes with an SD card, if it has a slot. If a phone has one, it's very, very likely that it will be used, in my experience.

LastInLine posted:

also agree that I'd prefer a smaller phone with a fuckoff huge (sealed) battery to a large phone given the choice.

The point isn't to swap batteries during the day, the point is to be able to replace it when it starts to show wear in 12-18 months. Sealed batteries are basically the manufacturer saying "gently caress off, buy a new one". Phones are becoming less and less repairable as time goes by; just look at the Nexus 6P and Galaxy S6/S7. Compare that to the S4 my wife is still using, which I was able to replace the screen, battery, and charging port of all extremely easily.

edit: hoooooooooly poo poo I just noticed my new avatar, who was assblasted enough about telephones to pay ten dollars for that? I wear it with honor! :)

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 11, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

PULL UP THREAD, PULL UP

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I wonder if I can get a cardboard cutout of the S7 Edge with grip tape, gotta make sure it fits in my jorts

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hey guys, got my s7 edge on verizon this morning. Disabled the bloatware, installed nova launcher. This is pretty cool. Sky isn't falling.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

The point isn't to swap batteries during the day, the point is to be able to replace it when it starts to show wear in 12-18 months. Sealed batteries are basically the manufacturer saying "gently caress off, buy a new one". Phones are becoming less and less repairable as time goes by; just look at the Nexus 6P and Galaxy S6/S7. Compare that to the S4 my wife is still using, which I was able to replace the screen, battery, and charging port of all extremely easily.

As someone with an aging Nexus 5, I know about about needing to replace the battery due to age. But the problem isn't opening the phone to replace it, the problem is finding a new one that isn't counterfeit and that's a problem that can be had whether the manufacturer gives you access to the battery or not.

Honestly, I'd rather just be told to buy a new phone.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I guess get a Galaxy S7 if you want a phone that can survive the apocalypse.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Looks like the BOGO deal is live on T-mobile right now.
Free S7 or S7 Edge when you buy one via prepaid Mastercard.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-S7-edge.html?icid=WMM_TM_Q116SMSNGG_1DUOVFLTP3A4226

Why can't they just give you the drat phone?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

uh, loving everybody with a phone that has an SD slot. I've bought and sold a LOT of phones online and locally (enough to maybe consider it a side-business, even) and almost always it will be asked if a phone comes with an SD card, if it has a slot. If a phone has one, it's very, very likely that it will be used, in my experience.

Oh OK, can't argue with that evidence.

Wait, I can: in my experience, it's very very unlikely that an SD slot will be used.

(Honestly I expect most normal people leave their SD card slot however it comes out of the box when they get their phone from their carrier, either empty or with whatever card it comes with. I don't care about SD cards either way, but somehow your arguments are failing to convince me that anyone else cares about SD cards either :) )

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

RVProfootballer posted:

Oh OK, can't argue with that evidence.

Well, if you're expecting me to link you to hard data about the percentage of people who have SD cards in their phones, that data simply does not exist because nobody has cared enough to collect it if there's even a way. The point you're driving at is 'enough people don't know about/use the SD card slot to warrant its removal" which I can guarantee you is plain wrong, just based on common sense.

vvedit: Jesus christ, this thread is dumb.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 11, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

Well, if you're expecting me to link you to hard data about the percentage of people who have SD cards in their phones, that data simply does not exist because nobody has cared enough to collect it if there's even a way. The point you're driving at is 'enough people don't know about/use the SD card slot to warrant its removal" which I can guarantee you is plain wrong, just based on common sense.

I guess I lack common sense. How are you arriving at this conclusion?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

Can you elaborate?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

What the gently caress, are people seriously arguing that nobody cares about SD card slots?

Let's type SD card slot into twitter.

https://twitter.com/Mathieulh/status/706940097845919747

https://twitter.com/MoDroJoJo/status/706812639289151488

https://twitter.com/rhcpbeth/status/704586531495784448

https://twitter.com/Maghonorable/status/703944054908661760

https://twitter.com/3zlifestyle/status/702312306164801536

Looks to me like people care about SD card slots.

Jesus christ, this thread is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Rastor posted:

What the gently caress, are people seriously arguing that nobody cares about SD card slots?
Let's type SD card slot into twitter.
Looks to me like people care about SD card slots.
Jesus christ, this thread is dumb.

:hfive:

Thank you. I wasn't sure how to even begin responding.