Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

wtf else are you going to use, libre office?

i just discovered today that one of my co-workers, when he wants to plot data loads it up in libreoffice and starts poking at plotting wizards

dude's one of our core algorithm/domain experts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lomarf

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

this.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

im installing haskell and clash and spending the rest of time figuring out whatever the gently caress that pile of mess is because it will be less of a waste of time than working with verilog

I cannot overstate how eagerly I await a trip report from someone who actually knows this poo poo

one downside I can see: it still emits Verilog or SystemVerilog, so you still have to deal with that toolchain

but if you have a situation like "oh, this toolchain is one-dimensional-inputs only" maybe you can hack around it at the emitter layer and keep your own code clean

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

oh right im at work and every loving pile of poo poo piece of software that connects to the internet inexplicably cannot figure out how to use loving system proxy settings and half the time ships with no way of working with a loving proxy in the first place so of course its immediately rendered useless

gently caress this poo poo im out

Oh I forgot to mention yesterday but if cabal install can't get through your proxies, you can download the package yourself from hackage and then run cabal install (without the package name) and then it doesn't need to connect to the internet. Actually you gotta install the dependencies so cabal install --dry-run or look in the .cabal file for the deps? That would get annoying real fast though so nvm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I downloaded and installed stack because that's what it said to do for Windows but then nothing worked and I couldn't find any proxy config

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

I downloaded and installed stack because that's what it said to do for Windows but then nothing worked and I couldn't find any proxy config

i just loled irl

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and cabal is dumb as bricks about proxies

i loving hate proxies

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i really, truly wish i could share more without violating patents and copyrights and such. the rabbit hole is so much deeper than you know. we dominate the marketplace by being the least bad. it's like how ms word is the best word processor. like, it's rough and there's a lot of pain points but wtf else are you going to use, libre office?

i still haven't done any integration work w/ epic. its such a fun industry because you're always battling the EMR, the version of the EMR the hospital has installed, and the competency of the hospital staff to accommodate your integrations.

i was on a call with a hospital and one of the support people from their EMR company (either epic or ecw, i cant remember) to talk about Direct. I asked the emr guy if they supported sending things other than ccd through direct and he was all snarky about of course they don't cause why would you want to send something other than CCD (well because Direct is a generic secure message transport). So later when talking about how the ccd was processed i knew they didn't have automatic processing but i asked about it anyways citing a previous integration with all scripts and how they could automatically attach it to the patient record. The hospital medical director or w/e was on the call and got real excited about that idea and then the EMR tech had to admit they didn't have that yet but they were working on it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

i still haven't done any integration work w/ epic. its such a fun industry because you're always battling the EMR, the version of the EMR the hospital has installed, and the competency of the hospital staff to accommodate your integrations.

i was on a call with a hospital and one of the support people from their EMR company (either epic or ecw, i cant remember) to talk about Direct. I asked the emr guy if they supported sending things other than ccd through direct and he was all snarky about of course they don't cause why would you want to send something other than CCD (well because Direct is a generic secure message transport). So later when talking about how the ccd was processed i knew they didn't have automatic processing but i asked about it anyways citing a previous integration with all scripts and how they could automatically attach it to the patient record. The hospital medical director or w/e was on the call and got real excited about that idea and then the EMR tech had to admit they didn't have that yet but they were working on it.

if that was us and you happen to remember the guy's name, let me know so i can get him fired for being a moron. but im pretty sure it's not us because our answer to a question like that is usually "if we don't have an interface for that, we'll make one".

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Lots of people itt who get real enthusiastic about LINQ and list comprehensions but say they can't understand monads

They're the same thing

If you've done the mental heavy lifting to understand one, then you can grasp the other p. easily

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Zemyla posted:

Lots of people itt who get real enthusiastic about LINQ and list comprehensions but say they can't understand monads

They're the same thing

If you've done the mental heavy lifting to understand one, then you can grasp the other p. easily

That's because people always explain a monad by bringing in weird algebras and types instead of just going "here's a promise, look at how you use it, that's a monad", preferably in a non-haskell language

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i finally understand monads

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I read the F# for fun and profit pages about monoids and monads and they were easy to understand.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

monads or go(nads)??

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
what the hell is a monad

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

qntm posted:

what the hell is a monad

a burrito

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

if that was us and you happen to remember the guy's name, let me know so i can get him fired for being a moron. but im pretty sure it's not us because our answer to a question like that is usually "if we don't have an interface for that, we'll make one".

it was something that they had on the roadmap which is what he told the doc. it was funny. actually whats even more funny is the company that bought us is partially owned by all scripts so im probably gonna be doing a lot more stuff w/ them.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qntm posted:

what the hell is a monad

yes

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

qntm posted:

what the hell is a monad

let me bind a better question to that -- what isn't a monad????????

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

meatpotato posted:

Bloody: PS at least it ain't VHDL
there's an ihdl. domino logic/MCP expressed natively in RTL.

really though, systemverilog with SVTB/OVM just plugs together so beautifully. i think that, but have that doubt that it looks beautiful because i've seen the charred hellscape of a 40k specman e testbench for a 100kloc ihdl cluster

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
:siren: someone mentioned monads :siren:

:frogsiren: ABANDON THREAD :frogsiren:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

kloa posted:

monads or go(nads)??

puff puff.. I came as fast as I could

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
shaggar this will give you a lol

in our 837 claims load code, somebody tried to code it to filter leading/trailing whitespace from the sender and receiver IDs (ISA06 and ISA07) but instead made it read in only the first piece of the ID as a space-delimited string so, for example, "BUTT SENDER" was getting changed to "BUTT". apparently our customers have just been working around this by only putting the first words of sender IDs into the system and just never bothered to tell us. i have now fixed this by, as usual, deleting code that should never have been there in the first. i bet my net loc written is probably 0 because so much of what i do is delete harebrained code that shouldn't exist in the first place. i think i will put this on my resume as "performance-oriented development" or some poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
thats pretty classic. deleting other people's code is the best thing.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

piratepilates posted:

I think the whole point of Freer monads are that everything can be turned into a monad, but I could be mistaken there! I'd have to ask someone who knows more about that than I do.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

VikingofRock posted:

I think the whole point of Freer monads are that everything can be turned into a monad, but I could be mistaken there! I'd have to ask someone who knows more about that than I do.

Free monads turn any Functor into a monad

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

gonadic io posted:

monaids

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I didnt know you can turn any functor into a monad!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Yeah but I thought Freer monads removed the Functor restriction. Here's the paper on it--I just haven't had a chance to work my way through it yet.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
ah i thought that Freer was a typo. sorry but i've sworn off reading haskell academic papers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i think i will put this on my resume as "performance-oriented development" or some poo poo.

let's be honest

you're never leaving epic

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

let's be honest

your

it was a pretty good story

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

gonadic io posted:

*faaaarrrrtttt*

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

let's be honest

i do want to work with modern technologies and in other domains eventually. right now though, i have a lot of upcoming expenses that my current job definitely makes easier, especially with our insurance. i think leaving epic is more of a 5-ish years from now kind of thing though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

piratepilates posted:

elm signals

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

actually the fundamental structures in any purely functional reactive programming system cannot be monads unless you like memory leaks

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

qntm posted:

what the hell is a monad

Only registered members can see post attachments!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

we're not allowed to use linq expressions in our c# code and no one can give me a good reason why. it's so annoying.

i'm not allowed to because our "architect" doesn't really get the difference between Linq-To-SQL, Entity Framework, and Language Integrated Query.

i use them anyway :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Soricidus posted:

the filter version of the code meanwhile isn't python at all, which doesn't prove anything except maybe that it's easy to make things look nice when you don't have to care about real syntax

conversely, here's an actual example of the kind of thing i was talking about :

JavaScript code:
butts.filter(butt => butt.isBig()).forEach(butt => butt.insertProbe())
is not, in my opinion, an improvement on
JavaScript code:
for (let butt of butts) {
    if (butt.isBig()) {
        butt.insertProbe()
    }
} 

most of the time when people talk about for loops versus declarative alternatives it's not going to be something this trivial

I don't have an real world example right now, but a medium-complexity for loop that has a couple of nested if statements that does some stuff and also builds a new collection with the matches or some criterion is a terrible rat's nest, but should be quite trivially understandable as a linq method chain

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 12, 2016

• Locked thread