Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Scatterfold posted:

Oh blimey there's a few. Off the top of my head there's:

• ladder and diode ladder, as mentioned
  • state variable filters or multimode filters to switch between low, high, band pass.
  • low pass gates (both frequency and amplitude are affected simultaneously)
  • OTA and SSM2040 filters (Prophet 5 etc) which were basically low pass but used OTA gain cells for extra grit and depth.
  • Fixed filters [they're basically just EQs, aren't they?]

And then various 'wrong' filters, like the one from the EDP Wasp which is now in the Doepfer module, which hosed up digital inverters in an anlogue circuit. Likewise that Oberheim copy, but that's more another flavour of low-pass...

Some of those are interchangeable/combinable right? Like could could have a fixed filter that was a ladder circuit?

But sounds like the easy answer I was hoping for isn't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
So I grabbed a cheap MS-20 mini off of Craigslist last week, been having a blast with it. Yesterday I picked up an SQ-1, and maybe I'm not doing something right, or maybe the thing's busted, but when the speed knob is turned past about the halfway point, it stops triggering the MS-20.

I have everything cabled correctly, I've played with the ADSR settings to see if that was the problem, everything's fine there. Is this its intended behavior?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hey someone buy my Virus. Goon discount available, shitloads of soundbanks and patches included.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I've been playing with the Mother 32 for the past week and I'm still pretty blown away. The VSO sounds incredible, the sequencer is easy to use and incredibly awesome, and the filter is moog. I keep wishing I had more modules though because I keep thinking of things that I would be able to do if I just had X module. I've never had so much fun playing with a synthesizer and I think the sequencer has a lot to do with that.

It has begun, I am now headed down the long painful road of modular poverty.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wish I was rich enough to get poor on modulars :(

FXpansion's DCAM Synth Squad and U-he Bazille scratches the itch just a little bit by allowing all sorts of crazy routing but I need more robot farts in my life.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This was pretty neat to watch: https://www.facebook.com/RSMordecaiAndRigby/videos/1685736805016379/

Yeah it's cartoons but it's got synths in it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

net work error posted:

This was pretty neat to watch: https://www.facebook.com/RSMordecaiAndRigby/videos/1685736805016379/

Yeah it's cartoons but it's got synths in it.

Oh my god yes :circlefap:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
poo poo yes, all that and an energy dome

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Mark Mothersbraugh :swoon:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
So my collection of music gear finally got here from the other side of the pond, and upon turning on the an1x for a sound check was met by a horrible crackling from the audio output and a frozen welcome screen. Going to check my power adapters and, failing that, open the thing up and reseat all the connectors.
:ohdear:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

snorch posted:

So my collection of music gear finally got here from the other side of the pond, and upon turning on the an1x for a sound check was met by a horrible crackling from the audio output and a frozen welcome screen. Going to check my power adapters and, failing that, open the thing up and reseat all the connectors.

When I shipped my SV-1 from the USA to Australia, the lower half of the keyboard didn't work at all. I freaked out, opened it up, and saw nothing wrong. Then I closed it again and it worked perfectly. I think it just wanted me to look at its butthole for a while as retribution for the trip.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

snorch posted:

What's up reseat buddy.

I'm about the buy a chip puller so I can reseat all the ICs on the analog board on my EMAX II rack. It currently makes no noise from any output and registers no levels when I feed audio to the sample input.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've been playing with the Mother 32 for the past week and I'm still pretty blown away. The VSO sounds incredible, the sequencer is easy to use and incredibly awesome, and the filter is moog. I keep wishing I had more modules though because I keep thinking of things that I would be able to do if I just had X module. I've never had so much fun playing with a synthesizer and I think the sequencer has a lot to do with that.

It has begun, I am now headed down the long painful road of modular poverty.

Modular is just justified GAS - you can so specifically pinpoint what's missing that it'd be crazy to waste your $2000 spent by not buying that last $200 module to complete it.

I tried a 12-step program to recover from modular addiction, but about a month later I realized I needed to upgrade to a 32-step

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
^ A good cheap joke

An1x is working again. I tried another power adapter which worked fine with it, and when testing the original adapter with a multimeter found that I couldn't get a clean reading due to corrosion on the sleeve. Turns out that spending two months in a salty container might make poo poo oxidize like crazy, who knew :wow:

Now to douse this patch bay in deoxit...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The insidious thing about Eurorack (or any modular/semi-modular gear) is that each module expands the capabilities of the next one you buy. Now that I have a few synths, Moogerfoogers and a Eurorack lunchbox, the next thing I buy will be interoperable with everything else making it an even more attractive purchase.

... except that I just filled up the lunchbox so the next module would require starting a new case so :homebrew: And speaking of lunchbox, here it is. It uses a Mom-32 as a backbone, and a Roland Demora which is used as a utility module since I can't stand its primary delay function.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
yeah, the routing possibilities grow exponentially with the number of patch points, so buying JUST ONE MORE MODULE is often too tempting to resist. :shepspends:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The day I'm diagnosed with a terminal illness is the day I dump my savings account on modular. I'm saving it all for that very day, because if I start before then, I'll die lonely and starving.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
OB-6 ordered. It's gonna be a long 4 weeks.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
So I got a MS-20 Mini a few weeks ago to incorporate into my stoner/doom band and it has been really fantastic. Thick self-triggered drones combined with an Akai MPX8 for spoken word samples that can be manipulated with the filter is how I use it live and it's gone down a treat. I need to set up a rig with a hard case and a reverb pedal and possibly the SQ-1 sampler so I can add some small filter tweaking sequences to liven things up a little. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what road cases can actually house an MS-20 and some extras?

Examples of how I've been using it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCHA-r7Ip9R/ - I didn't notice til afterwards but that beeping in the background was the washing machine I was ignoring while making sweet drones.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCwgTanop29/ - using a Sony TCD5M with a creepy evangelical tape I found through the ESP, into the EXT SIG IN
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCwgirxop3V/ - blending the VCOs (with HPF tuned to a sub tone that my phone doesn't quite pick up) over the creepy tape

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Tayter Swift posted:

... a Roland Demora which is used as a utility module since I can't stand its primary delay function.

I'm thinking about getting Bitrazer as utility for my MS-20. Any opinions on the other Aira effects?

No idea on where to get a decent MS-20 case, though.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Apart from the V-Trig/S-Trig silliness you'll encounter on the MS-20, steer clear of the Scooper if you're just going to pick one up for a utility module, as it doesn't have the attenuators for the top knobs. I don't have experience with the other two modules but I probably would have gone with the distortion one if I had to buy one again.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
It begins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzVFohFTClg

Now I want two. At least. Heil satan

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Since I got a Nexus 6p, I've just been using Synprez FM. The USB C connector means I can plug a MIDI interface and audio interface to the phone. I know you could do this before with an OTG cable, but I never had one.

There's maybe ~50ms of delay though, so it's not perfect, but it gets me my DX7 fix.

I wouldn't balk at the Volca, though, looks like a great performance instrument.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BernieLomax posted:

It begins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzVFohFTClg

Now I want two. At least. Heil satan

Yep getting one.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Tayter Swift posted:

Apart from the V-Trig/S-Trig silliness you'll encounter on the MS-20, steer clear of the Scooper if you're just going to pick one up for a utility module, as it doesn't have the attenuators for the top knobs. I don't have experience with the other two modules but I probably would have gone with the distortion one if I had to buy one again.

I hadn't noticed that on the Scooper, thanks. I'm willing to give up the AD envelope as an S-Trig/V-Trig silliness converter as needed.

Neat.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
Korg just posted on their Instagram that it comes out sometime in April. So close, but so far away :shepspends:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
gently caress it. I'm getting a minilouge next paycheck. No idea what I'll do with it but I'm getting one.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Kieth Emerson died. God drat it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tayter Swift posted:

Kieth Emerson died. God drat it.

Came here to post this.

Will be mainlining Tarkus for a while.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Volca FM is up for pre-order at Sweetwater!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Didn't even notice until seeing it straight on here... pink and blue, and those two sliders :prepop:
Korg writes anymore love letters and they're gonna run outta ink.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
That particular shade of teal is made from a rare isotope of cadmium that can only be found underneath Yamaha headquarters.

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog

Scatterfold posted:

Oh blimey there's a few. Off the top of my head there's:

• ladder and diode ladder, as mentioned
  • state variable filters or multimode filters to switch between low, high, band pass.
  • low pass gates (both frequency and amplitude are affected simultaneously)
  • OTA and SSM2040 filters (Prophet 5 etc) which were basically low pass but used OTA gain cells for extra grit and depth.
  • Fixed filters [they're basically just EQs, aren't they?]

And then various 'wrong' filters, like the one from the EDP Wasp which is now in the Doepfer module, which hosed up digital inverters in an anlogue circuit. Likewise that Oberheim copy, but that's more another flavour of low-pass...

The Wasp filter is really a state variable at heart, it's just that it uses those CMOS inverters as buffers in that system. The low pass gate is a modified Sallen-Key filter (in its "low pass" mode), as is the Steiner-Parker one too I suppose. The Polivoks used a multiple feedback filter if I'm not mistaken. Overall there aren't too many different topologies out there. The differences often lie in what components get chosen (OTAs/VCAs/vactrols as control elements, opamps/FETs as buffers, and so on) which affect overdrive behavior, and how resonance is handled.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Longhouse posted:

The Wasp filter is really a state variable at heart, it's just that it uses those CMOS inverters as buffers in that system. The low pass gate is a modified Sallen-Key filter (in its "low pass" mode), as is the Steiner-Parker one too I suppose. The Polivoks used a multiple feedback filter if I'm not mistaken. Overall there aren't too many different topologies out there. The differences often lie in what components get chosen (OTAs/VCAs/vactrols as control elements, opamps/FETs as buffers, and so on) which affect overdrive behavior, and how resonance is handled.

:ocelot: good knowledge; thanks!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
It's been slightly over a year, but let me remind you how awesome boner jamz came out

https://synthgoons.bandcamp.com/album/boner-jamz

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Sizone posted:

It's been slightly over a year, but let me remind you how awesome boner jamz came out

Private Dick lives!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Dongs lmao

I got myself a metropolis for my birthday. Was waiting on the social entropy engine but the CV/gate expander still isn't out. Awesome jam sequencer. Can't trigger my usual EG through my bus module though that's kind of disappointing, but that's my only complaint.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sizone posted:

Boner jamz, the goon project that didn't crash and burn.

We should do another :madmax:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Your Computer posted:

Boner jamz, the goon project that didn't crash and burn.

We should do another :madmax:

There's this thing that never got finished

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718060&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

maybe we could finish it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Here's another vote for either a new round or finishing the old thing.