Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

The Chairman posted:

Timetravel no longer works at Carbine. The healing can begin.

Did he get hired by Blizzard too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

CoffeeBooze posted:

Did he get hired by Blizzard too?

Either laid off or quit with no new job lined up, as far as can be gauged by his Twitter account. Obviously it's an internal Carbine/NCsoft HR issue either way so don't bug any current employees for the scoop.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I was curious if there was any entertaining dirt on TT getting poo poo canned so I checked the thread in r/wildstar. It was full of people practically grieving over the dude. There really is something wrong with these people

The last time I saw him get called out for being lovely to his player base he got incredibly apologetic. I wonder if someone at Carbine actually realized he was part of the game's problem and had put him on notice. I'm not going to go asking current employees to comment of course.

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009

Berious posted:

Remember the jungle zone for noobs which was PVP enabled that also had tons of reasons for higher players to be there? Getting ganked a million times was character building

Ah, Stranglethorn Vale.
The road from Duskwood to Booty Bay is paved with the bones of my alts.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
http://massivelyop.com/2016/03/11/wildstar-loses-more-staff-donatelli-speaks-out-about-his-illness/

Cut China release, 60 or so more layoffs. Hope you're doing okay, Cyster.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
rest in piss chinese version of bad game

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Well, at least this dumpster fire has just about finished burning itself out. It was funny for a while but it is just sad watching the inevitable wave after wave of layoffs.

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Carbine has existed for 11 years as of next month. 11 loving years and all they have been able to produce is Wildstar. That is pretty remarkable.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

It's apparently around 70 people now, not much under half of carbine's staff, allegedly.

According to other places, this includes pretty much the entirety of their raid team.

It sucks for the people that got let go, but at least this abortion of a game can finally finish fulfilling the thread title.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeBooze posted:

Well, at least this dumpster fire has just about finished burning itself out. It was funny for a while but it is just sad watching the inevitable wave after wave of layoffs.

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Carbine has existed for 11 years as of next month. 11 loving years and all they have been able to produce is Wildstar. That is pretty remarkable.

lol, 11 years to make a copy of a game that came out in 2004 but SCIFI

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I feel like I should write up a "How free to play failed to save Wildstar". Like there were a lot of good decisions made with F2P (Throwing that abortion of an atunement out) but it was followed up with some majorly boneheaded bullshit.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I dont think the f2p model is what failed Wildstar. I think botching the games launch for a second time is what did it.

A lot of people were willing to give Wildstar a second chance when it went f2p. Even in this thread a fair number of people installed the game to give it a go. The absolute disaster they made of that launch was probably the last nail in the game's proverbial coffin.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
IMO MMOs live and die by the state of their launch

if your launch is poo poo and things are broken, like....if you tell people a vital quest is broken so they should reroll, your game is dead

going F2P won't fix it

IMO you get one chance at a launch and it has to be solid

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
Is cyster okay guys :ohdear:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I dont know which would be worse, being a laid off or being kept onboard with the few remaining staff who have to do the jobs of two or three people to keep bailing water on that particular sinking ship. At least you have time to search for a new job when you are collecting unemployment.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Wasn't the china release going to save wildstar even though it was totally fine and not dead and dying at all.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

<---

I'm okay. Gonna keep on keepin' on (with eyes open for opportunities, as smart folks do.)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
goo dluck

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Cyster posted:

<---

I'm okay. Gonna keep on keepin' on (with eyes open for opportunities, as smart folks do.)

I hope you find a new place that's not a dumpster fire. Nobody needs that daily stress.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hey look no one wants to play a "harder" MMO because that's out dated! Lets all go talk about how it is actually good, in the Camelot unleased thread!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think F2P can allow a botched launch to at least stay afloat, but Wildstar's was not good. I logged in to check it out, and I had nearly 100 in-game mails of various gear and items that got changed and replaced. I didn't even have my weapon anymore: I had to fish through my mail to find them drat thing.

Now, maybe that's the accumulated result of several patches fixing poo poo, and not just the F2P transition, but you still have to keep in mind what you're putting lapsed players through when you do this poo poo.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RIP Wildstar, I'm honestly surprised ncsoft hasn't pulled the plug entirely yet.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cao Ni Ma posted:

RIP Wildstar, I'm honestly surprised ncsoft hasn't pulled the plug entirely yet.

Especially when they seem to burning GW2 to the ground, I figured they'd want to save as much money as possible.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

sunk cost fallacy

in somewhat seriousness, it's probably "cheap" to keep the game in maintenance mode and probably makes enough to cover the overhead and then some if they're not developing huge swaths of content.

It's also amusing to see that gw2 started down the "hardcore" path for the expansion, compared to release and now its biting them in the rear end.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Especially when they seem to burning GW2 to the ground
Oh? I played GW2 a little at launch but everyone else I know dropped it quickly and I got bored quick solo. What have they screwed up now?

Lyer posted:

sunk cost fallacy

in somewhat seriousness, it's probably "cheap" to keep the game in maintenance mode and probably makes enough to cover the overhead and then some if they're not developing huge swaths of content.

It's also amusing to see that gw2 started down the "hardcore" path for the expansion, compared to release and now its biting them in the rear end.
Yeah, pretty much. There's a lot of ongoing costs to running an MMO, but the biggest are the development and the server hardware and both of those are in the past.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Asimo posted:

Oh? I played GW2 a little at launch but everyone else I know dropped it quickly and I got bored quick solo. What have they screwed up now?

long and short is they wanted to add a sense of "progression" to the new expac and to no one's surprise it was really grindy, caused a lot of burnout and quitting. They also added raids and while that is not a bad thing in of itself, they refused to make a "casual friendly" version and locked a continuation of a gw1 storyline behind it. Combine that with the different development teams and times, if you don't raid or pvp you will not have any new significant content until July at the earliest (10 months since release).

Not a big deal compared to other mmo's, but when your core consumer are "casuals", there's going to be some problems. Perfect storm of really dumb ideas coming to fruition at once basically.

E: Also the game director just left the company lol, Cyster there's your chance!

E2: VVVV I'd wager he wasn't forced out, but didn't want to be around to clean up the mess.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 12, 2016

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
released an unfinished expansion at full price so to pad it out they added massive grind, they're doing a de-grind patch next month.

the reception of the expansion was bad enough that the game director had to leave to "spend time with my family"

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lyer posted:

long and short is they wanted to add a sense of "progression" to the new expac and to no one's surprise it was really grindy, caused a lot of burnout and quitting. They also added raids and while that is not a bad thing in of itself, they refused to make a "casual friendly" version and locked a continuation of a gw1 storyline behind it. Combine that with the different development teams and times, if you don't raid or pvp you will not have any new significant content until July at the earliest (10 months since release).

Not a big deal compared to other mmo's, but when your core consumer are "casuals", there's going to be some problems. Perfect storm of really dumb ideas coming to fruition at once basically.
:lol:

Yeah, wasn't the whole idea of GW2 getting rid of itemization treadmills, raids, removing the difficulties of grouping, and all that? I saw some of this being toned way back even early on, and I guess they hadn't really stopped. It's amazing and depressing that the only genuinely super casual MMOs around are like Cryptic's lovely games.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
PvP and WvW are also in a huge stage of neglect, I'm not sure if its improved any since my PC blew up, but last time I tried wub it was pretty much a ghost town.

Note I'm not using the term casual as a bad thing, lord knows I prefer a lazy MMO like GW2 but, GW2 was an MMO that had the casual crowd eating out of the palm of their hand, why throw that away to cater to 1% type spergs especially when your company already tried that with an entire game and it failed miserably.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MMO devs have this weird fascination with the hardcore crowd, my general assumption as to why being that they grew up on dogshit like EQ and thus hold anything that harkens back to those days with a certain reverence. They ~casualify~ because the market demands it nowadays, but will ultimately try to bring their nostalgia to bear against the players whenever they get a chance to. And it's a big fuckup every single time.

Hell, Blizzard's done it twice since WotLK made it clear what path MMOs would have to follow after its launch. First with Cata and punching casual folks hard in the dick, then again with WoD and its attempts to make raiding the only activity to do.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 12, 2016

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Well to be fair, difficult content does have its place, it's just really stupid when its the only avenue. I mean devs have already did most of the hard work, just adjust stats so joe random can actually see poo poo.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Yeah, there's really no reason to not have content just have normal mode for most people and then a hard mode for the ones who for some reason actually like the game punching them in the dick repeatedly. Turn the numbers up to 11, maybe add an extra damage patch to not stand in or thing to dodge or whatever to each fight if you're feeling ambitious. Give out the same gear the normal mode drops just with a higher drop rate on the really good stuff or otherwise more reward rather than outright better gear.

Also, obligatory point and laugh at NCSoft from the former CoH player.

General Maximus fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 12, 2016

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Oh Snapple! posted:

MMO devs have this weird fascination with the hardcore crowd, my general assumption as to why being that they grew up on dogshit like EQ and thus hold anything that harkens back to those days with a certain reverence. They ~casualify~ because the market demands it nowadays, but will ultimately try to bring their nostalgia to bear against the players whenever they get a chance to. And it's a big fuckup every single time.

Hell, Blizzard's done it twice since WotLK made it clear what path MMOs would have to follow after its launch. First with Cata and punching casual folks hard in the dick, then again with WoD and its attempts to make raiding the only activity to do.

The problem is the hardcore players (see timetravel) got jobs designing poo poo. They make their dream ULTRA HARDCORE encounter where everyone (at least 40 players) has to be psychically linked together to succeed and then get mad when it fails abysmally because "loving casuals!!!"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

quote:

Also, obligatory point and laugh at NCSoft from the former CoH player.

At least in this case NCSoft will be shutting down a lovely MMO instead of my all-time favorite MMO :smith:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

IMO MMOs live and die by the state of their launch

if your launch is poo poo and things are broken, like....if you tell people a vital quest is broken so they should reroll, your game is dead

going F2P won't fix it

IMO you get one chance at a launch and it has to be solid

It's a hell of a turnaround from the early 2000s, when things would be amazingly busted for a month or more, above and beyond the initial login rush. Like Anarchy Online, which has been running since 2001 despite launching as this puddle of sewage.

Oh Snapple! posted:

MMO devs have this weird fascination with the hardcore crowd, my general assumption as to why being that they grew up on dogshit like EQ and thus hold anything that harkens back to those days with a certain reverence.

Some of it's because hardcore players got hired and climbed the ladder to devhood-- Gozer at Cryptic, who shat things up so badly the CEO came down and gave him a talking to... and who turned around and actually made things worse after that, or Timetravel like Anoia mentioned. A lot of it's because way back when, when 100,000 accounts was an amazing feat and people seriously debated if there was room for more than two or three MMOs, or if they'd kill each other by poaching players, the grind and the hardcores were considered vital to a game's survival. The longer a character spent on progression, the more money they'd pay in sub fees, and the raiding game added a layer of desirable exclusivity on top. If people actually completed every challenge in the game, what was there to keep them from realizing that they'd won, and canceling their subs?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Anoia posted:

The problem is the hardcore players (see timetravel) got jobs designing poo poo. They make their dream ULTRA HARDCORE encounter where everyone (at least 40 players) has to be psychically linked together to succeed and then get mad when it fails abysmally because "loving casuals!!!"

ANYONE could have told them that it wasn't going to work but the entire management team was so up their own asses that they honestly thought that if they built it, they would come.

A playerbase fractured by game mode, fractured by servers, fractured by factions, fractured by a horrible atunement system was supposed to get 40 people to run a raid. A raid that would dynamically change difficulty every week because the sperglord developer couldn't bare see his masterpiece be beaten in a way he wasn't anticipating or where they tuned a boss to be literally unbeatable so that no one could progress passed him.

Did timetravel meltdown when he heard they were transitioning away from raids? I'm half guessing he turned down an opportunity to work on the dungeons team because they weren't hardcore enough.+

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Did timetravel meltdown when he heard they were transitioning away from raids? I'm half guessing he turned down an opportunity to work on the dungeons team because they weren't hardcore enough.+

A screenshot of him apologizing for acting like an rear end on Reddit was posted a while back after he got called out for it. Maybe it had dawned on him that he was part of the game's problem? Who knows, but it seemed like he had eaten some humble pie for one reason or another. it makes me curious what the backstory on him getting shitcanned is since it seemed to happen separately from the layoff.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I think people miss that WoW added it's layers of complexity over several years. Then new devs think you've got to have talents, gear itemization, gems, glyphs and whatever the gently caress they added after that all at launch. Wildstar was so packed with poo poo that I put it down, before I even hit level cap. They just shoved it in your face from 10 different directions. I'm surprised they didn't interrupt the crafting tutorial with a jumping puzzle challenge. Do a challenge! Do achievements! Decorate your house! Do your profession! Craft! Now worry about gear, and your vanity slots! Let me tell you about DYES! Oh you're level 12!? Welcome to our big, frustrating to navigate, capital city! Yes! EVERYONE here has a quest for you! Right now! I have ADD, and just trying to level in Wildstar was exhausting. There was no settling into that game. It was a bunch of shiny sideshow that never let you just settle into the gameplay. Bear rear end quests drill your bread and butter into your head. They serve a purpose.

WoW: You stumble upon a fishing trainer next to a pond. Oh, huh. You can fish in this game. You should check that out later, or when you hit level cap. Whatever.

Wildstar: Oh you were figuring out how to play your class!? Let us interrupt you so you can fish up a 60 ton, nuclear powered, robot whale from the future! There's so many particle effects, your eyes will poo poo blood! The best part is it's totally inconsequential, but we made a thing, so you're gonna loving look at it!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on why Wildstar sucks. I was in on day 1, and I think my highest character was level 30 when I quit. It was just so much flashy, pointless distraction, when you really should have been doing your bear rear end homework.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
Honestly if all the people they've been laying off are the PvP/Raid/Have You Seen Warplot designers then it wouldn't be the worst decision they've made.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I assumed it was just the people working on the Chinese version but nothing specific was mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

In the case of GW2 (no subscription so money comes from base game + cash shop), it could be the devs thought that the whales were predominately from the "hardcore" crowd. For a non-subscription game it may make sense to alienate a population of people if it means your higher-paying but lower-numbered base is happy.

But for a subscription MMO it's a different balance since you're getting your money from people continuing to play the game so it's best to get a wider playerbase.

I wonder if there's any good data on this. It's probably all proprietary though.

• Locked thread