Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess it has collectors value as a bad card?

Get your Steamflogger Bosses before they're $20!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess it has collectors value as a bad card?

That's the reason Wood Elemental is like 3 bucks instead of 3 cents.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

suicidesteve posted:

Get your Steamflogger Bosses before they're $20!

It's a hill giant and has upside if you get multiples, it's not constructed playable but it's not bad the way Wood Elemental is bad.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

so how competitive is the general field at a GP?

I may go to the NY (lol, it's in NJ) one, and I totally do not expect to do better than 50/50 but I assume there are at least interesting side events for the people who scrub out on day one right?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

They're like MTG conventions. If you play in the main event you'll get a mix of grinders and low level pros that play aggressive and rules lawyer (had a few fun stories from GP Detroit) and average chill people playing to have a good time.
And there should be a ton of side events of various types - EV may differ.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 12, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Telex posted:

so how competitive is the general field at a GP?

I may go to the NY (lol, it's in NJ) one, and I totally do not expect to do better than 50/50 but I assume there are at least interesting side events for the people who scrub out on day one right?

Wait there's a NJ GP?
Is it Legacy because if it's Legacy I won't be able to pariticipate.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Count Bleck posted:

Wait there's a NJ GP?

Columbus is the legacy gp this year. Have fun with PES if you want to go

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

Wait there's a NJ GP?

http://www.gpny2016.com/

Standard, and it's at the Meadowlands so I dunno how the gently caress i'm gonna get there from Brooklyn but hey.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Snacksmaniac posted:

They're like MTG conventions. If you play in the main event you'll get a mix of grinders and low level pros that play aggressive and rules lawyer (had a few fun stories from GP Detroit) and average chill people playing to have a good time.
And there should be a ton of side events of various types - EV may differ.

Don't mention "fun stories" and not tell them. :colbert:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I was too on-edge the whole weekend to remember the details and none of them happened to me, just people in our group.
One guy was harassed for playing slow: the match finished with 35 minutes in the round.
Another one of group members played a guy who would attack with all his guys and just aggressively show "take 20, go" "I'm counting" "GO."
The best story went something like this: My friend plays Thought-Knot Seer and then goes to combat, tapping everyone.
"JUDGE"
"Oh sorry I just played him."
"JUDGE"
Judge runs over, asks what happened.
"He attacked with all his guys but he just played TKS."
"Then what happened?"
"He untapped it."
"Then what happened."
"Nothing."
Then, there was a long pause as the judge was dumbfounded with the situation.
"I want you to keep playing."
This was also against a low level pro player who ended up losing that round and was extremely mad. The names are withheld to protect the irritating.

I lucked out and had fairly laid back opponents. Only had two judge calls I think. One was for an oracle text and another was the whole Eldrazi Obligator thing. Floor judge was wrong. I won my appeal :bustem:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friends wanted me to play the team sealed side event in DC. all the wannabe pros and grinders were in there practicing for the main event so it was not a good time.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

A GP for standard in a post Rhino world? Sounds like a good time.

I'll figure out if I'm going or not.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

What were they charging for DC main event?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Count Bleck posted:

A GP for standard in a post Rhino world? Sounds like a good time.

I'll figure out if I'm going or not.
New card in SoI: Siege Wolf.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

I was too on-edge the whole weekend to remember the details and none of them happened to me, just people in our group.
One guy was harassed for playing slow: the match finished with 35 minutes in the round.
Another one of group members played a guy who would attack with all his guys and just aggressively show "take 20, go" "I'm counting" "GO."
The best story went something like this: My friend plays Thought-Knot Seer and then goes to combat, tapping everyone.
"JUDGE"
"Oh sorry I just played him."
"JUDGE"
Judge runs over, asks what happened.
"He attacked with all his guys but he just played TKS."
"Then what happened?"
"He untapped it."
"Then what happened."
"Nothing."
Then, there was a long pause as the judge was dumbfounded with the situation.
"I want you to keep playing."
This was also against a low level pro player who ended up losing that round and was extremely mad. The names are withheld to protect the irritating.

I lucked out and had fairly laid back opponents. Only had two judge calls I think. One was for an oracle text and another was the whole Eldrazi Obligator thing. Floor judge was wrong. I won my appeal :bustem:

not a gp story but i tried playing at this local shop here in austin, lost my match, and was berated for "playing slow". we finished with 24 minutes left and both times in between games the dude took like 8 minutes to sideboard. he was later dq'd for sneaking in a scalding tarn in his deck (this was standard)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Snacksmaniac posted:

What were they charging for DC main event?

$75 :lol: I just got the same experience paying $20 and if you really wanted to, could trade for the mat and promo tomorrow cheaply.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

minoru suzuki posted:

he was later dq'd for sneaking in a scalding tarn in his deck (this was standard)

What in the world?

Reminds me of the first competitive event I head judged. While going over lists I saw one player had registered three Jace, the Mind Sculptors. Turns out he just regged the wrong emo wizard, but I was worried I was going to have to turn them into lands.

Chill la Chill posted:

$75 :lol: I just got the same experience paying $20 and if you really wanted to, could trade for the mat and promo tomorrow cheaply.
A person for team sealed?
Detroit was rough at $65 for constructed. The VIP package sold out and it was the saddest little VIP area.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 12, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yes. Apparently constructed GPs are up to $60 each now too lol. I mean it's fine economically since they're getting huge numbers, but it's still funny.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gotta say that it was extremely disappointing having Hareruya there but not selling anime deck boxes and playmats. Like wtf, was hoping to get another super kawaii play mat

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Those guys bought most my collection and now I can buy a new car. New favorite dealer ever.
Go buy some of my old cards!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
For what it's worth, Maro says the reason Avacyn, the Purifier is mono-red on the flipside is basically because "it looks cool" and she's still Red/White.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 12, 2016

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Has there been any cringe/inappropriate tokens/playmats on stream lately? Seems like they should be nipping that sort of thing before it goes on the air, but then wotc.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Thisuck posted:

Has there been any cringe/inappropriate tokens/playmats on stream lately? Seems like they should be nipping that sort of thing before it goes on the air, but then wotc.

Pretty sure they're not allowed to use playmats in the feature match area.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Pretty sure they're not allowed to use playmats in the feature match area.

Oh right, totally forgot about those table sized playmats. Anyone seen some cringy ones lately? The LGS I go to for FNM is consists of a lot more older people, haven't seen anything too bad, although there's a print of Liliana x Chandra on the wall, but it's tiny and out of the way. The place I go to on the weekends have a few terrible ones, mostly the anime and brony kind, nothing explicit at least.

Edit: FNM is not FML

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Thisuck posted:

Oh right, totally forgot about those table sized playmats. Anyone seen some cringy ones lately? The LGS I go to for FNM is consists of a lot more older people, haven't seen anything too bad, although there's a print of Liliana x Chandra on the wall, but it's tiny and out of the way. The place I go to on the weekends have a few terrible ones, mostly the anime and brony kind, nothing explicit at least.

Most people around here just use the WotC art ones along with a couple customs of regular poo poo.

I honestly think mine is the weirdest, it's this one.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Thisuck posted:

I mean going to an LGS for FML seems appropriate too.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

My friend has a Jace x Sorin playmat that I've seen him use exactly once in 2 years.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

My friend has a Jace x Sorin playmat that I've seen him use exactly once in 2 years.

This should be the playmat everyone uses when playing vs terrible ones.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Thisuck posted:

This should be the playmat everyone uses when playing vs terrible ones.

He also has one with the JtMS art on it except it has the :frogout: face instead of Jace.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I love my Big Al Drazi's mat. Even though the printing process made it stinky as hell, anyone else get that from Inked?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Night Danger Moose posted:

I love my Big Al Drazi's mat. Even though the printing process made it stinky as hell, anyone else get that from Inked?

It's the rubber they use I think, it's pretty terrible, yeah.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
God this standard is painful- if its not fetches slowing play down its all the lifegain tacked on to useless poo poo. 4-round FNM and each round has gone a full hour because people are locked in lifegaining stalemates.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Balon posted:

God this standard is painful- if its not fetches slowing play down its all the lifegain tacked on to useless poo poo. 4-round FNM and each round has gone a full hour because people are locked in lifegaining stalemates.

Turns out adding a bunch of life gain to everything and tacking on a point of toughness that every creature doesn't actually need turns everything into a stalemate and is actually really boring!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Snacksmaniac posted:

Those guys bought most my collection and now I can buy a new car. New favorite dealer ever.
Go buy some of my old cards!

They offered me 220 cash on my beat to hell volcs. If I actually wanted to cash out atm holy poo poo.

In DC news I got some fun poo poo for my lands deck today

The escape room at GP DC is Terese Neilson's line.

e; Also I have a post to make at some point about fakes. Long story short is I found some today that, had I not been told, would have thought were 100% real. It finally happened.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Balon posted:

I played GB Elfball tonight. No fetches, no shuffle effects. 4-0/8-0 with multiple turn 4-5 wins. It was beautiful. My longest round was 35 minutes. :allears:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

I honestly think mine is the weirdest, it's this one.

Why have a subtle Pokemon playmat when you're playing Wizard Poker already?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

I played GB Elfball tonight. No fetches, no shuffle effects. 4-0/8-0 with multiple turn 4-5 wins. It was beautiful. My longest round was 35 minutes. :allears:
I am really interested in this decklist now.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

suicidesteve posted:

He also has one with the JtMS art on it except it has the :frogout: face instead of Jace.

Is this still available

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

I played Mono Blue Eldrazi, 4-0 with all my matches going pretty quickly, but it's the fact I have to wait for the FULL HOUR for each round before moving to the next. There's no reason a 4-round FNM should take 4.5 hours!

e: There were more 1-1 draws tonight than 3-game rounds among all matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Why have a subtle Pokemon playmat when you're playing Wizard Poker already?

Because it's a very nice playmat.

• Locked thread