Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

In my previous job I spent a lot of my time porting an old VB6 application to C#, so I almost never had to write VB6 myself but I did spend enough time reading and debugging it for one lifetime. The VB6 code actually had surprisingly decent error handling most of the time, but all the important subroutines were hundreds of lines long and the form classes were full of hairy logic.

Speaking of that previous job, here's an excellent method from that C# codebase that a former coworker just showed me:

C# code:
internal static bool IsThingDeletable(Thing thing)
{
    if (thing != null)
    {
        //
        int iCount = 0;
        return iCount == 0 ? true : false;
    }
    return false;
}
My favorite part is the empty comment.

To me, this kind of construct always smells more of a global find/replace than any kind of specific bad coding. I want to believe that somewhere in the past there was a chunk of code between those middle two lines, but they were nuked (along with 150 identical snippets) and nobody cleaned up afterwards...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

qntm posted:

To me, this kind of construct always smells more of a global find/replace than any kind of specific bad coding. I want to believe that somewhere in the past there was a chunk of code between those middle two lines, but they were nuked (along with 150 identical snippets) and nobody cleaned up afterwards...

That or a bunch of individual small changes where the person to make the last change doesn't realize they can just replace the entire function. I think the for-case "pattern" usually comes about from the same process.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Can someone explain the "logic" behind an API creator asking an API consumer for a working implementation of something consuming their nonexistent API to validate that it works? Shockingly this isn't the first person to do this.

(So glad I'm out of this place next week :unsmigghh:)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"Sure, I'll implement that for you. Can you write some test cases that you'd expect to pass?"

Could be worse, they could be asking for a detailed spec in English instead.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

leper khan posted:

Can someone explain the "logic" behind an API creator asking an API consumer for a working implementation of something consuming their nonexistent API to validate that it works? Shockingly this isn't the first person to do this.

It sounds like some utterly bizarre attempt at distributed test driven development.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

It sounds like some utterly bizarre attempt at distributed test driven development.

To me sounds like the API creator has no idea what they're supposed to be doing.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

HardDisk posted:

To me sounds like the API creator has no idea what they're supposed to be doing.

That's my guess but the baffling thing is that in every case it's happened (multiple people, multiple orgs) there's a fully documented spec with example I/O.

Hoping :yotj: has better people.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

qntm posted:

I'm guessing you're not far off, but instead of find/replace it's a copy/paste thing. I remember there were other IsXDeletable methods that would check for the presence of objects in the database that depend on the input object (which is what the count variable is about), but in the case of this particular entity there was nothing to check because there were no foreign keys pointing to the table. This is what happens when you create the structure of your code before you create the contents.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

leper khan posted:

Maybe I'm misreading this, but perhaps it's to provide example use cases that they should design their API to accommodate? API design is hard and it doesn't seem like thaaaat much of a horror to demand examples of how a consumer expects to use it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Soricidus posted:

I guess the pages you're visiting aren't bothering to specify the language of the text? Or your phone isn't respecting that specification? Like, solutions exist, it's a shame Unicode isn't perfect but it's not like we haven't had decades to find workarounds.

There are also well-defined modifier sequences for specifying precise Han glyph variants when it actually matters. I don't think anyone bothers to use them, though.

I guess. The problem is that more pages than not do not bother (probably because if your system language is set to the "right" one it defaults to the right thing). Or maybe they are and Android Chrome just ignores it. I think a system that depends on people tagging their Web pages properly was doomed to run into these problems. The same problems exist with native Android applications but I have no idea if there is a possible workaround there besides changing your system language.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 11, 2016

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
http://download.java.net/jdk9/docs/api/java/util/Map.html#of-K-V-K-V-K-V-K-V-K-V-K-V-K-V-K-V-K-V-K-V-

This is a coding horror, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nah. How else would you do compact inline initialization?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Some kind of easily written syntactic sugar for key-value pairs... oh wait it's Java, never mind.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
On a scale of "put it on the backlog" to "OMG FIX IT NOW", how bad is it if the legacy project I've just been assigned to stores passwords as MD5 hashes? Pretty bad, right? As I understand it, between vulnerabilities and speed-of-attack, MD5 is barely one step above plaintext?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Unsalted md5 hashes are about as useful as base64-encoding the password these days. It stops a well-intentioned person from seeing the user passwords while looking at the user database, and not much more.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Plorkyeran posted:

Unsalted md5 hashes are about as useful as base64-encoding the password these days. It stops a well-intentioned person from seeing the user passwords while looking at the user database, and not much more.

That's kind of what I thought.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Finster Dexter posted:

On a scale of "put it on the backlog" to "OMG FIX IT NOW", how bad is it if the legacy project I've just been assigned to stores passwords as MD5 hashes? Pretty bad, right? As I understand it, between vulnerabilities and speed-of-attack, MD5 is barely one step above plaintext?

Yeah unsalted md5 hashes are very vulnerable to rainbow table attacks. If you have the salt and algorithm you can generate your own rainbow tables relatively quickly also.

What is the best way to create passwords these days? How do password managers like LastPass store them? I'd imagine a unique salt per password and something with a long hash creation time, but is there anything better than that currently for text-based passwords?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Knyteguy posted:

How do password managers like LastPass store them? I'd imagine a unique salt per password and something with a long hash creation time, but is there anything better than that currently for text-based passwords?

Given that the password needs to be fetched, it would have to be symmetric encryption as opposed to hashing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ChickenWing posted:

Given that the password needs to be fetched, it would have to be symmetric encryption as opposed to hashing.

Right, but the whole password container/archive would be encrypted as well (or should be) and that can be encrypted asymmetrically with a hash of the master password+a salt.

edit: let me rephrase that: the master password can be encrypted asymmetrically. Obviously the container itself has to be reversibly encrypted, but the key to do that doesn't have to be.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

http://doc.akka.io/japi/akka/2.3.14/akka/japi/tuple/Tuple22.html

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Right, but the whole password container/archive would be encrypted as well (or should be) and that can be encrypted asymmetrically with a hash of the master password+a salt.

edit: let me rephrase that: the master password can be encrypted asymmetrically. Obviously the container itself has to be reversibly encrypted, but the key to do that doesn't have to be.

Lastpass are open about how all that works, I'm pretty sure the master password is salted (with the username?) and hashed a number of times (5000 I think is the default) on the client before it's sent for authentication. Everything else is encrypted before it's sent to the server, with a key derived from the master password, and only ever decrypted locally

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

The one exception being users with password managers (or that are extremely dedicated to memorizing noise). 20 random characters is not getting cracked.

Though random passwords aren't nearly as important to hide in the first place.

Knyteguy posted:

Yeah unsalted md5 hashes are very vulnerable to rainbow table attacks. If you have the salt and algorithm you can generate your own rainbow tables relatively quickly also.

What is the best way to create passwords these days? How do password managers like LastPass store them? I'd imagine a unique salt per password and something with a long hash creation time, but is there anything better than that currently for text-based passwords?

To create them? Whatever you can remember best, while keeping an estimate of entropy for each part and adding it all up.

For login passwords and master passwords you want the same thing. A really slow hash, perferably memory-intense. Apparently LastPass uses a lot of sha256 and KeePass uses a lot of AES rounds with sha256 at the start and end. Not memory-intense, oh well.

For storing the passwords in a manager you use whatever block cipher is convenient.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
hahahaha, all these immature languages that don't have native syntax for fancy types! let a real language show you how it's done...

https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/libraries/ghc-prim-0.4.0.0/GHC-Tuple.html

bonus: http://git.haskell.org/packages/ghc-prim.git/blob/HEAD:/GHC/Tuple.hs#l134

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Suspicious Dish posted:

hahahaha, all these immature languages that don't have native syntax for fancy types! let a real language show you how it's done...

https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/libraries/ghc-prim-0.4.0.0/GHC-Tuple.html

bonus: http://git.haskell.org/packages/ghc-prim.git/blob/HEAD:/GHC/Tuple.hs#l134

If java was a real language they wouldn't have stopped at 22 :colbert:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
As horrible as that stuff is, sometimes when I see some template abomination to do something like that "well" in C++ I wonder if it's all worth it in the end.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
It's just a band-aid until dependent types can become a mainstream thing. Haskell tuples will be about as relevant as 36-bit integers when there's size-typed lists.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Sinestro posted:

size-typed lists.
What, like pascal?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Finster Dexter posted:

On a scale of "put it on the backlog" to "OMG FIX IT NOW", how bad is it if the legacy project I've just been assigned to stores passwords as MD5 hashes?
It depends what your threat model is. Something like a store of scrypt digests is going to stand up reasonably well to offline attacks while MD5 is basically no better than plaintext. However, if your primary threat is online attack, then so long as you have reasonable online defenses (rate limits and such) the way in which they're stored doesn't really matter.

Of course, you should be concerned about potential theft of the password database, so it should be changed eventually.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Sinestro posted:

It's just a band-aid until dependent types can become a mainstream thing. Haskell tuples will be about as relevant as 36-bit integers when there's size-typed lists.

i think you can have dependent type's favorite datatype, vectors, in haskell now with enough extensions enabled

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

And in a language with no record types, counting to tuple7 takes 1000 loc
http://referencesource.microsoft.com/#mscorlib/system/tuple.cs

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
idg what's so hard about tuples just do

code:
n tuple
s tuple(1)=$na(foo),tuple(2)=$na(bar),tuple(3)=$na(baz)....tuple(999999)=$na(butt)
btrees make everything easy

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Maybe I'm misreading this, but perhaps it's to provide example use cases that they should design their API to accommodate? API design is hard and it doesn't seem like thaaaat much of a horror to demand examples of how a consumer expects to use it.

Example use cases are in the API doc though. It's not like the thing isn't specified. They just literally don't know how to test their own code.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Rectus posted:

Some kind of easily written syntactic sugar for key-value pairs... oh wait it's Java, never mind.

That is the syntactic sugar, fresh from the sugar mines

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

fritz posted:

What, like pascal?

I think what Sinestro means is that you would have lists (or tuples) where the size is part of the type, so a list of 5 integers is a different type from a list of 6 integers. Think C++'s std::array.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

fritz posted:

What, like pascal?

More like heterogenous lists.

The upside is you can have any number and type of elements in the list. You could have an HList '[Int, String, Double] that works like an (Int, String, Double) tuple.

The downside is consuming these lists in any kind of general fashion is almost ineffably complicated, and it requires almost every extension GHC has to be turned on.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I am working on a sizable Haskell program as part of my PhD, and as an experiment, I tried to develop one fairly self-contained leaf module in a kind of dependently typed style, with type-sized lists and all. Don't do it; it's not worth it.

You can see the result here if you wish. I ended up spending too much time doing boilerplate crap like proving (m + (n - m)) = n or ((n + m) - k) = ((n - k) + m) - all to convince the type checker of the correctness when I was concatenating and splitting vectors of various sizes. Compared to the amount of work it takes to work with these heavyweight type systems, what you get out of them is very little. It works much better in languages like Agda and Idris, mostly because they have tool support to autogenerate the most trivial proofs for you (but I still think you'd end up doing a lot of elementary school arithmetic, as I did - only Coq has a semi-solution for that).

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

http://www.scala-lang.org/api/2.10.3/#scala.collection.Map$

almost Java...

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

That's actually a little better than the Java syntax specified above.

code:
val myMap: Map[Int, String] = Map(
  1 -> "one",
  2 -> "two",
  3 -> "three")

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

KernelSlanders posted:

That's actually a little better than the Java syntax specified above.

code:

val myMap: Map[Int, String] = Map(
  1 -> "one",
  2 -> "two",
  3 -> "three")

It's miles better, that's why I was pointing it out. Sorry, wrong thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Steve French posted:

It's miles better, that's why I was pointing it out. Sorry, wrong thread?

No, I don't think so, although it's probably worth pointing out that most of the sugar there comes not from Map but form ArrowAssoc at https://github.com/scala/legacy-svn-scala/blob/master/src/library/scala/Predef.scala#L249