Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Just a regular reminder that Vanquish is amazing.

Just beat the two drill arm Romanovs without dying, and rediscovered my love for the laser beam gun in the process. Feels good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nintendo does what Segain't

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Space Channel 5 Warriors

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am very looking much forward to Hyrule the Warrior 3DS.

I can play it at home and on the road. I can never stop playing Hyrule Warriors. even if I dearly desired to.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shadow Hearts is best JRPG series.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I had a JRPG itch. So i played some Breath of Death VII

It is a fun and good game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i might play breath of death and cthulhu saves the world some day, but right now i have way more big classic jrpgs to play and the mountain keeps getting bigger and it's gonna get astronomically large once trails in the sky 3rd and the crossbell games are translated

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I bought those games in some bundle or other and then the lead dev poo poo talked barkley: shut up and jam gaiden so I never got around to playing em.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Shadow Hearts is one of those games that has a small description for pretty much every single thing no matter their importance, I always like it when games do that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I suddenly really want to play Shadow Hearts again, I can either dust off my PS2 or try and get emulation working I guess.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

From what I remember the first SH emulates completely fine, Covenant used to have some occasional audio issues but dunno if that's still the case.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I want to emulate the zelda with the boat, or is that insanely illegal?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ahundredbux posted:

I want to emulate the zelda with the boat, or is that insanely illegal?
If you've got a Wii that can run homebrew, use Cleanrip to dump an ISO of your Wind Waker disc that you can play in Dolphin.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Does it look good upscaled and run well?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

Takes a bit of work but you can make it look fantastic.

In other news I got Moon Hunters for PC and it's a early access game with the massive downside that it's being sold as a finished one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ahundredbux posted:

There an HD version on Wii U that runs really well.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

In Training posted:

There an HD version on Wii U that runs really well.

The HD version also looks fantastic with zero effort needed.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm excited for the thread icon voting and I hope mine is accepted!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Golden Goat posted:

In other news I got Moon Hunters for PC and it's a early access game with the massive downside that it's being sold as a finished one.

That's sounds pretty damning. For some reason I thought they'd run a Kickstarter only a few months ago, but I guess it's actually been a while.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ahundredbux posted:

if you're not willing to play the hd version on the wii u like people suggest, running the game upscaled in dolphin looks great and it runs pretty much perfectly, and someone made a really fantastic hd texture pack that sticks very close to the original style and also has optional textures that replace the HUD to match the buttons of whatever controller you're using. the only problem is, uh, last i checked, the way the textures are formatted means you need a fuckton of RAM to preload all of them into the game at once, unless the author switched them to the newer, compressed format, so keep that in mind

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 11, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mordja posted:

That's sounds pretty damning. For some reason I thought they'd run a Kickstarter only a few months ago, but I guess it's actually been a while.

It's just kinda disappointing that despite the art style and music being amazing there's not much going on in the combat and the bugs are holding it back. It takes up to 3-4 minutes to start the game because they frontload all the textures.

For a roguelite it should also be hard enough so that you're not able to actually finish a run on your first try. Let alone stand in one place and blast the end boss (one of the end bosses) without issue.

Also they should advertise it as a roguelite, because it really comes off as a full story game instead from it's store.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Isn't the idea that you replay it a bunch and it changes depending on what you did each run?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mordja posted:

Isn't the idea that you replay it a bunch and it changes depending on what you did each run?

Changes more in that it unlocks more poo poo and you learn hints about what you're meant to be doing to get different endings.

E: Oh the constellation poo poo is cool though, at the end of each run it sums up your characters legacy. My partner was turned into a throne because he was so arrogant and I was known to steal animals and raise them to fight for me.

E2:Music is fantastic and I grabbed the soundtrack with the game
http://tindeck.com/listen/msgjn

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 11, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i might play breath of death and cthulhu saves the world some day, but right now i have way more big classic jrpgs to play and the mountain keeps getting bigger and it's gonna get astronomically large once trails in the sky 3rd and the crossbell games are translated

At least for Breath, I'd recommend playing it for a short time as a breather between games. It has silly references and the Main Character makes fun of everything rpg. It doesn't have much depth so far so I don't think a long play of it would be as fun.

I do really enjoy how the levelling up works. And that there's mini dungeons just for good items.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That same company did the dev work for the 2-D Penny Arcade Episodes, which I thought were really neato. Instead of random battles, you basically have scripted encounters throughout the whole game, so in a way, every enemy encounter is hand-crafted, which makes the fights more interesting as a result, especially with the rather absurd job system in place.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

hello i am garet and this is my giant double chin

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hello garet

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god, I've just remembered the insane amount of side quests in Shadow Hearts 2

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Shadow Hearts 2 is a good game.

E: If there was a polar bear in the above set, it'd be a good starting place to cast Muscle March 2: Flex and Pecs Around the World

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 11, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Shadow Hearts 2 is a good game

The Ring Soul is Character of the Year 2004.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

2004 :negative:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I give shadow hearts from the new world's plot a lot of poo poo because it isn't anywhere near as good as koudelka's, shadow hearts', or covenant's, but the story does some pretty neat things. unfortunately, it's all at the end of the game. most of its second half was boring until right before the final dungeon

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FirstAidKite posted:

I give shadow hearts from the new world's plot a lot of poo poo because it isn't anywhere near as good as koudelka's, shadow hearts', or covenant's, but the story does some pretty neat things. unfortunately, it's all at the end of the game. most of its second half was boring until right before the final dungeon

It just loving meanders so much and it's all zany nonsense. Now here's Al Capone! Now here's wacky pirates! And like, you have horrible monsters pop up as enemies from time to time, but the tone is just these kind of insipid misadventures around the globe, and since you seem to just travel wherever you want willy-nilly, you don't get a sense you're on a journey so much as you're just getting led on a guided tour of a kind of lame theme park.

Vilcabamba was really awesome though, or whatever it was. The game improves considerably once you hit South America and all the enemies start wrecking your poo poo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

The HD version also looks fantastic with zero effort needed.

well there is the effort of having to buy a wii u because no one on the planet actually owns one

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stux posted:

well there is the effort of having to buy a wii u because no one on the planet actually owns one

You're thinking of the Vita.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stux posted:

I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I own both of these sorta dead consoles, which I contend is a testament to my love of games and not poor impulse control.

• Locked thread