Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
A4S was something like a month after the patch, yeah. So many raid parties got ground the gently caress up by A3S in that time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, was Midas savage undertuned this time, or just right?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It was cleared right around when Yoshi expected it to be, and I've heard nothing but praise for the fights, especially compared to Gordias. I think Midas was, overall, a much bigger success.

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It was cleared right around when Yoshi expected it to be, and I've heard nothing but praise for the fights, especially compared to Gordias. I think Midas was, overall, a much bigger success.

Overall, Midas feels like an apology for Gordias, both in normal and savage versions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My static and I made our first serious attempt at Midas Savage tonight, and we genuinely had a lot of fun learning the fight. We got him down to 45% in just one lockout. I've got a good feeling.

p.s. I really wish people would go with the M1-4 denomination rather than A5-8.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Midas Savage is definitely a lot more fun than Gordias Savage. I dreaded raiding every night even after clearing Gordias. In Midas, I don't even realize how time passes because it's so much fun.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Till sea swallows all!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

MohShuvuu posted:

Midas Savage is definitely a lot more fun than Gordias Savage. I dreaded raiding every night even after clearing Gordias. In Midas, I don't even realize how time passes because it's so much fun.

A6S is just boring at this point. gently caress getting to Vortexer just so everyone can learn how to position ice properly. At least it's only 6 minutes.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Fister Roboto posted:

My static and I made our first serious attempt at Midas Savage tonight, and we genuinely had a lot of fun learning the fight. We got him down to 45% in just one lockout. I've got a good feeling.

Eh i think the A5-A8 is going to work better overall because I'm 99% sure the last section is just going to be called Alexander in fitting with the naming theme going on so far.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/285648-FC-Chest-Looting

Someone forgot to set proper permissions on their FC chest and is now mad at GMs.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Then what will we do if the next raid set is called, like, Grooples, or Mongler, or something else that starts with a G or an M

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
B1-5
S1-4
F1-4

I think I'll keep T1-13 too for now. :v:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Verranicus posted:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/285648-FC-Chest-Looting

Someone forgot to set proper permissions on their FC chest and is now mad at GMs.

Most people in that thread are being reasonable, because having a completely open chest is like an unwatched free candy bowl at Halloween. Eventually some rear end in a top hat is going to come along and empty it.

But totally :lol: at the OP for thinking the GMs should give him the items back, they weren't removed via exploit so they won't do poo poo to return them. Best case scenario those items just plain cease to exist if they ban the guy or clear the items out of his inventory and retainer space. Worst case they've already been redistributed hither and yon by the forces of capitalism through the market board.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Kwyndig posted:

Most people in that thread are being reasonable, because having a completely open chest is like an unwatched free candy bowl at Halloween. Eventually some rear end in a top hat is going to come along and empty it.

But totally :lol: at the OP for thinking the GMs should give him the items back, they weren't removed via exploit so they won't do poo poo to return them. Best case scenario those items just plain cease to exist if they ban the guy or clear the items out of his inventory and retainer space. Worst case they've already been redistributed hither and yon by the forces of capitalism through the market board.

I like the person comparing it to real life theft and saying it would be legally punishable in the real world so it should be in FFXIV.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In WoW they frequently will help with things like that even when it's your own fault, so that might be what they're expecting.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I set my guild stash so everyone could take everything out, and they did.

Please give me my stuff back!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Got my trial started today, tried to get a character set up on excalibur - no dice. 11AM is a decidedly non peak time. Any idea what gives?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
2 weeks after a major patch 24/7 is decidedly peak time.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

hmm balls.

Train of thought: after making a character, is there a login queue for busy servers or just a "spam the bejeezus out of join" or what?

Basically, if I want to play tonight, how hosed am I?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
There's a login queue but you almost never have to sit in it, and if you do it's for like 1 minute max. Once you've made your character you're golden.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KaneTW posted:

A6S is just boring at this point. gently caress getting to Vortexer just so everyone can learn how to position ice properly. At least it's only 6 minutes.

So it's T9 all over again with 5+ minutes of doing the first 80% of the fight to the point of it being near-zero risk so you can get a few seconds of learning positions for the last(?) phase of the fight?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Fister Roboto posted:

No, shut up. It was painful enough when people tried to say SCoB or whatever all the time.

Also A6S is pretty much on the same level of gently caress you as anything in A1-4S except maybe the intended way to do Nisi. I don't know why they made the finicky hard to learn, easy to instantly wipe guy the last guy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We cleared A5S in our first week of attempting it without too much trouble. It's definitely a fun fight looking forward to A6S next week.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

hmm balls.

Train of thought: after making a character, is there a login queue for busy servers or just a "spam the bejeezus out of join" or what?

If you believe, you can get in.

(you're going into a weekend, when there's a major PVP event thing going on, odds are not good)

However if you must roll a character somewhere else, keep your eyes open for when excalibur opens up, or pay to transfer your character over to excalibur. The pros of being on excalibur are huge, you will get a lot of support from goons with just about anything.

E: At last count there are about 1,200 goons on Excalibur between the 3 goon guilds.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 11, 2016

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

ChickenWing posted:

You are p hosed tbh

Basically you should get up at 4 AM EST to try your luck for best results. Server population changes constantly so if you're waiting for a status update either through third post ITT (which says it's open this very minute actually it's open right now) or SE's blog updates then you'll probably be missing out.

What most end up doing is trying to log in right before going to work/school/whatever to test if you can create a character. To save time, it's a good idea to create a character wherever, save that character's looks and then loadup a ready-made character whenever you try out your luck.

The alternative to this process is to just start playing anywhere and paying $18 for the transfer which bypasses server population check. Note that brand new characters are reportedly not being able to transfer so wait at least 72 hours after character creation before trying to transfer.

My advice is that if you've already paid for game time via buying the game then just start playing wherever and transfer when you can.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Freak Futanari posted:

Then what will we do if the next raid set is called, like, Grooples, or Mongler, or something else that starts with a G or an M

Well, the next set is almost definitely going to be called Zoe (after the daughter of Midas), so I don't think we'll have to worry about that.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm still kind of reeling from everyone insisting on calling Labyrinth "Crystal Tower" even though the entire set of raids was in the Crystal Tower.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

By the second night of actually trying at A5S my group got to about 3% and only failed because most of us forgot that we need to keep an eye on our grumblygut status around that point in the fight. It's a really fun fight to do progression on.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Well I got my first 60 the other night and spent all of yesterday finishing the story quests up to the antitower and gathering up all the optional level 60 dungeon quests. Sometime Sunday I'll need to see about asking in the FC about chain running all of them to give other goons some newbie bonus tomestones. Then it'll be time to start bringing some other jobs to 60.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
If I decide to finish my WAR to 60 (It was my main in all of ARR) how rough is learning to stance dance? I never even knew it was a thing before leaving, and now worry that I'll get screamed at by the group if I don't do it enough/right in dungeons (not to mention trials). Deliverance looks like an Offtank's wet dream.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

Well I got my first 60 the other night and spent all of yesterday finishing the story quests up to the antitower and gathering up all the optional level 60 dungeon quests. Sometime Sunday I'll need to see about asking in the FC about chain running all of them to give other goons some newbie bonus tomestones. Then it'll be time to start bringing some other jobs to 60.

Between newbie tome bonuses, dungeon gear, music and cards that should be fairly easy to coordinate.

GlitchThief posted:

I'm still kind of reeling from everyone insisting on calling Labyrinth "Crystal Tower" even though the entire set of raids was in the Crystal Tower.

LotA is kind of a clunky shorthand. I do see a fairly even split between folks calling the last piece WoD or CT3 though.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I go with Labyrinth, Circus, WoD myself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ChickenWing posted:

hmm balls.

Check the lodestone site about account creation restrictions and attempt to make a character at the times listed. There will be open windows but they are small. I got in at 5 EST on a Saturday for my roommates character. It's possible you just need to believe.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
CT123 was the correct short hand and everyone who called it ST and WoD was dumb.

Next one is Vark2 btw don't call it anything else.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Even if it doesn't take place on the Void Ark?

Talmonis posted:

If I decide to finish my WAR to 60 (It was my main in all of ARR) how rough is learning to stance dance? I never even knew it was a thing before leaving, and now worry that I'll get screamed at by the group if I don't do it enough/right in dungeons (not to mention trials). Deliverance looks like an Offtank's wet dream.

Stance dancing as a warrior is really easy, since it's an off-GCD toggle, especially now that you have a ridiculous HP pool. The one thing you need to keep in mind is that unlike the other tanks, turning on tank stance doesn't give you any immediate benefits, because it only increases your max HP and healing received. If you have 2000 HP in deliverance and a mob is about to hit you for 2100, just turning on defiance won't save you. That being said, in dungeons, the main reason to use tank stance is for threat. I'd keep defiance on for trash mobs, especially if you're doing large pulls, but it's usually safe to go with deliverance for bosses after you establish a threat lead.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Belzac posted:

No, shut up. It was painful enough when people tried to say SCoB or whatever all the time.

Also A6S is pretty much on the same level of gently caress you as anything in A1-4S except maybe the intended way to do Nisi. I don't know why they made the finicky hard to learn, easy to instantly wipe guy the last guy.

Vortexer is like the easiest of the four to execute. As long as you have a breakdown of how the mechanics work the fight is literally just putting your three way marks in their appropriate places and then individually telling your members "you stand HERE and then you stand HERE and then you stand HERE". The biggest sticking point my group ever had was getting the positioning for ice pools down pat because it's actually pretty tight.

If anything I'd say A6S has exactly the kind of difficulty I would expect from a hard progression raid because it conforms to the Dark Souls style of difficulty that was most of coil - while learning to execute mechanics, it's chaotic and blows up easily. Once you know it, nothing ever really changes, and flawless performance becomes easy. I saw that pattern on every single robot as we were running through it.

The biggest bitch in that fight is front-loaded with loving Blaster and his loving charging mirage fuckers. gently caress. Profanity. At least if a DPS or two gets caught out in the first charge it actually doesn't affect the run as a whole too badly.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Talmonis posted:

It's super easy to stance dance as WAR. Like Fister said, tank stance for trash pulls, dps stance on bosses after you have hate. And no, no group is going to yell at you for not stance dancing unless you're in tank stance as OT that's awful.

bleuraindrops fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 11, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah don't be the rear end in a top hat in Void Ark who stays in tank stance the entire time. Not only are you doing less damage, but you're also causing the main tank to do less damage because they have to hold threat off of you (unless the main tank is also a warrior because lol warriors).

There's one on every run.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Meiteron posted:

The biggest bitch in that fight is front-loaded with loving Blaster and his loving charging mirage fuckers. gently caress. Profanity. At least if a DPS or two gets caught out in the first charge it actually doesn't affect the run as a whole too badly.

Always gratifying to see that the raid design team's love of divebombs will never go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Meiteron posted:

If anything I'd say A6S has exactly the kind of difficulty I would expect from a hard progression raid because it conforms to the Dark Souls style of difficulty

You've said a lot of dumb things but this is probably the dumbest.

• Locked thread