Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Silver2195 posted:

I'd say it's something like Mihawk > Weeble = Doflamingo > Kuma = Hancock = Law >>> Buggy.

What was Moria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

jassa posted:

Jack obviously has small elephant syndrome after seeing Zou, he's overcompensating.

His bounty could be due to a particularly "bad" crime in the eyes of the World Government (i.e. murdering a World Noble).

I am looking forward to seeing his hybrid form... This may be contrary to the consensus but I get the feeling Kaidou is very lazy and Jack takes care of the Yonkou "business" in general.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Mr. Fowl posted:

What was Moria?

Gecko.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

dazoner posted:

I am looking forward to seeing his hybrid form... This may be contrary to the consensus but I get the feeling Kaidou is very lazy and Jack takes care of the Yonkou "business" in general.

I don't think Kaidou is lazy, he's just very busy....trying to kill himself.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

dazoner posted:

I dunno, Kaidou has a reputation for never missing an opportunity to strike and was Johnny on the spot about clashing with Shanks trying to reach Whitebeard

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Blackbear D Teach. We've been over this!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Those are animal motifs, not animal-themed names.

Trafalgar is pronounced with "tora" which is tiger

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xelkelvos posted:

Trafalgar is pronounced with "tora" which is tiger

Touche.

Death Bot posted:

ODA DOES IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Buggy D Clown.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

Buggy D Clown.

Sorry buggy can't be a D. D's are the enemy of the gods and buggy is a god of pirates.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gonna be interesting to see how they'll resolve this. On the one hand, they need to get this but done relatively fast so we can catch up to Sanji. On the other, Jack's plan clearly falls into the territory of 'so apparently insane and suicidal that it's definitely going to work', so the Straw Hats are likely to have a tough time defending their new elephant buddy.

Maybe their fight with Jack will take them all the way to the Charlotte wedding for maximum diplomatic catastrofuck potential?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If Zou is always traversing the seas, maybe it was those glowing eyes in the mist at thriller bark? :v:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Wouldn't surprise me if Luffy and Pekoms leave to get Sanji and the fight was used as something to occupy everyone else in the interim so we have something to cut to during the Sanji rescue mission. Jack is Kaidou's second in command, so this really should fall on Zoro's shoulders anyway.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

If Zou is always traversing the seas, maybe it was those glowing eyes in the mist at thriller bark? :v:

It'd have to cross the calm sea/redline to do that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Elfgames posted:

Sorry buggy can't be a D. D's are the enemy of the gods and buggy is a god of pirates.

But Luffy and Usopp are friends.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Death Bot posted:

There is already a bear with Kuma. Two bear-themed warlords is lazy.

Nigh-unBEARable in fact...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kild posted:

Just needs a running start is all!

wonder if sea kings would gently caress with an island-sized elephant

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Actually looking at the world map, the redline prevents you from reaching both parts of the grandline without going through fishman island/reverse mountain or over the redline

East Blue and South blue can only travel to (ignoring calm belt/log pose problems) "Paradise". West Blue North Blue same deal for New World.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
This is sort a dark thought, but how would Luffy have reacted in the aftermath of the Marineford War if all of his crew members had died? The main thing that saved Luffy from falling into a pit of despair and loathing after Ace died was Jimbei reminding Luffy not what he lost but what he still had (ie his nakama). Would Luffy had actually given up on becoming the Pirate King?

A big theme of the New World is how great pirates like Crocodile and (arguably) Moria were totally devastated and broken by the world that the Yonkou dominate, never to return to their youthful idealism. I think Luffy's biggest strength and weakness is how much he has invested himself emotionally in those closest to him, and the events of Kuma/Shabondy, Impel Down, and Marineford clearly showed that.

Thoughts?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 11, 2016

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kild posted:

It'd have to be the Red Line. Across the Calm Belt from the New World are North and West Blue, witch are separated from East and South Blue by the Red Line.

By who knows. That elephant must have really loving long legs to walk on the sea floor (10,000 meters down by Fishman Island) and still be so far above the water. Or else it's constrained to a certain patch of shallow water or something.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

E: Nevermind I can't read today.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This is sort a dark thought, but how would Luffy have reacted in the aftermath of the Marineford War if all of his crew members had died? The main thing that saved Luffy from falling into a pit of despair and loathing after Ace died was Jimbei reminding Luffy not what he lost but what he still had (ie his nakama). Would Luffy had actually given up on becoming the Pirate King?

A big theme of the New World is how great pirates like Crocodile and (arguably) Moria were totally devastated and broken by the world that the Yonkou dominate, never to return to their youthful idealism. I think Luffy's biggest strength and weakness is how much he has invested himself emotionally in those closest to him, and the events of Kuma/Shabondy, Impel Down, and Marineford clearly showed that.

Thoughts?

He probably would have become just like them, disillusioned and bitter with broken dreams.

Likely the only chance he'd have to bounce back would be Sabo.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I think it's supposed to be 'Weevil'. Shichibukai all have animal-themed naming.

It's Weeble because he wobbles but doesn't fall down.

I really hope that this resolves with Luffy stopping Jack from killing the elephant, but Jack escapes and gets angry enough at Luffy to follow him to Big Mom's tea party and crash it, starting a war between Kaido and Big Mom.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Luffy crashes the wedding, but is offered free food so he refuses to fight Big Mom. Instead he proposes an alliance, but no one is there to warn Big Mom of what that actually means.

Far away Law awakens in a start, yelling "Strawhat!" Though he is unsure exactly why.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Gyges posted:

Luffy crashes the wedding, but is offered free food so he refuses to fight Big Mom. Instead he proposes an alliance, but no one is there to warn Big Mom of what that actually means.

Far away Law awakens in a start, yelling "Strawhat!" Though he is unsure exactly why.

Luffy ends up bringing back a ton of food from the wedding, and gives Law some sandwiches. But he forgot that Law hates bread!!!

Studio audience laughter, fade to black.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

DizzyBum posted:

Luffy ends up bringing back a ton of food from the wedding, and gives Law some sandwiches. But he forgot that Law hates bread!!!

One of my favourite little gags was when he said that and Sanji made him rice balls in the next scene :3:.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Thoughts?

I imagine he wouldn't lose it until he was personally there a la Ace. He was as gutted for him primarily because he was there and couldn't do anything to help him, hence his motivation to become strong enough to never lose anyone again. If he was there though, he'd probably become just another victim, same as the others. I think he's strong willed enough to provide some kind of distraction so that he rest of the crew could get out and live at his cost though, not die in front of him and that that's what sets him apart.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

What was Moria?

I think it's gecko and also bat. His name is Gecko Moria, and Koumori is Japanese for bat.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DizzyBum posted:

Like Luffy would bring back anything but meat.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
People keep responding to Mr. Fowl's question as though he were asking what Moria's animal motif was, when in fact he was clearly asking where Moria laid on the power chart he quoted.

For my money, he's probably kind of up there. His power is stupid broken. It's like Foxy's in that if it were on anyone but a comically incompetent buffoon it would be one of the hottest powers around. If he manages to cut your shadow off its like a guaranteed win.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Silver2195 posted:

I'd say it's something like Mihawk > Weeble = Doflamingo > Kuma = Hancock = Law >>> Buggy.

I don't know, I think Kuma was probably up there with Doflamingo pre-robot. Who knows if he's still smart enough to use his power that well now though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Advice posted:

People keep responding to Mr. Fowl's question as though he were asking what Moria's animal motif was, when in fact he was clearly asking where Moria laid on the power chart he quoted.

For my money, he's probably kind of up there. His power is stupid broken. It's like Foxy's in that if it were on anyone but a comically incompetent buffoon it would be one of the hottest powers around. If he manages to cut your shadow off its like a guaranteed win.

Moria isn't incompetent, he's lazy. The first time he fought Luffy he won without even standing up. He can do all sorts of crazy shadow bullshit but he'd rather just sit around and let his zombies do the work.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

I don't know, I think Kuma was probably up there with Doflamingo pre-robot. Who knows if he's still smart enough to use his power that well now though.

I meant current Kuma.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Advice posted:

Didn't Moria get attempted murdered out of the Warlords? That's why he's not on the power chart.

Also his powers have some big drawbacks, like if the owner of a shadow he has dies he loses the shadow. Also salt/water release the shadow. Further if you punch him good in the gut he'll lose any shadows and there's a shitload of dudes walking around who could probably destroy 99% of his zombies by simply turning the Mario into bits and pieces.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
The zombies aren't the best part of his power, it's all about stealing a shadow rendering someone unconscious for a very long time. Or having a bunch of shadows forced into you enhancing your strength to the point that Moria was breaking Thriller Bark itself. He would never win in a real fight because his character isn't meant to, but I'm just nerding out over his powers.

Also, Law and Dofy aren't shichibukai anymore either, are they?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Huzzah! posted:

I thought he was a frog.

Frog? No, Hippo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Advice posted:

The zombies aren't the best part of his power, it's all about stealing a shadow rendering someone unconscious for a very long time. Or having a bunch of shadows forced into you enhancing your strength to the point that Moria was breaking Thriller Bark itself. He would never win in a real fight because his character isn't meant to, but I'm just nerding out over his powers.

Also, Law and Dofy aren't shichibukai anymore either, are they?

Law isn't, I think Mango hasn't technically been kicked out yet.

Right now I think it's Doflamingo(technically), Mihawk, Hancock, Pacafista 0, Weevil, Buggy, and some horrible guy who is yet to be named but is apparently a giant rear end in a top hat.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Hmm? I think the "unnamed guy" is Weevil.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder why Kuma is even considered a Shichibukai anymore. Surely it'd make more sense for them to have him publically join the Marines/World Gov. to show that he's now 100% loyal to them and put some other strong scary dude in his place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder why Kuma is even considered a Shichibukai anymore. Surely it'd make more sense for them to have him publically join the Marines/World Gov. to show that he's now 100% loyal to them and put some other strong scary dude in his place.

There's also an advantage to having a Shichibukai who is loyal, so it's easier to pretend the others are also loyal.