Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'll cop to at least smiling without a hint of irony at some of the memetic stuff in Guacamelee, I guess I'm not hipster enough for these forums

No Power made me legit laugh out loud though so my sense of humor can be questioned safely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMSyiJmb248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Didn't they cut the memes out of the Wii U version, at least??

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

codenameFANGIO posted:

Didn't they cut the memes out of the Wii U version, at least??

IIRC they replace them with Nintendo-themed things?

Also I cannot believe that people would let "memes", that being basically just background art in one area and a few bit jokes thrown in the dialog, spoil the experience of playing Guacamelee, one of the most visually interesting and mechanically tight Metroidvania titles to come out in the past five years. Like, I can get if you don't find the jokes funny, but that's such a tiny fraction of a vastly larger game that it baffles me why that's the only thing people talk about when they bring up Guracamelee.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually I kinda wanna go back and 100% Guacamelee now, never did see that ending or even get the last power or whatever

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Also I cannot believe that people would let "memes", that being basically just background art in one area and a few bit jokes thrown in the dialog, spoil the experience of playing Guacamelee, one of the most visually interesting and mechanically tight Metroidvania titles to come out in the past five years. Like, I can get if you don't find the jokes funny, but that's such a tiny fraction of a vastly larger game that it baffles me why that's the only thing people talk about when they bring up Guracamelee.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Especially when some of them are pretty cute or clever reimaginings (eg N+ vs Super Meat Boy).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, I don't get it either. Especially when some of them are pretty cute or clever reimaginings (eg N+ vs Super Meat Boy).

Wouldn't it be la ninja, not el

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really like Guacamelee but it's a shame that the latest version (super turbo?) added really obnoxious enemies that teleport out of your combos. I understand wanting to up the complexity of the game to balance out the new intenso meter, but all it does is gently caress with the pacing of the already-perfect combat.

Sometimes it's better to leave something alone rather than keep loving with it until it's less fun! Like River City Ransom.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ah I see you've made it to the best part of the game.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Is this a game by GRRM?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

limaCAT posted:

Is this a game by GRRM?
Nah, Shadow Hearts actually had a conclusive ending.

I'm still bummed though that there was actual plans for a Shadow Hearts 4 that will never be made. :smith:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

limaCAT posted:

Is this a game by GRRM?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

8-Bit Scholar posted:

80s british games used to put pop culture references as background decoration, so it isn't even a new thing. It also beats seeing super serious fake ads for a fake phone company.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
More like Guacamemelee!!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

VideoGames posted:

More like Guacamemelee!!

Guacamemes!!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
VideoMemes!
Memes are useless!
memeCAT!
The Memenel!
Accordion Meme!
Memediak!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Hi it's saturday morning and I AM STUCK AT loving WORK!!!!
But tomorrow I will waste my life on the division.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Wouldn't it be la ninja, not el

Spanish has some contrary names to the typical "-o means El, -a means la"
For example, the day is "el dia" and the hand is "la mano".

Ninja is one of those words that got added late in the language, so the word was borrowed directly, and it was given the requisite masculine or feminine designation that the standard language assigns.

:eng101:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Subtle Nintendo in-jokes go over well with the Nintendo crowd.

Good one from Super Paper Mario:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKqGKW2kQ-4&t=39s

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

How did you enjoy one of the few voiced cutscenes in shadow hearts hahaha

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ciaphas posted:

I'll cop to at least smiling without a hint of irony at some of the memetic stuff in Guacamelee, I guess I'm not hipster enough for these forums

No Power made me legit laugh out loud though so my sense of humor can be questioned safely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMSyiJmb248

That is a great scene and made me laugh too. I have a MSPaint request. A Waddle Doo getting a haircut but he's really nervous on account of being mostly eye.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
you kill nagas in black desert so unfortunately i cannot condone this game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Now I know why you don't like Chrono Trigger either

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Good morning thread. I feel like gaming today. Maybe I'll get as far as turning on the PS4 and loading up a game and not play for 5 hours.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
3d dot game heroes is... good

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I was enjoying FE Fates until Effie said "*nom*" in one support so I threw the game out at megaspeeds.

Does the despise of memes apply retroactively? Like, if a game inspires a meme does it become bad? Should I hate Tales of Symphonia for having the hot coffee scene?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Also I asked earlier and nobody said anything but is it safe to install Nivida drivers now?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Lady Naga posted:

Also I asked earlier and nobody said anything but is it safe to install Nivida drivers now?

Yes. There's a new driver that's fixed.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Awesome thanx

They should make a game about the no no no cat

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 12, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

It has so many time sensitive sidequests you can miss permanently though :negative:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I never played 3D Dot Game Heroes and kinda wish it was on PS4.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Skeezy posted:

I never played 3D Dot Game Heroes and kinda wish it was on PS4.

It requires a certain love of old-school Zelda to really appeal. I felt like I was missing a bit of the point when I played it, since I was an SNES kid.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Now I know why you don't like Chrono Trigger either
He got stuck on the Dragon Tank and never made it to the future.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

FactsAreUseless posted:

I could never quite beat that game either. Got stuck in some future dungeon with robots and couldn't figure out the JRPG logic of hitting a random switch somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti2fwroyP2A

This 3D Nes emulator looks pretty cool.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

corn in the bible posted:

I feel bad for all the people who paid a huge premium to import it only for it to be released in the US as a budget title a few months later.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FactsAreUseless posted:

He.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sleeveless posted:

I feel bad for all the people who paid a huge premium to import it only for it to be released in the US as a budget title a few months later.

I got it for $15 and definitely felt like I underpaid. Fun game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Did you beat the Dragon Tank?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did you beat the Dragon Tank?

Is this like a euphemism or?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's a euphemism for defeating the second boss of Chrono Trigger, the Dragon Tank.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

She didn't beat the Dragon Tank...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Lady Naga posted:

Wait what's this about Nvidia drivers. Is this a recent thing or

• Locked thread