Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

As far as I can tell, the guy from sumotalk looks at his beep-boop numbers and makes predictions on who should win a match. If they do, "ta-da, my data predicted it!" if they don't it's clearly match fixing, how could his *~precedent~* be wrong? Let's scrutinise these "dodgy" matches and find evidence. Classic confirmation bias. And then this "clear match fixing" becomes a *~precedent~* in itself to back up anything that doesn't agree with his perfect predictions, and now there's a banzuke-wide conspiracy to make Kotoshogiku win Hatsu 2016.

I've never seen sumotalk but it doesn't sound like a particularly joyful place. Doesn't screaming about match fixing constantly just take the fun out of the sport?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I started reading sumotalk in 2012. It's been going for several years before that too. Mike has been putting commentary up since the beginning and his stuff has become pretty insufferable in the last year or so. I don't remember which tournament it was exactly, but in a pre-tournament report he just started going off about his right-wing political opinions and comparing people who believe sumo is real to people who believe in climate change. That's where I really turned on him, because before that he was still critical, but at least he was somewhat good-natured about it.

Right now there's one other contributor to the site called Harvye. He's relatively new but he gives good play by play analysis.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kikkoman posted:

I started reading sumotalk in 2012. It's been going for several years before that too. Mike has been putting commentary up since the beginning and his stuff has become pretty insufferable in the last year or so. I don't remember which tournament it was exactly, but in a pre-tournament report he just started going off about his right-wing political opinions and comparing people who believe sumo is real to people who believe in climate change. That's where I really turned on him, because before that he was still critical, but at least he was somewhat good-natured about it.

Right now there's one other contributor to the site called Harvye. He's relatively new but he gives good play by play analysis.

He seriously seems to be going down the paranoia mental illness path. He posted a giant wall of text after Hatsu and its starting to feel like Sumo Time Cube. He seems to seriously believe that posting this crazy commentary on his tiny english blog is going to blow a hole open in the festering underworld of sumo or something. Otherwise why would you submit yourself to such personal misery?

I don't understand the play by play too much when we have youtubes all over the place, but I suppose some people would like that.

It's not even self consistent:
http://www.sumotalk.com/mhatsu16-2.htm
Pre-basho: They're lazy and don't have to change anything because sumo popularity is crazy! (true)

http://www.sumotalk.com/mhatsu16-3.htm
After-basho: All the fans are leaving in disgust! (what)

Its crazy. Even if it was real, we're such a tiny tiny portion of the audience, NSK doesn't give a drat what any of us thinks. The $150 a basho for streaming is evidence. The only reason the youtube videos still exist is because Osunaarashi complained publicly so his dad could watch (and probably a lot of private complaints as its THE resource to scout lower division opponents.)

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 21, 2016

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
So he's just a conspiracist nut who happens to watch sumo then

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I regret to inform you I've just discovered that one of the most famous sumotori in history had a career consisting almost entirely of fixed matches.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

I don't understand the play by play too much when we have youtubes all over the place, but I suppose some people would like that.
Matches are over so quickly that it's hard to understand what exactly happened sometimes & it's good to see the perspective of someone who's been at it for longer than myself.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kikkoman posted:

Matches are over so quickly that it's hard to understand what exactly happened sometimes & it's good to see the perspective of someone who's been at it for longer than myself.

The slo-mo replays that we've been seeing more often have exponentially improved my understanding of what tactically goes on during a match. Particularly with grip shifting and how they utilize their hips. Once you've been watching long enough you can usually tell the exact moment that a match was won or lost.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Kikkoman posted:

I don't remember which tournament it was exactly, but in a pre-tournament report he just started going off about his right-wing political opinions and comparing people who believe sumo is real to people who believe in climate change. That's where I really turned on him, because before that he was still critical, but at least he was somewhat good-natured about it.

Ah well at least I know I don't have to read his stuff.

There's another writer who posted on the sumoforum website called Mark Buckton. I think he might even write stuff for some of the bigger English newspapers in Japan. Anyway, he's a "Political correctness gone mad! Why is there a black history month but not a white history month??? Why a gay pride day but not a straight pride day???" idiot. He doesn't put it in his articles but just knowing he's like that makes me completely unable to read his stuff

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I think the worst bit about the sumotalk/climate change thing was that it was based on his inability to distinguish between "weather" and "climate".

It just heavily underlined for me a lack of actual analysis skills.

I recommend just following the rikishi on Twitter instead. Much better for your mental health.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Banzuke is out

code:
Harumafuji   Y1   Hakuho
Kakuryu      Y2   ---
Kotoshogiku  O1   Kisenosato
Goeido       O2   Terunofuji
Yoshikaze    S    Toyonoshima
Tochiozan    K    Takarafuji

Kotoyuki     M1   Takayasu
Okinoumi     M2   Tochinoshin
Aoiyama      M3   Aminishiki
Ikioi        M4   Sokokurai
Kyokushuho   M5   Shohozan
Myogiryu     M6   Shodai
Takekaze     M7   Kaisei
Takanoiwa    M8   Chiyotairyu
Toyohibiki   M9   Sadanoumi
Gagamaru     M10  Tamawashi
Ichinojo     M11  Amuru
Tokushoryu   M12  Hidenoumi
Chiyootori   M13  Mitakeumi
Daishomaru   M14  Daieisho
Satoyama     M15  Kitataiki
Akiseyama    M16  ---
With both Goeido and Terunofuji kadoban and Kotoshogiku on a 'Yokozuna Run' its unlikely but possible that Kisenosato is the only remaining Ozeki after this basho.

To see where Osunaarshi and Endo landed
code:
Osunaarashi  J1   Seiro
Asasekiryu   J2   Nishikigi
Fujiazuma    J3   Homarefuji
Sadanofuji   J4   Kagayaki
Arawashi     J5   Kagamio
Endo         J6   Jokoryu
Chiyonokuni  J7   Azumaryu
Kitaharima   J8   Ishiura
Asahisho     J9   Tsurugisho
Chiyoshoma   J10  Chiyoo
Tenkaiho     J11  Chiyomaru
Asabenkei    J12  Onosho
Dewahayate   J13  Amakaze
Shotenro     J14  Kyokutaisei

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
drat, they promoted an 8-7 all the way from J5. Not sure how you can justify dropping Osunaarashi while doing that.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Konstantin posted:

drat, they promoted an 8-7 all the way from J5. Not sure how you can justify dropping Osunaarashi while doing that.

Not only that, but a 30 year old guy who's been Juryo his whole career. Usually they only promote edge cases like that if they are someone who's already been in Makuuchi.

All the luck from that went to Chiyoootori (M10 -> M13 on only 5 wins), and Kitataiki (No rank change on 7 wins)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The important thing to remember is that Kotoyuki's now high enough on the banzuke to fight 'bark' at and get smashed by Hakuho.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
:tinfoil:

Endo is in juryo so less people will see his career ending injury and they won't have to reconsider injury options.

Osuunarashi down there because drat Japan, you racist.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
Osuunarashi posted on his facebook account that he will be Juryo 1 and is aiming for a Juryo yusho. Best of luck to him!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm really pleased to see Sokokurai up at M4, but it's going to be a hell of a meatgrinder this time out with a full set of Yokozuna and Ozeki and a really strong banzuke all the way down to the mid maegashira. I don't think there's anybody hilariously out of place .

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I really want to see Kotoshougiku win again :)

It really was awesome seeing him get those quick wins with the same belly bump maneuver almost each time. Dude was like the Ronda Rousey of sumo.

Also hoping that Osunaarashi quickly climbs back up.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

MrSmokes posted:

I really want to see Kotoshougiku win again :)

I think the whole world would love to see him pull it off - basically zero reason to root against him unless you truly think he's a fluke and could not at least be as good as Kakuryu.

I'm really interested to see how Hakuho and Harumafuji are going to play it against Kotoshogiku. I kept holding my breath waiting for a henka last basho and it never happened, but I'm not a bit any less sure about it happening this time around.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Fryhtaning posted:

I think the whole world would love to see him pull it off - basically zero reason to root against him unless you truly think he's a fluke and could not at least be as good as Kakuryu.

I'm really interested to see how Hakuho and Harumafuji are going to play it against Kotoshogiku. I kept holding my breath waiting for a henka last basho and it never happened, but I'm not a bit any less sure about it happening this time around.

Awp! Let's not be too quick here. I can think of ONE guy at least who would not love to see another Kotoshogiku yusho...

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Awp! Let's not be too quick here. I can think of ONE guy at least who would not love to see another Kotoshogiku yusho...

What the gently caress

Did Kotoshogiku tsukidashi that guy's wife?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Fryhtaning posted:

What the gently caress

Did Kotoshogiku tsukidashi that guy's wife?

That guy looks and sounds like someone that went to law school, but didn't do very well, and is now a public defender who doesn't try quite hard enough.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Man. There's a thing on TV now about the Kitanoumi-Wajima rivalry. So good. Kitanoumi had a body not unlike Kotoshogiku's. The guy had way better technique and skill, though. I've said it before but if they're still up, watch the year by year sumo highlights that Araibira posted awhile ago. They really inform you of the history and evolution of styles and once you hit the late 60s, it's super fun to watch.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Dr.Radical posted:

Man. There's a thing on TV now about the Kitanoumi-Wajima rivalry. So good. Kitanoumi had a body not unlike Kotoshogiku's. The guy had way better technique and skill, though. I've said it before but if they're still up, watch the year by year sumo highlights that Araibira posted awhile ago. They really inform you of the history and evolution of styles and once you hit the late 60s, it's super fun to watch.

This sounds awesome. Where would one find these videos?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

This sounds awesome. Where would one find these videos?

Let me see if I can find them. They used to be on Araibira's YouTube channel but he changed channels once or twice.

Edit: I guess when he changed channels he deleted them. Bummer!

Edit 2: Well I guess someone else posted them. Check em out! https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=national+art+of+sumo

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 7, 2016

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Dr.Radical posted:

Let me see if I can find them. They used to be on Araibira's YouTube channel but he changed channels once or twice.

Edit: I guess when he changed channels he deleted them. Bummer!

Edit 2: Well I guess someone else posted them. Check em out! https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=national+art+of+sumo

Most excellent! Thanks so much.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
For some reason the volume numbers are not in chronological order. There's a compilation of all the Yokozuna dohyoiri somewhere in there too that is pretty interesting.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

For some reason the volume numbers are not in chronological order. There's a compilation of all the Yokozuna dohyoiri somewhere in there too that is pretty interesting.

Is it labelled as a compilation of dohyo-iri or is just in one of the volumes?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I think it's in one of the volumes. Like half of it is the dohyoiri and the other half is a year or two of matches.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Cool, I'll have a poke then.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

SUMO TIME DAY ONE: https://youtu.be/VbF8gUThyzM

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
That was a crazy-good first day

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Yeah, there were a bunch of pretty solid bouts.

Good to see Terunofuji back.

Kotoshogiku came out like a rocket - so fast! Impressed Takayasu held him off for so long.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmaxJDRkAiw

Let's see if it can meet the high bar Day 1 set.

E: Not quite, mainly because the yokozunae held serve today. Still a pretty good day of sumo though.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 14, 2016

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kotoyuki barked at Hakuho then matta'd him and it was beautiful.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Elissimpark posted:

Kotoyuki barked at Hakuho then matta'd him and it was beautiful.

Got a tachi-ai bitch slap for his troubles too.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

If I was Kotoyuki, I'd say it was well worth it. I reckon if he hadn't fallen off the dohyo he may have got an Ichinojo-sized slap as well.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I really hope Terunofuji has a good basho. He's had awful luck with injuries since reaching Ozeki. Watching him now makes me nervous.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Absolutely everyone looks healthy right now, too. Oosuna also looks strong down in Juryo, as does Endo (who hasn't had any bandages on in the first two days).

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STwYxZKU5N8

All yokozuna have lost now! This could end up getting really crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Final match was easily MOTN.

Kotoshogiku basically steamrolled Tochinoshin :staredog:

Kotoyuki steamrolled Harumafuji:psypop:

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 15, 2016