Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Philadelphia already has Beer Yoga on lock. http://www.yogaontheridge.com/happy-hour-yoga/

Eh. Old news.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/evanston/lifestyles/ct-ppn-go-web-bar-yoga-tl-0730-20150728-story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Pretty much every brewery down here with a decent outdoor space has a beer and yoga night each week.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
There's an insane amount of stuff being released around BC recently. Just in the last couple days, I've picked up a limited "4 Grain" porter and Weizenbock from Steel & Oak, a new kettle sour and "Lemon Gin" saison from Bridge, a new sour and new batches of imperial stout and imperial IPA from Parallel 49, and fresh new batches of Nectarous and Juxtapose from Four Winds, just bottled a few weeks ago. I can't wait to compare Nectarous to the P49 sour.

Still haven't been to Strange Fellows, even though it's right across the street from my jam space. Shameful, I know.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I'm gonna be in Texas (primarily Houston, though potentially Austin as well) visiting family for a week. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for that I'd probably not find here in Maryland?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

everythingWasBees posted:

So I'm gonna be in Texas (primarily Houston, though potentially Austin as well) visiting family for a week. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for that I'd probably not find here in Maryland?

Just going to throw out random beers off the top of my head:

Lone Pint Yellow Rose... get growlers filled because bottles have been inconsistent lately. Absolutely must try this on draft
Live Oak Hef - you also better make sure to try this beer while in Texas. And it's now canned.
St. Arnold Divine Reserve 16 (it's the hot limited release here though polarizing and you might not like this. I know I don't like smoked beers.)
Karbach Chocolate Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter
There might still be Lakewood Bourbon Barrel Temptress around, possibly other Temptress variants too
Go to Brash and fill crowlers
8th Wonder Rocket Fuel (hopefully on nitro)
Texian Charlie Foxtrot
St. Arnold Boiler Room
Jester King 750 ml bottles, specifically Biere De Miel and Noble King, but there's a ton of the big bottles on shelves here lately
Austin Beer Works cans
Prairie Bomb
You might run into some bombers from Strange Land and have liked what I've tried so far
Southern Star Black Crack
Possibly Abyss or variants
Pretty sure I've seen Boulevard Love Child sitting around but I have no clue about any of the new ones

Bottle shops to hit are D&Q and the Smith Street Spec's. Hell just about any Whole Foods store will have a better than decent bottle selection plus you can grab a flight and drink while shopping. There's plenty of good beer bars, tough to suggest one without knowing where you'll stay.

air- fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 11, 2016

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Today's adventures in clearance beer:

Dogfish head festina peche 3 bucks for a 4 pack
Bruery Autumn Maple 2 bucks for a 750

Haven't had either of these but why not for the price.

I'm pretty sure some of these guys are starting to make too much beer.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Went into the beer fridge with no real idea of what I might want to have tonight. Came out with a 2013 Narwhal.

I've never really loved this beer fresh, and even with a year or so on it I felt it was way too bitter and astringent for the style. It's always tasted like they added star anise extract. Apparently that goes away after three years because dear lord this is nice now.

Comes off a lot like dark cocoa powder with a thick woody oak backing; if I had this next to, say, an Abyss with 18 months on it, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell one from the other.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

Cycle made the local news today.

http://www.wtsp.com/features/craft-beers-fans-wait-in-line-for-cycle-brewery-special-brew/74593805

Also someone caught a picture of doug's face looking disappointed at someone using a homeless person as a mule.

I took those pics and posted it on Facebook. My friend and I sat there for 2 hours after the release watching people bug the poo poo out of anybody who walked past the brewery. We saw little old ladies, homeless people, and disabled people stroll into the brewery, look lost as they went up to the bar and say "Wednesday, please" and immediately walk outside the brewery and give the bottle to 4-5 insufferable beer nerds.

If beer nerds have no shame in bugging every single person who walks by a brewery at a release, hopefully they have no shame being called out online.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 11, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I took those pics and posted it on Facebook. My friend and I sat there for 2 hours after the release watching people bug the poo poo out of anybody who walked past the brewery. We saw little old ladies, homeless people, and disabled people stroll into the brewery, look lost as they went up to the bar and say "Wednesday, please" and immediately walk outside the brewery and give the bottle to 4-5 insufferable beer nerds.

If beer nerds have no shame in bugging every single person who walks by a brewery at a release, hopefully they have no shame being called out online.

Ha, good. And St. Pete is awesome for people watching at all times, I would have loved to be there to watch that scene.

It doesn't really bother me if they're doing it to drink personally but zero part of me believes those dudes aren't the ones instantly posting that stuff on the grey market for 5x the cost, and they likely don't have the capability to give a gently caress when you can flip poo poo for that much. Luckily cycle seems to be the only place where this still happens around here.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm thinking of heading over to Brooklyn and checking out Other Half this weekend, has anyone else gone? They tweeted that they're releasing cans on Saturday at 10 am, is it usually pretty manageable or should I go on Sunday to avoid a crowd?

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Ok this is the Hunahpu roll call post. I would like to meet as many of you as possible because I like meeting people and all the beer goons I've known were cool in person. I will probably wear a pair of black basketball shorts and a blue Orlando Magic or Florida Gators shirt bc I really don't care about showing off my beer geek cred. I'm 6'3" and averagish build with long dark hair and a short full beard/goatee. I will probably be loudly complaining about how there will not be any beer available in my small Japanese village.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Ok this is the Hunahpu roll call post. I would like to meet as many of you as possible because I like meeting people and all the beer goons I've known were cool in person. I will probably wear a pair of black basketball shorts and a blue Orlando Magic or Florida Gators shirt bc I really don't care about showing off my beer geek cred. I'm 6'3" and averagish build with long dark hair and a short full beard/goatee. I will probably be loudly complaining about how there will not be any beer available in my small Japanese village.

Dark jeans, white Hawaiian shirt, backpack, long hair and dark sunglasses. Also tall as well. Just ask for a high five.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

air- posted:

You'd recommended the No Label Perpetual Peace some time ago, which I got and enjoyed.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

You'd recommended the No Label Perpetual Peace some time ago, which I got and enjoyed.

Good stuff. I'm not into much else from that brewery and I imagine they've got a different seasonal in stores these days. My interest in Texas beer nowadays goes towards high quality but consistent releases like LO Hef cans and the Hops and Grain Greenhouse series.

Which I guess helps because I should announce it... I'm moving to Austin. Ain't a bad compromise :confuoot:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Are we not going to use the awkward cult identifier?
"Do you have stairs in your house?"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

sterster posted:

Nah, just ask me for sunblock.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

sterster posted:

I had never heard of that until meeting crazyfish in real life. I am not a good goon.

air- posted:

I'm moving to Austin. Ain't a bad compromise :confuoot:

So PNW didn't work out? That's okay. I'm in Austin about once a year, so we should hang.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

So PNW didn't work out? That's okay. I'm in Austin about once a year, so we should hang.

Yesss we'll totally hang out. I'm excited about visiting Live Oak's new brewery.

2 months of focused job hunting (aka treating it like a full time job) and got nowhere in Portland. I'm in IT but not specialized/experienced enough to be headhunted, and that scenario seems like the way to go rather than uprooting, heading out there, then seeing how it goes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

This really makes me want to dress up as a homeless dude, walk by and get recruited, only to bolt with the beer to a waiting car and screaming "suck my double imperial cream dick" as we peel out.

I think I found out how I am spending my next Tampa Beer Week. Anyone want to join, I need a good get away driver.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

swickles posted:

This really makes me want to dress up as a homeless dude, walk by and get recruited, only to bolt with the beer to a waiting car and screaming "suck my double imperial cream dick" as we peel out.

I'm actually surprised no one has tried this. And I don't know if I would cheer for that person or make a comment about how awful beer is. SO TORN.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

swickles posted:

This really makes me want to dress up as a homeless dude

Going from the news reel you wouldn't be too out of place among the neckbeards dressed like that.

You'd likely get more hits by hanging out a few blocks north where all the homeless people usually are and waiting for a neckbeard to come by recruiting mules.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 11, 2016

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

air- posted:

There's plenty of good beer bars, tough to suggest one without knowing where you'll stay.

This list is fantastic! Ill definitely try the hefe at the bare minimum.

I'll be staying with an aunt in the Houston area and reliant on her for transportation, and we're probably not gonna be all that heavy on going to places for beer specifically, as she can't really drink, but there will be a few places that'll have a good drink selection. Thanks so much!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

This list is fantastic! Ill definitely try the hefe at the bare minimum.

I'll be staying with an aunt in the Houston area and reliant on her for transportation, and we're probably not gonna be all that heavy on going to places for beer specifically, as she can't really drink, but there will be a few places that'll have a good drink selection. Thanks so much!

One more cool idea: have lunch at St. Arnold.

Honestly that's something I've been meaning to do myself, so PM me and I could be down to go.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Going from the news reel you wouldn't be too out of place among the neckbeards dressed like that.

You'd likely get more hits by hanging out a few blocks north where all the homeless people usually are and waiting for a neckbeard to come by recruiting mules.

Good, I need more ideas/planning because I am 100% committed to doing this. Also, if I get away with it I will be selling all bottles on CL or e-bay at an insane markup and giving it to charity (minus one bottle for drinking of course).

Apache
May 11, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Dark jeans, white Hawaiian shirt, backpack, long hair and dark sunglasses. Also tall as well. Just ask for a high five.

Shorts and a yellow Cantillon T-shirt. About 6'1".

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

swickles posted:

I think I found out how I am spending my next Tampa Beer Week. Anyone want to join, I need a good get away driver.

Nothing has convinced me to fly to Florida for a release yet, but this might have sealed the deal.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Zam posted:

Nothing has convinced me to fly to Florida for a release yet, but this might have sealed the deal.

You want in? I'll let you drive my car!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

swickles posted:

Good, I need more ideas/planning because I am 100% committed to doing this. Also, if I get away with it I will be selling all bottles on CL or e-bay at an insane markup and giving it to charity (minus one bottle for drinking of course).

South end of william's park has some bus stops that are usually crawling with panhandlers, as well as the adjacent street.

https://goo.gl/maps/ouwvZJgM5MS2

That or just walk by cycle and look for some dude barking for mules like you said, shouldn't be too hard.

Bucky_Grid
Jul 21, 2007

air- posted:

I'm excited about visiting Live Oak's new brewery.

I was in Austin a few weeks ago for Jester King and to pick up copious amounts of LO Hefe for the wife and me (Of course two weeks later I find out that the Specs in Dallas gets both Live Oak and Hops and Grains even though they don't see regular distribution up here). I had a chance to swing by the new brewery. Although not as scenic as Jester King, there are few things in life as great as sitting under a shady live oak tree with a LO hefe and eating awesome food from the food trucks that show up there. I'm Jealous!

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
My wife dug out my 10 or year old SA hoody so I'm going to be that guy at the next beer event.

At Binny's LP taproom and they have, for onsite consumption, $9 bottles of 2013 BCBBW. Soooo good. Less raisin and sweet than the last time I had it but still great.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Compusaurus posted:

My wife dug out my 10 or year old SA hoody so I'm going to be that guy at the next beer event.

At Binny's LP taproom and they have, for onsite consumption, $9 bottles of 2013 BCBBW. Soooo good. Less raisin and sweet than the last time I had it but still great.

I'll have a bunch of pedialyte packs anyway so if you find me I'll give you some since you're going to sweat off twenty pounds wearing a hoody outside on saturday.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'll have a bunch of pedialyte packs anyway so if you find me I'll give you some since you're going to sweat off twenty pounds wearing a hoody outside on saturday.

I think he meant in reference to the SA comment, not Huna Day.

Compusaurus posted:

I opened one in the fall or so and can honestly say it's pushing King Henry territory right now. I can't remember if I had the opportunity to buy more back when it was released but I am kicking myself for not doing so now.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Finally trying the Pfriem IIIPA and it's pretty solid, wish they had Notorious on to do a side by side but oh well. Oh and this spot in Wilsonville (The Beer Station) is doing growler fills of it for $18 for you PDX folks, they also have bottles of Perennial Sump which I hadn't realized made it here.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

dphi posted:

Finally trying the Pfriem IIIPA and it's pretty solid, wish they had Notorious on to do a side by side but oh well. Oh and this spot in Wilsonville (The Beer Station) is doing growler fills of it for $18 for you PDX folks, they also have bottles of Perennial Sump which I hadn't realized made it here.

That's a new development. Perennial released a collab with The Commons to kick that off. You guys get abraxas and everything else now.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

trauma llama posted:

That's a new development. Perennial released a collab with The Commons to kick that off. You guys get abraxas and everything else now.

Yeah, I'd seen Abraxas and Fleur de Lis all over the place for the past few months, first time I've seen Sump or anything else from them for that matter though.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

danbanana posted:

I opened one in the fall or so and can honestly say it's pushing King Henry territory right now. I can't remember if I had the opportunity to buy more back when it was released but I am kicking myself for not doing so now.

Is this the first year it was released? For all the poo poo I talk about BCBS I think I'm sitting on some of this, and it's the weekend.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Also I will be showing up at precisely 9:59, walking to the front of whatever line has formed, and immediately refusing to leave my position on account of having followed the rules.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Drinking my first Tweak.

Is Uncle Jacob's the base for this? Because this is way loving hotter than that beer is. And when I say hot, I mean "bad whiskey aftertaste" hot. Which is disappointing because the initial flavor is all mocha latte. But the backend is pretty bad. Maybe it's a harsh comparison but this is Black Tuesday-level: sweet and big with a bad alcohol end. Would not buy again.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Also I will be showing up at precisely 9:59, walking to the front of whatever line has formed, and immediately refusing to leave my position on account of having followed the rules.

I do wonder how you enforce a starting time for a line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Being friends with people who are down at Hunaphu is murdering me with envy. Holy poo poo.