Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean... most of that is stuff I've seen once or twice before.

But god drat... that Swedish dude climbing into the cartoon fox was something else.

Honest moment guys. I have avoided, AVOIDED, this furry/brony crap for a long time on this site (cause I'll be darned if it doesn't come up constantly). I've laughed as I watched the first 5 seconds or so of that kita furry dude squeaking at Chris Roberts. But I have never. Never. Imagined the stuff that dude is doing in his channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
SC VR development is like getting a license plate number run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mba4B1j1Fxc

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

G0RF posted:

"VR is not a technical challenge. We need to do it at the right time." -- Ben Lesnick

The right time is before you start a project, not once you wrap it up. Sorry to break that news to you, buddy- but VR is not coming to Star Citizen at the 11th hour, or ever...

I mean, he's right in a very oblique way. It's not a technical challenge as much as a fundamental game design challenge: do you design the gameplay, interactions, and UI in such a way as to support VR, or do you go for a more scripted and controlled experience where the developer, not the player, decides what you're going to see?

It also add some technical complexity and restrictions on the assets you put into the game, but that scores lower on the challenge scale now that conventional interfaces and proper benchmark suites exist.

Of course, he probably meant it in the sense of “it won't be hard to add”, which is ignorant BS, as usual.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Honest moment guys. I have avoided, AVOIDED, this furry/brony crap for a long time on this site (cause I'll be darned if it doesn't come up constantly). I've laughed as I watched the first 5 seconds or so of that kita furry dude squeaking at Chris Roberts. But I have never. Never. Imagined the stuff that dude is doing in his channel.

I've seen a lot of really deeply disturbing internet things in my day. Honestly this probably isn't even the worst of them. But I still can't imagine why someone would film that and put it on the internet.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hello guys and gals, is the game out yet?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Beet Wagon posted:

I've seen a lot of really deeply disturbing internet things in my day. Honestly this probably isn't even the worst of them. But I still can't imagine why someone would film that and put it on the internet.

Well see it's because they're mentally ill. Hope this helps, bud

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/321781/the-constellation-gunship-heavy-variant

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zzulu posted:

Hello guys and gals, is the game out yet?

Yes, and it's incredibly good and fun to play. Everyone in the thread recommends you start with the completionist package and then add individual ships as new ones come out!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Combos/The-Completionist-Digital

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
Don't fur shame :colbert:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tortolia posted:

If they don't fully over commit to their bullshit front then it falls apart. Repeated statements of falsehoods presented as a truth ("open development", etc) is the only way to keep it up, else the house of cards will collapse in fairly short order.

Yeah. These livestreams are just footage of Lesnick and pals shovelling bullshit and dollar bills into the furnace that keeps Chris Roberts' wacky flying machine in the sky while Chris stands at the helm flapping his arms, convinced he's the one keeping it in the air.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

So from the way their forums are laid out is his in game name Peter or PeterPiper and is there a way to see the names of everyone on the server you are on like a /who command or something?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

I'm just impressed that I can't get a minute through one of those 10 for the chairman things but I just sunk around 30 into carmack nerd out about lighting and poo poo. It gets even more impressive if you've ever really done any complete implementation of 3d lighting poo poo and not just using built-in render poo poo. I'm pretty sure he is a wizard.

He is, and not the wall-eyed kind.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

quote:

Starmap orders will begin fulfillment. These are separate ones, not ones which came with the game packages. Remainders will be put on sale after first batch is fulfilled

yah ship out the recent orders first, gently caress the people who ordered that as part of a package in 2012

This company gives me so much joy

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Chalks posted:

Yeah. These livestreams are just footage of Lesnick and pals shovelling bullshit and dollar bills into the furnace that keeps Chris Roberts' wacky flying machine in the sky while Chris stands at the helm flapping his arms, convinced he's the one keeping it in the air.

This is a great analogy.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Skellybones posted:

Is your CPU 3 OK? :ohdear:

Be safe, CPU 3 ghost!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

I mean, he's right in a very oblique way. It's not a technical challenge as much as a fundamental game design challenge: do you design the gameplay, interactions, and UI in such a way as to support VR, or do you go for a more scripted and controlled experience where the developer, not the player, decides what you're going to see?

It also add some technical complexity and restrictions on the assets you put into the game, but that scores lower on the challenge scale now that conventional interfaces and proper benchmark suites exist.

Of course, he probably meant it in the sense of “it won't be hard to add”, which is ignorant BS, as usual.

It's mainly a game design challenge. You have to develop your game with VR in mind, you simply cannot slap on some support when your game is already in Beta.

If done well, VR can really make a game much, much better.

Case in point. Here is a very low visual fidelity video from Jan2015, taken from one of the lenses of a DK2 feed. It's a little long, but worth it. Pay attention to the UI, and the way the player uses his head to interact or get visual information from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djy83O0nfds

Positional sound also helps a lot. (E:D is suprisingly good on the sound department).

Now, think about SC, the forced animations it has, the tens of hours of cut-scenes, and the UI the game currently demonstrates. Does it look like a VR compatible concept?

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 11, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Enchanted Hat posted:

Some person in the chat told me to join his SC guild https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/DRACUL

I don't have an account, but maybe some of you commandos could join. They seem pretty hardcore:

latin makes every guild better

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ideate posted:

yah ship out the recent orders first, gently caress the people who ordered that as part of a package in 2012

This company gives me so much joy

Isn't this exactly what the kickstarted fridge and quadcopter did?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

D1E posted:

I think you missed the quote from someone who actually works at CIG stating "roadmaps would be unfair for the developers".

I'm not even being sarcastic. That's a direct quote.

ffs, really?

D1E posted:

Source: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320518/cig-could-you-provide-a-general-development-roadmap-on-the-website

Actual quote: "Adding a solid road map for a game that is in Alpha wouldn't be the best idea.
As Monkeh has pointed out, things are subject to change, and if we throw down solid road maps it would place unfair expectations from the community onto the developers.

Things are just too dynamic at the moment. "

oh my god.

That Enron story...

oh my god.

I'm writing my first fellowship proposal and my advisor's had me rewrite it so often, it's making me cry. But I can't imagine working without a general idea of what I'm doing and how I'm going to achieve it. I'd just be dicking around trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do. And with how vague Croberts can be... jesus christ...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

Also:
How is Vaulting and Parkour going to work in VR?

Nauseatingly? I can't wait for the class action suit once some of the backers die due to dehydration.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
This is apparently the actual subscriber flair this month

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/49zsfn/march_subscriber_flair_space_flower_emperor/

Star Citizen -giving backers the space finger since 2012

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Samizdata posted:

Nauseatingly? I can't wait for the class action suit once some of the backers die due to dehydration.

Was it Korea or China that have the Online 24+hours and rl death issues.
I think China treats it as an addiction in some cases so adding this - if it is all they say it is. Things will get much worse, much worse. You could almost lose track of space and time.

I have thought of picking up a Vive but since I need a new video card I have held off a bit. I am also not fond of FB/OVR and exclusive titles. Hate to spend 1500 Can on a paper weight. (+800 for GC)
I dont think it will go the way of 3d but a little bit of prudence until the reviews come in from unbiased sources until I pull the trigger.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

Those are actually examples where multicrew worked pretty well. Fully-crewed tanks were no joke in either game. Turret gunners in aircraft were kind of poo poo though.

I think the problem is that CIG values "realism" over gameplay and in doing so limits their options for what a non-pilot, non-gunner crewmember can do. They shouldn't be performing actual functions like putting all power to shields or whatever because yes, the pilot can do that on their own. I think that for the most part they should be playing a minigame of sorts that is themed towards whatever role they're fulfilling and their performance with that should provide an appropriate bonus to the ship. So maybe the engineer attempts to "harmonize the shields" when they take damage and it's a "keep the pip in the green zone" or "find the sweet spot" type of minigame and the better they do, the bigger bonus to shield regeneration. It could be simple like that, but since the engineer has other things to do like boost power to weapons or engines or direct repairs there can be multiple things to be done in combat that require the player engineer to prioritize and act quickly. Or the player could be responding to specific events that require the player to specific things in a specific order, like a mix of Cook, Serve, Delicious!, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes with a dash of Spaceteam-esque knobs and dials.

In any case, player crewmen in general should provide better bonuses than NPC crewmen and really good player crewmen should make a multicrewed ship a tough nut to crack.

Just spitballing here; I am not a game designer.

If you played Planetside with me, you kind of HAD to multicrew. I get lost REALLY easily at ground level.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Someone needs to make a PeterPAAARPER account

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I like the forums change Illfonic to redacted.
Wasn't that Sandi's role?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Tippis posted:

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Thoatse posted:

This is apparently the actual subscriber flair this month

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/49zsfn/march_subscriber_flair_space_flower_emperor/

Star Citizen -giving backers the space finger since 2012

That was my first thought. Well after the, "Is that a dildo?" one. :ohdear:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
so yeah... apparently every single flyable ship is in my inventory (so prolly in yours too)

quote:

includes all [flyable] variants including scythe / glaive, NO CUTLASS

Because seriously, gently caress the Cutlass.

Still, fly the Scythe that people were paying $2k for in this buggy mess.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

I have to admit, as stupid as it is, we're seeing signs of increasing sophistication on CIG's marketing front. This is only the latest of several coordinated initiatives meant to till the soil for their upcoming Space Farming expansion. We're getting space plants as flair, we're getting a Space Plants video multiparty video series, we're getting BioDomes on the MISC Endeavor, we're getting Chris talking fauna in "10 for the Chairmen".

It's a full court press at this point.

If anyone still has doubts about the veracity of EightAce's credentials, I think it's time to retire them. We heard it here first, and quite a while back.

I'm excited to see what comes next!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

G0RF posted:

I have to admit, as stupid as it is, we're seeing signs of increasing sophistication on CIG's marketing front. This is only the latest of several coordinated initiatives meant to till the soil for their upcoming Space Farming expansion. We're getting space plants as flair, we're getting a Space Plants video multiparty video series, we're getting BioDomes on the MISC Endeavor, we're getting Chris talking fauna in "10 for the Chairmen".

If anyone still has doubts about the veracity of EightAce's credentials, I think it's time to retire them. We heard it here first, and quite a while back.

Sand physics

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Hobold posted:

That was my first thought. Well after the, "Is that a dildo?" one. :ohdear:

This month's flair: The Splorch, in space grape flavor!

typical subscrubber 2 hours later:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
http://www.dorkly.com/post/77523/following-your-nerdy-dream

Shitizen reference.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I have seen true horror and it's croberts face.

procedural plantets lookin good

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

And now they just won at legos

They didn't *win*, they just submitted a model.
Or, rather, one of their guys did.

Lego Ideas is a crowdsourcing thing - anyone can upload a design.
Designs then get voted on by other users.
Those that end up in the top x are reviewed by a board, and if they pass the muster, end up as an official set, still marked as Lego Ideas.

There's very little of them every year, and it's almost never something niche.
It's usually general knowledge pop culture stuff.

Neither SC nor ED really fit the bill.

PS: there's a bunch of other SC and ED designs on Lego Ideas and the rover was actually uploaded last month, AFAIK. Sorry, guys, i know this thread's been a little dry lately, but there's really no Legogate.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

G0RF posted:

Of all the different things to focus on, why the fascination with farming?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

orcinus posted:

They didn't *win*, they just submitted a model.
Or, rather, one of their guys did.

Lego Ideas is a crowdsourcing thing - anyone can upload a design.
Designs then get voted on by other users.
Those that end up in the top x are reviewed by a board, and if they pass the muster, end up as an official set, still marked as Lego Ideas.

There's very little of them every year, and it's almost never something niche.
It's usually general knowledge pop culture stuff.

Neither SC nor ED really fit the bill.

PS: there's a bunch of other SC and ED designs on Lego Ideas and the rover was actually uploaded last month, AFAIK. Sorry, guys, i know this thread's been a little dry lately, but there's really no Legogate.

Don't worry, we've all moved on to giant pink space dildos as backer rewards.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Of all the different things to focus on, why the fascination with farming?

Because the system is largely divorced from the broken EVA, broken flight physics, and broken FPS. By focusing on it, they're taking focus away from the parts of the game they can't get working. They've opened up a can of theorycrafting worms now, to steer discussion into entirely new and mostly tech-neutral territory. I expect crafting, mining, etc. discussion focuses to follow. None of them, of course, with any associated game design or development.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Someone with some actual movie making talent involved in SC? How could they let this happen?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3297234/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember when Crobberts said that the amount of ship designs you could pledge for was only a tiny fraction of the amount of ship designs that would be in the game lol

• Locked thread