Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Good question that I should've thought to answer. The usage for this is: I'm going to the junkyard to dick around and will only bring sockets, a ratchet, and a multi-tool.

Basically, I don't want a Swiss Army knife or anything, but pliers wire cutter saw and screw drivers are all mandatory, more could come in handy but not to the point that is likely carry extra bit sets.

I dig the suggestions so far, but they're not robust enough, I think.

I've had a Leatherman, a Gerber and a Coleman multitool but I was never overly impressed with any of them. Then I got a SOG EOD and I cannot testify enough to its usefulness and robustness. I use it constantly at home, work, camping, for everything.

I eventually lost my first one after a couple years but it was still in perfect shape, my second is five years old now and while the finish has some nice patina the mechanisms are all still tight despite huge abuse. Get one, you won't regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Leatherman Surge for me. Reminds me, I broke the pliers in half, need to get that fixed.

I'm a loyal Surge-carrier. I opted for the black-finished one, and it's been an amazing tool. I lost one overboard on the boat, and had another ordered before we hit the dock in the afternoon. Combined with a horizontal carry Kydex sheath that I made, it's the perfect multitool. I've tried lots of others, but nothing else fits the bill quite like the Surge. It IS heavy as gently caress, however.

They've recently improved it with removable wire cutter blades, and gotten rid of the interchangeable bit eyeglass screwdriver. I'd like the replaceable blades, but I like the eyeglass screwdriver. If I ever lose this one, I'll buy a new one.

::EDIT:: Forgot to mention, it takes standard T-shank jigsaw blades in the blade holder. That's a HUGE plus, and means that the saw is actually usable, because you can change the blade.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 11, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I love my Leatherman Rebar. Got it to replace my Sideclip when it finally bit the dust a couple years ago.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Get one, you won't regret it.
This looks and sounds promising. Ordered!

If I do regret it, I'll force your BMW off the road and make you go wheeling again :q:

Thanks, everyone.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That one looks almost good enough to replace my old standby Gerber Diesel with.

Fits in a 9mm mag pouch perfectly, FYI. I'm sure that one will also.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I have the leatherman rebar and I like it a lot.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I have a Charge ALX https://www.leatherman.com/charge-alx-6.html and it's pretty brilliant. All the tools work, the screwdriver bits are actually useful, knives stay sharp... I repeatedly use it for junkyardin'.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Krakkles posted:

What multi-tools are good? I've heard good things about the Leatherman crunch, but it's pricey, figured I'd ask before spending a bunch.

Buckin' the trend here but I think Leatherman makes pretty lovely products that are weak and break a lot, and Gerber is the Apple of multitools. I have a SOG and I would recommend them.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Splizwarf posted:

Buckin' the trend here but I think Leatherman makes pretty lovely products that are weak and break a lot, and Gerber is the Apple of multitools. I have a SOG and I would recommend them.

Same, but the opposite. I had a Gerber before I had the Leatherman, and didn't like it too much. The Leatherman was tight and smooth and opened easily, whereas the Gerber was loose and rattly and required two hands to operate. The jaws of the pliers were kind of sticky, the sliding mechanism was rattly, and it generally didn't have the fit and finish that the Leatherman had.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Charge Ti Here. Used it so much im going to have to send it off to get the blades reground because they are hosed and the files busted in half from a big arsed jacobs chuck falling off a drill onto it

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
I don't like wearing a sheath/holster or having a big hunk of metal in my pocket so I got a skeletool and it's a great as a lightweight carry with you everywhere multitool. The downside is that it is pretty basic and lacks the functionality of these other models.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sharkytm posted:

I'm a loyal Surge-carrier. I opted for the black-finished one, and it's been an amazing tool. I lost one overboard on the boat, and had another ordered before we hit the dock in the afternoon. Combined with a horizontal carry Kydex sheath that I made, it's the perfect multitool. I've tried lots of others, but nothing else fits the bill quite like the Surge. It IS heavy as gently caress, however.

They've recently improved it with removable wire cutter blades, and gotten rid of the interchangeable bit eyeglass screwdriver. I'd like the replaceable blades, but I like the eyeglass screwdriver. If I ever lose this one, I'll buy a new one.

::EDIT:: Forgot to mention, it takes standard T-shank jigsaw blades in the blade holder. That's a HUGE plus, and means that the saw is actually usable, because you can change the blade.

Yeah that is great. I have put a jigsaw metal blade in it for junkyard runs and it saved my rear end.

Also the 25 year warranty has gotten me a few replacements already. I will miss the mini screwdriver but replaceable wirecutter blades sounds great.

e: I think the removable bits for the regular driver are truncated 1/4 hex drive, so technically you could probably fit regular 1/4 hex drive bits in it after grinding two faces further in with a file or angle grinder.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

e: I think the removable bits for the regular driver are truncated 1/4 hex drive, so technically you could probably fit regular 1/4 hex drive bits in it after grinding two faces further in with a file or angle grinder.

yeah you can totally do this, they're just ~1/8" thick slices out the center of a 1/4 hex bit

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of multitools, does anyone make decent replacement pouches? The one for my charge fell apart and the replacement is a different style that looks like it's ready to fall apart already.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

powderific posted:

Speaking of multitools, does anyone make decent replacement pouches? The one for my charge fell apart and the replacement is a different style that looks like it's ready to fall apart already.

If you're set on a soft pouch, then there are a lot of milspec options, or a custom leather jobbie. I'd recommend going hard plastic, however. Kydex is the preferred option, and you can either DIY or find someone to make you one. Horizontal or Vertical carry? Do you want the option like the OE case for opened-carry (pliers out)?

Here's mine. Looks like nothing special, but it fits the tool very well, is molded around my thick and tall belt (Wilderness CSM 1.75"), and has lasted for about 5 years thusfar.
http://imgur.com/a/1ItsB

kastein posted:

Yeah that is great. I have put a jigsaw metal blade in it for junkyard runs and it saved my rear end.

Also the 25 year warranty has gotten me a few replacements already. I will miss the mini screwdriver but replaceable wirecutter blades sounds great.

I've also carried RemGrit blades (carbide grit embedded in a blade) that'll cut literally anything. They'll even cut glass.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 12, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

Same, but the opposite. I had a Gerber before I had the Leatherman, and didn't like it too much. The Leatherman was tight and smooth and opened easily, whereas the Gerber was loose and rattly and required two hands to operate. The jaws of the pliers were kind of sticky, the sliding mechanism was rattly, and it generally didn't have the fit and finish that the Leatherman had.

I recommended the Gerber Diesel earlier. Very specifically that model because it's at least assembled in the US, which seems to be true of the better quality ones. I also have Gerber suspension, made in Taiwan and poo poo kinda lovely. (this is not a ONLY BUY MADE IN USA rant, it's a specific observation of these tools)

powderific posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Barsony-Singl...DXA5G28PAYDJRM9

I hate the ones these tools come with because they sit vertically on your belt. This way you can run it horizontal.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

If you're set on a soft pouch, then there are a lot of milspec options, or a custom leather jobbie. I'd recommend going hard plastic, however. Kydex is the preferred option, and you can either DIY or find someone to make you one. Horizontal or Vertical carry? Do you want the option like the OE case for opened-carry (pliers out)?

Here's mine. Looks like nothing special, but it fits the tool very well, is molded around my thick and tall belt (Wilderness CSM 1.75"), and has lasted for about 5 years thusfar.
http://imgur.com/a/1ItsB

I like vertical carry because I wind up leaving the flap unsnapped while I'm working on stuff. Something that'll still hold the bit holder and a flashlight like I do now would be nice too: https://jonhustead.smugmug.com/Other/Iphone/i-3sDC3hh/0/X2/IMG_2096-X2.jpg I might be wrong, but it seems like a hard plastic sheath for all that crap would wind up bulkier than soft?

Custom leather might be the best option since most of the military stuff seems to be velcro, which I hate. Or maybe I could just get a new flap and belt loop for my current pouch.

Grabbed my Surge for a side by side size comparison. The Surge is a beast:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
One more that i'll suggest if you want a tiny yet amazing keychain/front pocket tool and find yourself playing with electronics a lot is the Leatherman Squirt ES4. It's got enough plier tip at the end to do needle-nosey things, and is a pretty drat good wire stripper. Handle tools aren't bad for the size.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

One more that i'll suggest if you want a tiny yet amazing keychain/front pocket tool and find yourself playing with electronics a lot is the Leatherman Squirt ES4. It's got enough plier tip at the end to do needle-nosey things, and is a pretty drat good wire stripper. Handle tools aren't bad for the size.

I have three of these I leave in various places because they are A+

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I've also been known to carry both my charge Ti and a core on my belt together when doing stuff that's going to require two pliers- like fencing repairs or wiring work.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Jonny 290 posted:

I have two of these that have RadioShack branding from store closures years ago and yeah they're great for work like that.

enkalen
May 26, 2013

literally a fish posted:

I have three of these I leave in various places because they are A+

The Squirt looks nice. May need to get one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've had a Squirt on my keychain for years, it's looking a bit beat-up, but still works perfectly. I've got the one with the pliers instead of the wire stripper, and I cannot tell you how many times it has helped out in a pinch.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I've had a Leatherman, a Gerber and a Coleman multitool but I was never overly impressed with any of them. Then I got a SOG EOD and I cannot testify enough to its usefulness and robustness. I use it constantly at home, work, camping, for everything.

I eventually lost my first one after a couple years but it was still in perfect shape, my second is five years old now and while the finish has some nice patina the mechanisms are all still tight despite huge abuse. Get one, you won't regret it.
You were right. Really well made. Thank you!!!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, I need a recommendation on a welder. I'm a rank amateur with a couple of community college welding classes under my belt, so I'm basically looking for babby's first welding setup. Eventually, after lots more practice and working with some actual welders I know to improve my technique, I'll be using this for light work around the garage dicking around with cars and motorcycles. I'm not beholden to brands, and I'd like to keep it in the sub-500 dollar range.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, I need a recommendation on a welder. I'm a rank amateur with a couple of community college welding classes under my belt, so I'm basically looking for babby's first welding setup. Eventually, after lots more practice and working with some actual welders I know to improve my technique, I'll be using this for light work around the garage dicking around with cars and motorcycles. I'm not beholden to brands, and I'd like to keep it in the sub-500 dollar range.

For under $500, that's gonna restrict you to either a stick machine or a low-end 120V MIG. I'd suggest the MIG for car stuff, there are Lincoln's sold at HomeDepot for relatively short money. If you've got time, and your local CL isn't poo poo, you should be able to find a better machine on the used market. I paid a grand for my MillerMatic 210, with spoolgun and a 120CF tank of C25.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

sharkytm posted:

For under $500, that's gonna restrict you to either a stick machine or a low-end 120V MIG. I'd suggest the MIG for car stuff, there are Lincoln's sold at HomeDepot for relatively short money. If you've got time, and your local CL isn't poo poo, you should be able to find a better machine on the used market. I paid a grand for my MillerMatic 210, with spoolgun and a 120CF tank of C25.

You mean something like this?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Weld-Pak-140-HD-Wire-Feed-Welder-K2514-1/100670934

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, the weldpaks are good little (made for mass market) welders.

Don't forget a tank/tank deposit. Depending on where you are that could cost a bit.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Can someone recommend a brake line flaring tool that doesn't cost an arm and a leg yet isn't a complete piece of dogshit?

Or is this a case of pick one or the other?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Geoj posted:

Can someone recommend a brake line flaring tool that doesn't cost an arm and a leg yet isn't a complete piece of dogshit?

Or is this a case of pick one or the other?

The OEM inline flaring tool is a good option. So is using CuNiFer line, which flares super easily with even a lovely tool.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sharkytm posted:

The OEM inline flaring tool is a good option.

Like this?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Yes. That one. It won't make you want to throw it against a wall in a fit of rage like a bar-type tool would.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I have this set, and it has worked great every time I've needed it. Definitely use Cunifer, it's a TON easier to work with than steel line. Napa has it cheap by the 25ft roll, or you can buy it cut by the foot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008OSCUUI/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

eddiewalker posted:

Yes. That one. It won't make you want to throw it against a wall in a fit of rage like a bar-type tool would.

I've only used the bar-type. Can confirm reaction.

Lighting chat -- the Snap-On work light was back in stock at Costco. It was there all last year and I just kept putting off buying it. Then it was out of stock and only found on Amazon/eBay sellers for ~$60. Back in stock yesterday at the regular $30.

Best $30 you can spend on a work light right now. Super bright, light, moderately adjustable, with none of the halogen heat issues. I wish I had bought it earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiV9SyqPPME

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I've only used the bar-type. Can confirm reaction.

I've never had much of a problem with the bar type once I started using tools (an adjustable or whatever) to crank the poo poo out of the wing nut that holds the line in the bar.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Flaring? lmfao. Just use quick connects.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Preoptopus posted:

Flaring? lmfao. Just use quick connects.

... on brake lines? What :confused:

E: the bar type I have used successfully for many years like Motronic said, but they are frustrating in tight quarters. I do 95% of my brake flaring with an OEM 24364 these days, it grabs steel line way better than even the most aggressive cranking of wingnuts on a bar style one, and doesn't misalign the bars as easily so the flares usually come out better.

Also, I just got my first air powered grease gun, a campbell hausfeld at tractor supply for like 22 bucks. Can't wait to try it out, I bet it doesn't get thrown as far as the usual lovely handpump ones simply because I won't remember to unhook the air line before throwing it :v:

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 20, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

... on brake lines? What :confused:
Yeah, they do exist, though obviously Preoptopus was being facetious.

I have a vice-mounted flaring tool which is pretty easy to get along with. Also seconding the use of cunifer/cupro-nickel lines rather than steel.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I finally have a garage after years of living in apartments and then a house in the city with street parking!!

So, I need a floor jack (and a bunch of other stuff; but I have an engine mount I need to swap that requires the jack, thus it's the priority)
What's the recommendation de jour? I'd rather spend a little extra up front than buy multiple jacks over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Walked posted:

I finally have a garage after years of living in apartments and then a house in the city with street parking!!

So, I need a floor jack (and a bunch of other stuff; but I have an engine mount I need to swap that requires the jack, thus it's the priority)
What's the recommendation de jour? I'd rather spend a little extra up front than buy multiple jacks over time.

Last I checked I had a coupon for a Harbor Freight aluminum racing jack for like $60.
It's the 1.5 ton one though... They're 30lbs.

I've got the 3 ton and it's solid.