Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Post 9-11 User posted:

The Tactical Squad has been reboxed at least five times, right? That's counting the Combat Squad horse poo poo they shoveled out years ago. Do they even have an accountant? Do they realize how much money it costs to have graphic designers photograph the minis, edit the box, proofread it in multiple languages, and print them out? The gently caress is wrong with them, release a new kit instead of putting lipstick on an old turd not-as-good-as-the-new-stuff.

Hah, someone at my gaming group was dubbed, "Angry Fred" because he would hurl his casualties into his army box. This was amusing when they were primer black with red oil paint accents, kinda horrifying when I painted an entire Imperial Fists army for him. It even won the best painted army at a local tourne- *ducks under an airbourne metal Dread

Given the amount of time I've put into my Ultras, even if I sold them I'd be prepared to throw down over their damaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Two questions for you guys. First, how are Plague Marines. They look pretty tough, but having never faced nor fielded the I am not sure if they are good nor not.

The second question is regarding skeletons. What is my best option for getting 28mm plastic skeletons that are scale compatible with 40k stuff?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Nurgle stuff is pretty solid in general for Chaos Marines. That extra pip of toughness the Mark gives you is incredibly handy on your Marines, and helps your characters not get insta-gibbed by anything below Strength 10. Last I remember, Bikers with the Mark of Nurgle were among your top tier of units, along with Plague Marines.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Two questions for you guys. First, how are Plague Marines. They look pretty tough, but having never faced nor fielded the I am not sure if they are good nor not.

Not much experience with them but just watching bat reps and such a Nurgle themed army would be my choice when get around to painting some Chaos. Plague Marines being T 5 and having FNP is pretty tight. Lower initiative isn't that bad when you consider how tough they are and anything deadly enough to ruin them in close combat was likely to crush them even if they were at normal Marine initiative. Also I think the champion has a plague knife stock which is nice, so they can actually hurt stuff back in close combat.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The first time that I faced Nurgle Marines since coming back to the game, my opponent was running a bike lord attached to a bike squad. On his first turn, he drove them all straight down the middle of the board in an attempt to get to my back lines, gambling that he would survive the trip through difficult terrain. I won't lie, my relief was palpable when half his unit of T6 12" move hellfuckers died on the first turn.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I really dig your Chaos stuff man, and this is loving cool. For skeletons, there's these guys:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vampire-Counts-Skeleton-Warriors
Mantic has skeletons too, but they're wearing a lot more cloth/armor:
http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/undead/product/undead-skeleton-regiment-20-figures.html
Plague Marines have been a pretty excellent unit since pretty much forever, you're definitely in the right by taking them.

I had a battle last night with my Blood Axes against a Khorne warband. It was a good time.

Angron was a Chaos Terminator Lord with MoK and the axe of Get hosed. I like the guy in the back who's falling over.

He had Berserkers, Khorne bikers, and fleshhounds all geared up to assault my grots for some reason. They died as Grots typically do.

My Warboss and his 'ardboyz, moments before getting wiped by the Bloodthirster and Bloodcrushers.

Then Ol' Squiggly and Grotsnik's Meganobz chewed up the Bloodthirster, Angron, and his Terminators in one go.

His cultists spent three turns to get the 18" to the summoning circle.

Two of my trukks got wrecked, both boyz squads got pinned, and then they got charged.

These boyz did pretty good, held out for the rest of the game and eventually killed the dogs.

These boyz did none of those things.

These grots got charged by Bloodletters, killed some on overwatch, then over two rounds killed all the Bloodletters. gently caress yeah, grot artillery.

My Orky dream team stomps their way through everything on the table.

This culminates in them wiping out the cultists on the summoning circle, which scores me two victory points as I have two cards pointed to that objective. The end score was 8-8, fitting for Khorne and a hard fought draw. Definitely a good time!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pawl posted:

Starting up a Tau army because I am a dumb stupid baby with too much money. What overpriced garbage should I throw away my money on first?

You can't go wrong with crisis suits, especially if you happen to get them for cheap as they're so prolific they're almost always found second-hand online or in stores. A devilfish with breachers and a guardian drone at the very least draws a lot of fire, so two of those might go well for a troop choice unless you're playing Farsight. Beyond that, broadsides are dope and almost always survive until the end of each game due to their great armor and range. At least one riptide tends to be a good idea too, since it can survive a lot of hits and give them back handily (most of the time they're wounded by failing Nova reactors and Gets Hot rolls). If you've way more money than sense, a stormsurge can have a lot of utility, but have fun actually building and painting one.

Edit: Oh, and if it wasn't readily apparent, even if you've got a lot of money and unless you're very heavily into building stuff yourself from scratch, buy second-hand models. You can get stuff for almost half the price out of the box, sometimes less, and if you're not that heavily into painting or posing models and just want to play that's the way to get playing quick. Worst case scenario if you do end up wanting to make stuff yourself you can always strip the models of paint and repose them if you're mindful enough.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 11, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Thanks man. Those GW skellies should work for my idea. I plan on making some Chaos Marines that have holes in their armor and missing pieces of armor revealing bones wreathed in flame. Kind of like the Legion of the Damned, but actually executed like the fluff, so I plan on chopping up a lot of bone. I also am not sure if I want to go with normal flame or green/blue tinted ethereal flames.

Btw I love the picture of the Squiggoth standing on the building.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Warhammer 40K 80's movie pitch:

Larry and Frank were just two average Progena in the Schola Progenium...
++(Larry in training Commissar robes keeps shooting at a cowardly Guardsman on his knees and keeps missing)
Well...below average Progena...
Frank: Guardsmen! To me!
++(Frank leads the charge and trips over his overcoat)
But when the time came to graduate...
Frank: What are we going to do? We can't make it out there in the real universe!
The Emperor found a way...
Lexmechanic Nerdos: It says here you never specified what sex you were when you arrived at the Schola...
Frank: Which means...
Larry: It means we just found our ticket out of here!
Drill Abbess: We have two new Acolytes joining us today, Sisters...
Frank: This is crazy! They're not going to think we're Battle-Sisters!
Larry: All we have to do is swallow our pride, tuck our lances, and wait to be put in a library or a hospital somewhere...
Drill Abbess: Such...strapping young women...you'll be perfect for the Order of the Argent Shroud
Larry: See? A shroud. Shrouds are peaceful.
++(Drill Abbess whipping Frank)
Frank: I'm just going to go get shot right now, at least the Emperor will understand!
Larry: Wait, hold on...
++(Adeptus Sororitas locker room, Acolytes showering and being playful)
Larry: Whoa...
Coming this summer
Sister Alicia: Could you unhook my armor?
Frank: S-sure...
See what happens when the laziest of Mankind
Sister Catarine: I love the Emperor...
Larry: Oh, me too.
Sister Catarine: No, I mean I really really love the Emperor...
Joins the noblest ranks of Womankind
++(Drill Abbess spraying Larry with a high-powered hose)
Drill Abbess: They're up to something...
Drill Abbot: If we executed every Progena who came through here, there'd be no one to defend the Imperium.
Drill Abbess: I'm going to teach them a lesson so devious that it will follow their souls into the Warp.
++(Frank and Larry in Battle-Sisters armor screaming frantically while running into a warzone)
Martyrs and Gartyrs
July 41,986

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

This post. This post is a good post.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
For some reason I am now thinking of Paulie Shore in a Commissar outfit. What have you done.

The other thing that popped into my head while reading that is an Eldar farseer and a Wraithlord making a wraithbone vase on a spinning wheel.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

jadebullet posted:

Thanks man. Those GW skellies should work for my idea. I plan on making some Chaos Marines that have holes in their armor and missing pieces of armor revealing bones wreathed in flame. Kind of like the Legion of the Damned, but actually executed like the fluff, so I plan on chopping up a lot of bone. I also am not sure if I want to go with normal flame or green/blue tinted ethereal flames.

Btw I love the picture of the Squiggoth standing on the building.

If you're going to be cutting up the skellies for conversions I'd go with cheaper stuff like Mantic or the Wargames Factory ones. The GW ones are hella expensive for conversion bits.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finished my first Aberrant model:

This army is going to take a while. There are so many damned details on all these. It'll be months before I have the box finished with the time I have to paint. Still worth it.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"

PierreTheMime posted:

Finished my first Aberrant model:

This army is going to take a while. There are so many damned details on all these. It'll be months before I have the box finished with the time I have to paint. Still worth it.

Looks fantastic, and it's good to see another Hive Kraken painter. I have been mulling over how I wanted to go about this since all pictures so far have been Leviathan.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I may as well ask this here: why are there suddenly a ton of new Warhammer video games, like in this last few months you have Warhammer Left 4 Dead, Warhammer early access Planetside, Warhammer Total War, Warhammer space RTS, and also a ton of smaller strategy games. There was that period of a few years where the only Warhammer games I can remember were Space Marine, the Retribution expansion for DoW2 and Bloodbowl 2 and now there's like twenty studios working on these games? Wtf

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I may as well ask this here: why are there suddenly a ton of new Warhammer video games, like in this last few months you have Warhammer Left 4 Dead, Warhammer early access Planetside, Warhammer Total War, Warhammer space RTS, and also a ton of smaller strategy games. There was that period of a few years where the only Warhammer games I can remember were Space Marine, the Retribution expansion for DoW2 and Bloodbowl 2 and now there's like twenty studios working on these games? Wtf

Someone on GW HQ finally remembered there were these strange things called video games that they could use for advertising.
Then they mostly sold the license to smaller studios that usually do mobile for cheap.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

Someone on GW HQ finally remembered there were these strange things called video games that they could use for advertising.
Then they mostly sold the license to smaller studios that usually do mobile for cheap.

I actually kind of liked the Freeblade game. :shobon:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Remember that stupid plants versus zombies 40k game? Jesus what a terrible idea.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Because GW is a terrible company that has consistently failed to take advantage of the tremendous money making power of their IP since the days Blizzard made Starcraft and we have forever been cursed with half-assed attempts ever since that range from a pretty drat good try(DoW) to WTF(Regicide).

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

There's a quote floating around somewhere, where GW states that they don't get significant enough returns on models from the hype their video games get, so therefore it's not worth investing in more video game licenses. Whoever said that quote either quit the company to go spend time with his grandkids or had the worst meeting with his boss he's ever had.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Rumor was that Blizzard was supposed to make SC a 40k game, but the rights contract fell through.

Solid play on GWs part.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"
My understanding was that THQ used to have exclusive rights to the IP. When they went under the rights reverted back to GW, who then whored the thing out to anyone who would ask.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Given the direction Starcraft 2 has gone story-wise I think GW dodged a bullet from 15 years in the future.

The DoW 2 Last Stand Necron Overlord is fun and hilariously good, it's bizarre that they released him 5 years after the fact but I am not going to complain. I still want a DE Succubus and another map.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Necron Overlord is a great character, but gently caress me do the randos in matchmaking have no idea how to play them.

Add that with the queues being flooded by them and there's only every 1 in 5 games that we get past the 10th wave.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Necron Overlord is a great character, but gently caress me do the randos in matchmaking have no idea how to play them.

Add that with the queues being flooded by them and there's only every 1 in 5 games that we get past the 10th wave.

Add Vhalyar on steam and we'll suffer the third pubbie together.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'm http://steamcommunity.com/id/yardmeat on Steam for a -1 pub.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Totally up for some Goon-op sometime. Tonight though I'm sticking my nose to the grindstone and commiting to an all night painting marathon. Mostly to get my Guild Ball duders ready for a tourney tomorrow, but gonna work on my long neglected AdMech while I have access to a working airbrush and strip my Knight of her cack-handed paintjob.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

PierreTheMime posted:

I actually kind of liked the Freeblade game. :shobon:

Deathwatch was great.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Add me to the goonpile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993207095/

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Why are you guys spoilering your links?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No idea. That other guy did it so I did too. That was the entirety of my reasoning.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Into the pile http://steamcommunity.com/id/w3llshit/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

panascope posted:

Remember that stupid plants versus zombies 40k game? Jesus what a terrible idea.

Funny enough the developer of that pretty much tanked afterwards. They still apparently exist but are so downsized that it's probably just one or two guys holding onto the company license and such.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
DoW II is a well-polished and good game
(this is me: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006291246/ )

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Fyrbrand, did you ever find a buyer for your lovely Salamanders? I'm starting to get dumb ideas.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
In a little over a week I'm going to be in Boston visiting some friends and family and looking for places to move. If any goons want to grab a beer or play a game feel free to PM me. Bulbasaur can confirm I'm not a smelly neck beard (mostly).

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Fyrbrand, did you ever find a buyer for your lovely Salamanders? I'm starting to get dumb ideas.

I wanted to, but it wouldn't work for me at this time. He sent me a spreadsheet, and trust me, your ideas are anything but dumb.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I enjoyed this thoroughly

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

A Real Horse posted:

I wanted to, but it wouldn't work for me at this time. He sent me a spreadsheet, and trust me, your ideas are anything but dumb.

This, though I do have a couple other interested parties I need to hear back from. Shoot me a PM though, you never know.

Edit: just noticed you don't have platinum. You can email me at william.mckibbin@gmail.com.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'm http://steamcommunity.com/id/Primigenia89/ if people are playing TLS.

• Locked thread