Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, I'm STILL waiting for a sequel to Pariah, dammit! Low-key 40k was surprisingly satisfying.

I'm still waiting for them to reprint Ravenor... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I'm still waiting for [almost everything except what they're actually releasing].

Pariah sequel, Master of Mankind, Talon of Horus sequel, a Horus Heresy novel involving some kind of progress in the overall arc* instead of random Salamanders being mopey.

* reminder that Galaxy in Flames involves Horus telling Aximand that right after Istvaan 5 they're going to Terra .

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, I'm STILL waiting for a sequel to Pariah, dammit! Low-key 40k was surprisingly satisfying.
Don't worry I'm sure it'll be out right after The Warmaster comes out

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

How do you guys watch this? It's loving awful...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Uroboros posted:

Because it's funny? :shrug: I mean it ain't Shakespeare or anything, but it does a good job of poking fun at how ridiculous 40k is, especially considering how seriously they play the ridiculousness.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Uroboros posted:

It's an acquired taste.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Uroboros posted:

Because I'd rather watch something that realizes how silly the 40K universe is than indulge in the completely un-self aware nonsense that Games Workshop thinks makes their franchise dark and super serious.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I feel somewhere between proud papa and out of touch old man, because while I know my Dawn of Awesome cartoons helped inspire this dude to make all this stuff, I also don't really get it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SRM posted:

I feel somewhere between proud papa and out of touch old man, because while I know my Dawn of Awesome cartoons helped inspire this dude to make all this stuff, I also don't really get it.

You could try watching it from the start. (I don't mean that to sound snarky, but it will make more sense if you watch from the beginning.)

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 11, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Uroboros posted:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jokes on you guys, that poo poo is hilarious :colbert:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I liked the first few but ya it's bad

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
It's the kind of series where if you've followed along from the start and gel well with the guy's humor it's great, and if not it loses you easily. I mean, even as a guy who enjoys it, 22's a crap introduction.

The earlier ones or the recent ones about the setting's origins would be good starter picks in my book.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The basic rundown us that emps has thrown out the institutions of the imperium and disbanded the inquisition and is currently bored and has the custodes get him up to speed on current events

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Just at the bookstore, and I saw that they're reprinting the Horus Heresy in big, three book omnibuses.

Still aren't numbering the loving spines though.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I have absolutely no idea where else to post this, as the thread in games is long dead, but since you guys seem to be the only ones that like 40k, I'll link it here. If any of you have DoW2, go download the free Necron Lord DLC for the last stand mode right now, it'll cost you some cash after the 15th.

Totally unrelated to books, but hey, how often do you get free 40k poo poo that's good?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/02/dawn-of-war-ii-necron-overlord-dlc/

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J-Csxmc82c

I don't get it either.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jng2058 posted:

Because it's funny? :shrug: I mean it ain't Shakespeare or anything, but it does a good job of poking fun at how ridiculous 40k is, especially considering how seriously they play the ridiculousness.

I'll add as someone who enjoys the fluff (valuts of Terra and fluff parts of the manual), and could never afford to get into the tabletop stuff, that this is hilarious and thank you for posting the link. It's made a boring rear end office day a lot better. It's rather on the nose.

I have no clue why I love the fluff so much, but I do. Oddly I can't get into the books (well mostly because the audio books are so expensive and not on audible), but I love the overview and history stuff. Any of the books the appeal to that aspect a lot?

Also is HH every likely to reach the climax or will GW never let that happen?

Finally any favorite audio books?

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 12, 2016

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If Emps Had a Text To Speech Device is pretty rad :colbert: but anything involving Lucius The Eternal gets real annoying really fast.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

gfanikf posted:

Finally any favorite audio books?

I recall really digging the audio for Know No Fear.

I also recall really despising the audio for Scars.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I heard some HH audio short, and it was hilarious hearing the guy playing a not-samurai desperately trying not do to a racist accent, and slowly failing over the course of the drama.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp5A0YFQGEc
I love mein job!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AndyElusive posted:

If Emps Had a Text To Speech Device is pretty rad :colbert: but anything involving Lucius The Eternal gets real annoying really fast.

Thankfully he's only had one big scene so far.

I really love how absurd their accents get. I mean, I know most of the voice actors are from Europe (Sweden, I think?), but the crazy dubbing makes things even funnier.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndyElusive posted:

I recall really digging the audio for Know No Fear.

I also recall really despising the audio for Scars.

Thanks! The only one I've heard before was that Commissar one which was rather entertaining.

AndyElusive posted:

If Emps Had a Text To Speech Device is pretty rad :colbert:

Yeah its actually enjoyable and engaging beyond just gags. Truthfully played straight and with minor revisions it would make for a really good direction for 40K to go with. At least it would be better then the current status quo

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its not funny in the slightest

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sorry you can't like fun things

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm looking to read something more about the day-to-day of life for Chaos, especially living in the warp and managing troops and stuff like that if any such thing exists.

Most of the 40k books I've read have to do with the space marines, inquisition or imperial guard. I'm not as into reading about the activities of aliens, although they're okay as antagonists depending.

What should I check out?

Night Lords?

I read half of Storm of Iron and I should probably go finish it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zaphod42 posted:

Night Lords?
A lot of the Night Lords trilogy is about the slaves living below deck and the day to day life onboard the Chaos ships. They're excellent novels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SRM posted:

A lot of the Night Lords trilogy is about the slaves living below deck and the day to day life onboard the Chaos ships. They're excellent novels.

Sold.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Hope you like em! They're among my favorite SF novels, not just Warhams books.

Similarly, there's a short story called Ancient History that Andy Chambers wrote back in the early 2000s. It's about life below deck among the pressganged ship crews of the Imperium. It's another favorite of mine, and the best story in the Dark Imperium anthology.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

SRM posted:

Hope you like em! They're among my favorite SF novels, not just Warhams books.

Similarly, there's a short story called Ancient History that Andy Chambers wrote back in the early 2000s. It's about life below deck among the pressganged ship crews of the Imperium. It's another favorite of mine, and the best story in the Dark Imperium anthology.

Kharn's Kill Khounter or whatever it's called, where he fights the Slaneeshi cultists, is also a fun read. That's actually a decent anthology, and it's cheap on Amazon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Wax Dynasty posted:

Kharn's Kill Khounter or whatever it's called, where he fights the Slaneeshi cultists, is also a fun read. That's actually a decent anthology, and it's cheap on Amazon.
It's starting to remind me of the single issue of Inferno! that I got free one time.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
poo poo, one of the Horus Hersey writers had remeberancers who were basically comic book creators, and I'll always love that, no matter how stupid it was on the surface. :allears:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm looking to read something more about the day-to-day of life for Chaos, especially living in the warp and managing troops and stuff like that if any such thing exists.

Most of the 40k books I've read have to do with the space marines, inquisition or imperial guard. I'm not as into reading about the activities of aliens, although they're okay as antagonists depending.

What should I check out?

Night Lords?

Eye of Terror is cool and good all should read. Has a slice of life rogue trader portion on warps edges

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Zaphod42 posted:

What should I check out?

Night Lords?

Daemon World is all about tribal conflict on a planet in the Eye of Terror, and owns

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Wax Dynasty posted:

Wrath of Kharn. The two stories are also in the Let the Galaxy Burn anthology

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Daemon World is all about tribal conflict on a planet in the Eye of Terror, and owns

Now this is exactly what I was looking for.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Klaus88 posted:

poo poo, one of the Horus Hersey writers had remeberancers who were basically comic book creators, and I'll always love that, no matter how stupid it was on the surface. :allears:

Was it sequentialist? i remember reading that in that god awful fear to thread book.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Waroduce posted:

Eye of Terror is cool and good all should read. Has a slice of life rogue trader portion on warps edges

I really should've picked that book up on an auction when I had a chance because the description of it sounded really interesting and I've started to get an urge to read older BL fiction since the new stuff has zero appeal for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

I really should've picked that book up on an auction when I had a chance because the description of it sounded really interesting and I've started to get an urge to read older BL fiction since the new stuff has zero appeal for me.

There's new stuff? :v: