Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Say Nothing posted:

Homemade log splitter. there's a lot of these on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMsObwqD788

That bald guy is a goddamned retard. By trying to "be safe" about it, he's actually making it far more dangerous. Setting the logs on the rest and sliding them into the path is safer than basically throwing the log at the contraption and hoping that it doesn't spit it straight into your face.

Probably wouldn't use it personally, in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

It's not like log splitters cost a lot. A good gas powered one can be had for a few hundred. Then again, rednecks.

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...

Nierbo posted:

Got my toe run over by a pallet jack at work the other day. Took the big toe nail off. First two pics are a few mins after it happened and the last pic is just an hr ago after I took the dressing off for the first time.

NWS NWS NWS http://imgur.com/a/Yq452 NWS

Steel toed boots are for fags. I applaud your kingly example of manning the gently caress up.

EDIT: You deserve to get injured.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nierbo posted:

Got my toe run over by a pallet jack at work the other day. Took the big toe nail off. First two pics are a few mins after it happened and the last pic is just an hr ago after I took the dressing off for the first time.

NWS NWS NWS http://imgur.com/a/Yq452 NWS

I hope that grows back right for you. I had a toenail inadvertently removed during a surgery to deal with the fact that it was massively ingrown on both sides (runners, you know what I'm talking about), and it grew back as a twisted feeble thing that occasionally pops right back off again when I take my sock off.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

GirlBones posted:

It's true that MSHA are major sticklers but IIRC ~30 people died in mines in the US last year compared to like 1,000 in construction so...

There's useful stickling and not so useful stickling though. When you get two or three citations for smoking near a diesel tank when the "evidence" is cig butts that are pretty obviously 4 months old and got pushed there by a snowplow, I'm not so sure it's really doing any good.

But in general I have no problem with MSHA. poo poo like that isn't good, as is the tendency that I've seen where if they "like" you you're in good shape but if they get pissed at you you're totally hosed (i.e. what is really a non issue and either would have been ignored or at best they tell you to fix it and don't write any paper, turns into "I'm gonna write this same citation 14 times.")

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GirlBones posted:

It's true that MSHA are major sticklers but IIRC ~30 people died in mines in the US last year compared to like 1,000 in construction so...

How many people work in mines compared to how many work in construction?

14.2 fatalities/100,000 full time mine workers:
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/UserFiles/statistics/13g09aaa.svg

11.8 fatalities/100,000 full time construction workers:
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cfoi.nr0.htm

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

JB50 posted:

It's not like log splitters cost a lot. A good gas powered one can be had for a few hundred. Then again, rednecks.

I like the giant screw ones you bolt on to the wheel of an old car to split like 18 inch diameter logs 3+ feet long. They seem a lot safer than the big axe wheels.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

calvus posted:

Being thrown clear sounds great, unless you think about all the hard objects out there like trees, the ground etc, it really is complicated

That and getting crushed when your own vehicle rolls over you.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

JB50 posted:

New, they'll run you a cool grand usually. I paid ~$900 for mine years ago. I cut and split between 7 and 10 cords of firewood per season, and what cracks me up about these guys using their "homebuilt" splitters is that it appears that they're usually splitting perfectly straight grained, knot free, relatively soft looking wood. An axe would be safer, and probably quicker since it would be like splitting styrofoam. I want to see how effective one of designs are when it's put up against a gnarly piece of 100 year old Sugar Maple where the grain runs at 90 degree angles.

Regardless, no way I'd stick my hands near one of those things.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FrankieGoes posted:

There's useful stickling and not so useful stickling though. When you get two or three citations for smoking near a diesel tank when the "evidence" is cig butts that are pretty obviously 4 months old and got pushed there by a snowplow, I'm not so sure it's really doing any good.

But in general I have no problem with MSHA. poo poo like that isn't good, as is the tendency that I've seen where if they "like" you you're in good shape but if they get pissed at you you're totally hosed (i.e. what is really a non issue and either would have been ignored or at best they tell you to fix it and don't write any paper, turns into "I'm gonna write this same citation 14 times.")

The idea is when something fucks up in a mine people don't get hurt. They die.

That fire? Have fun with no more oxygen.

Support structure breaks? Don't burrow into the rock just right? Have fun digging dudes out.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grenade in microwave.

http://i.imgur.com/67saPUG.webm

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That looks like it was fun to shoot

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Not eastern european so clearly fake.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

JB50 posted:

Not eastern european so clearly fake.

Well, that and frag grenades don't blast people through the air with no injuries, on a trajectory matching being yanked by a rope

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

FrankieGoes posted:

That bald guy is a goddamned retard. By trying to "be safe" about it, he's actually making it far more dangerous. Setting the logs on the rest and sliding them into the path is safer than basically throwing the log at the contraption and hoping that it doesn't spit it straight into your face.

Probably wouldn't use it personally, in any case.
Pretty sure those guys know how to use it and play it up for the yucks by using it entirely wrong.

Say Nothing posted:

Grenade in microwave.
Why the hell would anyone bother spending so much effort on something so boring and obvious? Edit: Oh right, idiots who think jump scares are worthwhile to anyone.

Oh hey, here's the original, that's actually kinda worth watching, even though it's still 90% fake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBscQZkOzdo

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 11, 2016

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Toaster oven. :colbert:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Say Nothing posted:

Homemade log splitter. there's a lot of these on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMsObwqD788

Here's one that's not actually bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk-XcO7mcD0

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Would that really be any more forceful? For him to strike downward into the wood he'd need to be struggling against the force of the spring. Unless I'm missing something physics-wise.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

CommonShore posted:

Would that really be any more forceful? For him to strike downward into the wood he'd need to be struggling against the force of the spring. Unless I'm missing something physics-wise.

The chopping head is probably quite heavy, and the spring is barely enough to hold it up. Give it a small assist and gravity and inertia handle the rest.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Mithaldu posted:

Pretty sure those guys know how to use it and play it up for the yucks by using it entirely wrong.
Why the hell would anyone bother spending so much effort on something so boring and obvious? Edit: Oh right, idiots who think jump scares are worthwhile to anyone.

Oh hey, here's the original, that's actually kinda worth watching, even though it's still 90% fake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBscQZkOzdo

Blue handle on the grenade, I knew it was a dummy the moment I saw it. Also figured they used tannerite in the explosion. Always wanted to play with "reactive" targets myself.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yesterday 2 guys climbed into the kilns to fix something, neither of them are trained for it and with no assistance or protection either.

Today, a rabbit found its way into on our stone piles and now its being cooked along with our pavers.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

"KLYV IV" is a pretty :black101: name

On the subject of being safe because it's only your sister company being shut down:

I was a manager at Ameridose, a high volume compounding pharmacy who had a sister company in the next town called NECC. NECC, due to being built adjacent to a recycling plant and just by cutting corners, sent out a couple hundred doses of the injectable spinal steroid methylprednisolone contaminated with fungal meningitis. 800+ people got sick, 64 died, and NECC was closed pending investigation by the FDA and CDC. Since NECC and Ameridose had the same owners and upper management, they knew that the blood was in the water and that Ameridose would be inspected next, so they set about getting everything in order.

NECC and Ameridose's biggest selling point to customers was "same day turnaround", meaning that they could have a drug order custom made and on a truck the day it was ordered by the hospital, and charged a significant premium for the service. The problem with this is that it left a maximum of 12 hours for QC to test and recall batches of drug, diluent, and other elements before it was out the door, this was "compounded" by another factor in the compounding pharmacy business model: copyrights and patents on drugs exist and are honored only while you have the ability to make them, so Ameridose would buy up all of a raw ingredient necessary to make a drug sold solely by another manufacturer, and when that other manufacturer's production lines shut down anyone with the ability to make the drug can now legally set their own price to sell it. For example, after buying all of the raw stock to manufacture the cancer drug Ondansitron, we are suddenly allowed to sell the 12¢ syringes for $15 a pop until the licensed manufacturer is able to again, pumping out 60,000 units a day that the hospitals gladly bought in a panic because of the perceived shortage in the market. They're hospitals, they can afford it.

This mix of same day turnaround and frenetic production in tight windows of opportunity led to significant strain on our QC department, and some corners were cut. Our QC department was very good at catching and recalling bad batches of a drug quickly, but none of the follow-up due diligence was being done after the fact. Once the bad drug was taken off the truck, nobody was going back to to identify the root cause, like contaminated diluent, defective bags, or a tech scratching their ball rash too much. Once upper management realized that this wasn't being done and that the CDC and FDA inspectors were going to be on-site at any day, they did the only sensible thing: printed out 2 years of backdated documentation and ordered a QC tech to falsify the paperwork. She did, and immediately blew the whistle to the inspectors.
The owners were arrested at their homes, and the lead pharmacist was caught at the airport trying to flee to Hong Kong. Ameridose and NECC subsequently filed for bankruptcy under the weight of the lawsuits and fines.

PS: I hated the place and left a few weeks before the shitstorm hit for unrelated reasons.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

You forgot to mention the actual fuckups. From Wikipedia:

quote:

A bird was observed flying around inside the building in an area where finished drugs are stored
Insects were found in an area where finished drugs are stored
Gaps were observed underneath doors and "pass-through boxes"
Thick residues of orange, brown, and green were observed in several hoods where drugs are made
Drugs were shipped out before sterility tests were complete
Ameridose failed to investigate complaints made by customers about its products
Employees would often see bugs and birds inside the company's buildings.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

You forgot to mention the actual fuckups. From Wikipedia:

Yeah, the place was a powder keg, but made so much money that they could make everything go away. Part of why I left.

I was there while they were doing the clean room expansion, with construction crews, HVAC, electricians etc dicking around while trying to run an active sterile clean room. At one point we had a line of buckets over a shelf of oxytocin bags because they didn't seal the roof around the new air handler.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that a prior manager tried to get rid of the birds by poisoning them, but never found the corpses.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Who would imagine that the biggest source of WTF in various ways in a drug production company would be birds. :haw:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Who would imagine that the biggest source of WTF in various ways in a drug production company would be birds. :haw:

The layout of the building made it difficult to avoid. Keeping the production floor at positive pressure only works while the doors are shut, it's kind of defeated when you have a dozen UPS and FedEx trucks come through every day.

The biggest issue they had was their rapid growth in a really short time. They went from 8 to 500 plus employees in a few years, and it was a frequent issue to have a problem arise that nobody had ever encountered before, so they were essentially making up SOPs on the fly without any testing or discussion. If it didn't work you could just throw a few million bucks at it and make it go away.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Robot Lincoln posted:

"KLYV IV" is a pretty :black101: name

On the subject of being safe because it's only your sister company being shut down:

I was a manager at Ameridose, a high volume compounding pharmacy who had a sister company in the next town called NECC. NECC, due to being built adjacent to a recycling plant and just by cutting corners, sent out a couple hundred doses of the injectable spinal steroid methylprednisolone contaminated with fungal meningitis. 800+ people got sick, 64 died, and NECC was closed pending investigation by the FDA and CDC. Since NECC and Ameridose had the same owners and upper management, they knew that the blood was in the water and that Ameridose would be inspected next, so they set about getting everything in order.

NECC and Ameridose's biggest selling point to customers was "same day turnaround", meaning that they could have a drug order custom made and on a truck the day it was ordered by the hospital, and charged a significant premium for the service. The problem with this is that it left a maximum of 12 hours for QC to test and recall batches of drug, diluent, and other elements before it was out the door, this was "compounded" by another factor in the compounding pharmacy business model: copyrights and patents on drugs exist and are honored only while you have the ability to make them, so Ameridose would buy up all of a raw ingredient necessary to make a drug sold solely by another manufacturer, and when that other manufacturer's production lines shut down anyone with the ability to make the drug can now legally set their own price to sell it. For example, after buying all of the raw stock to manufacture the cancer drug Ondansitron, we are suddenly allowed to sell the 12¢ syringes for $15 a pop until the licensed manufacturer is able to again, pumping out 60,000 units a day that the hospitals gladly bought in a panic because of the perceived shortage in the market. They're hospitals, they can afford it.

This mix of same day turnaround and frenetic production in tight windows of opportunity led to significant strain on our QC department, and some corners were cut. Our QC department was very good at catching and recalling bad batches of a drug quickly, but none of the follow-up due diligence was being done after the fact. Once the bad drug was taken off the truck, nobody was going back to to identify the root cause, like contaminated diluent, defective bags, or a tech scratching their ball rash too much. Once upper management realized that this wasn't being done and that the CDC and FDA inspectors were going to be on-site at any day, they did the only sensible thing: printed out 2 years of backdated documentation and ordered a QC tech to falsify the paperwork. She did, and immediately blew the whistle to the inspectors.
The owners were arrested at their homes, and the lead pharmacist was caught at the airport trying to flee to Hong Kong. Ameridose and NECC subsequently filed for bankruptcy under the weight of the lawsuits and fines.

PS: I hated the place and left a few weeks before the shitstorm hit for unrelated reasons.

Can make like a funny gif of this happening?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tenzarin posted:

Can make like a funny gif of this happening?

That's what your imagination is for.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hazards in the workplace.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Robot Lincoln posted:

copyrights and patents on drugs exist and are honored only while you have the ability to make them, so Ameridose would buy up all of a raw ingredient necessary to make a drug sold solely by another manufacturer, and when that other manufacturer's production lines shut down anyone with the ability to make the drug can now legally set their own price to sell it. For example, after buying all of the raw stock to manufacture the cancer drug Ondansitron, we are suddenly allowed to sell the 12¢ syringes for $15 a pop until the licensed manufacturer is able to again, pumping out 60,000 units a day that the hospitals gladly bought in a panic because of the perceived shortage in the market. They're hospitals, they can afford it.

That’s one of the shadiest and most underhanded tactics I’ve ever heard of.

I wish I’d thought of it.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Phanatic posted:

I hope that grows back right for you. I had a toenail inadvertently removed during a surgery to deal with the fact that it was massively ingrown on both sides (runners, you know what I'm talking about), and it grew back as a twisted feeble thing that occasionally pops right back off again when I take my sock off.

Is there some method to taking care of it so that it growsd back normal?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It's basically the same as playing the futures market, just with a much more significant chance of winning big since drug prices are so overinflated.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Electrode coffee cup heater (more UL than OHSA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EViyccc2t9w

:stonklol:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

His entire channel is OSHA as hell.

Edit: Disappointed that isn't one of those that rusts all into your drink.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 12, 2016

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Three-Phase posted:

Electrode coffee cup heater (more UL than OHSA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EViyccc2t9w

:stonklol:

I was more scared and nervous watching this video than the one of the guy feeding the cobras.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Robot Lincoln posted:

It's basically the same as playing the futures market, just with a much more significant chance of winning big since drug prices are so overinflated.

It’s cornering the market, except that the corner kills two birds with one stone by shutting down the patents.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/O8YkOYI.gifv

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 12, 2016

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
http://i.imgur.com/GL9Je3O.gifv

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

I fell like in any well-ordered society this sort of tactic wouldn't just end in prosecution, but in people being dragged from their offices and hung from lamp posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I fell like in any well-ordered society this sort of tactic wouldn't just end in prosecution, but in people being dragged from their offices and hung from lamp posts.

Wow. Uh, your av/red text is spot on.