Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

AsYouWish posted:

Honestly I wouldn't reccomend this (ilu and im not snooting but :shobon: ) A pit (and I'm sure many other DA dogs) can then go on to start a fight with its body language and have no way to back it up, which can turn into them hyping up their dog intolerance if/when they have a bad experience. Honestly the focus needs to be on the owner keeping the dog out of situations where a fight can happen, especially at first. That isn't to say that tolerating a muzzle isn't a good skill for all dogs to learn, just that it isn't really helpful when it comes to managing a DA dog and it could potentially lead to "worsening" their behavior under the right circumstances.

edit: ("worsening" is in quotes because it's helpful for pit owners to realize that their dogs aren't "bad." This is what they were bred for. You wouldn't be embarrassed and ashamed that your labrador was interested in retrieving; and you shouldnt be ashamed that your pit bull is dog aggressive. They're doing what we made them to do!)

That's fair enough, you know better than I do about this stuff. I had considered that too when writing this and thought I was anthropomorphizing them too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
What is DA?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

when your dog thinks the funnest idea would be to grab another dog by the neck and just shake that fucker around til its dead.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Dog Aggression.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

really specifically, it's a dog's tendency to show aggression towards other dogs. it's a spectrum and it's important to know where your dog falls on it, and to keep in mind that where your dog is on it can change depending on age, stress level, or health status. my dog is old enough now (11) that she's become more tolerant again just because she can't be bothered most times, but she still has other dogs that she would just love to have an excuse to fight.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I am living the dream, Miniature Schnauzers, that may outlive me. Except the farts, dear lord the post lap jump farts. One of the two really hates being on leash and seeing any other dog and was influencing the other dog (smartest dog alive) so I walk him around my back yard, to wear him out. Even without a leash, he follows me and it takes his (small) energy out.

Hark, another Fart!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I was at an agility trial last weekend next to a pair of miniature schnauzers. At the end of the day when their owner was packing up and took the crate covers off it released a giant cloud of farts that had been trapped under the cover all day. I actually had to check to see if my dog shat his crate it was that bad.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
If I had infinite time and resources, Pax might be able to try out SAR :/

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I could use some thoughts on why my dog is a doofus. We got her (GSD) when she was 6-7 months old, about 5 months ago, and she was always super scared of dogs when we'd be walking. She'd try and pull and run away, now that's transitioned to her trying to pull towards the dogs we pass on walks and growling and barking. I've been taking her up to my friend's house who has a super chill dog and I've noticed that when they are outside together alone they are perfectly content and will get close and sniff each other and run around together with no fuss, but as soon as someone else is outside (it can be anyone) she will go crazy barking and snarling at the other dog. Even when I am pulling into his house and am letting her out of the car she just goes crazy barking and growling and running at him, but if I just walk inside she stops and is super well behaved. Is she being protective? Why is she doing this? I left them outside for 20 mins and watched them outside the window and they were fine, as soon as I went out it was mayhem.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
That in no way shape or form is your gsd being ~protective~. she is anxious as poo poo and has what sounds like fairly concerning fear issues. your dog has learned that being scared and hiding doesnt work so she's transitioned to losing her loving poo poo at the things she's scared of in hopes that they will go away - which for GSDs tends to be very, very effective because no one wants their dog to throw down with a gsd. with respect to your buddy's dog, she's seeing something shes afraid of (strangers and strange dogs) and redirecting her anxiety on to your bud's dog. you need to get on top of this poo poo asap before she nails someone or before she gets in a fight with your friend's dog.

Just taking a wild guess here but she's a rescue yeah?

~stop attributing lovely fearful gsd behavior to being protective 2k16~

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
We have discovered that Worf will happily chase his favorite ball up and down the stairs for hours with no protest and this wears him out way more than any walk could, so the no-outdoors exercise plan is in effect. Thor will get walks on his own, and we also bought Thor a treat puzzle that we can play with with him so it's not just Worf getting playtime attention from us.

In typical Thor fashion, he figured out the "right" way to solve the puzzle in about 30 seconds, and 30 second after that realized it was waaaaay easier to just push it over to the stairs, chuck it down them, then harvest the treaty rewards. Thor is such a dick and I love him. We need to get him a harder puzzle and put a gate in front of the stairs next time.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
terrible fear issues that result in the dog blowing the gently caress up whenever they are uncomfortable is probably the #1 behavioral problem in GSDs (ESPECIALLY rescues). i really do sympathize with you, one of our bitches learned in the shelter that if you're scared of something approaching you, squaring off and roaring at it until it goes away is an A+ awesome way to handle poo poo. its a loving bitch to deal with at first and now that your dog's learned that screaming and redirecting is the best way to handle her anxiety, it's going to be a lot harder to deal with than if you had addressed her fear issues when they initially popped up. You can deal with it tho and once you figure out what sets her off and how to deal with it, managing her problems will become second nature but if you keep telling yourself its just her being protective you're gonna end up with a dog who fuckin mangles someone. I know I tout it all the time but BAT helped a shitload both with my intensely fear reactive GSD and my extremely DA GSD. BAT is cool and good people with difficult reactive dogs should check it out. CC/DS is ok I guess but it really doesn't teach dogs HOW to cope with their ~emotions~

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

We have discovered that Worf will happily chase his favorite ball up and down the stairs for hours with no protest and this wears him out way more than any walk could, so the no-outdoors exercise plan is in effect. Thor will get walks on his own, and we also bought Thor a treat puzzle that we can play with with him so it's not just Worf getting playtime attention from us.

In typical Thor fashion, he figured out the "right" way to solve the puzzle in about 30 seconds, and 30 second after that realized it was waaaaay easier to just push it over to the stairs, chuck it down them, then harvest the treaty rewards. Thor is such a dick and I love him. We need to get him a harder puzzle and put a gate in front of the stairs next time.

Dude running up and down the stairs is loving murder on a young dog's body (any dog's body!!!). yes exercising him in non-walks ways is great considering his emerging DA but that is such a bad way to go about it ._.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I know she's super anxious and I really have never considered her behaviour as her being protective, but I was just confused why she would be ok when no one else was outside, but freak out on the other dog when someone else was around. She wasn't a rescue, but she was in kind of rough shape when we got her. I think she was kept in a crate most the day and rarely let outside. Thanks for your input, I'll take a look at the BAT stuff.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ausrotten posted:

terrible fear issues that result in the dog blowing the gently caress up whenever they are uncomfortable is probably the #1 behavioral problem in GSDs (ESPECIALLY rescues). i really do sympathize with you, one of our bitches learned in the shelter that if you're scared of something approaching you, squaring off and roaring at it until it goes away is an A+ awesome way to handle poo poo. its a loving bitch to deal with at first and now that your dog's learned that screaming and redirecting is the best way to handle her anxiety, it's going to be a lot harder to deal with than if you had addressed her fear issues when they initially popped up. You can deal with it tho and once you figure out what sets her off and how to deal with it, managing her problems will become second nature but if you keep telling yourself its just her being protective you're gonna end up with a dog who fuckin mangles someone. I know I tout it all the time but BAT helped a shitload both with my intensely fear reactive GSD and my extremely DA GSD. BAT is cool and good people with difficult reactive dogs should check it out. CC/DS is ok I guess but it really doesn't teach dogs HOW to cope with their ~emotions~

Dude running up and down the stairs is loving murder on a young dog's body (any dog's body!!!). yes exercising him in non-walks ways is great considering his emerging DA but that is such a bad way to go about it ._.

fair enough. he's just as content to chase it into the kitchen. we're working on finding a larger indoor space we can get to ourselves on a regular basis to play fetch with him. didn't know about stairs being rough on dogs so we'll gate them off completely when we play from now on.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
You don't have to ban him from all stairs forever dude just don't have him chase balls up and down them a bunch

moderation motherfucker

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
I love this idiot bear

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ausrotten posted:

You don't have to ban him from all stairs forever dude just don't have him chase balls up and down them a bunch

moderation motherfucker

yeah, that post was ambiguous. i meant i would gate off the stairs while we're chasing the ball so it doesn't go down there and he doesn't go up and down a billion times. he fuckin loves running up and down the stairs.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I had to buzz my head because of a hair cutting accident and my neurotic hound dog completely didn't recognize me until I chased him down and made him sniff me.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

gonna post this pic all over cause drat.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

yeah, that post was ambiguous. i meant i would gate off the stairs while we're chasing the ball so it doesn't go down there and he doesn't go up and down a billion times. he fuckin loves running up and down the stairs.

You could try buying or making a spring or flirt pole(especially the former). I've got some friends with pits that love both because it works well with the prey drive/CHASE CHASE CHASE thing. Would be worth trying and you can make one on the cheap.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 16, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This is Ripley

She is a half ACD and half Border Collie (we think, because she looks like one), and is 11 weeks old. I got her from a shelter. She is a badass. Whenever her larger brother jumped on her, she took him right down. She is very smart, playful, and curious. She went right into her crate without question and slept there without making a sound. We got up every 3 hours through the night to take her out, where she did all of her business.

Then this morning she poo poo about 5 times in the house.

How the hell does 10 lbs of poo poo come out of a 10 lb dog?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 16, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

An exceedingly efficient metabolism. She looks like she has a bit of beagle in her, but I'm not an expert and anything but unbiased.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Omg we took her outside this morning, then 20 minutes later instead of making GBS threads all over the house, she walked over to the door and scratched it to let me know it was time to go. I think it helps that we now have her confined to the one room, but wow I'm impressed.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Belle is an interesting pup. From time to time when out on walks or bathroom sessions she'll drop down to her tummy on the grass and then schooch around using her back legs. It I attempt to move on while she does this, she willingly lets herself be pulled around with some minor assistance from her hind legs so long as it's on grass.

Is 9 months a bit late for a Beagle to not hit her first heat? When we thought she was 6 months old, the vet said she would be due for one within the next month or so. Turns out she's a fair bit older, but her previous owners never had her fixed or ever mentioned her having any. I haven't seen anything myself.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I have a question regarding some medical biz for my doggy since she's kind of hurt and I didn't see like a medical questions megathread so I figured I'd just ask here.

She's got a torn nail, like, pretty badly torn. It's hanging off the toe a little big, but it looks like just the hard outer bit's hanging off and the meat's exposed. Now I know I need to take her to the vet, and I will as soon as I possibly can, it's just not an option right now as much as it loving kills me, since I love my doggy very much. I'm not asking about what I can do to fix it really, since the vet will take care of that I imagine, I'm just looking for something I can do to make this situation easier for her since I know she's in a lot of pain. It looks like I could yank that bit of nail off if I tried hard enough but that just sounds like a loving terrible idea, especially since she's not bleeding right now and I'd hate to start it up again unnecessarily. I could get her some antibiotics and bandage her up but I would hate to do something wrong and end up hurting her more than helping her. I know she'll do a decent job of keeping the wound clean but she's nursing it pretty hard.

I'm pretty desperate for advice at this point, I've been grappling with this for days and doing all the research I can, I just feel so bad for her and that I can't get her to the vet at this very moment.

I have a picture but it looks kind of gross so I'll link it:

http://i.imgur.com/eYgUcoq.jpg

The top "shell" of the nail is just kind of hanging off, bu the bottom part is still attached to the feet meats.

Also I got in touch with my mother (dog stays with her) and she's kind of hesitant about taking the dog to the vet because she doesn't want to pay 300 dollars to have a doctor "do something we can do ourselves" and she's adamant we can get the nail off, treat the wound, and bandage the foot ourselves. I don't agree with this and I would rather pay the money just for the fact that a professional is doing it and there's less chance there'll be a fuckup but I can't do anything about it right now.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Ugh. For the love of god, go see a vet and at the very least get your dog some pain killers. That sucks.

I don't really give a poo poo that you can remove the nail and bandage the paw at home. Go take your buddy to a medical professional. That's one of the responsibilities you have to your animal when you own a pet.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Vet time, ASAP.

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
You really need a vet to deal with that.

You can spray some blue kote or out some neosporin on it and wrap it until you can get to the vet. Note: this is not a substitute for vet, just to keep it clean until vet. Because vet.

EDIT: OK WOW I DID NOT SEE THE PIC. Vet now.

AsYouWish fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 17, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh yeah I'm well aware that it's vet time, it just really isn't an option at the moment, so I'm just doing everything I can and getting as much advice as I can to make her life a little bit easier. I don't agree with the "saving money when we can do it at home" aspect since I don't think the dog's current owner really understands how dog bones and nails and stuff work. She's definitely getting medical attention ASAP, don't worry.

So since I posted that I finally got in touch with a friend of mine who has experience working with farm animals and stuff, and she brought over some antibiotic ointment, some gauze, wrap, all of that business. Decided not to cut the nail because it's still on there pretty good. It was a bit of a hassle getting her to cooperate but it should hold until we're ready to take her to see a professional. Sad thing is, even if we could take her to one right now, the only vet within like 200 miles is closed until Friday so that's a bit of a bummer.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah, hit the vet tomorrow imo. That can turn into a nasty infection fast and from the picture looks like it'll probably be a (quick) surgical removal. Amy the idiot clocked her dew claw pretty drat good like, I don't know, a year ago-ish and it looked nowhere near that bad. She split it into her nailbed. They almost had to remove it then. That's way worse looking and definitely looks like a removal fwiw ime.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I don't know why it "isn't an option" go take your dog to the vet. If it's money, just work something out with the vet, a payment plan or something. Please don't leave this injury alone for days because a vet trip "isn't an option", it's far better to get it treated once and for all by a professional immediately rather than leaving it alone for days (or giving random amateur treatment) and hoping it doesn't get worse.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Guys, I just adopted a dog, and she is the Best Dog Ever. I mean, she ate half a birthday cake that I didn't think to put up high, and she pooped in the house, and she peed on the floor, but I figure these are inexperienced owner things and not really her fault. Because she is the Best Dog.

But. Here is what I need help with. Background: She is a 4-year-old Lhasa Apso (according to the foster) who looks like a Shih Tzu (so who knows, but who can tell the difference, right?). She weighs about 10 pounds and was surrendered from a house with a lot of dogs. She is hesitant about new people (it took me about 10-15 minutes to get her to let me pet her) but has warmed up to me and my boyfriend. However, she's extra hesitant around kids. My 11-year-old has approached her very carefully and cautiously and she's starting to get used to him, but my 8-year-old is impulsive and autistic, and she has snapped at him a few times when he made movements too quickly, especially when he tried to pet her when she was on my lap. It reminded me of how my grandma's Pekingese used to react when people approached my grandma - she was a one-person dog and very protective.

So: what specific steps should I take to get my kid and the dog friendly with each other? I want to emphasize that he is a very considerate kid and would never hurt a dog, but he will need instructions on how to approach her appropriately. What are things we should watch for, avoid, etc? Should I expect that she will learn to get used to him being loud, impulsive etc? Or will that always be a problem?

Some pics of her: http://imgur.com/a/ozs3r

Btw, can anyone tell a Lhasa from Shih Tzu?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

First two nights, the puppy slept in her crate, not making a sound. Next two nights, she cried for a minute after I put her in at bedtime and when I took her out in the middle of the night. Night after that, she barked all morning after her 4:00 am potty break.

Last night, she barked and cried all night.

I'm not giving her attention when she barks and cries in the crate. I just get up for the scheduled breaks every 3 hours. I take her outside, she goes, I put her back in the crate. She went back to barking and crying immediately.

I think she's become nocturnal. As I sit here typing she is sleeping.

She gets as much exercise as she can for a 12 week old. She gets her final round of shots this week and I'll be able to walk her until I have to carry her home. In my sleep deprived state I don't know how that could work. She will be too tired and go to sleep 3 hours before bedtime and wake up thinking it's playtime.

Should I keep the crate closed during the day so she can't go sleep in there? She's sleeping on the doormat now though.

Should I run her around more? Her schedule seems to be run around like a maniac for two hours, sleep for two hours, repeat.

Should I be patient and make more coffee?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Meet Skyla, the Detroit mutt we rescued

She does a lot of this (including smiling).

Also a lot of this.

She's really awesome. Wife crate trained her in a day and she's doing great with house training but little mistakes are happening.

That's all, she's a boss. Just wanted to introduce. Will be back with questions and likely more pictures if you'd like to see more.

Oh, forgot to mention that she's also a weirdo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Really cute pup.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah gonna need about five thousand pics of that adorable little thing, thanks. :swoon:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

She must be growing today, couldn't be assed to play hardly at all. Our play sessions only lasted ten minutes before she needed a solid break like this one. I watched the back half of Star Trek into darkness (never seen the first half) exactly like this.

Last week, loves the ball already.

My youngest is attached.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
D'awww!

I can't stop taking pictures of my new baby:

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
So this past Wednesday my wife and I adopted this super cute 4 month old bundle of Black lab and possibly GSD mix, the shelter wasn't sure on the mix, but she's obviously lab. Her name is Layla.

I have a couple of concerns though, figured I'd post and see if I'm just being a paranoid puppy owner. I'm very experienced with owning dogs but this is my first puppy since my childhood, so I don't remember much. The other two we've adopted have been older dogs. I'm just so anxious about this dog growing up with major fear aggression issues when she matures. My wife tells me I'm being crazy and that more interaction at the petstore/walks will do her good and nothing she's doing is incredibly concerning at this stage, instead I'm on the internet googling everything I can. Unfortunately I'm getting a lot of conflicting information that she's normal but needs some training to she's going to be a cold blooded dog murderer.

She seems to be a shy girl, but not in the house and with us. With us, she's very playful, licky, cuddly, and wants to snuggle up a bunch. She's very playful with our 3 year old and shows no signs of aggression. She has no resource aggression and she doesn't seem to care about loud noises (except for below). She's like what most people would associate with "puppy" when it comes to interacting with us - super playful, affectionate, and snuggly.

The places I'm a bit concerned about though is her alert barking and her shyness with strangers. The pup is alert barking at everything she hears outside or on the TV if it has anything to do with dogs. If she hears a dog barking on TV she goes into alert mode with a couple of belly growls at the end. You can get her to quiet down (by calmly telling her "quiet") but she'll continue the little muffled growls for a few seconds afterwards. It seems like it's only in the house though. If she's outside and hears a dog barking, she just sort of stops in her place and listens intently. I'm used to alert barking but the growls at the end concern me a little bit. They don't seem like aggressive growls - more like grumbles - but my previous two dogs never did that. She will also do this to her reflection in the door when it's dark. She has zero aggression towards her older canine housemate though (our 10 year old husky mix). All she wants to do is play and cuddle with him.

We brought her to petsmart today and there was one little dachshund across the store - she alert barked at that dog. But then anytime she was within a closer distance of the dogs, she just seemed shy but no barking or growling at all.

The other thing we're noticing is she's a bit shy with strangers. We've had a few people over our house and she's been very friendly with them in the house. While out on a walk with her though, we came across a few people and dogs with some mixed reactions. The two people she met, she went up to sniff them and then pulled away from their hand and backed off. She eventually went back to sniff the person but then backed off again and then just sat and watched them. No barking, no growling, but she didn't really seem to want to interact with them either.

The scenarios with the two dogs went completely opposite ways. First, we came across a family with their two dogs (huskies). Layla was barking at them from a distance and didn't really seem to want anything to do with them. The two huskies just sort of ignored her and didn't react in any way. But Layla was barking and sort of shying away from them. This was from a distance of about 10 feet. The second interaction she had was with a younger 3 month old lab pup going for a walk with her family. Layla didn't bark at all, but she had her hackles up and sniffed a bit with the dog. Eventually the two of them liked each other and play bowed a bit. This interaction went MUCH better.

Am I freaking out about all this unnecessarily? Does this seem like normal puppy behavior? I just want to make sure I'm raising this puppy right and don't want her to end up with fear aggression.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Here are some more pics of Teddy! He's a little over 12 weeks now. Seems like he's going to be pretty small from his current weight, he's at about 11 lbs, which seems a bit low for either a lab or aussie, but I guess we'll find out eventually.

He might be the smartest/easiest to train pup I've ever had, and my other dogs were golden/aussie and lab/doberman, so pretty intelligent dogs in their own right. He was potty trained on the first night I brought him home and knows quite a few commands already.