Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Yeah, you can get Master of India. There are some toxic cores to deal with, but with your Ottoman coring discount and admin efficiency you shouldn't have problems affording it. With Ottomans leaning too much on diplo-vassalizing + annexing can be a mistake just because of how much more time it takes to expand, but there's still plenty of time.

for the new page, this is to:

Bort Bortles posted:

Do those of you that have successfully achievement hunted think I will be able to get Master of India in the next 190 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Rakthar posted:

I was interested to see how the mercenary arrangement would work, it appears it didn't go well. Can you expand just a touch what happened during Plucky Bulgaria's Mercenary Adventure?

Another Person was handling this and he'll have a better view than me, but basically people paid him and he went to war. The only problem was he had an unbreakable customer in neighbouring Ottomans, and Ottomans had interests in Asia, so any Asian war had Bulgaria getting involved on one specific side (i.e. functionally, not a mercenary). This annoyed people in Asia, as his troops were capable of flipping wars, and it was basically just a case of getting them all together in one room with the Europeans similarly plagued by Bulgarian interventions.

Should be noted the player had to drop for unrelated reasons: the war was going to 100% him but without the mercenary thing going on I (Tatarstan, yellow) and others didn't need to take him off the table any more.

Fake edit: Bulgaria slot has been filled. We still need a Bohemia sub!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bort Bortles posted:

Alright I just started my third 13+ year regency in the past 75 years (5th Regency this game):

Do those of you that have successfully achievement hunted think I will be able to get Master of India in the next 190 years? I think I should be able to I'm just not sure if there is a different approach I should be taking or anything. I have the whole west coast of India down to the southern tip, and Kiawathar and Delhi are my vassals. Vijay westernized so I am thinking of vassalizing them once they are smaller so I could feed them some land so I can spread out the diplo/admin point costs. Definitely thinking of picking up the Influence ideas sometime soon.

I am also thinking of trying to get "Definitely the Sultan of Rum" or whatever it is since that is an obvious one to get.

I'd step into Muscovy sooner than later for Sultan of Rum, just so it doesn't become a pain. I think you'll have no trouble at all getting Master of India. The only stumbling block might be a Ming alliance and even then you should be able to handle that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

thatdarnedbob posted:

Yeah, you can get Master of India. There are some toxic cores to deal with, but with your Ottoman coring discount and admin efficiency you shouldn't have problems affording it. With Ottomans leaning too much on diplo-vassalizing + annexing can be a mistake just because of how much more time it takes to expand, but there's still plenty of time.
Cool, thanks. Yeah I didnt want to go nuts with my vassals getting too large because it does take forever to annex them, but wanted to not have to rely 100% on admin. I conquered land and released Delhi and Kiawathar, then used subject interactions to convert them since I knew I would not be annexing them that soon. It is funny because Delhi is already over 100 development with like 5 provinces :psyduck:

Tsyni posted:

I'd step into Muscovy sooner than later for Sultan of Rum, just so it doesn't become a pain. I think you'll have no trouble at all getting Master of India. The only stumbling block might be a Ming alliance and even then you should be able to handle that.
I was about a month away from declaring war on them to conquer some land for Theodoro to get me closer to Moscow. They are really weak because they have no allies other than Tver, who has owned Novgorod all game, until they lost it to the Livonian Order (lol).

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Don't you get favor points for contributing in a losing defensive war?

I am allied to Castile as Provence and Aragon decided to pounce on Castile while they had all their armies in North Africa in the first Portugal war there. Portugal decided to not honor it's alliance with Castile so it was up to me to limit the damage. Castile never got their armies home of course so I just sieged down the mountain forts of Aragorn to limit the warscore and picked fights I could reasonably win. At the end of the war Castile had to give up 3 provinces, however what makes me wonder is that I got 0 favor points from them even though my war contribution was like 80 % and their warscore would be quite a bit lower if I had not done an effort to limit the damage.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Bort Bortles posted:

Alright I just started my third 13+ year regency in the past 75 years (5th Regency this game):

Do those of you that have successfully achievement hunted think I will be able to get Master of India in the next 190 years? I think I should be able to I'm just not sure if there is a different approach I should be taking or anything. I have the whole west coast of India down to the southern tip, and Kiawathar and Delhi are my vassals. Vijay westernized so I am thinking of vassalizing them once they are smaller so I could feed them some land so I can spread out the diplo/admin point costs. Definitely thinking of picking up the Influence ideas sometime soon.

I am also thinking of trying to get "Definitely the Sultan of Rum" or whatever it is since that is an obvious one to get.

You'll absolutely make it. Especially with admin efficiency and the advanced cb's you get later on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bort Bortles posted:

Cool, thanks. Yeah I didnt want to go nuts with my vassals getting too large because it does take forever to annex them, but wanted to not have to rely 100% on admin. I conquered land and released Delhi and Kiawathar, then used subject interactions to convert them since I knew I would not be annexing them that soon. It is funny because Delhi is already over 100 development with like 5 provinces :psyduck:

You'll make it for sure, piece of cake. Do you have Admin ideas? Either way, I'd say 'gently caress vassals' and just conquer it all yourself, since you have a >80% discount based on distant overseas and national ideas.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Star posted:

You'll absolutely make it. Especially with admin efficiency and the advanced cb's you get later on.
Awesome, I always forget about the better CBs you get later on because I play so much of the game pre-1600.

PittTheElder posted:

You'll make it for sure, piece of cake. Do you have Admin ideas? Either way, I'd say 'gently caress vassals' and just conquer it all yourself, since you have a >80% discount based on distant overseas and national ideas.
Yup, I went Humanist, Diplomatic, Admin, Offensive, Defensive, and was deciding if I wanted to do Quality or Influence next...
edit or Innovative next, for siege ability Policy

I've been running 75% of my infantry as Mercs and have never had manpower issues even though I sometimes leave my 50stacks sieging forts without taking the infantry and cavalry out. Pretty much been constantly at war except for the absurd number of regencies I have had. Being at peace has let me get even more rich but I dont have anything to spend the money on anymore, except for armies I guess?

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Hryme posted:

Don't you get favor points for contributing in a losing defensive war?

I am allied to Castile as Provence and Aragon decided to pounce on Castile while they had all their armies in North Africa in the first Portugal war there. Portugal decided to not honor it's alliance with Castile so it was up to me to limit the damage. Castile never got their armies home of course so I just sieged down the mountain forts of Aragorn to limit the warscore and picked fights I could reasonably win. At the end of the war Castile had to give up 3 provinces, however what makes me wonder is that I got 0 favor points from them even though my war contribution was like 80 % and their warscore would be quite a bit lower if I had not done an effort to limit the damage.

You only get favors in offensive wars.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Gort posted:

If it is, it's good loving policy. I'll take it over the wall of silence Firaxis puts out any day.

Firaxis games aren't even in the same league as Paradox games.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dibujante posted:

Firaxis games aren't even in the same league as Paradox games.

I remember when "you need to buy all the expansions for it to be good" used to be the thing said about the latter rather than the former.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

What's a good direction for Golden Horde to go in? I feel like I got unlucky this game, the Ottomans didn't like me and Poland/Lithuania, Muscovy, Nogai and Qara just wanted to fight me and nobody else. I felt like I was sending a pretty big hint to the rest of Europe when I reduced Poland and Muscovy to zero manpower, but nobody else wanted to bite.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Playing Sweden, holding all of Norway as cored since a couple decades.
I'm fighting Muscovy & Lithuania.
My fleet is sunk in a battle early on.
12k Norwegian seperatist rebels pops up on Färöarna.
I ignore them, they can have those drat rocks, I got more important things to do!
Start winning war against Muscovy, peaces out Lithuania.
Looks at the rebel warnings, wait what?
*Scrambles new fleet*
Too late, Norway declares independence!
But I keep Färöarna??
This is retarded :negative:

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Yeah I thin rebels have to siege either x% of country they want to release territory or its natural capital makes more sense than we sieged a tiny island and didnt move now we can enforce our will on an entire empire.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
So I just started an Aztec game to see how they play and I have to ask if anyone actually likes how they're set up. They seem very narrow in how they run, with next to no allowance for deviation. The Doom mechanic seem implemented to completely dissuade from overt expansion and the Religious Reforms seem geared towards deliberately hobbling whatever meso-american kingdom you happen to play because it essentially forces all of them to remain static forever and ever. Is it really expecting me to stay small, vassalize five of my neighbors, enact a reform, lose all the vassals and power I acquired and then repeat the process over and over? That can't be right.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That's basically it, and the challenge is in vassalizing people who aren't your neighbors, while whitepeacing with those who are, in order to sustain constant warfare.

If you were to overtly expand, you'd have the whole place conquered by 1470, and then just be sitting around for ages.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
For every reform you enact the amount of doom you get for being large decreases, so you should expand quite a bit.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Too Poetic posted:

You only get favors in offensive wars.

This is not true because I just got 10 favors for helping Brandenburg win a defensive war after Pommerania attacked them.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I think you get favors as long as you don't lose the war (maybe also white peace out?).

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah I guess so. Seems a bit silly that your allies will not appreciate you trying to help when the odds are against you though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Star posted:

I think you get favors as long as you don't lose the war (maybe also white peace out?).

It's this. You get favors when your allies gain stuff based on your war contribution.

No reward for getting them to a white peace.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Agent Boogeyman posted:

So I just started an Aztec game to see how they play and I have to ask if anyone actually likes how they're set up. They seem very narrow in how they run, with next to no allowance for deviation. The Doom mechanic seem implemented to completely dissuade from overt expansion and the Religious Reforms seem geared towards deliberately hobbling whatever meso-american kingdom you happen to play because it essentially forces all of them to remain static forever and ever. Is it really expecting me to stay small, vassalize five of my neighbors, enact a reform, lose all the vassals and power I acquired and then repeat the process over and over? That can't be right.

In my successful Aztec run I definitely expanded like crazy, even in the early game. It's weird because doom kinda reads like you're supposed to go all slothlike, but to me it actually felt more like something I was racing against. Consider that you get doom from having provinces and passing reforms, something you're going to want to do anyway, and reduce doom by killing dudes (large battles and sacrificing your subjects), something that having provinces and reforms helps with. I got into a pattern of reducing every other nation to a single province, sacrificing someone as often as possible, and never letting a truce expiration go without a new war. Got to be big and swole (>1000 dev) by the time Portugal hosed up and took a third of my land in one war.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wow, I was all ready to complain about the poison womb of the von Hapsburgs after I had like three rulers die as Aragon within the space of a decade, but then all of a sudden France is under me in a personal union. That was sudden. Still, they're 86% angry at me and I'm only halfway into integrating Naples. Any tips for walking the GIANT ANGRY FRENCH VASSAL tightrope for the next, say, 50 to 100 years?

edit: also, I'm already supporting loyalists and built up to force limit

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Prop Wash posted:

Wow, I was all ready to complain about the poison womb of the von Hapsburgs after I had like three rulers die as Aragon within the space of a decade, but then all of a sudden France is under me in a personal union. That was sudden. Still, they're 86% angry at me and I'm only halfway into integrating Naples. Any tips for walking the GIANT ANGRY FRENCH VASSAL tightrope for the next, say, 50 to 100 years?

edit: also, I'm already supporting loyalists and built up to force limit

Stay at war constantly. If you have enough prestige to placate them down then do that. If you're at war they can't declare independence. Alternatively, if you have strong enough allies to defeat France in an independence war then just let it happen and you'll get a nice boost for a while. Constantly conquer land so that you can reduce the disparity in your relative power. It can be pretty dicey, though.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Tsyni posted:

Stay at war constantly. If you have enough prestige to placate them down then do that. If you're at war they can't declare independence.

I thought they changed this recently, but I can't remember for sure

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tsyni posted:

If you're at war they can't declare independence.

This is no longer true. Either you placate them with prestige, or you find a shitload of allies.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ImPureAwesome posted:

I thought they changed this recently, but I can't remember for sure

PittTheElder posted:

This is no longer true. Either you placate them with prestige, or you find a shitload of allies.

Huh, that makes things more interesting for sure, haha.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Huh, that makes things more interesting for sure, haha.

You got that right. Incidentally, and I don't know if this is changed, but while vassals can be placated with prestige, personal unions cannot. Instead, by "supporting loyalists" you pay 10% of their income for a constant 20% liberty desire reduction, which for France is about 4 bucks a month. Hurts a little, but it gets them under 100% liberty desire!

edit: my new heir, "who cares he'll be dead in a week," outlived my predictions for him by roughly 5 years, but still succumbed to the curse. Is there a way to view my lineage without having to retire the game? I'm really curious, because throughout this Aragon campaign I've gone through the Hapsburgs and the de Valoises (and the counter-reformation just now fired).

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 13, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Prop Wash posted:

You got that right. Incidentally, and I don't know if this is changed, but while vassals can be placated with prestige, personal unions cannot. Instead, by "supporting loyalists" you pay 10% of their income for a constant 20% liberty desire reduction, which for France is about 4 bucks a month. Hurts a little, but it gets them under 100% liberty desire!

Oof, more good info, haha. I haven't played in Europe in a long time so I guess I shouldn't give advice about PU mechanics :P

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

86% liberty desire is easy to deal with. Max out your relations, build as many troops as you can afford to maintain, stack diplo rep bonuses and make sure your diplo tech is up to date.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm thinking of doing a general Austria playthrough, and trying to decide if I want to focus on preventing the Shadow Kingdom, or focus my efforts elsewhere early on. I'm probably not actually looking to form the HRE in this playthrough, but since Iv'e never seen Northern Italy stay part of the HRE it has some appeal to me. Reading the wiki, it says:

quote:

The advantage to this is about 0.5-0.8 additional Imperial Authority per month from the additional Empire members, depending on how vigilant the player is in freeing and protecting the Italian one-province minors, as well as a small amount of additional manpower and force limit. It also discourages France and Naples/Aragon/Spain from expanding into northern Italy. The disadvantage is that the player's expansion into northern Italy will incur twice as much Aggressive Expansion with members of the Empire, as well as negate the advantages of keeping Italy in the Empire in the first place.

I don't really get what they mean by the bolded part?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It means that if you expand into northern Italy you lose the advantages of keeping that area in the HRE in the first place, because you lose the members and the associated IA gain and forcelimit/manpower.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

It means that if you expand into northern Italy you lose the advantages of keeping that area in the HRE in the first place, because you lose the members and the associated IA gain and forcelimit/manpower.

Ok maybe I'm tripped up over the use of the term "expand"? Bringing those provinces into the HRE is not expanding, but conquering Venice or such is expanding? So I can conquer Venice, Papal States and Urbino to bring that territory under control of an HRE member, but that will make any future effort to conquer the rest of Northwest Italy tougher in terms of AE and HRE relations?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 14, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Say there are forty states in the HRE and five of those are Italian. If you let the Italians leave, you now have 35 states in the HRE.

To keep the Italians in the HRE, you have to annex them, core their provinces, then add the provinces to the HRE, meaning you end up with 35 states in the HRE.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
You never really want to keep them in the empire. Sure, you lose a bit of manpower, but when you conquer the land yourself you can re-add all their territory for a big IA gain. Like that'll be a single reform right there

Plus with them no longer being in the HRE the AE gain from conquering them will be far smaller

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Couldn't you just conquer the lands, core, add to HRE for IA, then release them for more members IA?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Gort posted:

Say there are forty states in the HRE and five of those are Italian. If you let the Italians leave, you now have 35 states in the HRE.

To keep the Italians in the HRE, you have to annex them, core their provinces, then add the provinces to the HRE, meaning you end up with 35 states in the HRE.

You don't need to annex and conquer the existing members though, its all non-members Venice and the papal States(+Urbino.)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

reignonyourparade posted:

You don't need to annex and conquer the existing members though, its all non-members Venice and the papal States(+Urbino.)

What about Florence, Ferrara, Lucca, Mantua and so on?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Gort posted:

What about Florence, Ferrara, Lucca, Mantua and so on?

The land simply has to be owned by a country in the HRE, it doesn't have to be by the emperor. You just need the Papal Italian land, Urbino and the mainland Italian stuff owned by Venice.

I just went and checked it out, and taking the decision to stop the land leaving immediately places all of the relevant land in the empire... and gives you 0 IA. None. You would be far better served taking all that land, letting them leave, and re-adding it immediately than by ever taking the decision

Allyn fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Playing a (probably doomed) Theodoro game right now and the AI actually prevented Italy from leaving the HRE :stare:

Austria still lost the emperorship (and the Burgundian inheritance) to Bohemia, though.

• Locked thread